Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a big name coach Arkansas can land?

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 11, 2017, 10:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 09:25:53 am
Can you imagine Rainwater trying to pronounce Niumatalolo?

can you imagine bob holt trying his name
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

tbhogfan

Petrino and Bielema were both "big name" coaches, so yes, Arkansas can definitely land one if that's the direction they want to go.  There's only 12 SEC HC jobs available, and if the Hogs are willing to pay over $4M as they have done with CBB, they are definitely going to get some interest.
Go Hogs!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on September 12, 2017, 09:14:56 am
The question shouldn't be whether we can get a big name coach but when can we get a championship coach.

And it isn't a question of whether Arkansas can land one but whether the AD can.

Totally 100% wrong.  No championship coach is coming here. Not as long as he has to recruit against Bama, Auburn, LSU, aTm, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss, MSU, etc., and play against Bama, Auburn, LSU, aTm, Ole Miss, and MSU every year. No championship coach wants that and an office in Fayetteville.  The best recruits are hundreds of miles away and we have no recent history of really competing for championships.  Even Petrino couldn't get within two games of a championship in his very best season. No championship coach is coming. It won't happen. 

But an up and comer might. And that person might be able to win 9 - 11 games, sometimes.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hogcard1964

Quote from: HawgTrough on September 12, 2017, 09:22:56 am
who was the last ARK coach to bolt for a higher profile job? Holtz?

No, he went to Minnesota, who at the time was actually a step down from Arkansas.  Not any longer.

tbhogfan

Lou went to Minnesota after he "left" Arkansas.  He landed at Notre Dame two years later, and ND had been on the skids for awhile.
Go Hogs!

hogsanity

Quote from: 12247 on September 12, 2017, 09:05:15 am
We are a top 25 job. 

he says based on nothing factual.

How is this a top 25 job? Take off your hog glasses and look at it realistically. We are in a league where if you recruit a top 20 class every year you still will be only 7-10 in the conference. We are an outlier as far as proximity to talent. Since joining the SEC the Hogs are, on average, a 7.5 ( so lets round up to 8 ) win team. Nothing in their resume since 1990 says top 25 program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sickboy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 09:46:29 am
he says based on nothing factual.

How is this a top 25 job? Take off your hog glasses and look at it realistically. We are in a league where if you recruit a top 20 class every year you still will be only 7-10 in the conference. We are an outlier as far as proximity to talent. Since joining the SEC the Hogs are, on average, a 7.5 ( so lets round up to 8 ) win team. Nothing in their resume since 1990 says top 25 program.

We're not a top 25 program in prestige, maybe top 35. But from a coaching perspective we're probably a top 25 job simply because we're in the SEC West. Egos are strong with coaches. They see a place like Arkansas as potential to show they can make a mediocre program elite.

The good thing for Arkansas is we're not talking about 3-4 win teams every year. We're a 6-8 win program right now in a daunting SEC west. A good coach could take this program from 6-8 wins to 8-10 wins. It's doable. And being an 8-10 win coach at Arkansas is big.

Ironhawg

Unfortunately, well for me anyway, I believe Arkansas doesn't belong in the SEC in football.  We will most often be in the middle to bottom half of the conference.  We lack the recruiting base to consistently have the top quality talent and build the depth needed to compete for championships.  Sure the SEC money is nice, but it would be even better to believe we might even occasionally be competing for championships as that seems secondary to him.
Jeff Long is not a terrible AD.  He is a good businessman and presents a good image for the athletic department.  I just don't think he is a great fit for Arkansas if we want to be competitive in football in the SEC as that seems secondary to him.

NuttinItUp

HF#1

We need an elite recruiter who can also coach a little or at least bring in great coordinators. But the first qualification has to be proven elite recruiter.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Quote from: HF#1 on September 12, 2017, 11:07:16 am
We need an elite recruiter who can also coach a little or at least bring in great coordinators. But the first qualification has to be proven elite recruiter.

My opinion:  We need a great offensive mind who will hire great recruiters.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 11:09:47 am
My opinion:  We need a great offensive mind who will hire great recruiters.

Agreed
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

tuskaloosa

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 11, 2017, 10:45:24 pm
This isn't the way we need to think. We caught lightening in a bottle with Bobby, and felt like we had to go get the biggest name we could to replace him. That's what got us in trouble with Bert.

