Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Fabled Walmart Exec boosters I keep hearing about

Started by PEtrader, September 12, 2017, 10:47:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PEtrader

Who are these people?   Most of the execs I know,  and I know a lot of them,  are not even from Arkansas let alone make enough money for a buy out.   Doug possibly,  but I doubt he is forking over millions of his own.   

My point is that the WMT execs flying to the rescue is not an option here.   Walton family money possibly,  but not sure how big of football fans they even are.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

3kgthog

Any chance of getting more Walton money for athletics died when Bud...died.

factchecker

Non alumni might not care but.....

http://news.uark.edu/articles/39335/visionary-gift-creates-school-of-art-transforms-access-to-art-in-arkansas

QuoteThe University of Arkansas is pleased to announce an unprecedented gift from the Walton Family Charitable Support Foundation to establish the School of Art.

The foundation has made a $120 million gift, which is the largest ever given to a U.S. university to support or establish a school of art. This gift creates the first and only accredited, collegiate school of art in the state of Arkansas, and will propel art education and research in the state forward while also providing unparalleled access and opportunity to students.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NuttinItUp

PEtrader

Quote from: factchecker on September 12, 2017, 11:03:13 pm
Non alumni might not care but.....

http://news.uark.edu/articles/39335/visionary-gift-creates-school-of-art-transforms-access-to-art-in-arkansas

I get that,  but that's the family giving to the arts/education.   I don't think they care about the football program.   The family is incredibly philanthropic,  but it's to culture/improvement of society. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

factchecker

Quote from: PEtrader on September 12, 2017, 11:14:54 pm
I get that,  but that's the family giving to the arts/education.   I don't think they care about the football program.   The family is incredibly philanthropic,  but it's to culture/improvement of society.

Which is awesome.  I'm appreciative that they give any money to my alma mater.  In regards to athletics, they've given more then their share.  Just look at Bud Walton.

The sad truth is that if they give $1 to the Razorback Foundation then give more than the majority of hogville.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

radar

What idiot would put up the money to bail out Long while he is still in position to hire the replacement?

PEtrader

Hoggish1

Quote from: radar on September 13, 2017, 01:15:02 am
What idiot would put up the money to bail out Long while he is still in position to hire the replacement?

Well, this is the conundrum, isn't it.?

Malvin

Walmart (related people) doesn't donate money to the school for athletic purposes, there are many other rich idiots that can donate plenty of money for that.  Walmart typically donates money for the arts & education.. or for projects that help the well being of people in the area.

Malvin

Quote from: factchecker on September 12, 2017, 11:31:40 pm
Which is awesome.  I'm appreciative that they give any money to my alma mater.  In regards to athletics, they've given more then their share.  Just look at Bud Walton.

The sad truth is that if they give $1 to the Razorback Foundation then give more than the majority of hogville.

You have to read between the lines though, what is Bud Walton used for every year?  Yes, the Walmart share holder meeting.. so they basically got a stadium built for their shareholder meeting but only had to pay half of it while they got the school/state to pay for the other half.  That's Walmart being clever.  :)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PEtrader on September 12, 2017, 10:47:30 pm
Who are these people?   Most of the execs I know,  and I know a lot of them,  are not even from Arkansas let alone make enough money for a buy out.   Doug possibly,  but I doubt he is forking over millions of his own.   

My point is that the WMT execs flying to the rescue is not an option here.   Walton family money possibly,  but not sure how big of football fans they even are.

I think the people who constantly refer to them hearken back to the day when it was a Walton family enterprise.  Those days are long gone and the folks who run Walmart are about as much Hog fans as Bill Gates and the rotting corpse of Steve Jobs.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The OTR

None of these folks are going to hand the U of A millions to bail Jeff Long out.  I'm amazed at how many people think someone will come along and do that.  If and when we buy out CBB it will be university money in some form or fashion.  Long made his bed and folks with money aren't going to give him money because he made a bad business decision a few years ago. 

People who think Jerry Jones or any of these big donors are going to get as mad as you are about our losing ways and write a big check are delusional.

Martygit

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 13, 2017, 08:53:53 am
I think the people who constantly refer to them hearken back to the day when it was a Walton family enterprise.  Those days are long gone and the folks who run Walmart are about as much Hog fans as Bill Gates and the rotting corpse of Steve Jobs.

You seem to be into rotting corpses these days, Jimmy?
RIP OTR, REV

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 13, 2017, 08:43:10 am
Give Terry Don a 2 year gig and he'd hire Venables and that would give us 2 years to find an AD that "fits" , and be then we'll know if we got the right up-n-comer or not.

No buyouts.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hobhog

All I know is they are pumping an incredible amount of money into Bentonville area. Arts and entertainment Capitol of Arkansas now. Other than the traffic, it's a pretty cool city and is only going to grow culturally.

Tusks

Quote from: Malvin on September 13, 2017, 08:43:13 am
Walmart (related people) doesn't donate money to the school for athletic purposes, there are many other rich idiots that can donate plenty of money for that.  Walmart typically donates money for the arts & education.. or for projects that help the well being of people in the area.

