Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a big name coach Arkansas can land?

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 11, 2017, 10:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbackAlways

Petrino was a huge name. At least, I consider him a big name. He had the style needed to coach college ball at the SEC level. Is there anyone out there at his caliber who could be our next coach?

BigE_23

This isn't the way we need to think. We caught lightening in a bottle with Bobby, and felt like we had to go get the biggest name we could to replace him. That's what got us in trouble with Bert.

The answer is to go after a premier coordinator, or a solid up-and-comer. Brent Venables, Dave Aranda, etc.

Calihog2012

Cavtastic Voyage

Throw a unprecedented amount of money at chip kelly

BigE_23

Quote from: Calihog2012 on September 11, 2017, 10:49:02 pm
I would go after Mike Leach or  Mike Norvell

Norvell...I'm interested. Leach...no thank you!

Mike MacIntyre was my guy 5 years ago, would still love to see him here.

Calihog2012

I have no idea why JL went Bielema - who did he interview before hiring bielema?

I personally would love to seecdana holgorsen here - some offense would excite the fan base

BB feels like houston nutt all over again

HardCore

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on September 11, 2017, 10:52:09 pm
Throw a unprecedented amount of money at chip kelly

At least try to get him.....if we don't, aTm will
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: Calihog2012 on September 11, 2017, 10:58:36 pm
I have no idea why JL went Bielema - who did he interview before hiring bielema?

I personally would love to seecdana holgorsen here - some offense would excite the fan base

BB feels like houston nutt all over again

I can honestly say id rather have nutt back, atleast he could get a few recruits

kp72204

I'm not sure that the Arkansas job is a desirable job. Not sure of any top coach coming here but someone with something to prove is possible. However, if they get to 9-10 wins I think they would bolt for a higher profile job. With that said I still think were 2 years away from a coaching change. They only way I see him getting relieved/fired is to lose every SEC game on the schedule.

Michael_E_Davis

What about Paul Johnson?  He runs a really unique offense that gives almost everyone they play fits. Tennessee was lucky to escape them.  He might bring something interesting to the SEC,  with a little bit better players (SEC brand) and Arkansas might be a step up for him.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Oklahawg

Nutt couldn't recruit hookers with a crack pipe and a stack of $20 bills. Even his in-state connections were not enough to have a few misses over the years (not unlike CBB).

The only coaches that HV would approve of are Tom Landry, Bear Bryant, Jimmy Johnson, and John Gruden.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JayHog

I heard John Gruden was coming. Vin Ascolese is rumored to be his DB coach.

The Kig

Quote from: kp72204 on September 12, 2017, 12:00:16 am
I'm not sure that the Arkansas job is a desirable job. Not sure of any top coach coming here but someone with something to prove is possible. However, if they get to 9-10 wins I think they would bolt for a higher profile job. With that said I still think were 2 years away from a coaching change. They only way I see him getting relieved/fired is to lose every SEC game on the schedule.

As much as we love the Hogs, there is truth to it not being the destination job we wish it to be...
Poker Porker

Steef

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 12, 2017, 01:26:01 am
Nutt couldn't recruit hookers with a crack pipe and a stack of $20 bills. Even his in-state connections were not enough to have a few misses over the years (not unlike CBB).

The only coaches that HV would approve of are Tom Landry, Bear Bryant, Jimmy Johnson, and John Gruden.

I never liked any of those guys.

Now .. Vince Lombardi....

The Great Hambino

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 12, 2017, 12:36:33 am
What about Paul Johnson?  He runs a really unique offense that gives almost everyone they play fits. Tennessee was lucky to escape them.  He might bring something interesting to the SEC,  with a little bit better players (SEC brand) and Arkansas might be a step up for him.

I wish there wasn't a "profanity" filter here so I could put the F word before no.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 12, 2017, 03:52:09 am
I wish there wasn't a "profanity" filter here so I could put the F word before no.

Is it forking Paul Johnson or is it the forking triple option? Because I don't mind the forking triple option. But I would rather not have forking Johnson.

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hawgon

Just go out and get one of these young guys at a lesser program and don't worry about a big name.  Bielema was a big name and has utterly failed.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

jgphillips3

We don't need a big name.  We need young, hungry and brilliant.  Even the big boys (LSU, Florida, Georgia, etc) haven't been able to hire "big" names so I'm thinking we need the next coordinator ready to make the leap or an innovative coach at a lower level school.

DeltaBoy

2 are Dead and the other 2 are a LONG SHOT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

hogcard1964

No, we'll never have another big name coach. I always liked Mike Bobo of Colorado St.  Young, offensive minded, excellent QB coach under Mark Richt at Georgia.  Gets his team really fired up.  I think this is the guy we should look at next season.

hogsanity

What makes you people think anyone is going to recruit the talent needed, in sufficient numbers, to have the type of depth required to win in the sec?  And I guess by win we mean win the secw because if that is not at least the goal, what is the point?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 11, 2017, 10:45:24 pm
This isn't the way we need to think. We caught lightening in a bottle with Bobby, and felt like we had to go get the biggest name we could to replace him. That's what got us in trouble with Bert.

The answer is to go after a premier coordinator, or a solid up-and-comer. Brent Venables, Dave Aranda, etc.

No, hiring Jeff Long as AD is what got us in trouble with Bret.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Actually, before Nutt was exposed as a MOTHO he was a much better than average recruiter.  He could lie to your face--all the while knowing he was lying to you--and you would believe him anyway.  He was a likable guy (again, before he was exposed as a MOTHO).

