Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Shocked You The Most

Started by hogcard1964, September 13, 2017, 09:18:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

...in our game against TCU?

...and I'm not referring to the fact that we were beat.  Going into game time that was a pretty even line.  I think it ended up as -2.5 for TCU.

I'm going with the overall score.

I expected a real shoot out.  Something along the lines of 40-30 points from each squad, with the Hogs having too much for them to handle via a solid running game, our two backs running rough shot and Allen shredding them through the air.  I thought for sure we'd light it up.

Instead, we scored 7. 

311Hog

Hard to pick one thing.

So a group.

1. Shocked how bad our special teams were.
2. How good our secondary played namely Santos
3. How physical TCU's run game was
4. How poorly our OL looked.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I was shocked at seeing absolutely no indication this is a well-coached team.  None.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

TNhawgfan

That a soft Big 12 school smacked us in the mouth on both sides of the line playing "real American football"
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BassinHawg

That Allen was under center for 70% or more of the snaps. Baffling!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

I expected a closer score. I really thought our offense would be better than it is. Still the most surprising is probably how TCU was just more physical than us and ran the ball so well

Ex-Trumpet

I was shocked that receivers could not get open.  At all. 

Was not surprised at all that no adjustments were made to try something different.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Lack of energy.  D was fine.  The egg laid by the offense sucked all the life out of the stadium.  I know the players care, but the entire game just felt off, meh, whatever you want to call it.  It was bizarre.  No sense of urgency, will to win, or F it we are just going to get this done that we have seen in the past. Psychologically this doesn't seem like the same team we saw in say year 2, 3, or 4.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

oldhog63

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2017, 09:42:01 am
Lack of energy.  D was fine.  The egg laid by the offense sucked all the life out of the stadium.  I know the players care, but the entire game just felt off, meh, whatever you want to call it.  It was bizarre.  No sense of urgency, will to win, or F it we are just going to get this done that we have seen in the past. Psychologically this doesn't seem like the same team we saw in say year 2, 3, or 4.
My sentiments exactly!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 13, 2017, 09:41:22 am
I was shocked that receivers could not get open.  At all. 

Was not surprised at all that no adjustments were made to try something different.

Think it's lack of speed or a poor game plan?

razorbackfaninar

I think I was shocked at how unprepared we looked, and how we played with so little passion.  I thought we would win the game, even after looking flat against FAMU but then I never expected to see the same team come out from the second half of the Virginia Tech game.

I know they must have worked over the summer, but it looked like absolutely nothing had changed.  It looked like we played that bowl-game last week and rolled out this week looking exactly the same from an intensity standpoint.  If they can go a whole off-season stewing over the Missouri and VT losses and still come out and play so flat in the 2nd game of the season there are major issues psychologically with this team.

I have never seen a coach so completely lose his identity over the course of his time at a school.  Bielema came in talking about liking to dominate teams and take their masculinity.  He'd say things like "you can't get ready to play us in a week, you can't get tough in a week." And for a short while that was true.  Even in losses you'd hear people say we were the most physical team, that teams were beat up after playing us. Even if they won it was a Pyrrhic victory, but that is long gone. I am sure the kids are trying but something is missing and I don't mean 5 star recruits.  You see teams every week that are outmatched from a talent perspective and they come out and take it to a more talented opponent, they don't always win but they fight and execute a game plan. We can't do that right now.  If talent equals wins, and I agree it does to a degree, then we should be ranked somewhere in the high 20's, we are't playing like a top 25 team or even a top 30 team.  We are playing well below our talent level so far this season and we have done it at times in the past. I was on board with Bielema and I bought into the fact that he was building something sustainable, but it hasn't come to fruition and it isn't going to this year most likely.  This looks like a broken team. 

Kevin

I am shocked at some of the players who are playing, and who are not
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hoglady

That Hammonds and Hayden (2 of our fastest guys) never really were part of the offense.
That we went away from Williams when he seemed to be the only thing positive in an otherwise anemic offensive unit.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

razorsharptusk

Most shocked when I seen Bielema quoted as saying:

"There won't be a more improved team in the country after next week"

What?  So, we are supposed to believe that he can, in two weeks, correct what he could not correct in a whole spring and summer of practice and preparation?  The issues we have are apparently not fixable under this coaching staff as we are seeing the same results on the field that we have seen the last two years. Hearing the same excuses and coach speak as we have heard for the last 2-3 years.  We look unprepared and unmotivated.  You will not win games playing this way.  I don't see us winning an SEC game this year. Year 5.
GO HOGS!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: hoglady on September 13, 2017, 10:11:27 am
That Hammonds and Hayden (2 of our fastest guys) never really were part of the offense.
That we went away from Williams when he seemed to be the only thing positive in an otherwise anemic offensive unit.

Dayam.

I completely forgot about Hammonds.  He wasn't used, was he?

311Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 10:34:19 am
Dayam.

I completely forgot about Hammonds.  He wasn't used, was he?