I wish they could work something out with the state and improve the k-12 education in the state of arkansas.  that would do as much as anything to leave a lasting legacy
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 13, 2017, 10:51:42 am
Give Terry Don a 2 year gig and he'd hire Venables and that would give us 2 years to find an AD that "fits" , and be then we'll know if we got the right up-n-comer or not.

No buyouts.

that would be awesome.  he was destined to be JFB replacement until he pulled a 'bill clinton'

another missed opportunity in razorback sports.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on September 13, 2017, 11:28:58 am
I'm a former Walmart employee of 17 1/2 years.  This past year I helped to set up the Walmart Winter Meetings in Denver and got to meet several of these execs including Doug (CEO).  Talked a little about Walmart and I interjected that I was a Razorback fan and just wondered how he felt about the HOGS (in general).  He seemed very disinterested in the University and excused himself from the conversation.  The people who were with me and huge Razorback fans also (2 from Arkansas), just looked at each other.  One guy said.....that was kind of rude.   My overall thoughts on Walmart execs is that they really could care less about the University unless its to Walmarts benefit.   Could be wrong on this of course but its what I've seen in other states other than Arkansas.

Bingo.  Kinda what I thought.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PEtrader

I'm a former Walmart employee of 17 1/2 years.  This past year I helped to set up the Walmart Winter Meetings in Denver and got to meet several of these execs including Doug (CEO).  Talked a little about Walmart and I interjected that I was a Razorback fan and just wondered how he felt about the HOGS (in general).  He seemed very disinterested in the University and excused himself from the conversation.  The people who were with me and huge Razorback fans also (2 from Arkansas), just looked at each other.  One guy said.....that was kind of rude.   My overall thoughts on Walmart execs is that they really could care less about the University unless its to Walmarts benefit.   Could be wrong on this of course but its what I've seen in other states other than Arkansas.

Yep.  I know a few who are definitely fans,  but not to the point they Are writing even a 100k check.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on September 12, 2017, 11:31:40 pm

Boom.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Malvin on September 13, 2017, 08:44:44 am
You have to read between the lines though, what is Bud Walton used for every year?  Yes, the Walmart share holder meeting.. so they basically got a stadium built for their shareholder meeting but only had to pay half of it while they got the school/state to pay for the other half.  That's Walmart being clever.  :)

Good point...and Bud only had to scratch a check for half of about $40 million.  BWA would be about $120-150 million were it built today. 

Were Bud Walton still alive it would be a stretch to imagine him shelling out $15 million to get rid of a coach when he shelled out $19 million to build half of "The Basketball Palace of Mid-America" that will last generations.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Running one of the largest if not the largest corporations in the world with a global footprint and millions of employees puts things in perspective.  If I was CEO of Walmart I wouldn't have time to post on Hogville or chit chat with proles about such mundane matters as college football.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MountieDawg

Quote from: PEtrader on September 12, 2017, 10:47:30 pm

Cheaper to give CBB a Harley for Christmas and have it delivered by tall blonde! 
SEC!

cosmodrum

For sure. If we were getting "Walmart" money, it wouldn't come from the corp, it would come from the Walton family, which it won't.
Go away, batin'

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2017, 03:29:23 pm
Running one of the largest if not the largest corporations in the world with a global footprint and millions of employees puts things in perspective.  If I was CEO of Walmart I wouldn't have time to post on Hogville or chit chat with proles about such mundane matters as college football.

Yup agreed. And 15 mil is a ton of money for anyone to drop just to get rid of a coach.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Tejano Jawg

Read ModestoHOG63's post. I wouldn't expect WalMart to come to our rescue.

Growing up in Bentonville, before the Walton family had a gate on their driveway, WalMart was a place where a lot of "locals" worked their way up the ladder. Over the years, more people from "the outside"—or we can call them Damn Northerners—started moving in. Many of them in high positions. WalMart ain't the same anymore.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GoHogs1091

My late Father personally knew Sam and Helen.

Based on what my late Father told me, here is what Sam was interested in.

Bird hunting
Sidewalk selling (putting merchandise out on the sidewalk)
Taking care of customers
Taking care of his truck drivers (my Father told me Sam really made sure to take care of his truck drivers)
Flying his plane

Highly doubtful Rob and the rest of the family really care about UofA Athletics. 

Inhogswetrust

September 13, 2017, 06:47:07 pm #28 Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:42:03 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 13, 2017, 08:43:10 am

Conundrum = decent wine.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 04:00:50 pm
My late Father personally knew Sam and Helen.

Based on what my late Father told me, here is what Sam was interested in.

Bird hunting
Sidewalk selling (putting merchandise out on the sidewalk)
Taking care of customers
Taking care of his truck drivers (my Father told me Sam really made sure to take care of his truck drivers)
Flying his plane

Highly doubtful Rob and the rest of the family really care about UofA Athletics. 

Then ask yourself why Alice Walton was calling the Hogs from the field during a game a few years ago when she was being recognized for her generosity to the school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 13, 2017, 06:48:59 pm
Then ask yourself why Alice Walton was calling the Hogs from the field during a game a few years ago when she was being recognized for her generosity to the school.

