Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heard it from a friend who

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 13, 2017, 10:38:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hawgon on September 13, 2017, 11:26:13 am
If things go the way they look like they might this year, you have to consider that he and his family are going to want out of town.  It won't be pleasant.  In that situation he would probably see a negotiated buyout as a lifeline as much as anything else.
I agree.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 13, 2017, 11:25:58 am
I've got a source on this too.

If you'd like her take on it you can reach her at 867-5309, ask for Jenny.
What is the area code? And is that last number a 9-E-YIN?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jrulz83

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:28:32 am
What is the area code? And is that last number a 9-E-YIN?

Who can I turn to?
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

311Hog

LRHawg

As a card-carrying darksider, the only comfort I have is he'll have to take a settlement this year or next, because he's young and Jimmy will convince him that he needs to get out before he completely destroys his brand.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 11:24:33 am

You're using leaps or logic to come to an outcome you desire.
There is not very much logic in situations like this. No one ever sees it coming or thinks it very possible. Then, boom! Who thought Ford would be let go after only 4 seasons? No one had a clue that Crowe would be fired after Citadel game. No one. At the time, almost no one thought Nutt would be fired after his 10th season. And no one ever imagined Holtz being fired after year 7 either. Hindsight is crystal clear. I lived through all of that and fact is, everyone was pretty shocked every time and could not understand it until Orville or Wally explained it to them.

But you continue using logic to understand all of this.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: LRHawg on September 13, 2017, 11:31:10 am
As a card-carrying darksider, the only comfort I have is he'll have to take a settlement this year or next, because he's young and Jimmy will convince him that he needs to get out before he completely destroys his brand.

This. I suspect after this year he needs to get out. 2018 could be worse than this year. New QB, Ragnow gone, best WR gone, probably looking at a new OL coach. His only hope is a big turnaround this year and it starts next Saturday.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 10:51:15 am
Yep, it allows him to resign instead of getting fired which looks better when trying to get another job.
You don't think other schools will know what happened?

IronHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:31:49 am
There is not very much logic in situations like this. No one ever sees it coming or thinks it very possible. Then, boom! Who thought Ford would be let go after only 4 seasons? No one had a clue that Crowe would be fired after Citadel game. No one. At the time, almost no one thought Nutt would be fired after his 10th season. And no one ever imagined Holtz being fired after year 7 either. Hindsight is crystal clear. I lived through all of that and fact is, everyone was pretty shocked every time and could not understand it until Orville or Wally explained it to them.

Long will make sure he comes out looking great.  He's not great at hiring coaches but he's a smart AD

The way that happens is a muTUAL agreement where both parties come out ahead.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 13, 2017, 11:33:48 am
You don't think other schools will know what happened?

That's not the point.

ADs understand coaches may not be a good fit......however they won't want a coach that dug his heels in at the end.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

AugustaHog

I just don't know if I buy this.  If that conversation is being had, it's probably past time to move on.  I don't think JL is bringing that up ahead of time. 

razoredge178

All water under a fridge if ANY Big10 job comes open. He can't pack his boxes fast enough to get back to that crap conference where you stack the lines with big fat white boys and win games scoring 14-17 PPG.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razoredge178 on September 13, 2017, 11:40:59 am
All water under a fridge if ANY Big10 job comes open. He can't pack his boxes fast enough to get back to that crap conference where you stack the lines with big fat white boys and win games scoring 14-17 PPG.
True. And Bielema can't win at Arkansas even when we score in the 20's.

Al Boarland

Take the $15m and go coach HS ball somewhere with good weather and lower expectations. Enjoy time with your kids and live a full life.

hogcard1964

Quote from: razoredge178 on September 13, 2017, 11:40:59 am

He had some high scoring offenses at Wisconsin.

razoredge178

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 11:45:54 am
He had some high scoring offenses at Wisconsin.

And lots more low scoring offenses.

gawntrail

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 13, 2017, 11:40:02 am
I just don't know if I buy this.  If that conversation is being had, it's probably past time to move on.  I don't think JL is bringing that up ahead of time.

May have been agreed upon long ago.  The huge buyout being the recruiting tool, and the real buyout/separation is amicable.

Calling All Hogs

Considering how Jeff Long negotiates, any "negotiated settlement" would probably be higher than the current buyout.

ricepig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 13, 2017, 11:51:54 am
Considering how Jeff Long negotiates, any "negotiated settlement" would probably be higher than the current buyout.

Quite true......

