Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week two Coaches' Hot Seat is...

Started by hawgon, September 11, 2017, 06:51:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

September 11, 2017, 06:51:07 am Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:34:34 am by hawgon
brutal.  And actually more for Jeff Long than Bielema.

This buyout deal is going to bring along down.  If he has a chance to move on, he needs to.  People are going to ask why we arent firing Bielema pretty soon and once the rest of the country figures it out, Long will be a laughing stock in the AD world.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/

JaketheSnake

No we won't.  Why is it so hard to understand that Jeff Long is one of the most respected Athletic Directors in the nation?   He isn't getting fired no matter how bad you want him to.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Poker_hog

Wow.  That's was way harsher than anything I've ever read on here.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jgphillips3

Lanny

Arkansas should not be paying 12 million to buy out coaches.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

TrueBlue

How Matt Rhule isn't higher on this list amazes me. He has lost to San Antonio and Liberty. I guess when you can't recruit rapists, it really affects your team.

Redhogs

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 11, 2017, 07:09:52 am
No we won't.  Why is it so hard to understand that Jeff Long is one of the most respected Athletic Directors in the nation?   He isn't getting fired no matter how bad you want him to.
Sounds like you are enjoying the state of things...enjoy...your idiot AD has assured us they will continue.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgon

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 11, 2017, 07:09:52 am

Respected by whom, for what?  He hired JL Smith.  He hired Jimmy Dykes.  And he has saddled his school with an absolutely ridiculous buyout.  Why is he respected? 

Redhogs

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 11, 2017, 07:34:02 am
Wow.  That's was way harsher than anything I've ever read on here.
And they are exactly right.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hoggiedawg

Very harsh.  But much of it is very true.

The real Hogules

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 07:52:28 am
Respected by whom, for what?  He hired JL Smith.  He hired Jimmy Dykes.  And he has saddled his school with an absolutely ridiculous buyout.  Why is he respected? 
I think that he meant that Jeff Long is respected by "coaches". I mean what coach in his right mind isn't going to like an A.D. that will saddle his university with a 12 MILLION dollar buyout for the lucky coach who wins the lottery and gets to work for J.L.???

Wow, as has been said, Jeff Long took it on the chin even worse than Bielema!

From that article -

You do the Damn math Arkansas fans and please if you can come up with a legitimate reason why Bret Bielema has a $15.4 million dollar buyout please let us know because we cannot think of one Damn reason he has such a contract at Arkansas....not counting of course that Jeff Long is a...

Damn Moron

...which is actually the only Damn thing that makes any Damn sense!

We have some news for Jeff Long...if Arkansas loses to Texas A&M on Saturday in Dallas....your ass may just get fired before your ass gets back to Fayetteville Son!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

NaturalStateReb

The people who write for Coaches Hot Seat must do it in crayon first.  Good points?  Sometimes.  Made by a guy with a sixth grade education?  Probably.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jkstock04

Man that was brutal...someone needs to let the SDS people know that Bielemas 1st year here doesn't count. Anyone who states otherwise simply has an agenda. That's what we have been told over and over anyways.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pigsknuckles

Am willing to trade #3 for #7. Yeah, that's pi$$ing on a spark plug, but desperation is setting in.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 07:52:28 am

There is something to this.  Jeff Long has made Arkansas a lot of money, true, but lots of ADs make their respective schools lots of money.  It's not like he's made the programs winners, or that he's done a great job of picking head coaches.  The national love-in for Long is a little baffling.  Surely there's more to it than what the average fan can observe; you figure he didn't just miracle his way onto the playoff committee.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GoHogzzGo

I'm a big JL fan but the buyout is a bit ridiculous and really handcuffs his flexibility with moving offf CBB.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hawgon

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 11, 2017, 08:22:45 am
There is something to this.  Jeff Long has made Arkansas a lot of money, true, but lots of ADs make their respective schools lots of money.  It's not like he's made the programs winners, or that he's done a great job of picking head coaches.  The national love-in for Long is a little baffling.  Surely there's more to it than what the average fan can observe; you figure he didn't just miracle his way onto the playoff committee.

You ever know those people, and I'm sure you do because they are in every community, who are relatively unaccomplished in their field...oh, I don't mean that they are abject failures but they are nothing special, who make it a point to be on the board of every volunteer group and community organization?  They are in every board and every group and if you open up one of those local society rags, you'll see pics of them mugging it with all the local bigwigs at every function.

