Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The stages of grief - ANGER

Started by hogsanity, September 13, 2017, 11:06:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Many of yu are trying to come to terms with the FACT that Razorback football is a average program, 7-8 wins a tear on average. The numbers over all and since joining the SEC bear that out. One of the stages of grief is Anger, and many of you are showing that because you refuse to accept the facts. The fact is that in FBS, a good 40-50 programs are average, and the Hogs are one of them. This program is not elite. This program is not special in the college football world. IT IS SPECIAL to us because it is ours, it is what our state has, and to deal with the fact that it is not likely to ever be a national perennial power is hard to deal with. I accepted it years ago.

What should have hammered it home was the Bama game in 2010. With what was arguably the best Hog team seen since joining the SEC, having Bama at home, a Bama team that would eventually lose 3 SEC games iirc, the Hogs still could not slay the dragon. But that is the history of Hog football. 69, lost the shootout. 77, lost to TX. 79 lost to Houston after beating Texas. The Atwater drop against Miami, the Stoernover, LSu and Fla in 2006, and I am sure we could add some others.

Arkansas is a solid average program. Capable of jumping up and biting a big dog, but capable of huge let downs like last week as well. Just accept it, enjoy the games for what they are.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 11:06:18 am
Many of yu are trying to come to terms with the FACT that Razorback football is a average program, 7-8 wins a tear on average. The numbers over all and since joining the SEC bear that out. One of the stages of grief is Anger, and many of you are showing that because you refuse to accept the facts. The fact is that in FBS, a good 40-50 programs are average, and the Hogs are one of them. This program is not elite. This program is not special in the college football world. IT IS SPECIAL to us because it is ours, it is what our state has, and to deal with the fact that it is not likely to ever be a national perennial power is hard to deal with. I accepted it years ago.

What should have hammered it home was the Bama game in 2010. With what was arguably the best Hog team seen since joining the SEC, having Bama at home, a Bama team that would eventually lose 3 SEC games iirc, the Hogs still could not slay the dragon. But that is the history of Hog football. 69, lost the shootout. 77, lost to TX. 79 lost to Houston after beating Texas. The Atwater drop against Miami, the Stoernover, LSu and Fla in 2006, and I am sure we could add some others.

Arkansas is a solid average program. Capable of jumping up and biting a big dog, but capable of huge let downs like last week as well. Just accept it, enjoy the games for what they are.

I would settle for solid average right now.

Seriously.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jackrabbit Hog

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

I more accepting someone went to the swamps of Louisiana and had a Voodoo Queen Curse us cause we failed to recruit some kid from down there who wanted to be a Hog.
We had more deeper and sadder heartbreak moments than any other program in the County.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mo_Better_Hogs

I think that's a good post 'sanity. Many people here have that opinion, and are at peace with it.

I'm working on it. I guess I'd just like us to be on the UPPER end of the average scale. Better than a 7 win clip, maybe with the occasional 9 and 10 win season. I don't know if there really are people here who expect 10+ consistently. If so, they are living their lives in pain. Only 3-4 teams can exist in that place year to year. And we have no history, in the last few decades, of being in that group.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2017, 11:17:27 am
I more accepting someone went to the swamps of Louisiana and had a Voodoo Queen Curse us cause we failed to recruit some kid from down there who wanted to be a Hog.
We had more deeper and sadder heartbreak moments than any other program in the County.

That's it.

Somebody put a rook on our Nutts after the LSU win in 2007
This is my non-signature signature.

Hog-Corleone

I'm on the down side of anger, approaching apathy, and actually probably there.  At the game on Saturday, about half way through the 3rd quarter, my wife asked me what was wrong, i wasn't mad, I wasn't yelling, I was just like, there... sitting in silence, accepting the predictability of play calling, accepting the lack of team improvement, accepting the lack of player development, accepting the lack of recruiting, accepting the product that was on the field, and praying for mediocrity. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

DoctorSusscrofa

I believe that entirely.  But that doesn't stop me from wanting an occasional '77 + Orange Bowl.  Every hog oughta get an acorn once in a while.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

code red

Arkansas can compete if we run the right offense.  Currently we are not. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 13, 2017, 11:33:30 am
I'm on the down side of anger, approaching apathy, and actually probably there.  At the game on Saturday, about half way through the 3rd quarter, my wife asked me what was wrong, i wasn't mad, I wasn't yelling, I was just like, there... sitting in silence, accepting the predictability of play calling, accepting the lack of team improvement, accepting the lack of player development, accepting the lack of recruiting, accepting the product that was on the field, and praying for mediocrity. 
Agreed.  My wife called me after vigil mass and asked what the score was?  I said idk I am not watching.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Tusks

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 13, 2017, 11:21:41 am
31% SEC record isn't "average".

It is to some of these dip weeds.

