Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long admits to not even trying...

Started by Malvin, September 12, 2017, 10:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 12, 2017, 11:34:52 am
Danica Patrick makes more in endorsements than anyone.  And that's what counts.

Yep. Just go ask CBB. He's a marketing major.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jeff Long doesn't understand the making of a football team or how to determine what a coach can or cannot do.  If Jeff understood football he would have known that BBs style would be difficult to operate successfully at Arkansas.  We don't get many of the top recruits in the Nation and to do the run you over style of football, you must have o-linemen among the very best.  Your boys must run over the other Guys defense.  We cannot recruit those type linemen.  Linemen that can handle that job can also handle pass protection and will got a school having success in all phases to show themselves off.

Right now, Jeff is moving that goat turd around under those sea shells and trying to deflect his ignorant buyout but it is not going away.  I realize he never thought he would need to use it but he greatly misjudged his HC.  Second big mistake.  Mouthing about winning at all costs.  What, has someone  been saying we should do that.  I haven't heard that, have any of you?  Of course we cheat, everyone does.  We make sure the good players get a couple of more days to take that test he didn't study for and wasn't ready.  We might slip a player 50 bucks that is in a tough situation.  But I doubt we really cheat.  Saban seems to know the rules and he can always find a way legally get around most anything he really wants to do. 

You could say right now that we are losing at high costs.  We have a HC who is giving little for a lot.  What kind of example is that to the Kids he assists in letting down. 

Danny J

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 10:54:55 am
Did we pass on Damarea Crockett because we're not a win at all cost program?  I read on here that we passed on him for off the field reasons. 

Win at all cost doesn't necessarily mean you have to cheat but in the SEC you HAVE to take grade risks and behavior risks.  If you're Arkansas, you have to to compete.
This

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:27:44 am
I don't think so. If you get anyone in here with a Type-A personality that is very hands-on, I'm pretty sure that we could meet our expectation for this season at maybe 9 wins.

Unfortunately when the coach starts off a press conference by saying,  "For offense, what I thought I was gonna see."

GTFO. That's just ridiculous. Saban, Smart, Muschamp, Franklin, Meyer, Harbaugh would never have to say that, because it would get right by the next possession.
BS, I guess you haven't watched some of them coach a game before, especially Smart and Muschamp, lol.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 12, 2017, 11:11:21 am
Why does it have to be either or?  Why do we have to choose between "win at all costs" or "having integrity and enjoying losing?"  I understand that there are a lot of teams in college football cheating.  If cheating is the only way to consistently be top 25, then maybe it's time to re-think our place in college athletics.

No, it is time to be REALISTIC about our place in college football. Our athletic program, as a whole is quite good. Baseball has been to the college ws, track is good, men's basketball MAY be on the upswing, golf and women's soccer have had recent success. Football by itself has been average, and will continue to be, and has been since joining the SEC. 

Which sport takes the most high level players to win at a championship level? Which sport produces the least amount of high level in state talent, as compared to the numbers needed to field a team? Which sport only really allows one, at most 2 losses before you are eliminated from title contention, just for the secw.

The problem is the overrated opinion of the football program, and the simplistic ideas many have on what it takes to win at a very high level in that sport. Just like all those talking about how the players and coaches just need to want it more. Want to only goes so far. I am 5'8 195, I can want to dunk a basketball with my entire being, but it ain't happening.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jneal56

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 10:25:33 am
So are most fans, they are just laughing at the win at all cost retards

Don't really see a whole lot of people laughing at Bama...do you?
"At least we are moral"

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:31:16 am
Me too. I only use the term Carpet Bagger when referring to Northerners that own duck hunting property in Arkansas and hunt it twice a year with their buddies.

If they are paying me $7500 for a blind for the season, I don't ask to see their driver's license, lol.

ShadowHawg

Broyles tried to tell us the same things with his we are 9th in putenshal speech in Dallas.

Sounds bigger than just Long to me and actually explains the whole Nutt nightmare.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:42:08 am
If they are paying me $7500 for a blind for the season, I don't ask to see their driver's license, lol.

Hook a brother up.

I haven't shot a duck out of Arkansas skies since 1995.

jkstock04

Quote from: jneal56 on September 12, 2017, 11:42:07 am
Don't really see a whole lot of people laughing at Bama...do you?
I have no doubt the Jeff Long fanboys feel sorry for Bama. Not even joking. I bet they feel sorry for a program like Bama and their fans as well...with their mentality they would have to pity them.