1 pass incomplete i believe.

part of me watching it thought this is what happens when players don't truly go hard in practice and take it 80% because they do not want to get hurt or hurt their friends.

Hog-Corleone

Our entire offensive scheme is very predictable.  From formations, to play calling in general, to situational play calling.   After about 10 offensive plays, you give me the down and distance, and formation, I think i could predict the play at 90% clip. 

And I'm no scientific rocket, so think what a decent opposing HC or DC could do.

This is what disappoints me the most...Predictability.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Hoggish1

What shocked me was not being able to run the ball. 

Also, did anyone notice that their running game used a little of what Pittsburg does with their star running back; slow to the hole and pick the place that the linemen have walled off then shoot through.  Might be a flaw in the 3-4.

Biggus Piggus

The gross underuse of the offense's best players.
[CENSORED]!

HotlantaHog

Two missed very short field goals. Can't remember when that has happened before.

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 13, 2017, 10:45:59 am
The gross underuse of the offense's best players.

This. And the lines ability to open holes. Part of it may be the backs missing holes, as that happened a few times.

Pigsknuckles

...how easily TCU crashed into our backfield from the ends. Disrupted both the running and passing game.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

AirWarren

Shocked that in 5 years we look nothing like the machine in Wisconsin.

hogsanity

what shocked me the most is why so many were shocked by the performance. Our Offense is terribly young except for Ragnow and AA. The defense played pretty well, but was also helped out by a bad snap by TCU. The last 2 TCU td's were as much a result of being on the field all day as anything else.

Also the experts, for what it is worth, had the Hogs as a home dog.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tusks

I'm shocked the program has been run into the ground ever further than it was in April of 2012.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sickboy

Shocked negatively by how good TCU's linebackers were and conversely how out of sync our passing game was.

Shocked negatively by how easily TCU ran the ball up the middle.

Shacked positively by how good our secondary has been. When we lost Pulley, I thought that group would struggle. One of the lone bright spots.

lahawg1

Shocked that they (TCU) fumbled inside the 15 twice and the score should have been 42-7

rzrbaxfan

Shocked in a good way:  Our D held TCU to 14 points into the 4th quarter. We got pushed around at the line more than I'd like, but compared to last year, our players seem to be in position a little better and aren't giving up huge chunks of yardage.  I think that will only get better as the season wears on.

Shocked in a bad way: David Williams averaged 6.5 yards a carry and we didn't give it to him more.  Go with the hot back.  It would have taken only 5-6 more touches and he'd be over 100 yards. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 09:50:37 am
Think it's lack of speed or a poor game plan?

I don't think it's a lack of speed.  Some of the greatest receivers in history are far from being the fastest.

And, I think the original game plans work, thus the usually quick starts.  Until the other team adjusts; CBB never seems to adjust--or even wants to adjust.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Oklahawg

Quote from: tusked on September 13, 2017, 01:07:21 pm
I'm shocked the program has been run into the ground ever further than it was in April of 2012.

Gross over-statement. I do share the frustration of not seeing more improvement in places that got better, then inexplicably have gotten worse.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LRHawg

How badly whipped our Oline and Dline were.

pg1862

Lack of adjustments. They kept stacking the box, we kept running right into it. Not sure what else they would have done though as the passing game is broke.

Youngsta71701

The fact that Brian Wallace is not starting at right tackle and that Johnny Gibson or Jalen Merrick aren't starting at right guard ???.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 09:26:30 am
Hard to pick one thing.

So a group.

1. Shocked how bad our special teams were.
2. How good our secondary played namely Santos
3. How physical TCU's run game was
4. How poorly our OL looked.

Co sign.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

IN GENERAL, the lack of "balls," fight, fire, and innovation. It was such a dull, quiet loss.

Think about last year (in clips from the 2016 game we were shown leading up to this one)—Austin hit 4 TD passes. We had a defensive score. We ran a reverse pass, Hatcher to Allen, for a point-after. Then Allen runs the ball in for the game winner.

I was at the game, but have watched my recording of the first half. The booth talked about it.
"Arkasnas feels they're the more physical team...BUT..." —Danielson
"That was easy." —Nessler on TCU's opening TD drive.

TCU was more physical. That's pathetic. If they indeed have the better players, we needed to be smarter. And we weren't.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

phadedhawg

Can't really claim I was "shocked" about anything.  I was mildly bemused that we attempted the 2nd FG but it was so close I thought he'd have to aim to miss it.  Mission accomplished. 

I turned the game off after the PI that kept the TCU drive alive in the 3rd quarter.  I knew how the rest of the show would go.  I know I was in a state of heightened anxiety because I willingly folded three loads of laundry for the family.  When my wife observed me doing laundry, she slowly backed out of the room, told my son to seek shelter and I didn't see them for a while afterwards.   For the rest of the afternoon I think the family kept waiting for me to explode but apathy is a wonderful thing.  Embrace it....let it embrace you....come on in...the water's great....