Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long admits to not even trying...

Started by Malvin, September 12, 2017, 10:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 11:02:30 am
That doesn't even make sense. The two are not comparable. BB was due for a 'rollover' in his contract, but that buyout clause is stupid dumb.

Not if you have no inclination to use it.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wildhog

Rice, if we have a losing record this year, do you think there's a chance that we DO use it?
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 10:57:39 am
Every program in the SEC that beats us on a regular basis - that's the picture Long is trying to paint.
We are the only program doing things the "right way" - everyone else is dirty.
If he can make the fans buy into it - then it's a convenient excuse for losing.

No. Some schools like Bama and LSU don't have to cheat or cut corners as much because of their position and history. But we are a natural second tier team with less position and less history.  We're not moving to top tier unless we either cheat, cut corners, or get unusually lucky.  Had Petrino kept his pants on we might have gotten lucky, but he didn't.  We thought Beilema might be our next lucky break because he had a pretty good record at Wisky.  But it hasn't worked out.
Long is trying to get lucky by trying to hire coaches with good track records before they come here.  It hasn't worked, and he's not in favor of cheating or cutting corners like a lot of fans are.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 11:02:49 am
what I want to know is how anyone can read what Long said and come to the conclusion he or the program is not trying to win.

Well they're not winning and he seems content with his coaching selection.  So I'd say that's a pretty damning conclusion that he either doesn't care or actually likes this downward direction Razorback football is on.

It has to be one or the other.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 10:55:05 am
That's bunk.

What we have is an administration that rewards people for their affability, and not their performance. Why, on this good earth, did Long construct such a one-sided buyout after only the second year? His results on the field did not warrant such protection. It points to the principle that Long doesn't care about winning records. He is just swell dandy fine with a mediocre coach and team.

I told folks that Long would ruin our program on the Hill like he did at Pitt and was lambasted for it. Well boys the Chickens are coming home to Roost.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:51:05 am
In the words of Ara Parseghian in Rudy, "You just summed up your entire sorry career here in one sentence."

Or in other words, you let everyone know what kinda guy you are.

I root for Rudy to pull a hammy
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RME

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 11:02:30 am
That doesn't even make sense. The two are not comparable. BB was due for a 'rollover' in his contract, but that buyout clause is stupid dumb.

Sure it does, in the sense of contracts/amount of money. It's a show of good faith. Happens all the time in sports now. Players and coaches get outrageous contracts for mediocre or above average performances. It's not something that's exclusive to Arkansas football.

Lanny

The buyout Long gave Bielema is the problem.  Nobody is going to pay that ridiculous sum of money to fire a coach.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 12, 2017, 11:06:22 am
I told folks that Long would ruin our program on the Hill like he did at Pitt and was lambasted for it. Well boys the Chickens are coming home to Roost.
Stinking Yankees! Carpetbaggers the both of them!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Lanny on September 12, 2017, 11:08:08 am
The buyout Long gave Bielema is the problem.  Nobody is going to pay that ridiculous sum of money to fire a coach.
Exactly why Long will justify keeping Bielema until either Bielema quits or Long himself is fired.  No choice.

hawgon

Long is trying to change the subject.  He doesn't want to talk about why we are going to be stuck with a coach nobody wants here anymore.

hoghearted

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 11:08:06 am
Sure it does. It's a show of good faith. Happens all the time in sports now. Players and coaches get outrageous contracts for mediocre or above average performances. It's not something that's exclusive to Arkansas football.

Then why is it so one sided? Does Bielema not have good faith with us?

No. It was Long's way of protecting him, so he wouldn't have to actually hold him accountable for results on the field. I don't think Long really likes, or is good at, hiring good coaches. Keeping Bret around as long as possible helps Long avoid it.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 12, 2017, 11:06:22 am

Do people really think our program is ruined? CBP ruined our program for a few years.  If CBB left tomorrow we'd be a strong program that a coach can step into and find success. CBB's style may not work here, but he hasn't ruined the program. Some of you are crazy.

Ironhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 11:01:11 am
If you are in the win at all cost crowd, look at Baylor. There is no better example of that, and look what they have become. They are 0-2, with losses to LIBERTY and UTSA.

Why does it have to be either or?  Why do we have to choose between "win at all costs" or "having integrity and enjoying losing?"  I understand that there are a lot of teams in college football cheating.  If cheating is the only way to consistently be top 25, then maybe it's time to re-think our place in college athletics.

hogcard1964

+1000

Yep and you can't blame Bret for that.  There's another group at fault for that.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

RME

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 11:11:06 am
Then why is it so one sided? Does Bielema not have good faith with us?

No. It was Long's way of protecting him, so he wouldn't have to actually hold him accountable for results on the field. I don't think Long really likes, or is good at, hiring good coaches. Keeping Bret around as long as possible helps Long avoid it.

Uhhhh.....

If you were performing at a slightly above .500 rate at your job and your boss offered you a hell of a contract extension and/or buyout clause, would you "have good faith" with your employer and deny that extension/buyout because you didn't feel you were performing up to standards...?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 11:04:17 am
Rice, if we have a losing record this year, do you think there's a chance that we DO use it?

Sure, but the heat will have to come from more than message boards and call-in shows. There's heat, but there's also a lot of season left to be played.

ricepig

Texas or aTm would, will, and probably have.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:13:55 am
Texas or aTm would, will, and probably have.

Well, when you got it to spend...
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:12:50 am
Sure, but the heat will have to come from more than message boards and call-in shows. There's heat, but there's also a lot of season left to be played.

Obviously.  I'm not a crazy person.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

Like it or not, P5 coaches that are asked to take over a programs that is in the middle of a dumpster fire want to know they'll have job security while they are building their program. No big buyout or similar protection, then it's easy to jump soon.  And big compensation for small results is pretty common in big business these days too. People negotiate their contracts more aggressively than in the past. 

If Long had been lucky, and BB had won one more game in 2016 and the last 2 games last year, there wouldn't be nearly this much screaming about the buyout.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Großer Kriegschwein

Yup. We went all-in holding a 7 & 6 in the hole and are stuck playing this hand out.

You get sicker and sicker every time another card flips.

This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:11:13 am
Do people really think our program is ruined? CBP ruined our program for a few years.  If CBB left tomorrow we'd be a strong program that a coach can step into and find success. CBB's style may not work here, but he hasn't ruined the program. Some of you are crazy.

Lets see since Bobby left we lost to ULM, Toledo spit with Texas Tech and had several close calls . We are no longer a respected program even with in the SEC!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ricepig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 11:08:43 am
Stinking Yankees! Carpetbaggers the both of them!

I don't even believe that Delta types these any more, no Carpetbagger references.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:11:13 am

I've come to the conclusion that he is not a good fit here. Every time he fixes something, 5 more things seem to go wrong. I'm convinced that he doesn't have the ability to put it all together in order to make a run at a conference championship.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:16:08 am
I don't even believe that Delta types these any more, no Carpetbagger references.

He did like 3  times yesterday. FWIW

redneckfriend

Wow, Bielema loses a game and it's Long's fault. I would call that logic about as incogitant as I have ever read. Jeff Long, after the debacle inflicted on the school by "Bobby" Petrino, found a successful head coach at a P-5 school and brought him here. That coach has not lived up to expectations, I don't think there is any argument there, but that is certainly not Long's fault.

The real issue here seems to be the cockroaches (i.e. Bobby Petrino supporters) are feeling emboldened to come out of the woodwork in the light of day. They aren't courageous enough to say what they really mean- Long should have overlooked Petrino's crimes (first among those, let's be honest, was hiring a whore with stolen money) so the argument is that Long doesn't care about winning, all he cares about is (scoff) integrity. And of course, if you want a false dichotomy, that works pretty well- integrity vs. winning because that is the excluded middle argument that is being proposed by the die hard Petrino lovers.

Of course that is laughable, Long wants to win, the men who hired Long want to win and they all want to do it with clean hands. It won't be easy at Arkansas because recruiting is hard at Arkansas but that is still the goal. If Bielema can't do it they will try someone else, and then someone else if he can't do it, but I don't think they are going to want to get into the dirt like some of the fans here and win at all costs- including the reputation of the state's flagship university.

Calling All Hogs

Both Coach and AD have gotten good at playing the integrity card.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:17:20 am
I've come to the conclusion that he is not a good fit here. Every time he fixes something, 5 more things seem to go wrong. I'm convinced that he doesn't have the ability to put it all together in order to make a run at a conference championship.

I'm at the same place. But ruined the program?  Our program isn't in ruins.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:20:19 am

PR here in TEXAS we are being laughed at by Everyone but Baylor.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:17:20 am
I wish someone at the LR Touchdown club would have asked the question "what is more important to you, winning an SEC championship in football or having high grades/low behavior problems?".

Malvin

Quotewhat I want to know is how anyone can read what Long said and come to the conclusion he or the program is not trying to win.

I can say that I'm trying to win Daytona all day long, but if I'm only willing to hire Danica Patrick because I'm concerned about what Tony Stewart is going to do.... well that's not trying to win.  That's the point, it doesn't matter what he says it matters what he does.  He can say he is wants to win all day long but if he isn't willing to do what it takes to win then we will always be in the back of the race looking to get lucky.

Tusks

Then leave the conference, lower ticket prices and throw a party in a stadium saturday afternoons.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sowmonella

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 10:41:38 am
How this equates to not even trying is beyond me. Some of you are insane.

The same idiots are posting in every thread. Hogville is becoming unreadable.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Malvin on September 12, 2017, 11:25:06 am
I can say that I'm trying to win Daytona all day long, but if I'm only willing to hire Danica Patrick because I'm concerned about what Tony Stewart is going to do.... well that's not trying to win.  That's the point, it doesn't matter what he says it matters what he does.  He can say he is wants to win all day long but if he isn't willing to do what it takes to win then we will always be in the back of the race looking to get lucky.

So hiring a coach that led Wisky to excellent records in a major conference is comparable to hiring Danica Patrick?

hoghearted

Bingo
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:20:19 am

I don't think so. If you get anyone in here with a Type-A personality that is very hands-on, I'm pretty sure that we could meet our expectation for this season at maybe 9 wins.

Unfortunately when the coach starts off a press conference by saying,  "For offense, what I thought I was gonna see."

GTFO. That's just ridiculous. Saban, Smart, Muschamp, Franklin, Meyer, Harbaugh would never have to say that, because it would get right by the next possession.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 12, 2017, 11:23:35 am
PR here in TEXAS we are being laughed at by Everyone but Baylor.

Texas is terrible. Texas Tech is a gutter dweller. If they're laughing at because they aren't watching their own teams. Our only issue is wins. If that's all we have to worry about calling he program ruined is stupid. Rock hard stupid.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:17:46 am
He did like 3  times yesterday. FWIW

Glad you are keeping up, I tend to scroll right over his posts!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 11:27:44 am
I don't think so. If you get anyone in here with a Type-A personality that is very hands-on, I'm pretty sure that we could meet our expectation for this season at maybe 9 wins.

Unfortunately when the coach starts off a press conference by saying,  "For offense, what I thought I was gonna see."

GTFO. That's just ridiculous. Saban, Smart, Muschamp, Franklin, Meyer, Harbaugh would never have to say that, because it would get right by the next possession.

I agree, minus muschamp and smart. Remains to be seen with them and they don't deserve to be in the same sentence as the others.

BaconAteHer

Quote from: hawgon on September 12, 2017, 10:32:13 am
Jeff Long is setting himself up as a martyr for integrity in college athletics.

Who here is so base that would be a bondman? Who so rude that would not be a Razorback? Who so vile that will not love the Hogs?

If any speak, for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:29:16 am
Glad you are keeping up, I tend to scroll right over his posts!

Me too. I only use the term Carpet Bagger when referring to Northerners that own duck hunting property in Arkansas and hunt it twice a year with their buddies.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:29:43 am
I agree, minus muschamp and smart. Remains to be seen with them and they don't deserve to be in the same sentence as the others.

Based on their time as Defensive Coordinators. They were both fire-pissers.

hawgon

Quote from: BaconAteHer on September 12, 2017, 11:30:02 am
Who here is so base that would be a bondman? Who so rude that would not be a Razorback? Who so vile that will not love the Hogs?

If any speak, for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.

Well, I have coins for his passage ...

hogcard1964

If he chokes away another game to A & M in a week and a half, this board will get shut down.

guaranteed

Malvin

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 12, 2017, 11:27:10 am
So hiring a coach that led Wisky to excellent records in a major conference is comparable to hiring Danica Patrick?

I think you missed the point.

Ex-Trumpet

Danica Patrick makes more in endorsements than anyone.  And that's what counts.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?