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 11:19:28 am
Sexton isn't his agent, unless he's switched lately.
Neil Cornrich, unless he's switched lately.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:31:49 am

Actually Ford was the Hog HC for 5 seasons.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

codeHog

think about his next job......how happy the fans will be when he says "It will take me 5 years to find a team of nice, smart kids"

TNhawgfan

Quote from: HawgTrough on September 13, 2017, 11:05:53 am
Bielema will milk the buyout until Ferentz retires.
Ferentz already has a replacement coach in waiting, and it's his son. Iowa will be coached by a Ferentz for several more years
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

GoHogs1091

Quote from: TNhawgfan on September 13, 2017, 12:05:22 pm
Ferentz already has a replacement coach in waiting, and it's his son. Iowa will be coached by a Ferentz for several more years

Same with Kansas State.  It is thought that Bill Snyder wants his son to replace him.

Bielema's future employment opportunities may be as either a Defensive Coordinator in the Little 10/Ohio State & Michigan conference, or a Head Coach in the Sun Belt conference.

I don't believe it, not for a minute.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 10:38:48 am
heard from a friend who heard it from another that during the annual job review earlier this year Bielema and Long agreed on a negotiated settlement if this year is same or worse than last year.

I know this is total rumor but wonder if it is possible. It seems plausible to me as an average fan given Bielema's first 4 seasons at Arkansas, but I have no idea if this kind of arrangement is ever discussed ahead of time by coaches and AD's under certain circumstances.

I did not want to mess up REO's lyrics but the friends are relatives of mine and the "another" is someone in the upper hierarchy at the U of A.
Nyjmsu

phadedhawg

Hope is a seductive mistress isn't she?

Meh, it all sounds reasonable.  I'm ready for a coaching change but not so bad that I view Bret and Jeff as evil Bond villains.  Jeff is an intelligent executive and he will want the least amount of drama as possible.  Neither character involved has shown maliciousness and both seem to have a lot of respect for the school.   Bret wants to walk out of Arkansas with his head held high and the only way he will accomplish that is thru personal dignity.  He will never have the coaching record to point to and say "Arkansas did me wrong". 

Other schools have more obtainable expectations of success.  With a young family, that might seem more appealing that it would have 3 years ago.  Leave soon, leave with grace, and Arkansas fans will always tell the college football world that Bret is a good guy, it just didn't work out. 

Of course it's very possible we all playin' ourselves but I have hope.  Jeff and Bret are decent guys and want what's best.

PorkRinds

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 13, 2017, 12:16:08 pm

Meh, it all sounds reasonable.  I'm ready for a coaching change but not so bad that I view Bret and Jeff as evil Bond villains.  Jeff is an intelligent executive and he will want the least amount of drama as possible.  Neither character involved has shown maliciousness and both seem to have a lot of respect for the school.   Bret wants to walk out of Arkansas with his head held high and the only way he will accomplish that is thru personal dignity.  He will never have the coaching record to point to and say "Arkansas did me wrong". 

Other schools have more obtainable expectations of success.  With a young family, that might seem more appealing that it would have 3 years ago.  Leave soon, leave with grace, and Arkansas fans will always tell the college football world that Bret is a good guy, it just didn't work out. 

Of course it's very possible we all playin' ourselves but I have hope.  Jeff and Bret are decent guys and want what's best.

Good post.

longpig

Quote from: jst01 on September 13, 2017, 10:47:29 am
Hypothetically, Maybe he sees that its way too hard to meet expectations here with the type of players you can get, playing against the competition in this conference. He's thinking, if I cant get above 6-7 wins in year 5 then I should probably just go coach somewhere else.

Hypothetically, maybe he sees that it takes a lot more of a head coach to win at any SEC West program than he's capable of being.  I'm just not seeing less talent on the field than what Arkansas has won with in the past. I'm seeing a lack of preparedness creating frustration then decreased effort among good players.  He's repeatedly made statements that suggest he doesn't get it. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 13, 2017, 11:51:54 am

Good Lord, I never considered that.  Bielema may walk away with more than 11.5 after January.

MJ2

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 12:26:29 pm
Good Lord, I never considered that.  Bielema may walk away with more than 11.5 after January.

No doubt.   Those 2 are in cahoots as they say!   We'll never know the exact payout and it may have all kinds of clauses that trigger more payments for years to come.   In my opinion, no amount is too much to get rid of a bad mistake.

Razor1997

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 13, 2017, 11:14:27 am
This is quite possible for Bielema since he is no doubt a decent human being.  The last two coaches we've had here and I'm not including smiley, would not let that $ go.
Smiley wouldn't have let the money go either because the creditors he owed $40 million to wouldn't have allowed him to.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 11:53:22 am
Actually Ford was the Hog HC for 5 seasons.
I stand corrected. Bielema's % won-loss overall and in conference lower than Ford's though.

hogcard1964

Quote from: MJ2 on September 13, 2017, 12:30:44 pm
No doubt.   Those 2 are in cahoots as they say!   We'll never know the exact payout and it may have all kinds of clauses that trigger more payments for years to come.   In my opinion, no amount is too much to get rid of a bad mistake.