The answer is to go after a premier coordinator, or a solid up-and-comer. Brent Venables, Dave Aranda, etc.
I was a huge Dan Enos fan until Saturday. Throwing the ball on 3rd and goal from the 2? He should have put Cole Kelly in to bull his way in. Or run it twice to David Williams. If we don't get in doing those things, then we don't deserve to win. I sit on the East side and got a very good look at the swing pass play to TJ Hammonds in the second half. That was a horrible call. He is also in charge of who starts on the offense. I don't think J-Red deserved to start much less play in that game. He missed all of fall camp, dropped two passes, and looked slow at the end of the game. I don't know who was in Bielema and Enos's bodies on Saturday, but the need to throw the analytics package in the trash, and coach football!

respirback

Should have got James Franklin while we could.  Throw the bank at him

tuskaloosa

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 11, 2017, 10:39:06 pm
Petrino was a huge name. At least, I consider him a big name. He had the style needed to coach college ball at the SEC level. Is there anyone out there at his caliber who could be our next coach?
I would like to get Major Applewhite at O.C. if Dan Enos leaves or can't get it together. Dan Enos got out coached by Gary Patterson. That is alright because Patterson is one of the best defensive minds in the game. I want to see Enos step up his game. Period!

Hogwild

Quote from: LZH on September 12, 2017, 09:25:49 am
Who was the young guy that was coaching down in Lafayette a few years ago that everyone was so high on? Whatever happened to him?

He hired the assistant from Ole Miss who was getting other people to take the recruits ACT scores, NCAA hit ULL with probation and that led to the investigation into Ole Miss.

Hogwild

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 12, 2017, 12:36:33 am
What about Paul Johnson?  He runs a really unique offense that gives almost everyone they play fits. Tennessee was lucky to escape them.  He might bring something interesting to the SEC,  with a little bit better players (SEC brand) and Arkansas might be a step up for him.

Don't see him leaving GA Tech to come here.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: tuskaloosa on September 12, 2017, 11:23:40 am
I would like to get Major Applewhite at O.C. if Dan Enos leaves or can't get it together.

Major Applewhite would not step down from being a head coach to be our OC. He will win at Houston and get a job as HC at a big program in the next couple years.

The Kig

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 12, 2017, 09:12:51 am
Our last two football hires were impressive on paper. We can get high caliber coaches here.  Thanks for selling us short though!

Not selling us short.  Love the Hogs and continue to belive we can climb the mountain... eventually.   

On paper, our last two hires had football "paper", but were both risky hires of coaches punting on current situations.  Petrino was brilliant in certain aspects of the game, but was a WTH hire due to his reputation as a job hopper and being morally bankrupt.  CBB wanted out of Whisky because of the perception that Alvarez was still making all the big decisions...5 years here with some really poor big decisions during games, maybe some truth to that.
Poker Porker

NaturalStateReb

Arkansas probably won't get a big name coach, but that doesn't make it unique.  Most other places won't get one either.

Here's why:  the money is too big now.  When Mississippi State can pay a coach $5 million a year, it's no longer about the money; the money alone isn't enough to lure someone to a job.  Consider places like Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Southern Cal.  Even jobs that big had to go for up-and-comers (Texas and Florida), lure coordinators (Georgia), or hire from within (USC).  It's not about bidding wars anymore.  Every P5 job that's even remotely decent is now a destination job.

Every hire--even a big name hire--is a calculated risk.  Bret Bielema is a perfect example.  Just because a person is successful somewhere else, there's no guarantee that that person can duplicate that success under different conditions.  Not every job is for every coach.  For nearly every job now, it's going to be an up-and-comer or a coordinator.  Doesn't mean that lightning isn't going to strike now and then and big time name make a move, but it's going to be the exception not the rule.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HawgTrough

Quote from: LZH on September 12, 2017, 09:25:49 am
Who was the young guy that was coaching down in Lafayette a few years ago that everyone was so high on? Whatever happened to him?

Hudspeth? I'm pretty sure he's still there.
WPS

Ironhawg

Quote from: woo.pig on September 12, 2017, 12:11:17 pm
SMU HC Chad Morris

I thought about him, but he's not exactly tearing it up at SMU.  They went 2-10 his first year, 5-7 last year.  They're currently 2-0.