The wonders of a government check.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogwild

Many of you are trying to come to terms with the FACT that Razorback football is a average program, 7-8 wins a tear on average.

Since Long took over nearly ten years ago, we aren't meeting those 'average' standards. We are still riding Houston Nutt's coattails to reach those numbers.

In the Long era we have a SEC record of 29-43, worse conference record among SEC West teams, and overall record of 64 wins and 53 losses.  :puke:

bphi11ips

No one in their right mind believes that Arkansas is "elite".  No one expects Arkansas to be "elite".  No one expects Arkansas to be Alabama or Oklahoma or Ohio State or USC.  No one really thinks that Arkansas in the 21st century is LSU, Auburn, Georgia or Florida.  In the last few years, Arkansas has lost to Mississippi State and Texas A&M and Missouri more than we would have ever thought.  We have lost to Toledo and Texas Tech and TCU and Rutgers.  We would have never expected that, either.  Tech and TCU, maybe, on their best day.

I don't know anyone who is angry because we aren't "elite".  Everyone is frustrated that we don't seem to be able to shake the below average results of the last few years. 

What makes me ANGRY are people who insist that the last few years is who Arkansas truly is, because it's not.  Name the 40-50 programs who are in the "average" bucket with Arkansas - over time.  You can't do it.  You'll look like a fool.  Take the "elite" teams off the top of the P5 conferences and you have 40-50 teams left.  In the "average" year, Arkansas is the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC West.  Whether we have underperformed in this decade, that hasn't changed much.  Maybe with A&M we are the 4th or 5th, but it remains to be seen where we will fall over time after A&M joined the conference.

In the AP's annual rankings of the best college football programs of all time, Arkansas comes in at 19, two places ahead of A&M:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/01/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

You can say all you want to that the rankings are skewed by the 60s.  They're skewed by the 70s and 80s, too.  They're skewed by 1998 and 2006 and 2010 and 2011.  But over time the rankings take care of themselves.  Arkansas was around 13 and ahead of Auburn when they joined the SEC.  We've dropped over time.  Have we become average or has the competition increased?  Are our facilities average?  Are our recruiting rankings average?  What is the pool?  130?  65?

Arkansas is right around the cusp of being one of the best 25 college football programs in the country.  Year-in-and year out that is where we fall in recruiting and power rankings.  That is pretty good.  Arkansas is the 33rd most populous state and the 29th largest in area.  So 25th or so in college football sounds about right to me.  Florida, California, Michigan, and Alabama have multiple teams ahead of us, so if you go back to the all-time AP rankings, we are one of about 15 states with at least one Top 20 program. 

Take your opinion on being "average" and try and work them into the facts I just presented.  If that's "average" in your mind, fine.  Most would say you're wrong, objectively speaking.

When we reach the stage of ACCEPTANCE that we are one of 40-50 "average" teams, that's when we need to start worrying about the 5 Stages of Grief.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

codeHog

Dan Skipper's trip against A&M is an example of Bielema's time here.

Shows we can play with most any team we face but will find ways to blow it and the staff will give coach talk and things stay the same

Ironhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 13, 2017, 12:02:24 pm
No one in their right mind believes that Arkansas is "elite".  No one expects Arkansas to be "elite".  No one expects Arkansas to be Alabama or Oklahoma or Ohio State or USC.  No one really thinks that Arkansas in the 21st century is LSU, Auburn, Georgia or Florida.  In the last few years, Arkansas has lost to Mississippi State and Texas A&M and Missouri more than we would have ever thought.  We have lost to Toledo and Texas Tech and TCU and Rutgers.  We would have never expected that, either.  Tech and TCU, maybe, on their best day.

I don't know anyone who is angry because we aren't "elite".  Everyone is frustrated that we don't seem to be able to shake the below average results of the last few years. 

What makes me ANGRY are people who insist that the last few years is who Arkansas truly is, because it's not.  Name the 40-50 programs who are in the "average" bucket with Arkansas - over time.  You can't do it.  You'll look like a fool.  Take the "elite" teams off the top of the P5 conferences and you have 40-50 teams left.  In the "average" year, Arkansas is the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC West.  Whether we have underperformed in this decade, that hasn't changed much.  Maybe with A&M we are the 4th or 5th, but it remains to be seen where we will fall over time after A&M joined the conference.

In the AP's annual rankings of the best college football programs of all time, Arkansas comes in at 19, two places ahead of A&M:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/01/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

You can say all you want to that the rankings are skewed by the 60s.  They're skewed by the 70s and 80s, too.  They're skewed by 1998 and 2006 and 2010 and 2011.  But over time the rankings take care of themselves.  Arkansas was around 13 and ahead of Auburn when they joined the SEC.  We've dropped over time.  Have we become average or has the competition increased?  Are our facilities average?  Are our recruiting rankings average?  What is the pool?  130?  65?

Arkansas is right around the cusp of being one of the best 25 college football programs in the country.  Year-in-and year out that is where we fall in recruiting and power rankings.  That is pretty good.  Arkansas is the 33rd most populous state and the 29th largest in area.  So 25th or so in college football sounds about right to me.  Florida, California, Michigan, and Alabama have multiple teams ahead of us, so if you go back to the all-time AP rankings, we are one of about 15 states with at least one Top 20 program. 

Take your opinion on being "average" and try and work them into the facts I just presented.  If that's "average" in your mind, fine.  Most would say you're wrong, objectively speaking.

When we reach the stage of ACCEPTANCE that we are one of 40-50 "average" teams, that's when we need to start worrying about the 5 Stages of Grief.   

Good post. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on September 13, 2017, 11:20:34 am

I guess I'd just like us to be on the UPPER end of the average scale. Better than a 7 win clip, maybe with the occasional 9 and 10 win season.

we have those. peppered through the program history we have 9 and 10 win seasons. JFB, Holtz, Hatfield, HDN, BP all had 9 or 10 win seasons.

Arkansas is right around the cusp of being one of the best 25 college football programs in the country.  Year-in-and year out that is where we fall in recruiting and power rankings. 

Problem is, half or more of the SEC is ranked higher than that in recruiting, and the teams with better players win more games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

The OP is still processing the loss of his true love, Houston Nutt.

When he moves on from that, I might accept a sermon from him.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 13, 2017, 12:53:11 pm
The OP is still processing the loss of his true love, Houston Nutt.

When he moves on from that, I might accept a sermon from him.

Really? That's the best you've got? ell yea, actually it is your best.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 12:56:48 pm
Really? That's the best you've got? ell yea, actually it is your best.

LOL

I am sorry. I knew that would get you stirred up. It's the only reason I posted it. I am sincerely sorry.

longpig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2017, 11:17:27 am

Longest DeltaBoy post ever.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Redhogs

I shockingly agree with your post, which I don't do too often...way to much "everybody gets a participation trophy" crap going on in this program right now.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 13, 2017, 01:01:04 pm
LOL

I am sorry. I knew that would get you stirred up. It's the only reason I posted it. I am sincerely sorry.

Didn't stir me up, unless someone here posts about HDN he does not cross my mind 10 years after he left. Some of you are the who can't quit him. When you have nothing else, you bring him up.

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 12:42:13 pm
we have those. peppered through the program history we have 9 and 10 win seasons. JFB, Holtz, Hatfield, HDN, BP all had 9 or 10 win seasons.

Problem is, half or more of the SEC is ranked higher than that in recruiting, and the teams with better players win more games.
Was TCU ranked above us in recruiting....Toledo....Missouri...UVA...TT...etc, etc..  The answer is NO.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogsanity

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 01:10:20 pm
Was TCU ranked above us in recruiting....Toledo....Missouri...UVA...TT...etc, etc..  The answer is NO.

and I never said they were.

sickboy

I mean, it's not like we haven't had 25+ years of sample data to ease us into this fact.

GoHogzzGo

Every program is as good as its coach. Bama was crap before Saban for a long time. Michigan was crap before Harbaugh for a while. Petrino won back to back ten win seasons here, ranked #3, which Sumlin hasn't even done at TAMU.

We just need to find that guy, which is a neeedle in a hay stack and will probably take another 4-5 more coaches. So enjoy the wait  ;)
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on September 13, 2017, 01:32:31 pm
Every program is as good as its coach. Bama was crap before Saban for a long time. Michigan was crap before Harbaugh for a while. Petrino won back to back ten win seasons here, ranked #3, which Sumlin hasn't even done at TAMU.

We just need to find that guy, which is a neeedle in a hay stack and will probably take another 4-5 more coaches. So enjoy the wait  ;)

So Saban or Harbaugh would win just as big at Buffalo or Utah St? A program is only as good as it's players.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 01:35:36 pm
So Saban or Harbaugh would win just as big at Buffalo or Utah St? A program is only as good as it's players.

If they were there better players would follow.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 12:42:13 pm

I've never had a problem with that, and I doubt too many other Razorback fans do, either.  I'd rather play the teams we play now than the teams we used to play in the SWC.  The SWC is not nearly as bad as some here who would rewrite history claim, but it was never as good as the SEC was then or now. 

Lets face it, moving to the SEC meant losing more games.  For P5 programs, football has always been about how many games you win, not who you beat.  We aren't any worse as a program than we've ever been.  I personally think we're better than ever.  We just lose more games now because over half the games we play in any given year are either against programs substantially better than us or roughly equal to us.  The good news is that wins mean more than they used to.

We haven't averaged 8 wins per year since we joined the SEC, but we have won 8 or more 11 times since joining the SEC.  Ten of those seasons were in our first 20 years in the league.  An 11th would more than likely have been the 21st had Petrino not done what he did.  Since then we have struggled more than most of us expected we would, but that doesn't mean we have somehow fallen to a different level.  The 20s were a great decade for the Razorbacks.  The 30s were okay.  The 40s and 50s not so much.  Good programs go through bad periods.  From 1954 through 1958, Alabama's record was 13-33-5.  They didn't win a game in 1955. 

Arkansas has really not had the same quality and continuity in coaches since it joined the SEC as it had from 1958 to 1989.  I don't think many would argue that point.  Petrino is a good coach.  I don't think many would argue that, but he's gone.  We have every reason to believe Bret Bielema is a good coach, but things aren't going his way at the moment.   Other than the last few games, his program has moved consistently in the right direction.  There are 10 games left this season.  We have a lot of talented players who have worked their butts off during the offseason.  They may turn it around.  The defense is definitely better than it was last year.     

We may not win 8 games this year.  We have only done that 44% of the time we've been in the SEC.  I'm personally okay with that.  If we have three or four games again where we beat ranked teams and play well in a bowl game, I'm okay with that.  Every one else should be, also.  It doesn't mean there are 40-50 teams just like us.  Maybe there are this year.  Who knows?  Most years there aren't.           
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2017, 01:41:47 pm
If they were there better players would follow.

YEs, I am sure Saban would get the players at Utah St to win multiple NC's.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 01:35:36 pm

Yes actually, within their normal schedule/conference. Look at what Urban Meyer did at Bowling Green and Utah. I'm not saying we should be winning National Champs. However a coach already showed us in the SEC era we can be a double digit win team. It is all about the coach. Then add a win or two from program history.

GoHogzzGo

I'll state as well. I've been a CBB supporter, and understand it will take many more 7-8 win seasons and coaches before we find the great coach again. I do not live and die with every W/L, it does not affect my happiness the following weeks.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Hogwild on September 13, 2017, 11:57:54 am
Since Long took over nearly ten years ago, we aren't meeting those 'average' standards. We are still riding Houston Nutt's coattails to reach those numbers.

In the Long era we have a SEC record of 29-43, worse conference record among SEC West teams, and overall record of 64 wins and 53 losses.  :puke:

What's the truth that no one wants to know is Nutt recruited better than anyone after him.

hogsanity

Quote from: Captain Morgan on September 13, 2017, 02:24:55 pm
What's the truth that no one wants to know is Nutt recruited better than anyone after him.

Nutt managed, either through luck or other means, to get game changers. I think it was luck more than anything that MJ and Dmac & Hillis and Monk and a few others were born in AR and wanted to be Hogs regardless. Your point is valid though, for whatever reason, no one since has brought those kind of players here.

LRHawg

Therefore, there's no excuse to not be in the top 30 teams every year, with an occasional push into the top 10-20. 

FineAsSwine

A Petrino coached team would have outscored TCU on our home field and we wouldn't be looking a being outscored 70 to zip in the second half of our last three games. We are losing games we have no business losing and its been going on for a while.

No way should TCU have gotten to AA with just a three man rush. So much talent at receiver but nothing in the pass game. Special teams is below subpar.

What's really bad is, if we beat the Shaggies, a certain segment of people are going to declare that we are back on track. Honestly, even if we beat them, I won't really know anything about how this team will stack up, going forward, until we face BAMA. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I don't accept average, even if that's what some might say is our ceiling. Disadvantages can be discouraging and many will give up but look at Stephen Hawkings.

Just find a way to be Uncommon and become exceptional in some way that gives you an edge. Never accept limitations. Never yield and if you are going to die on the battlefield, then at least look good doing it.
Hogs up! Covid down!

LRHawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 14, 2017, 11:08:56 am
A Petrino coached team would have outscored TCU on our home field and we wouldn't be looking a being outscored 70 to zip in the second half of our last three games. We are losing games we have no business losing and its been going on for a while.

No way should TCU have gotten to AA with just a three man rush. So much talent at receiver but nothing in the pass game. Special teams is below subpar.

What's really bad is, if we beat the Shaggies, a certain segment of people are going to declare that we are back on track. Honestly, even if we beat them, I won't really know anything about how this team will stack up, going forward, until we face BAMA. That's where the rubber meets the road.

The staff has two weeks to try and right the wrongs we all saw last Saturday. I'm dying to see how it plays out. Recent history says more of the same, though.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: LRHawg on September 14, 2017, 11:11:28 am
The staff has two weeks to try and right the wrongs we all saw last Saturday. I'm dying to see how it plays out. Recent history says more of the same, though.

Actually, they have had since the end of last season. But, who's counting?
Hogs up! Covid down!