Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's Happened to Arkansas' Tight Ends?

Started by Mike Irwin, September 11, 2017, 10:21:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

They were in the game but as soon as we got stuffed once, we stopped trying to stretch their secondary out with them.

Gave up basically.
This is my non-signature signature.

longpig

I'm sure we'll see more of them this season.  Hard to tell who will be the guy at this point, looks to be neck and neck with 3 of them.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: longpig on September 11, 2017, 10:37:06 pm
I'm sure we'll see more of them this season.  Hard to tell who will be the guy at this point, looks to be neck and neck with 3 of them.

Best hands probably goes to O'Grady.

This is my non-signature signature.

longpig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:39:35 pm
Best hands probably goes to O'Grady.

No doubt.  Speakin of Tight End U, it's Henry vs. Derby in Denver tonight.  So far, Derby has a better showing.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: longpig on September 11, 2017, 11:23:17 pm
No doubt.  Speakin of Tight End U, it's Henry vs. Derby in Denver tonight.  So far, Derby has a better showing.

I've been on it. Pretty good game. I'm happy Derby is getting some serious action.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

JayHog

And if our WR's are too inexperienced/not good enough to get open, then we need to be throwing to the TE's and the RB's a whole lot more!

TXArcher

I wondered that this past Saturday, short passes the TEs over the 8 in the box? I'm far from an expert, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: TXArcher on September 12, 2017, 04:29:40 am
I wondered that this past Saturday, short passes the TEs over the 8 in the box? I'm far from an expert, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I think they were trying to get Patton going and he caught one for a good chunk. Then jumped a couple plays later killing the drive.

Josh Goforth

Cantrell is as good as any in the league imo. But from there it is one skills or the other. Ogrady can catch anything thrown his way, Patton can run, but neither are great blockers in the run game. Will Gragg is so far down the depth chart Antwine is getting snaps ahead of him.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

how about a seam route, why does everything to the te have to be a roll out
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

texas tush hog

A bigger question is, what happened to Chase Hayden?

PorkRinds

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 12, 2017, 09:21:17 am
A bigger question is, what happened to Chase Hayden?

They were blitzing every play and he doesn't know how to pick up blocks very well yet.

tuskaloosa

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 11, 2017, 10:21:52 pm
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/whats-happened-to-arkansas-tight-ends/809449546

No more "Tight Ends U?"
We have plenty of tight ends. Jeremy Patton and Cheyenne O'Grady are gonna be Sunday players. Austin Cantrell is the most experienced in the group but he got a huge penalty that cost us a first down. All offensive coaches have said out of all the newcomers, Patton picked up the playbook the fastest. You will see more and more of O'Grady and Patton, and less of Cantrell as the season progresses.

redneckfriend

You would think, with the inexperience at wide receiver and the lack of confidence Allen is showing, that throwing to the tight ends would be a no-brainer-shorter, quicker passes. If fact it seems to me that at this point 5-10 yard passes to the tight end, and using double tight end sets, would be the center piece of the passing offense until the long game gets worked out (if it ever does). Now I would expect teams to treat Arkansas like a run-only team and keep the linebackers and safeties close to the LOS and make Allen beat them with the pass. I don't think he can if he has to rely on his wide receivers. It will be interesting to see if they add more plays to the TEs over the next two weeks.

lakecityhog

Our TE's have become O'Linemen, just like Sprinkle did last year!

hogginbama

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 04:45:30 pm
You would think, with the inexperience at wide receiver and the lack of confidence Allen is showing, that throwing to the tight ends would be a no-brainer-shorter, quicker passes. If fact it seems to me that at this point 5-10 yard passes to the tight end, and using double tight end sets, would be the center piece of the passing offense until the long game gets worked out (if it ever does). Now I would expect teams to treat Arkansas like a run-only team and keep the linebackers and safeties close to the LOS and make Allen beat them with the pass. I don't think he can if he has to rely on his wide receivers. It will be interesting to see if they add more plays to the TEs over the next two weeks.

QB has to look for them and they have to be open to be passed to. They were in the routes, but if they are the only option, teams will lock them up.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

razorbacksnum1

None of our current TE are Sunday players. They could get very little separation on Saturday in their routes and we don't have a dynamic playmaker. This is where we miss someone like Hunter Henry who you knew and could count on to make a play on 3rd or 4th down. Without a lot of improvement I don't see our current TEs being dominate...like the past few years.

codeHog

Patton is not a good blocker?  How do we know that?

How do we know our top two receiver TEs can not get open? Somebody break the film down? I did not see them thrown to enough to know that.

I think Bielema and the team watched the game film and know which coaches choked under pressure and which players sucked enough to take away a chance to win the game.

Bielema said "In two weeks we will be the nation's most improved team."

Once more, he is a wonderful orator, we will see if he can back up what he says. 0 for 3 of late.

HillBillyHogfan

look at what our last two tight-ends (Derby and Henry) before "5 finger discount" sprinkle are doing now... that's hard to replicate
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Letsroll1200

They're on the bench. O'Grady is the best TE on the team. It doesnt take 2-3 years to see that. Go back and watch the bowl game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 13, 2017, 04:53:10 pm
They're on the bench. O'Grady is the best TE on the team. It doesnt take 2-3 years to see that. Go back and watch the bowl game.

Right here.  He should have minimum of 10-12 targets a game.

codeHog

you throw to a blocker TE standing out of bounds when you have two big monster pass catchers not used....then fans have a right to question the staff's ability