Those people are out there.  Normal people consider all that stuff a distraction from their real jobs but these dogooders campaign for them.  So, they are on all these committees and they know all these people.  And everyone speaks really well of them, while half of them don't even know exactly what they do in real life.  But everyone thinks that they are great.

Jeff Long is one of those type people.  If he wasn't an AD he would be selling insurance somewhere and running for the $5k a year ceremonial mayor's job because that is how he gets his jollies.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TrueBlue on September 11, 2017, 07:46:23 am
How Matt Rhule isn't higher on this list amazes me. He has lost to San Antonio and Liberty. I guess when you can't recruit rapists, it really affects your team.

There is no way he should be anywhere close to a hot seat at Baylor.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 08:30:37 am
You ever know those people, and I'm sure you do because they are in every community, who are relatively unaccomplished in their field...oh, I don't mean that they are abject failures but they are nothing special, who make it a point to be on the board of every volunteer group and community organization?  They are in every board and every group and if you open up one of those local society rags, you'll see pics of them mugging it with all the local bigwigs at every function.

Those people are out there.  Normal people consider all that stuff a distraction from their real jobs but these dogooders ampqign for them.  So, they are on all these committees and they know all these people.  And everyone speaks really well of them, while half of them don't even know exactly what they do in real life.  But everyone thinks that they are great.

Jeff Long is one of those type people.  If he wasn't an AD he would be selling insurance somewhere and running for the $5k a year ceremonial mayor's job because that is how he gets his jollies.

Ok, this is funny!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

lahawg1

The bad part about the blog, I really can't argue with any of it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on September 11, 2017, 08:29:39 am
I'm a big JL fan but the buyout is a bit ridiculous and really handcuffs his flexibility with moving offf CBB.

That's why you have to clean house.  From top to bottom.

Razor1997

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 11, 2017, 08:21:02 am
Man that was brutal...someone needs to let the SDS people know that Bielemas 1st year here doesn't count. Anyone who states otherwise simply has an agenda. That's what we have been told over and over anyways.

I agree that the first year doesn't count.  We're still 10-14 in the SEC in years 2-5 and have regressed since Year 3, Bielema's most successful year here.  Now in Year 5, Bielema has his own guys out there.  In Year 3, he was playing another coach's seniors.

JaketheSnake

hawgon

DeltaBoy

He keeps us in our place since we are just Little ole backward Arkansas . That the reason the Nation loves him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Razor1997 on September 11, 2017, 08:38:39 am
I agree that the first year doesn't count.  We're still 10-14 in the SEC in years 2-5 and have regressed since Year 3, Bielema's most successful year here.  Now in Year 5, Bielema has his own guys out there.  In Year 3, he was playing another coach's seniors.

Pretty safe to say he was being facetious.  All of his years here count.  ...unfortunately.

go hogues

He's gotten all the mileage based on his firing of Petrino.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hawgon

When you get down to it, what has Jeff Long done that any other AD at an SEC school hasn't done? Everyone has scads of money.  Everyone has new facilities and/or are in the process of expansion/ renovation.  And we haven't changed our historical place in the SEC pecking order so you can't even claim that he is overachieving based on that.

He fired that mean old Bobby Petrino.  That's it.

hawganatic

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 11, 2017, 08:20:23 am
The people who write for Coaches Hot Seat must do it in crayon first.  Good points?  Sometimes.  Made by a guy with a sixth grade education?  Probably.

I was thinking the same.  They may or may not have good content.  It's just hard to tell because their blog is pretty much one run-on sentence from beginning to end...

hoghearted

Quote from: go hogues on September 11, 2017, 08:48:02 am
He's gotten all the mileage based on his firing of Petrino.

He's well-regarded because the perception is that even though it cost us as a program (and it did, mightily), he fired a winning coach, who had brought the team some great exposure based on the team's performance. Long was brilliant in how he played the PR angle on Petrino's firing. (leaving out any opinion on whether it was justified.) If there's one thing you can say about Long, it's that he's a brilliant marketer. He really used it to his advantage. Too bad the Razorback football team didn't get much out of it.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hawgon

Quote from: hoghearted on September 11, 2017, 09:01:06 am
He's well-regarded because the perception is that even though it cost us as a program (and it did, mightily), he fired a winning coach, who had brought the team some great exposure based on the team's performance. Long was brilliant in how he played the PR angle on Petrino's firing. (leaving out any opinion on whether it was justified.) If there's one thing you can say about Long, it's that he's a brilliant marketer. He really used it to his advantage. Too bad the Razorback football team didn't get much out of it.

