Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall says FAMU may be the last ever game in Little Rock? Buyout Yes or No

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, August 27, 2017, 12:45:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 09:51:35 am
Not sure there's a difference, but yes, not my point.  If you need me to spell it out for you, the point is that some people may think that money is not always all that matters in every decision.  Even if it is, there are ways around it in this hypothetical.

To be clear, I'm not an advocate for Arkansas vs. ASU in WMS.  That was someone else's suggestion.  From an objective viewpoint, it would generate a tremendous amount of interest.  What prompted me to reply was your bottom-line approach to the question of the location for the game.  Not picking on you, just find that approach to every decision in this context interesting.

You did see the editorial cartoon in the ADG this morning?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on August 31, 2017, 09:53:51 am
You did see the editorial cartoon in the ADG this morning?

Nope.  I just get online.  Can you post a link? 

I did read Nate Olsen's very good article on WMS. He hit the high points on both sides in a very meaningful way.  Much better than Wally's article.  I generally like Wally but thought his tone and not so subtle digs were inappropriate.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 09:43:06 am
Yep, but without the illusion that the players are playing for the love of the game and school and state pride, teams wouldn't be able to sell up to 100,000 seats for a meaningless game.  Would 150,000 fans buy tickets at Bristol to see the Titans play the Redskins?  No, but they will to see Tennessee play Virginia Tech.  And they'll pay whatever they have to pay for a ticket and hotel room. 

How many empty seats will there be in Tuscaloosa for an 8-3 Auburn vs. a 9-2 Alabama, when LSU has already clinched the West? How many empty seats will there be in Jerry's World once the Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs? 

What separates college football from the NFL, other than talent (where there is no comparison)?  Pride? Tradition? Amateurism?  Is the difference real or an illusion?  If it's an illusion, how long can the illusion be sustained?  Does anyone care?
Good thoughts. Definitely an illusion now. If pay of some form other than free academics comes to college football, we will know the illusion is real.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 09:59:37 am
Nope.  I just get online.  Can you post a link? 

I did read Nate Olsen's very good article on WMS. He hit the high points on both sides in a very meaningful way.  Much better than Wally's article.  I generally like Wally but thought his tone and not so subtle digs were inappropriate.

It doesn't appear on Deering's website, it's a picture of Long and his secretary sitting at a desk and she says, "Mr. Long, I'm sure it won't be easy deciding whether to buy out of our contract with War Memorial Stadium." He replies, "Right. How much did you say we have in petty cash, again?"

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on August 31, 2017, 10:54:28 am
It doesn't appear on Deering's website, it's a picture of Long and his secretary sitting at a desk and she says, "Mr. Long, I'm sure it won't be easy deciding whether to buy out of our contract with War Memorial Stadium." He replies, "Right. How much did you say we have in petty cash, again?"

Hah!!!  The reference to petty cash shows just how much the difference between one more Little Rock game and a buyout really means.  To buy the contract out now is pennies-wise and pounds foolish, in my opinion.  I suspect some research has already gone into the decision, arm-chair and otherwise.

My prediction is that Arkansas will fulfill the agreement and that Missouri will be the opponent.  There are many advantages here.  First is the student problem that drove the decision to play LSU in Little Rock during Thanksgiving week.  Second is the national media interest in closing out the history of WMS in a rivalry game.  The national media and older college football fans in general have enough memory of what WMS means in the scheme of things to make it a good story line.  It will create an opportunity to pay homage to Keith Jackson, Chris Schenkle, legendary coach turned AD/football analyst Frank Broyles, Darrel Royal, and others.  Networks love sappy, tradition-laced stories during the holidays.  The story itself will increase the national television audience, and the celebration and last game status will likely guarantee a sell-out even if the two teams have little to play for other than bowl position.  Little Rock also makes it harder for Missouri fans and might increase the sense of rivalry just a bit.   

Regardless of the opponent, Vandy or Missouri (neither Alabama nor LSU make much sense), one last game and the appropriate celebration will buy far more than a million dollars worth of goodwill. 

PonderinHog

I kinda like the idea of closing it out with LSU, for old times' sake.  Miracle on Markham III has a nice ring to it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2017, 11:27:47 am
I kinda like the idea of closing it out with LSU, for old times' sake.  Miracle on Markham III has a nice ring to it.

Me, too.  Wish it were still the Thanksgiving game.  But at least we make those bastages drive to Fayetteville.

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 11:36:12 am
Me, too.  Wish it were still the Thanksgiving game.  But at least we make those bastages drive to Fayetteville.
I don't think it will be Mizzou - not next year anyway.   ;)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 31, 2017, 09:05:37 am
There may be a handful of those people who say they would no longer support the U of A if the Hogs no longer play at WMS but no more than that. Hog fans have known for years that the time would come when WMS would no longer host Hog games so I don't see it as an issue and I don't believe the U of A will lose any support over it. Yes, losing Hog games in WMS smarts a bit to some but by and large they understand why it is happening and why it makes sense.