Read the threads about academics.  The majority of our fanbase don't care about the Walton's generosity to The University of Arkansas.  It probably pisses them off that the Walton Foundation gave $120 million to start an art school.  Education is looked down on in this state.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 13, 2017, 08:53:53 am

I know Doug McMillion is a Hog fan, but I doubt he's going to do the buyout, lol.

Hog 48

I think, maybe the Walton money dried up when Nolan rented out their skybox without asking! just sayin

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 07:04:33 pm
I know Doug McMillion is a Hog fan, but I doubt he's going to do the buyout, lol.

He's an alumnus of The University of Arkansas as well but we better not discuss education...... it will make hogville mad.

"Dem dam walmarts don't carez about muh athelicz.  Bunch of medicorituy loosers."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

My cousin is married to a member of the Charlie and Nadine Baum family. Guess where the Baum family money came from............Wal-Mart.

Danny J

Quote from: tusked on September 13, 2017, 10:57:23 am
I wish they could work something out with the state and improve the k-12 education in the state of arkansas.  that would do as much as anything to leave a lasting legacy
I would settle for them donating to fix our roads. I feel like I am driving the Baja 500 riding down hwy 71 south

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 13, 2017, 07:14:12 pm
My cousin is married to a member of the Charlie and Nadine Baum family. Guess where the Baum family money came from............Wal-Mart.

Let's not forget about Pat and Willard Walker:

QuoteCharlie Baum and Willard Walker were among Sam Walton's first store managers and became investors when Wal-Mart Stores went public. The Baum and Walker families, among the many so-called Wal-Mart millionaires in northwest Arkansas, became close to DeBriyn through the years.

http://www.rexnelsonsouthernfried.com/?p=3730

Yep, dem walmartz don't carez bout da Razorbacks.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on September 13, 2017, 07:18:34 pm
Let's not forget about Pat and Willard Walker:

http://www.rexnelsonsouthernfried.com/?p=3730

Yep, dem walmartz don't carez bout da Razorbacks.

They've given tons of money to the school. Not only that two of Sam's kids graduated from the UA. The state of Arkansas, The University and countless others should thank the Walton family and the Wal-Mart people for all the've done and continue to do. Of course a company as large and wide spread as Wal-Mart will not have all of their execs love the Hogs or the school. That is true with any large company located close to a school and some of the poles that work there.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 13, 2017, 07:14:12 pm

As did the Walker money.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Danny J on September 13, 2017, 07:17:17 pm
I would settle for them donating to fix our roads. I feel like I am driving the Baja 500 riding down hwy 71 south

I drove up 71 last year for one of the games just for nostalgia. It was deserted! I loved driving it without all the traffic like it used to have!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 07:34:01 pm
As did the Walker money.

As does many more Wal-Mart connections that indeed support the Hogs and the academic mission of the school as well.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 07:34:01 pm
As did the Walker money.

So if we had to guess - how much money have the Walton Foundation and friends given to the University of Arkansas and the Razorback athletic progam?  Somewhere north of 500 million?

Now compare that to the collective donation amount of hog fans trying to spend other people's money.

Too funny.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on September 13, 2017, 07:02:14 pm
Read the threads about academics.  The majority of our fanbase don't care about the Walton's generosity to The University of Arkansas.  It probably pisses them off that the Walton Foundation gave $120 million to start an art school.  Education is looked down on in this state.

Education is not looked down on. It is unfortunate that some don't think it's important. That's true in a lot of places. That being said there are always some people complaining about HOW rich people spend their money yet some of the complainers themselves do nothing to try to better themselves. An education is one of the best ways to do so. That doesn't mean you'll get rich but it gives one a better chance statistically of living a more comfortable life.

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on September 13, 2017, 07:40:14 pm
So if we had to guess - how much money have the Walton Foundation and friends given to the University of Arkansas and the Razorback athletic progam?  Somewhere north of 500 million?

Now compare that to the collective donation amount of hog fans trying to spend other people's money.

Too funny.

Easily. $350m to the business school, $120m for the Art Dept, $15m, for BWA, throw in the Walker's and Baum's money, and then all the smaller stuff like the McMillion donation for Retail etc...

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: radar on September 13, 2017, 01:15:02 am

excellent point sir

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 07:47:14 pm
Easily. $350m to the business school, $120m for the Art Dept, $15m, for BWA, throw in the Walker's and Baum's money, and then all the smaller stuff like the McMillion donation for Retail etc...

And various others that nobody hears about in smaller givings/donations not in the millions.

lasthog

Quote from: PEtrader on September 12, 2017, 11:14:54 pm

Don't care enough about the football program to donate 15mm to fire a coach, a coach that is becoming increasingly unpopular?

How dare they! Don't they know people are dying here?!!!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 13, 2017, 06:48:59 pm

Her generosity to the academic side of the school.

Bud's donation for the basketball arena is the only donation that I am aware of that the family itself has made to the athletic side of the school.

Of course, there may have been a secondary motive for Bud's donation for the basketball arena, i.e., a place for the shareholders' meeting.

Rudy Baylor