Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the Kickoff

Started by Wild Boarnado, September 25, 2017, 06:47:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Boarnado

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this facet of the game, but I'd really like to know the definitive answer. When we don't have a kicker who can consistently kick the ball out of the end zone, and we are facing dangerous return guys like Turpin or Kirk, would it be better to just kick the ball out of bounds close to the end zone rather than a pooch or squib kick. Seems like the pooch or squib gives up about the same amount of yards as a penalized kick out of bounds. Just wondering.

Thanks for your help.

WPS!!!
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

HotlantaHog

If you kick it out of bounds every time, you give up 10 extra yards. Other team starts on the 35 instead of 25.

When you give up a TD return (75 extra yards as opposed to the 25) you would almost certainly be better off just kicking it out of bounds. But the TD return presumably wouldn't happen every game.

ricepig

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 25, 2017, 07:56:48 am
If you kick it out of bounds every time, you give up 10 extra yards. Other team starts on the 35 instead of 25.

When you give up a TD return (75 extra yards as opposed to the 25) you would almost certainly be better off just kicking it out of bounds. But the TD return presumably wouldn't happen every game.
They have the option of having you re-kick from 5 yards further back instead of taking it on the 35 yard line. So I guess this could keep going backwards every time you kick it out of bounds.

Wild Boarnado

Thanks HotlantaHog and ricepig - I appreciate your help. The receiving team's option of taking the five yard penalty re-kick would be the fly in the ointment. I'll quit yelling, "Just kick the dang ball out of bounds!" at my TV.

Thanks again, guys.

WPS!!!

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Wild Boarnado on September 25, 2017, 02:54:35 pm
Thanks HotlantaHog and ricepig - I appreciate your help. The receiving team's option of taking the five yard penalty re-kick would be the fly in the ointment. I'll quit yelling, "Just kick the dang ball out of bounds!" at my TV.

That can be a good strategy on a punt (no penalty there). Kick the ball high to land inside the 20, or better yet, out of bounds from the goal line to the 20.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 08:11:40 am
They have the option of having you re-kick from 5 yards further back instead of taking it on the 35 yard line. So I guess this could keep going backwards every time you kick it out of bounds.

Are you sure?  I looked that up yesterday and came up with a different answer.  That 5-yard penalty and re-kick only applied if the ball didn't go 10 yards.  If it goes beyond the 35 and then goes out it's the receiving team's ball on the 35.  No re-kick option.  If it goes out of bounds before the 35 it's the receiving team's ball where it goes out.  Again, no re-kick option. 

Anyway that's the way I interpreted it.....?????
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Wild Boarnado

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on September 25, 2017, 04:59:26 pm
Are you sure?  I looked that up yesterday and came up with a different answer.  That 5-yard penalty and re-kick only applied if the ball didn't go 10 yards.  If it goes beyond the 35 and then goes out it's the receiving team's ball on the 35.  No re-kick option.  If it goes out of bounds before the 35 it's the receiving team's ball where it goes out.  Again, no re-kick option. 

Anyway that's the way I interpreted it.....?????

That is a good question - if there is no re-kick and they get the ball at the 35, then that seems like the way to go instead of kicking it to guys like Turpin or Kirk.