Agree but they are the loudest, most boisterous, emotional and irrational.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 09:43:06 am
Yep, but without the illusion that the players are playing for the love of the game and school and state pride, teams wouldn't be able to sell up to 100,000 seats for a meaningless game. Would 150,000 fans buy tickets at Bristol to see the Titans play the Redskins?  No, but they will to see Tennessee play Virginia Tech.  And they'll pay whatever they have to pay for a ticket and hotel room. 

How many empty seats will there be in Tuscaloosa for an 8-3 Auburn vs. a 9-2 Alabama, when LSU has already clinched the West? How many empty seats will there be in Jerry's World once the Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs? 

What separates college football from the NFL, other than talent (where there is no comparison)?  Pride? Tradition? Amateurism?  Is the difference real or an illusion?  If it's an illusion, how long can the illusion be sustained?  Does anyone care?

It may be an illusion to some people but not to ALL the players. Some people think that all 100% of college football players believe they will go to the pros and make big bucks. That is true for only some of them and the players know it. They also know that even IF they make it to the pros not everyone makes the big money and that the careers there are short-lived usually. Therefore a LOT of plyers are playing for their teammates, their school, their fanbases, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2017, 11:44:04 am
I don't think it will be Mizzou - not next year anyway.   ;)

Vandy?  Maybe renegotiate for OOC (I think that is counterproductive for PR)?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 31, 2017, 11:51:17 am
It may be an illusion to some people but not to ALL the players. Some people think that all 100% of college football players believe they will go to the pros and make big bucks. That is true for only some of them and the players know it. They also know that even IF they make it to the pros not everyone makes the big money and that the careers there are short-lived usually. Therefore a LOT of plyers are playing for their teammates, their school, their fanbases, etc.

I don't disagree, but what does that have to do with the reasons fans flock to college football games in bigger numbers more consistently (at the high P5 level)  than they do to NFL games?

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 12:06:22 pm

I believe Vandy is the game that is scheduled for WMS next season and if so, I don't see that changing. Heck, they may even lower the ticket prices to make sure they have a complete sellout to say good bye to WMS in style with a big celebration of what it's meant to Hogs football down through the years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 12:06:22 pm
I'd be okay with Mizzou, but it may be hard to convince them that WMS is their home field.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2017, 12:19:08 pm
I'd be okay with Mizzou, but it may be hard to convince them that WMS is their home field.

You mean they won't play us 3 consecutive years at home? Wusses...

bphi11ips

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 11:23:06 am
Hah!!!  The reference to petty cash shows just how much the difference between one more Little Rock game and a buyout really means.  To buy the contract out now is pennies-wise and pounds foolish, in my opinion.  I suspect some research has already gone into the decision, arm-chair and otherwise.

My prediction is that Arkansas will fulfill the agreement and that Missouri will be the opponent.  There are many advantages here.  First is the student problem that drove the decision to play LSU in Little Rock during Thanksgiving week.  Second is the national media interest in closing out the history of WMS in a rivalry game.  The national media and older college football fans in general have enough memory of what WMS means in the scheme of things to make it a good story line.  It will create an opportunity to pay homage to Keith Jackson, Chris Schenkle, legendary coach turned AD/football analyst Frank Broyles, Darrel Royal, and others.  Networks love sappy, tradition-laced stories during the holidays.  The story itself will increase the national television audience, and the celebration and last game status will likely guarantee a sell-out even if the two teams have little to play for other than bowl position.  Little Rock also makes it harder for Missouri fans and might increase the sense of rivalry just a bit.   

Regardless of the opponent, Vandy or Missouri (neither Alabama nor LSU make much sense), one last game and the appropriate celebration will buy far more than a million dollars worth of goodwill.
I do not know how any right-thinking person could have any other thought on this. I believe they will play Vandy next year at WMS and all of these fans who are flocking to this crap game because they think it is it the last game in WMS will have to do it all over again. I am not attending this game because I don't want it to be my last memory of WMS in case it is the last game there.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 31, 2017, 12:51:43 pm
I do not know how any right-thinking person could have any other thought on this. I believe they will play Vandy next year at WMS and all of these fans who are flocking to this crap game because they think it is it the last game in WMS will have to do it all over again. I am not attending this game because I don't want it to be my last memory of WMS in case it is the last game there.

That's the spirit!

geauxhawgs

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2017, 12:19:08 pm

I'm with ya.