I'm still miffed how Nutt "resigned" and "took another job" a few days later, but Arkansas somehow ended up paying him.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 10:38:48 am
heard from a friend who heard it from another that during the annual job review earlier this year Bielema and Long agreed on a negotiated settlement if this year is same or worse than last year.

I know this is total rumor but wonder if it is possible. It seems plausible to me as an average fan given Bielema's first 4 seasons at Arkansas, but I have no idea if this kind of arrangement is ever discussed ahead of time by coaches and AD's under certain circumstances.

I did not want to mess up REO's lyrics but the friends are relatives of mine and the "another" is someone in the upper hierarchy at the U of A. 
Are you kidding me!coach B has no reason to do that.and i really can't blame him.the AD jumped the gun and gave him this Big buyout. now if Arkansas want's a new coach,they are going to pay thisman to leave.i do not believe your friend.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 11:14:25 am

Wasn't that like 3MM? We are talking 15MM

It drops to 11 on Jan 1.

Recruits will be signed by then. Most good coaches have just finished with bowls.

Time to let go of 15 as the buyout.

The Hawg Marshal

Let the season play out(wins/losses) and see what jobs come open. It may not be probable , but it is possible. As much heat as Bret took at the way things ended last year and the way they have started this year, you know he has to be very uncomfortable. Will that discomfort translate into trying to make a move, we'll have to wait and see. But right now all we have is hope.

longpig

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 13, 2017, 12:37:12 pm
Are you kidding me!coach B has no reason to do that.and i really can't blame him.the AD jumped the gun and gave him this Big buyout. now if Arkansas want's a new coach,they are going to pay thisman to leave.i do not believe your friend.

Read the thread.
Don't be scared, be smart.

phadedhawg

If his players love him, they need to start winning.  Nothing short of that will sort this situation out in Bret's favor. 

elksnort

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 13, 2017, 11:25:15 am
Charlie Weiss is a good guy as well.
Actually, I have heard that he is a POS.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Here's the deal.  Everything is negotiable.  Contracts were made to be broken.  While it seems implausible to us that BB would negotiate down $15 mil he has a bit of a stake in say making sure if there is a parting of the ways that it's amicable and does not tarnish his rep.

Remember this as good as any guy is  could be that S comes out after they leave.  It happens.  So to mitigate finger pointing or even minor shiz from coming out if there is a separation it's not totally out of the realm of possibility to get that amount down to a more palpable number. 

If true or at least thinking it's true would probably actually calm the fan base because then they could at least approach the rest of the season as well if it goes south at least there's the possibility of a change.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:26:02 am
Ok. I was talking to a friend in Fayetteville who was a 2 year starter on O line for Hatfield and he told me Sexton was Bielema's agent. I was not aware that Sexton was his agent but figured he knew what he was talking about. Maybe not. Thanks.

Which is true of the rest of your hypothesis, not true. You need better sources.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on September 13, 2017, 11:53:19 am
Neil Cornrich, unless he's switched lately.

Yeah, I knew it was some Yankee name, said in my best Delta voice..........

redneckfriend

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 13, 2017, 12:16:08 pm

You need to stop being reasonable- this is Hogville. You type your post in such a fashion that the readers can imagine the spittle flying from your mouth.

But yeah- I think Brett could leave of his own volition without demanding the full buyout. That possibility was raised in another thread and the reason he would do that is that he is still relatively young and might, if he sees the handwriting on the wall here, believe he can salvage a career in a more favorable situation. Just seems like the window of opportunity for Bielema is closing fast. A loss to A&M raises the possibility, that if he doesn't pull the trigger then, he could have a catastrophically bad SEC record this year and if that happens he is going to look like very damaged goods to every program of note.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 01:05:26 pm
Which is true of the rest of your hypothesis, not true. You need better sources.
Thanks. I never claimed the sources were anything but rumor to me. I appreciate a guy with over 40,000 posts here pointing out to me the obvious. You know best.

Razorbax

While I might question his football acumen, I believe he is a good guy....A type of guy you can hang with, drink a few beers and share a few stories with.
Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 10:41:29 am
because he is a good guy, and isn't that obtuse to ignore blatant failure if it happens.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 10:44:17 am

I mean if I had 15MM on the table I'm not letting any of that go
Better get some extra astroglide... [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MJ2

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 12:37:10 pm
I'm still miffed how Nutt "resigned" and "took another job" a few days later, but Arkansas somehow ended up paying him.

Right, if you recall when Holtz left he was "burnt out" and a short time later was coaching at MN.

Rayzback

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 10:44:17 am

I mean if I had 15MM on the table I'm not letting any of that go

$15M would sure buy a lotta beer, tackle, and bait :)
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin