Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a big name coach Arkansas can land?

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 11, 2017, 10:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 12, 2017, 05:33:36 pm
Barry Switzer
Jimmy Johnson
Lou Holtz
(And they've all 3 won several NCs and they all 3 have significant ties to Arkansas)

RazorbackAlways

Jimmy Johnson would be amazing. One can only hope he does it for charity.

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 12, 2017, 09:13:57 am
A name that will become big in a couple of years is Major Applewhite at Houston. Talking to the young man is like talking to Lou Holtz or Jim Harbaugh in their early days. Only problem is you will have to worry about the teasips to come calling after he is successful. Major is like the next coming of J.Frank Broyles or Darrell Royal back in the 50's. Brilliant football mind, just watch and wait.
A little coed scandal will likely prohibit him from being our coach while Long is AD.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Karma on September 12, 2017, 05:48:53 pm
Also all old and tired.

Age is only in your mind.  Two of them definitely don't perform to their age, one of them acts like or thinks like he's 10 years older than he is....(you can guess which one I'm referring to)

Wildhog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 12, 2017, 05:52:49 pm
Age is only in your mind.  Two of them definitely don't perform to their age, one of them acts like or thinks like he's 10 years older than he is....(you can guess which one I'm referring to)

Wait, you were serious?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DLUXHOG

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 05:55:28 pm

If they wanted to, and with the right assistants, any of these 3 could bring an NC to Arkansas......

jcbville

Florida, Tenn, LSU, Texas, etc... Have not landed big name coaches in recent history. They wanted to. But they couldnt. Soooo what in the current college football landscape and given these facts makes that question even relevant?

What "Big Name" coaches are even out there to be had? Whats the criteria to be considered a "Big Name" coach?

Wildhog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 12, 2017, 05:58:51 pm
If they wanted to, and with the right assistants, any of these 3 could bring an NC to Arkansas......

lol, ok.  Now that I know you were joking... 

It's hard to tell anymore. I see so much crazy BS every day on here.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 05:59:48 pm
lol, ok.  Now that I know you were joking... 

It's hard to tell anymore. I see so much crazy BS every day on here.

I'm not joking.   Regardless of age, any of these guys could do it. I'd love for any of these 3 to be given the opportunity, so long as they were empowered to hire the best assistants....

Wildhog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 12, 2017, 06:03:12 pm
I'm not joking.   Regardless of age, any of these guys could do it. I'd love for any of these 3 to be given the opportunity, so long as they were empowered to hire the best assistants....

1909/1964/1965/1977

RyeHogFan

I think what Arkansas needs is a true program builder. Many people, myself included, lauded the hire of Bielema because of the success he had at Wisconsin with an impressive 68-24 record in 7 seasons.  The thing is, Bielema really was just a program sustainer, continuing the success of Barry Alvarez from the 16 years before.  He did an outstanding job of sustaining and maybe even building upon what Alvarez had done, even to the point of continuing on with the offense Alvarez had run. He never had to build a program that was down. He never was forced to be innovative on offense because the Wisconsin way was already established. 
So, regardless of how "big" a name a coach is, if we can find a coach who is a proven program builder and who is flexible and creative on the offense, this is who we should target. I'm just referring to the coaching portion here because it's also obvious that we would need a coach who is either a dynamic recruiter himself or who can bring in a good collection of recruiters and talented coaches.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Even if the only coaches we can get are assistants or lower level FBS, we need to go get one of them.

The coach next year needs to not be Bret Bielema.

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 12, 2017, 07:00:57 pm
Even if the only coaches we can get are assistants or lower level FBS, we need to go get one of them.

The coach next year needs to not be Bret Bielema.
You might as well log off and come back in Dec of 2018.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Swestwill66

GoHogs1091

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 11, 2017, 10:45:24 pm
This isn't the way we need to think. We caught lightening in a bottle with Bobby, and felt like we had to go get the biggest name we could to replace him. That's what got us in trouble with Bert.

The answer is to go after a premier coordinator, or a solid up-and-comer. Brent Venables, Dave Aranda, etc.