Hence my evaluation of him in this thread.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hoghearted on September 11, 2017, 09:01:06 am

...and this is why the house cleaning has to start at the top.

hawganatic

Quote from: Lanny on September 11, 2017, 07:44:09 am

No school should be paying 12 million to buy out coaches. 

EastexHawg

The national love-in for Long is a little baffling. 

No, it's not  baffling.  Don't you wish David Shula was still coaching at Alabama instead of Nick Saban?  If so, is it because you think Shula was doing such a great job or because you'd rather win than get your ass kicked?  Our opponents love the job our AD is doing.  They wouldn't want him at their schools, but they love having him at Arkansas.

I didn't write the part about Long...but I wish I had.

ND

If this was Facebook, I would have liked this post, unliked it just to like it again, and then commented on it, saying that I liked it.

N

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 06:51:07 am
brutal.  And actually more for Jeff Long than Bielema.

This buyout deal is going to bring along down.  If he has a chance to move on, he needs to.  People are going to ask why we arent firing Bielema pretty soon and once the rest of the country figures it out, Long will be a laughing stock in the AD world.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/

This is not even close to accurate

HoggieStyle

The lion cares nothing for the opinions of the sheep.

AirWarren

Correct.

We are a poor sad state. Football buyouts. Much less 12 mil$ ones are ignorant.

oldhog63

Quote from: gchamblee on September 11, 2017, 09:41:53 am
This is not even close to accurate
Which parts? The abysmal record? The ridiculous buyout?

razorcash2

+2

hawgon

The buyout is doing exactly what it was designed to do, make it very difficult to fire Bielema.  The question is why was that an object?  If a coach and an AD are confident, you expect to be winning enough that firing won't be necessary.  It wasn't mutual, so it wasn't about locking up Bielema.

So why was it done?  It is pretty clear that the only reason it was so high was to protect Bielema and thus, Long from continued backlash over the whole Petrino mess.  It was about Long getting his way and securing HIS GUY at Arkansas.

Long will be moving along shortly and someone else will be left to clean up this mess.  You can count on it.

Pecos Hog

"Way Damn Below Average Folks!"

Nailed it.

#1Fan

If we lose to A&M, something will need to be soon before recruiting is affected.  Who's going to commit to a HC who may not be here by the time they get to campus.

hogcard1964

ESPN just updated their SEC standings this morning and it's pretty awful:

SEC West
-----------
Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
LSU 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 9-3 (6-2)
Mississippi State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Texas A&M 4-8 (1-7)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

SEC East
----------
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
South Carolina 9-3 (6-2)
Florida 6-5 (5-3)
Tennessee 8-4 (4-4)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (2-6)
Kentucky 5-7 (2-6)
Missouri 4-8 (0-8)

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 11, 2017, 08:20:23 am

Yeah, we aren't firing anyone this year. I'm sorry that upsets some so much, my guess is they need to run for Gov, win, and win again so you can appoint 8 Trustees, because they aren't firing anyone as it stands today.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 11, 2017, 10:20:18 am
ESPN just updated their SEC standings this morning and it's pretty awful:

SEC West
-----------
Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
LSU 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 9-3 (6-2)
Mississippi State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Texas A&M 4-8 (1-7)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

SEC East
----------
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
South Carolina 9-3 (6-2)
Florida 6-5 (5-3)
Tennessee 8-4 (4-4)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (2-6)
Kentucky 5-7 (2-6)
Missouri 4-8 (0-8)

Hmmm, Missouri 0-8?   So they predict our 1 SEC win this season to be against Missou.   That must mean that they feel that A&M beats us.    From what I've seen, I'd have to agree.   

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 10:06:16 am
The buyout is doing exactly what it was designed to do, make it very difficult to fire Bielema.  The question is why was that an object?  If a coach and an AD are confident, you expect to be winning enough that firing won't be necessary.  It wasn't mutual, so it wasn't about locking up Bielema.

So why was it done?  It is pretty clear that the only reason it was so high was to protect Bielema and thus, Long from continued backlash over the whole Petrino mess.  It was about Long getting his way and securing HIS GUY at Arkansas.

Long will be moving along shortly and someone else will be left to clean up this mess.  You can count on it.

Define shortly, if you mean 5 years, a good possibility. If you mean within a year, extremely doubtful.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on September 11, 2017, 10:24:54 am
Define shortly, if you mean 5 years, a good possibility. If you mean within a year, extremely doubtful.

Within the next year...before the bill comes due for this debacle.