Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holiday Turkey cooking on the Egg

Started by hogbud, October 17, 2017, 08:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogbud

Approaching First holiday season with BGE - I've learned lots on this thread and need some simple tips on cooking holiday turkey. Gonna do a practice run soon. Appreciate any help and likely cooking 15-20 lb bird.

Boarcephus

I've done a couple of turkeys on the BGE.  You can do turkeys the same way you do a beer can chicken if you have one of the BGE turkey butt plugs.  I generally fill it up with the Goya Mojo marinate, put whatever rub you want to on the bird and cook it at around 250. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PorkRinds

I rub mine with lots of salt and pepper, put butter under sthe skin and smoke with pecan and hickory wood. Sometimes cherry or apple if I'm feeling Froggy.  Give yourself longer than you think you need.  Don't want to be waiting on the turkey to eat. I usually smoke mine overnight the night before and keep it wrapped in foil til lunch time.  I've also had good results injecting with Cajun seasoning and butter.

PorkRinds

I usually smoke around 225 and figure about 30'mins a pound. You can do a bit hotter and be just fine. At 250-275 I'd say 20-25 minutes per pound.  Use your thermometer and pull it when it reads 165-170.

PorkRinds

Also you're better off smoking two smaller turkeys than one big 20 lb monster.

DeltaBoy

Melt 2 pounds of Butter and a half can of Tony C's Cajun Seasons , Mix well and inject that bird good,  rub the outside with bacon fat and dust with the rest of the Tony C's  and smoke like you like it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 18, 2017, 12:04:45 pm
Also you're better off smoking two smaller turkeys than one big 20 lb monster.

This is for sure.  I haven't done one in 4-5 years but mine seemed to get done earlier than I was expecting.  Don't know if it had anything to do with butt plug filled with marinate cooking from inside and out or what but instead of 4 hours it was done is 2 1/2 or so. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Dad likes to put a Ham on above the Turkey when he smokes them .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogbud

Thanks for input and I'll go with two smaller birds fircsure

hogbud

This was by far the best Turkey I've ever cooked. BGE is amazing!

DeltaBoy