The ship may have already sailed regarding Venables.  We had two chances to hire him as HC when we hired Petrino and Bielema, but now our job may not be big enough anymore for him.  He has put himself in a position through elite results that he now should be in consideration for a very big-time HC job.  He told the media right after Clemson won the NC that he hopes to never leave Clemson.  I wouldn't surprised if he has been told by the Clemson Athletic Administration that if Swinney leaves in the future that he is guaranteed to be Swinney's replacement.

Supposedly, Aranda's dream is to coach in the NFL.  He may end up leaving LSU only to go coach in the NFL.

hawgtime

Quote from: RyeHogFan on September 12, 2017, 06:58:29 pm
I think what Arkansas needs is a true program builder. Many people, myself included, lauded the hire of Bielema because of the success he had at Wisconsin with an impressive 68-24 record in 7 seasons.  The thing is, Bielema really was just a program sustainer, continuing the success of Barry Alvarez from the 16 years before.  He did an outstanding job of sustaining and maybe even building upon what Alvarez had done, even to the point of continuing on with the offense Alvarez had run. He never had to build a program that was down. He never was forced to be innovative on offense because the Wisconsin way was already established. 
So, regardless of how "big" a name a coach is, if we can find a coach who is a proven program builder and who is flexible and creative on the offense, this is who we should target. I'm just referring to the coaching portion here because it's also obvious that we would need a coach who is either a dynamic recruiter himself or who can bring in a good collection of recruiters and talented coaches.

I agree. we need a builder that has a vision of what is going on NOW and not past successes.   who is that?

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on September 11, 2017, 10:52:09 pm
Throw a unprecedented amount of money at chip kelly

Pay him Saban money and you will have winner.  But that would be the only way you land Kelly....Big money.

cypert2

Big time coach will come with big time buyout. Just like we got now. Get an up and comer with a strong incentive based contract.
Swinging on the two and the four.

gawntrail

Pig in the Pokey

big name coach, lol. NO> We need a young co-ordinator who has the fire in his belly to win and give him a shot. Then, like any marriage, we need to impress him enough to keep him around.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

The question is not can the Hogs get a big name, the question is can they get someone that can solve the recruiting issues here. Keep in mind a top 20 National class may still be 7th or 8th in the sec.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogs1091

Maybe the only bigger names that we might could get.

Les Miles
Gene Chizik
Skip Holtz
Matt Campbell

May have to settle though for one of the following.

Willie Fritz
K.C. Keeler
Turner Gill
Rick Stockstill

MJ2

Big Names won't come.   It's too much work in a brutal conference.   They will only come if the buyout is worth 5 or more years of salary.... hmmmm.   Haven't we done this before?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 11:59:29 am
Maybe the only bigger names that we might could get.

Les Miles
Gene Chizik
Skip Holtz
Matt Campbell

May have to settle though for one of the following.

Willie Fritz
K.C. Keeler
Turner Gill
Rick Stockstill

Lou Holtz
Barry Switzer
Jimmy Johnson
Pete Carroll

(in no particular order and they all have significant University of Arkansas ties)

alohawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 12, 2017, 01:26:01 am
Nutt couldn't recruit hookers with a crack pipe and a stack of $20 bills. Even his in-state connections were not enough to have a few misses over the years (not unlike CBB).

The only coaches that HV would approve of are Tom Landry, Bear Bryant, Jimmy Johnson, and John Gruden.

Landry's shadow might be an improvement though.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

The Great Hambino

Perhaps the Seahawks have a terrible season and decide a change is in order. In that event, we could perhaps hire their newly fired coach.

razorbackinva

I do a lot of lurking and don't post much.  My opinion is... Considering big name hires and the current buyout situation.  Why not promote Dan Enos to Head Hog immediately...  Give him a 2 year contract for 2 million a year.  Guy has gotten significant raises since being hired and perhaps the "glory" of hiring a big name coach is not all that it's cracked up to be.  After 2 years we would have re-cooped the cost of the buyout.  I mean it's not my money so FWIW... back to reading more...

2015 - Dan Enos - $550,000
2016 - Dan Enos - $700,000
2017 - Dan Enos - $800,000

Nashville Fan

We hired a coach with a 90% winning percentage.
Pittman or Bust!