Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now, on to the topic of Jeff Long and his future at Arkansas

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 13, 2017, 11:19:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I have never heard anything complimentary or exemplary regarding Mr. Long's accomplishments. He has presided over past 10 seasons of Arkansas football and basketball as AD.

The chancellor reviews the AD's job annually. At what point does the chancellor change priorities from past year's revenue and bottom line profit to likely future revenue and bottom line profit?

His last 3 coaching hires have been mediocre at best. I don't know how you can give him a grade any higher than a C on this (Petrino, Anderson and Bielema). Are we a C grade athletic dept? Do we have C grade level funds, fan support, student body, and facilities? If answer to this is "yes", then the chancellor should be content with Long's job as the AD.

My thinking is evolving here. I never give the AD a single thought. But he is the one controlling the dept and the hires and fires. At least he does the leg work on the hiring and firing. He has to take ownership of it for sure. Buck stops at his desk eventually. Broyles had good success as AD, especially from '75 to '97. He got too old after that. The job Long has done in a decade pales in comparison to what Broyles did in his first 10 years as AD.

The chancellor needs to consider what a better AD could bring to Arkansas.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Pig in the Pokey

I hate to mention JFB's passing, but, it has brought him back to the thought stream and seeing a legendary AD next to Long is such a stark contrast. I would give Long credit for plucking Petrino from the NFL mid-season except he doesnt deserve any credit for it as it wasn't his idea, and he in fact had to be pushed into even talking to BP. Long's facility improvements are good, I'll give him that. But , seriously, he is at best a mediocre AD. And he has tried to entrench himself with the whole integrity dog-n-pony show, which is just a bad look imo.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HillBillyHogfan

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Hogwild

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:19:34 am
His last 3 coaching hires have been mediocre at best. I don't know how you can give him a grade any higher than a C on this (Petrino, Anderson and Bielema)

Don't forget John L.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hogwild on September 13, 2017, 11:39:09 am
Don't forget John L.
Good Lord. I did forget him! Talk about the biggest strike against Long in his 10 years. That was a colossal disaster. Talk about setting the program back multiple years. Worst judgement in the history of athletic directors in all of college football. That takes his job performance down to a D in my opinion. Are we a D grade program?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 13, 2017, 11:37:11 am
I would give Long credit for plucking Petrino from the NFL mid-season except he doesnt deserve any credit for it as it wasn't his idea, and he in fact had to be pushed into even talking to BP.

Long's facility improvements are good, I'll give him that. But , seriously, he is at best a mediocre AD.

Two things:
Facilities?  We are only a bit above average in the SEC

On Long and Petrino; what you said tells the whole story.  If we ever are going to move beyond CBB, Long MUST go first.

DeltaBoy

Long gets a D in my book, He is ruining the program like he did at Pitt!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razoredge178

Calling All Hogs

The best suggestion I have seen yet is to fire Long and go after the AD at Arkansas State University.

Hogwild

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 13, 2017, 11:57:27 am
The best suggestion I have seen yet is to fire Long and go after the AD at Arkansas State University.
I live in Jonesboro. Trust me we don't want the ASU AD.

hogcard1964

Say what you will about Bielema's coaching ability, or lack thereof, but our real problem is Long.  If you want changes, get the word out on him.

baitshop

I have never heard anything complimentary or exemplary regarding Mr. Long's accomplishments. He has presided over past 10 seasons of Arkansas football and basketball as AD.

The chancellor reviews the AD's job annually. At what point does the chancellor change priorities from past year's revenue and bottom line profit to likely future revenue and bottom line profit?

His last 3 coaching hires have been mediocre at best. I don't know how you can give him a grade any higher than a C on this (Petrino, Anderson and Bielema). Are we a C grade athletic dept? Do we have C grade level funds, fan support, student body, and facilities? If answer to this is "yes", then the chancellor should be content with Long's job as the AD.

My thinking is evolving here. I never give the AD a single thought. But he is the one controlling the dept and the hires and fires. At least he does the leg work on the hiring and firing. He has to take ownership of it for sure. Buck stops at his desk eventually. Broyles had good success as AD, especially from '75 to '97. He got too old after that. The job Long has done in a decade pales in comparison to what Broyles did in his first 10 years as AD.

Kicker misses 2 FG's and the AD has to die?

SMH.....mental masturbation.

Only irrational, knee jerk, buffoons want to fire, what many across the country consider, a Top 5 AD who has hired the 2 most respected coaches that would consider taking over our dumpster fires after Petrino (and his Johnson) and Pelphrey left.

I know, I know, "we got enough (Walmart, JB Hunt, Stevens, Tyson etc.) money to, by gawd, get anybody in the damn country that we want."

I sure hope that you boys that are ready to jump off a bridge (or bandwagon) after every loss aren't divorcing your wives after every time they burn the meatloaf.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

Hog-Corleone

For the record, I think it is time for Bret to go.  I think the argument of "who could we get that is better?" is dumb, and is approaching the mentality of "playing not to lose", instead of "playing to win". 

That said, in JL's case we need to ask this question.  While JLS, was a bad hire, I don't think Anderson was, regardless of his record.  Hiring Anderson allowed the university and this fan base to heal by getting Nolan back in the arena, and getting a reunion with that 94 team.  Regardless of what Mike's record here is I will always be thankful for that.  Firing Bobby, right, wrong, who knows, not gonna get into that, we have to move on.  Hiring Bret, well, It sounded good to me when he hired him.  I don't know that I thought he would win an NC or anything, but I did think that he would be at least .500 coach in the SEC after 5 years.  So, I think Jeff is a little surprised at it now as well.

Let's talk about the good things:  New Indoor Baseball Practice Facility, The best Indoor Track Facility in the country, A new girls Softball Facility, The new Basketball practice facility,  The new Football Ops Center, Upgrades to the football practice facilities, past, and current Football Stadium renovations, and I am probably leaving something out.

That's a pretty good list of accomplishments over ten years.   Not to mention the respect that we get from around the country that we get for him.  So much so, the he PRESIDED over the very first Football Playoff Committee.  That should not be dismissed by a fanbase that is constantly complaining about not getting national respect.

Now, if he does make a change, i would agree that his next hire does really need to perform...  The fact that this team is not prepared is not Jeff Long's fault, it is Bret Beliema's.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Tusks

I keep begging for the pro mediocrity crowd to show me what JL has done that is 'above and beyond' his job description.

There were sports facilities on the campus with boosters names on them before JL got there, and having lawyers borrow money to build facilities ain't no scientific achievement.

Give me ONE thing he's done that makes him such a special AD.  The only thing I can get is he hasn't '*******' up.  Well guess what, he has now.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

phadedhawg

It's hard to admit your biases.  Most people won't admit them to themselves, they certainly don't want to admit them on a message board. 

Me on the other hand, don't give a rip.  The only AD I ever knew was Frank Broyles and Jeff Long to me seems like the most un-FrankBroyles-iest hire Arkansas could have made and I thanked the heavens for it.  As a child, when Ken Hatfield was ran out of town, my 12 yr old heart broke in two.  The issues with Nolan Richardson (a mythical hero in my eyes back then) drove me to distraction.  Broyles accomplished things for Arkansas and he is deserving of a rich legacy but aside from moving Arkansas to the SEC, I never witnessed it.  He seems like a mean old man by the time I was old enough to form an opinion about anything. 

Houston Nutt could've never survived a different athletic director but Frank loved them "good ole boys' even more than he loved winning.  That is obvious because he never respected Nolan's winning a national champion enough to let Richardson (a tough man to love I admit) into the club. 

Jeff Long is a business man and with him in charge, it seems less likely that we will have the "good ole boy club" reunion upon the hill. 

Is that a rational viewpoint?  Maybe not.  But it's the truth for me, and it's why I'm not frothing at the mouth to see the professional ran out of town and replaced by the past. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: baitshop on September 13, 2017, 12:02:48 pm

Only irrational, knee jerk, buffoons want to fire, what many across the country consider, a Top 5 AD who has hired the 2 most respected coaches that would consider taking over our dumpster fires after Petrino (and his Johnson) and Pelphrey left.

I know, I know, "we got enough (Walmart, JB Hunt, Stevens, Tyson etc.) money to, by gawd, get anybody in the damn country that we want."

I sure hope that you boys that are ready to jump off a bridge (or bandwagon) after every loss aren't divorcing your wives after every time they burn the meatloaf.
Bud, I am looking at 10-22 in SEC over 4 years. Bad loss at home to a team we beat at their place last year. No progress. Same for basketball after 6 years of Anderson. But wait, the recruiting class is going to raise the program 3 levels, right? The current AD has presided over this. But if revenue and net income is what matters most, then let's keep losing and never being in the national conversation again.

MJ2

phadedhawg

Redhogs

Quote from: baitshop on September 13, 2017, 12:02:48 pm

"Kicker misses 2 FG's and the AD has to die?"......if you really think that is what this is all about and has some fans apoplectic, you are beyond lost.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

redneckfriend

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 13, 2017, 12:03:53 pm
F

That said, in JL's case we need to ask this question.  While JLS, was a bad hire, I don't think Anderson was, regardless of his record.  Hiring Anderson allowed the university and this fan base to heal by getting Nolan back in the arena, and getting a reunion with that 94 team.  Regardless of what Mike's record here is I will always be thankful for that. 

You know that point seems to go over so many people's heads it makes you wonder what fills the space between their ears. Anderson, good, bad or average as a coach was, for the long term health of the basketball program, not only necessary but very possibly the only way to fix things screwed up by Broyles (and to some extent by Richardson). That one hire was, as far as I am concerned (and I don't really think much of Anderson as a coach) reason enough to thank Jeff Long.

Athog

What you don't understand is the total job of a AD. He is not going anywhere.

LRrazorback

Too much Long on Integrity.  Time for a new AD.

Don't forget he wanted to hire Tommy Bowden, who's out of coaching and the Wake Forest coach, can't even remember his name. Thankfully CBP fell in his lap. I'd prefer to hire a new ad before hiring a new coach because I don't trust him to hire the next coach.

Also, as long as Jeffie keeps defending his hire as football coach and not taking action, it only works in our favor because it will eventually make him look bad defending this garbage. However, he's all about making himself look good so you would think sooner than later he'll make a move just to make himself look good.

Redhogs

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 13, 2017, 01:05:20 pm
Too much Long on Integrity.  Time for a new AD.

Don't forget he wanted to hire Tommy Bowden, who's out of coaching and the Wake Forest coach, can't even remember his name. Thankfully CBP fell in his lap. I'd prefer to hire a new ad before hiring a new coach because I don't trust him to hire the next coach.

Also, as long as Jeffie keeps defending his hire as football coach and not taking action, it only works in our favor because it will eventually make him look bad defending this garbage. However, he's all about making himself look good so you would think sooner than later he'll make a move just to make himself look good.
Jim Grobe....who was Baylor's JLS last year. :) :)...and he bailed on long at the last minute here. Can't make this crap up.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

PorkRinds

Your first line is utter horse darn. I stopped reading there.

elksnort

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 13, 2017, 11:57:27 am
I have stated before. Mohajir seems to be one heck of an AD.

If you can't play them, then join them.

Tusks

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 01:15:38 pm
Your first line is utter horse darn. I stopped reading there.

NOW you know how 99% of hogville feels about your post.