A program like that "does it the wrong way" and only cares about winning. How "awful" that must be.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogdomer

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 12, 2017, 11:43:10 am
Broyles tried to tell us the same things with his we are 9th in putenshal speech in Dallas.

Sounds bigger than just Long to me and actually explains the whole Nutt nightmare.

Forget the SEC, how about beating TCU, Texas Tech and Toledo at home?

Some folks on here are just funny.  If you didn't know enough about our Hogs, their circumstances and the style BB operated before he was hired and totally realize he was not the Guy, then, OK, you were a Hog fan but not a close Hog fan.  If you didn't realize after the first year he didn't have what it took by going 0-8 in conference, then your football knowledge was weak.  If after two full years you couldn't see clearly we booked a loser, you surely must have been just not paying attention. And now its into the fifth year and some on here are still making allowances such as, Now if he can't get the ship righted by seasons end we need to yak, yak,yak.  This feller isn't going to right this ship, not now, not ever.  If you are cool with losing, well, OK.  But lets quit bullshitting ourselves about what BB will do.  He is giving all he intends to give and maybe all he has to give.  Its pitiful.  Quit moving the damn boundaries so you don't have to admit he is a lost cause.

jkstock04

7th. And he said it behind closed doors not knowing he was being recorded. Jeff Long reminding fans that winning is secondary a day after TCU is a different situation.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tusks

Love JFB but BP kind of blew up that argument.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRinds

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 10:54:55 am
Did we pass on Damarea Crockett because we're not a win at all cost program?  I read on here that we passed on him for off the field reasons. 

Win at all cost doesn't necessarily mean you have to cheat but in the SEC you HAVE to take grade risks and behavior risks.  If you're Arkansas, you have to to compete.

We passed on him because we had better options.

Großer Kriegschwein

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:52:54 am
Love JFB but BP kind of blew up that argument.

Why? Because of a couple seasons like we had seen before, where the Hogs still were far inferior to the league champs? Because of a BCS bowl? The Hogs had been to major bowls before they were called BCS bowls. And, 51 different teams played in at least 1 BCS bowl in the bcs era, including powers like Uconn, Wake Forest, Illinois, and Hawaii. BP did NOTHING that had not been done by other coaches here before.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:56:16 am
Come to find out..........

Come to find out without a functioning OL to block, no RB can do much of anything.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:54:31 am
We passed on him because we had better options.

you cant tell these people anything. They think all you have to do is " want it " more.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 11:56:24 am
Why? Because of a couple seasons like we had seen before, where the Hogs still were far inferior to the league champs? Because of a BCS bowl? The Hogs had been to major bowls before they were called BCS bowls. And, 51 different teams played in at least 1 BCS bowl in the bcs era, including powers like Uconn, Wake Forest, Illinois, and Hawaii. BP did NOTHING that had not been done by other coaches here before.

But he did do some things no other coach has done since.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 12, 2017, 11:58:13 am
But he did do some things no other coach has done since.

I mean, we've only had one real coach since then. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 11:49:25 am
7th. And he said it behind closed doors not knowing he was being recorded. Jeff Long reminding fans that winning is secondary a day after TCU is a different situation.

No it isn't. Both speeches were given at large Razorback Club meetings about the same subject, tempering fan expectations in terms of wins and losses.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 12:01:11 pm
I mean, we've only had one real coach since the. 

You assume I was referring to his coaching?  ;)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jkstock04

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 12, 2017, 12:02:38 pm
No it isn't. Both speeches were given at large Razorback Club meetings about the same subject, tempering fan expectations in terms of wins and losses.
I always thought the Broyles deal was more of a private setting. Regardless, with the right coach it can be done is my opinion.

It hurts a lot of feelings, but Petrino proved it. The "flash in a pan" "not sustainable" "didn't do it the right way" slogans these guys like to throw Petrinos way looks dumb as we sit here today. Of Bielema is "doing it the right way" then the right way sucks.

I don't expect us to win 10 games every year either. But I think we can be an annual minimum 8 win program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 12:08:27 pm
I always thought the Broyles deal was more of a private setting. Regardless, with the right coach it can be done is my opinion.

It hurts a lot of feelings, but Petrino proved it. The "flash in a pan" "not sustainable" "didn't do it the right way" slogans these guys like to throw Petrinos way looks dumb as we sit here today. Of Bielema is "doing it the right way" then the right way sucks.

I don't expect us to win 10 games every year either. But I think we can be an annual minimum 8 win program.

If BP proved it, so did HDN, Ford, Hatfield, Holtz, and JFB. Again, what did BP do that had not been done before? You cant say BCS, because we had to the Ornage Bowl twice, and the Sugar Bowl twice and the Cotton at least twice when they were 3 of the 4 major nyd bowls.

Torqued pork

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 11:39:38 am
No, it is time to be REALISTIC about our place in college football. Our athletic program, as a whole is quite good. Baseball has been to the college ws, track is good, men's basketball MAY be on the upswing, golf and women's soccer have had recent success. Football by itself has been average, and will continue to be, and has been since joining the SEC. 

Which sport takes the most high level players to win at a championship level? Which sport produces the least amount of high level in state talent, as compared to the numbers needed to field a team? Which sport only really allows one, at most 2 losses before you are eliminated from title contention, just for the secw.

The problem is the overrated opinion of the football program, and the simplistic ideas many have on what it takes to win at a very high level in that sport. Just like all those talking about how the players and coaches just need to want it more. Want to only goes so far. I am 5'8 195, I can want to dunk a basketball with my entire being, but it ain't happening.
Bret's problem isn't that he keeps losing to elite programs like Bama, his problem is he's laying too many eggs against programs that we could expect to beat if he was nearly as good as advertised.  In some cases the team has came out looking completely unprepared or simply collapsed when they faced any adversity. He has to be held accountable for those the regardless of how easy it is to keep harping on our recruiting disadvantages against the top programs.

hogsanity

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 12, 2017, 12:17:12 pm
Bret's problem isn't that he keeps losing to elite programs like Bama, his problem is he's laying too many eggs against programs that we could expect to beat if he was nearly as good as advertised.  In some cases the team came out looking completely unprepared or simply collapsed when they faced any adversity.

That is what perennial 7-8 win a year programs do. If they did not, they would not be 7-8 win a year  programs.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:56:16 am
Come to find out..........

That each are in different situations and systems. I love how people assume "A" is always going to work better than "B" when they aren't applicable.

ricepig

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 12, 2017, 12:17:12 pm
Bret's problem isn't that he keeps losing to elite programs like Bama, his problem is he's laying too many eggs against programs that we could expect to beat if he was nearly as good as advertised.  In some cases the team has came out looking completely unprepared or simply collapsed when they faced any adversity. He has to be held accountable for those the regardless of how easy it is to keep harping on our recruiting disadvantages against the top programs.

He is, and will be held accountable, but it will be after 2018.

Großer Kriegschwein

Bret is our modern day Danny Ford.

I bet the next dude gets in here and wins 10 in his first year. (I know Nutt didn't win 10, but probably should have).

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 12:21:43 pm
That each are in different situations and systems. I love how people assume "A" is always going to work better than "B" when they aren't applicable.

I know that as well as you do.

I'd say he was worth an offer at the least. But I'm not really gonna argue about it either way.

Torqued pork

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 12:20:29 pm
That is what perennial 7-8 win a year programs do. If they did not, they would not be 7-8 win a year  programs.
They make 2nd half collapses to teams such as Mizzou look predictable and routine?

hogsanity

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 12, 2017, 12:24:34 pm
They make 2nd half collapses to teams such as Mizzou look predictable and routine?

Does it really matter how they get to 7 or 8 wins and 4 or 5 losses? Teams like that find ways to lose, or they would be better than 7 or 8 win teams.

Redhogs

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 10:25:33 am
So are most fans, they are just laughing at the win at all cost retards
WRONG..WHAT'S RETARDED IS PAYING BERT $4,000,000+ ASSISTANTS A YEAR TO WIN 6-7 GAMES IN THE SEC.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogcard1964

Long is getting absolutely annihilated on the SEC Rant board.  He needs to either clarify or completely walk back his statements.

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/arkansas-not-a-win-at-all-cost-program--long/72112193/

A few comments:

Unbelievable, if that is the direction he is taking the program then why have tickets gone up 1 million percent since he has gotten here? For the amount of money they are asking for the result is that they aren't even really trying?

That is the final cop out rationalization.

The "we are losers but we lose with integrity" argument doesn't sell in the SEC and doesn't put butts in the stands, Jeff

He has no problem taking your money. Doesn't seem all that interested in putting a quality product on the field

This is shocking to me, why are we even in the SEC? We should probably consider moving to the MAC.

What a biiiatch statement. I would be sick if I was a hog fan really now. Sure u don't sacrifice integrity etc etc just to win but it can be done the right way. Arkansas football is the lifeblood of that athletic program and statements like that makes ya wander if they have the right leader

As long as you have that in charge of your program you will always be mid lower third of sec west.

And Bert is your man.

"Arkansas not a win-at-all-cost program..."
obvious statement is obvious

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 10:41:38 am
How this equates to not even trying is beyond me. Some of you are insane.

Yes...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Marshfieldhog

So is this like the Broyles statement of being 8th/9th in the SEC? I think Long just had his stupid PR statement moment.

hogsanity

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hawgon on September 12, 2017, 11:11:00 am
Long is trying to change the subject. He doesn't want to talk about why we are going to be stuck with a coach nobody wants here anymore.

This may be the reason Long gets fired before BB does.

RME

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 12:27:57 pm
Long is getting absolutely annihilated on the SEC Rant board.  He needs to either clarify or completely walk back his statements.

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/arkansas-not-a-win-at-all-cost-program--long/72112193/

If this place is Hell, SEC Rant is the black hole in the lowest level of Hell.

Redhogs

Quote from: Lanny on September 12, 2017, 11:08:08 am
The buyout Long gave Bielema is the problem.  Nobody is going to pay that ridiculous sum of money to fire a coach.
Yes, that is the bottom line...and that's 100% on Jeff the genius.

Redhogs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 12:36:18 pm
Maybe, but they have no stake in our program, they are just plain laughing at us...AGAIN.....

Wildhog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 12, 2017, 12:40:17 pm
Maybe, but they have no stake in our program, they are just plain laughing at us...AGAIN.....

I really do hate to say this, but under our current leadership, we're just not a good fit in the SEC-West.  This league is brutal, and if we're not willing to do what it takes to compete, then we need to either make changes or get out.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

go hogues

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 11:39:38 am

I agree with you but if we fans are going to start being realistic, that narrative is going to have to come from the top down, meaning the university.

The university openly fought Senator Pryor's argument that spending $160 million to add 4,000 seats to a middling program's football stadium might not be the best idea.

160 million for 4k seats and a few suites? Who's setting the tone for realistic expectations in that scenario?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogcard1964

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 12:36:18 pm

True, but sometimes it's better to take a look at how you're viewed from the outside.

...it's not good.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 12:43:12 pm
True, but sometimes it's better to take a look at how you're viewed from the outside.

...it's not good.

It never has been. Seeing what your enemies think about you may be enlightening, but it's not something to base decisions on.  If Jeff Long makes any decisions based on any message board, much less that one, he really is as bad as people think.

Torqued pork

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 12:26:42 pm
Does it really matter how they get to 7 or 8 wins and 4 or 5 losses? Teams like that find ways to lose, or they would be better than 7 or 8 win teams.
Well if your Arkansas in the SEC-W losing to those types of teams is a better recipe for a 5-7 record if not 4-8 which appears to be where Bielema is taking us.

twistitup

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on September 12, 2017, 12:35:36 pm
This may be the reason Long gets fired before BB does.

He will get rid of CBB if things get too hot in the kitchen....Long is not going anywhere anytime soon - he is the AD and that involves more than just Football. I know, I know - he is a carpetbagger - but he's been good for Razorback sports in general. I think J Long should make CBB give a portion of his salary to the golf coach who just came home from Minn a winner! Underpaid successful coaches should get bonuses from under achieving overpaid coaches.

Pay up Brett:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-captures-victory-at-gopher-invitational/
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rude1

When someone makes the statement about not wanting to win at all costs, it is coming from someone who isn't winning. The rub here is for the listener to infer that we aren't winning more because you have to cheat to do so. JL negotiated one of the dumbest contracts given to a football coach who had done nothing in his current job, he had the guy under contract and he let the emotions of a 7-6 season lead him to offer up an extension with hefty raise, along with a ridiculous one sided buyout that effectively  makes it impossible for the university to fire him yet he was free to jump ship at any time if had found success because his part of the buyout was so low.

RME

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 12:43:12 pm

...it's not good.

Alabama is at the pinnacle of college football. Message boards still rip them apart, despite every fan in America wanting the success Alabama has.

Do you really think they care about how they're "viewed from the outside?" It's not good for them, either.

Message boards speak for nothing. If Twitter and Facebook and message boards actually reflected sentiments of the majority, a lot of stuff in this world would be a lot different across many facets.