And, I think CBB may possess some of these same qualities.  He's a likable guy and you want to believe him, even when you know it will be exposed as a facade.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hoghiker

hogcard1964

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 12, 2017, 07:52:13 am
We don't need a big name.  We need young, hungry and brilliant.  Even the big boys (LSU, Florida, Georgia, etc) haven't been able to hire "big" names so I'm thinking we need the next coordinator ready to make the leap or an innovative coach at a lower level school.

+1000

Mike Bobo

Piggfoot

It would not make any difference who we get to coach the hogs. The recruiting would be the same. Since joining the SEC we lost our Texas connections that were a must for Arkansas football. Arkansas will be relevant when our high schools produce an excellent crop of SEC caliber players the same way when Nutt and Petrino had good teams.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 12, 2017, 08:39:39 am
It would not make any difference who we get to coach the hogs. The recruiting would be the same. Since joining the SEC we lost our Texas connections that were a must for Arkansas football. Arkansas will be relevant when our high schools produce an excellent crop of SEC caliber players the same way when Nutt and Petrino had good teams.

Actually that has ALWAYS been when the Hogs were good, 3 or 4 years after and excellent group of in staters were signed and were complimented by a couple outstanding players from out of state. Look at the best teams JFB, Holtz, Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, BP all had. All were lead by a far above normal group of instate players, plus one or 2 key pieces from outside.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OneLardAlmighty

When it gets to that point, we need to look for the next PJ Fleck or DJ Durkin. 

Someone with no name at all...just initials.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 08:42:30 am
Actually that has ALWAYS been when the Hogs were good, 3 or 4 years after and excellent group of in staters were signed and were complimented by a couple outstanding players from out of state. Look at the best teams JFB, Holtz, Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, BP all had. All were lead by a far above normal group of instate players, plus one or 2 key pieces from outside.

Exactly.  Nobody in their right mind should expect us to be Alabama competing for a title every year.  However, we should be good enough to have a shot at the SEC title every 5 years on average with maybe a shot at the playoffs once a decade.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Calihog2012 on September 11, 2017, 10:49:02 pm
I would go after Mike Leach or  Mike Norvell

Leach would be nice.  Has had success everywhere.

go hogues

You can't get them without including the large buyout, which is why we're in our current predicament.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

We are a top 25 job.  Our problem is having management that can locate and reccognise a decent coach when they see one.  It starts with attitude. Does he have passion.  Does his preferred system even fit the type of recruit we will get and have any chance of working in the SEC.  Even if BB was really good at coaching, his system is not the best idea for an Arkansas type team who gets middle of the road recruits but still wishes to compete.  We cannot run over most P5 teams yet thats what we really want to do.  Our loss ratio goes up quite a bit just by scheme alone.  The horsecrap being offered to prop up BB that you cannot recruit to Arkansas is not totally accurate.  If Okie St and even OU can recruit to their schools we should be able to recruit to Arkansas.  Oklahoma is even more backward than Arkansas from a social point of view.  But they got 3 decent football teams at the P5 level. And the Tulsa HC should be on our list of hires when and if we ever get rid of the total loser we now have.  Our management is our largest problem.  Collectively,  they wouldn't know a real football coach if one should walk by, clueless.

Soooie21

Who knows...Is coach BB and Enos on the same page...one what's a power running game and the other more open maybe. Allen had time to throw on most of his throws, but seems like the receivers weren't in the right spots most of the time..

rhames

Make Gundy say no. Maybe make a run at Dana Holgorsen.

Not sure I want a first time head coach

Wish Willie didn't already jump to Oregon. 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The Kig on September 12, 2017, 03:35:54 am
As much as we love the Hogs, there is truth to it not being the destination job we wish it to be...

Our last two football hires were impressive on paper. We can get high caliber coaches here.  Thanks for selling us short though!

texas tush hog

Quote from: hawgon on September 12, 2017, 07:33:43 am
Just go out and get one of these young guys at a lesser program and don't worry about a big name.  Bielema was a big name and has utterly failed.

A name that will become big in a couple of years is Major Applewhite at Houston. Talking to the young man is like talking to Lou Holtz or Jim Harbaugh in their early days. Only problem is you will have to worry about the teasips to come calling after he is successful. Major is like the next coming of J.Frank Broyles or Darrell Royal back in the 50's. Brilliant football mind, just watch and wait.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2017, 08:21:40 am
What makes you people think anyone is going to recruit the talent needed, in sufficient numbers, to have the type of depth required to win in the sec?  And I guess by win we mean win the secw because if that is not at least the goal, what is the point?

At this point I'd just be happy with a coach that can beat big 12, AAC, Mac, and lower tier sec teams.

hamARchy in the USA

The question shouldn't be whether we can get a big name coach but when can we get a championship coach.

And it isn't a question of whether Arkansas can land one but whether the AD can.

GunnerHawg70

Hahahaha!!!  +1 ;)

hobhog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 12, 2017, 09:12:51 am
Our last two football hires were impressive on paper. We can get high caliber coaches here.  Thanks for selling us short though!

Dont ruin the pity party!

DoctorSusscrofa

Not by themselves we wouldn't.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

texas tush hog

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on September 12, 2017, 09:14:56 am
The question shouldn't be whether we can get a big name coach but when can we get a championship coach.

And it isn't a question of whether Arkansas can land one but whether the AD can.

Have confidence in Arkansas but none in Jeffie.

Nafunu32

The problem with Bert, is he thought he could out Bama, Bama. Even Bama knows that smash mouth football is failing due to the way things are going. Everyone wants to see high flying action and the NCAA is catering to those type of offenses.

HawgTrough

Quote from: kp72204 on September 12, 2017, 12:00:16 am

who was the last ARK coach to bolt for a higher profile job? Holtz?
WPS

LZH

Who was the young guy that was coaching down in Lafayette a few years ago that everyone was so high on? Whatever happened to him?