Wildhog

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 12, 2017, 02:52:40 pm
I thought about him, but he's not exactly tearing it up at SMU.  They went 2-10 his first year, 5-7 last year.  They're currently 2-0.

He took over a dumpster fire and is rebuilding.  If he has a big year this year, I'm not sure how you argue against that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 09:25:53 am
Can you imagine Rainwater trying to pronounce Niumatalolo?

My quick search showed Bronco Mendenhall to be the longest name....

PLHawg

Mike Norvell at Memphis.  He's young, motivated, and runs a dynamic offense, seems to be a good recruiter as his '17 class was the top-ranked class in Memphis history (even though that might not be saying that much).  Memphis had their most ever offensive yards in his first year as head coach with a 1st year QB.  This is the type of guy we need to be targeting, although we probably won't because he doesn't have enough HC experience.  Look what OU is doing with a young 1st year HC.

hogcard1964

Quote from: respirback on September 12, 2017, 11:16:49 am
Should have got James Franklin while we could.  Throw the bank at him

His next job may be Notre Dame.  We have no shot at him now.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 02:53:25 pm
He took over a dumpster fire and is rebuilding.  If he has a big year this year, I'm not sure how you argue against that.

If he has a good year this year, I'd be all in favor of him.  He runs a fun offense to watch.

Rudy Baylor

Atlhogfan1

Hatfield. We know why he left though.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 12, 2017, 12:08:28 pm
Major Applewhite would not step down from being a head coach to be our OC. He will win at Houston and get a job as HC at a big program in the next couple years.

Hopefully, he will be on deck when Bielema gets fired.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: rhames on September 12, 2017, 09:12:45 am
Make Gundy say no. Maybe make a run at Dana Holgorsen.

Not sure I want a first time head coach

Wish Willie didn't already jump to Oregon.

Gundy would SAY NO IN A HEARTBEAT, OSU is a better job.

hawgon

Quote from: tuskaloosa on September 12, 2017, 11:23:40 am
I would like to get Major Applewhite at O.C. if Dan Enos leaves or can't get it together. Dan Enos got out coached by Gary Patterson. That is alright because Patterson is one of the best defensive minds in the game. I want to see Enos step up his game. Period!

If Enos leaves, no OC with a pulse is going to come work for a lame duck.

factchecker

Quote from: hawgon on September 12, 2017, 03:41:22 pm
If Enos leaves, no OC with a pulse is going to come work for a lame duck.

Correct.  If Enos leaves then we will have to promote Lunney.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

texas tush hog

Jackrabbit Hog

How about Ken Niumatalolo from Navy?  I think that's the biggest name in college coaching right now.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 12, 2017, 04:19:37 pm
How about Ken Niumatalolo from Navy?  I think that's the biggest name in college coaching right now.

Bronco Mendenhall, dude....

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

depressed_fan

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 04:22:18 pm
We could do worse than either.  :)

Well, I'm not a fan of the flexbone, but yeah, no doubt.....

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 04:26:53 pm
Well, I'm not a fan of the flexbone, but yeah, no doubt.....

I just love watching it.  It wouldn't be a good fit here, but KN's a good coach for sure.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 04:38:48 pm
I just love watching it.  It wouldn't be a good fit here, but KN's a good coach for sure.

And we don't have to worry about him getting lei d.......

Jackrabbit Hog

hawgtime

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on September 11, 2017, 11:15:37 pm
I can honestly say id rather have nutt back, atleast he could get a few recruits

I cannot!

hawgtime

Quote from: PLHawg on September 12, 2017, 03:01:34 pm
Mike Norvell at Memphis.  He's young, motivated, and runs a dynamic offense, seems to be a good recruiter as his '17 class was the top-ranked class in Memphis history (even though that might not be saying that much).  Memphis had their most ever offensive yards in his first year as head coach with a 1st year QB.  This is the type of guy we need to be targeting, although we probably won't because he doesn't have enough HC experience.  Look what OU is doing with a young 1st year HC.

hummm

Hollywood870

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 12, 2017, 07:52:13 am
We don't need a big name.  We need young, hungry and brilliant.  Even the big boys (LSU, Florida, Georgia, etc) haven't been able to hire "big" names so I'm thinking we need the next coordinator ready to make the leap or an innovative coach at a lower level school.