Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN still having some trouble by being political

Started by codeHog, September 13, 2017, 02:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

codeHog

trippigs

ESPN greased the skids for this trash by becoming political. They need to readjust to strictly sports.  And, I feel the same way about entertainment folks.....they can be the worst.

IronMountainHog

There is obviously a double standard on how they treat certain hosts when they say certain things. Yesterday they suspended Linda Cohn for basically saying that ESPN has lost viewerships over politics which is true. But do what Hill did and slap her wrist.

havok

ESPN appears they working toward being to Sports, what MTV is to music.

ChicoHog

If Hill had been a white male and said something derogatory he would have been fired immediately.  But she can get away with it.  Double standard. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 13, 2017, 08:18:49 pm
If Hill had been a white male and said something derogatory he would have been fired immediately.  But she can get away with it.  Double standard.

They are practicing what they say they are fighting against.  More people are noticing it

fakenews

Everyone of us will watch anyway because they have the games

dh027

Wasn't Curt Schilling suspended by ESPN when he was an employee for derogatory comments made about Obama when he was president? 

What's the difference here?  If one is wrong, the other is as well.

fakenews

onebadrubi

Quote from: dh027 on September 13, 2017, 08:43:18 pm
Wasn't Curt Schilling suspended by ESPN when he was an employee for derogatory comments made about Obama when he was president? 

One is white and one is black?

NuttinItUp

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-jemele-hill-curt-schilling-perceived-liberal-bias-2017-9

hoglady

I haven't watched ESPN for anything other than games in so long I didn't have a clue who this girl was.

Years back I was a religious Sportscenter watcher - those days ended as soon as ESPN decided they are on the air for issues other than sports.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

greenEGnHAWGS

Welp...looks like we have our newest Arthur Ashe Courage Award winner...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

fakenews

Großer Kriegschwein

It was Transgender bathrooms.

But I wouldn't want to be the dude caught in the ladies room with his wife and kids. Dude is pretty large.
This is my non-signature signature.

Captain Morgan

They fired Mike Ditka for the same thing

Hawgphat

ESPN is following in the footsteps of CNN.  Twenty years ago, there were relatively very few clues as to how the various CNN program hosts personally felt about political issues and personalities; - - not anymore.  I was watching Wolf Blitzer on CNN when he was forced to announce that Trump had just surpassed the Electoral College vote total which gave Trump the Presidency.  Wolf had a shocked, frozen, "deer-in-the-headlights" expression on his face, and could hardly get his words out.  Oh, how I relished that wooden, dismayed look on his face!!!

ESPN is apparently also following (albeit belatedly) in the footsteps of celebrities and the Hollywood crowd who think that the American people should heed The Loony Left's political advice and adopt their liberal perspectives on the basis of their celebrity status - - virtually ignoring the fact that there is no correlation whatsoever between publicity and political insight.

As others before me have noted here, I'll watch the games on ESPN that I'm interested in seeing; - - but if reporters start in on the political garbage commentaries, I'll simply hit the "mute" button - - or change the channel.

widespreadsooie

It's going to be interesting to see how ESPN plays out as network over the next five years

DeltaBoy

ESPN need to take a Hard Right turn and focus on SPORTS ONLY!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I wouldn't watch ESPN in the off-season even if they were to play Dukes of Hazzard  reruns with the unedited version of the General Lee with ESPN commentator Robert Lee dubbing over in the role of "The Balladeer."
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Arkansauce

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Arkansauce on September 14, 2017, 03:26:06 pm
She told the truth, though!

Then Nancy Pelosi and Chuckie Schumer are having lunch and making a deal with a white supremacist.  Idiot.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Arkansauce

Maybe so. Still doesn't change facts. There's years of proof.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Arkansauce

pigture perfect

Quote from: Arkansauce on September 14, 2017, 03:37:02 pm
So are you saying that Jemele Hill didn't state fact?
if he's not, I am. She is speaking from her own personal experiences, but it doesn't make them a fact. Check out who Trump has hired both in personal business and while he's been in office. He's hired too many blacks and Jews to qualify.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Arkansauce on September 14, 2017, 03:37:02 pm
So are you saying that Jemele Hill didn't state fact?

That's what I'm saying.  It's her opinion which I find ridiculous.  I'm not a fan of Trump, either.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Typical idiots today can't make a valid argument, so they name call.  The names du jour include, but are not limited to, racist, homophobe, bigot, transphobe, white supremacist, and even white male.

Arkansauce

Quote from: The Chief on September 14, 2017, 03:46:17 pm
That's what I'm saying.  It's her opinion which I find ridiculous.  I'm not a fan of Trump, either.

How is it an opinion when there is plenty of evidence to prove her statement true?

Arkansauce

Quote from: The Chief on September 14, 2017, 03:48:32 pm
Typical idiots today can't make a valid argument, so they name call.  The names du jour include, but are not limited to, racist, homophobe, bigot, transphobe, white supremacist, and even white male.

So what does that make you? You're name calling also.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Arkansauce on September 14, 2017, 03:50:14 pm
How is it an opinion when there is plenty of evidence to prove her statement true?

I'm not going to play your stupid question game.  You have proof that isn't opinionated and chock full of spin?  Post it.  If not, go away.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Arkansauce on September 14, 2017, 03:51:21 pm
So what does that make you? You're name calling also.

Idiot is a valid description which can be found in the dictionary.  It is defined as a stupid person.  A stupid person cannot make a valid argument.  It's not name calling.  It's aptly describing someone.