Note: Their not our rival (or really even close to being one). A LONG list of teams in front of them.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

humphrey

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 11:23:06 am
There are many advantages here.  First is the student problem that drove the decision to play LSU in Little Rock during Thanksgiving week.  Second is the national media interest in closing out the history of WMS in a rivalry game.  The national media and older college football fans in general have enough memory of what WMS means in the scheme of things to make it a good story line.  It will create an opportunity to pay homage to Keith Jackson, Chris Schenkle, legendary coach turned AD/football analyst Frank Broyles, Darrel Royal, and others.  Networks love sappy, tradition-laced stories during the holidays.  The story itself will increase the national television audience, and the celebration and last game status will likely guarantee a sell-out even if the two teams have little to play for other than bowl position.  Little Rock also makes it harder for Missouri fans and might increase the sense of rivalry just a bit.   

I'm not sure the "student problem" is really much of a problem.  Each Thanksgiving weekend game played in Fayetteville has produced a larger turnout than each Thanksgiving weekend game in LR.

I'm also not so sure that the national media cares much about WMS.  They frequently label things wrong on their broadcasts.  They label WMS as being in Fayetteville and being part of the UA campus, or they'll say that DWRRS is in LR.  National audiences either think that UA is in LR already, or they don't even know that the Hogs play an off-campus game in their own state.

I think it will only be as special as the UA Athletic Dept wants it to be.  I think this is a tricky play here.  On one hand, you don't want to say 'goodbye' to your fans and make them think you're leaving.  The Hogs will still be there and will still be the biggest sports team in AR.  On the other hand, you don't want to leave without some type of acknowledgment.

bphi11ips

Quote from: humphrey on August 31, 2017, 04:53:19 pm
I'm not sure the "student problem" is really much of a problem.  Each Thanksgiving weekend game played in Fayetteville has produced a larger turnout than each Thanksgiving weekend game in LR.

I'm also not so sure that the national media cares much about WMS.  They frequently label things wrong on their broadcasts.  They label WMS as being in Fayetteville and being part of the UA campus, or they'll say that DWRRS is in LR.  National audiences either think that UA is in LR already, or they don't even know that the Hogs play an off-campus game in their own state.

I think it will only be as special as the UA Athletic Dept wants it to be.  I think this is a tricky play here.  On one hand, you don't want to say 'goodbye' to your fans and make them think you're leaving.  The Hogs will still be there and will still be the biggest sports team in AR.  On the other hand, you don't want to leave without some type of acknowledgment.

DWRRS seats 20,000 more fans than WMS, so of course it is likely to have more fans after Thanksgiving with or without students. But the fact that the students are gone has been cited in the past as a reason for LR games the weekend after Thanksgiving. Just a factor to consider.

The national media doesn't care about WMS. They will care about the last game to be played there. Just like they were for Alabama's last game at Legion Field or the Redskins last game at RFK. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember but there were a lot of big nationally televised games at WMS back in the day, and there are plenty of media members and fans who remember it.

Bogghawg

Pitiful turnout.  I have NEVER seen a home Hog game anywhere with so many empty seats.  Much less a season opener.  Buy Out!
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

toxichog

Times change.......at one time it was smart to play in Little Rock.  Not any more......same reason Alabama doesn't play in Birmingham anymore.....Ole Miss in Jackson anymore.....and on and on.  Big $ shortfall, and stadium is not up to SEC standards.  Add to that fans have not bought tickets to LR games for years now.  I am from Litle Rock, never lived in NWA.......games used to be really special here, but not anymore..........Times change.

SouthSide Johnny

Governor signs agency change for War Memorial Stadium
By Michael R. Wickline 
This article was published February 23, 2017 at 5:45 a.m.

Gov. Asa Hutchinson went to War Memorial Stadium on Wednesday to sign three bills that would reorganize state government, including legislation that merged the free-standing War Memorial Stadium Commission into the state Department of Parks and Tourism. Last nail and experienced manager quit shortly after.
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

BigHog396

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 06:37:49 pm
DWRRS seats 20,000 more fans than WMS, so of course it is likely to have more fans after Thanksgiving with or without students. But the fact that the students are gone has been cited in the past as a reason for LR games the weekend after Thanksgiving. Just a factor to consider.

The national media doesn't care about WMS. They will care about the last game to be played there. Just like they were for Alabama's last game at Legion Field or the Redskins last game at RFK. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember but there were a lot of big nationally televised games at WMS back in the day, and there are plenty of media members and fans who remember it.
The student attendance excuse was BS made up by the administration for attendance problems when we sucked in the '90's.  Students were hardly going to the games at all back then.  That had to be one of the most illogical excuses they could use.  They acted like student attendance would be better with the game being in LR, because students would be able to be there since they were home the holiday weekend... as if the entire campus of students was FROM LR.  Just ridiculous.

But to totally debunk that line of thought, just look at the attendance of our two Thanksgiving weekend games since they were moved to Fayetteville.  We were over 71,000 in both of those games, with one of them being at the end of the JLS mistake, and the other against Mizzou.

humphrey

I think the student excuse was something invented by message board fans.  The idea that students being out of class reduces attendance was disproven when more people showed up on campus vs off-campus.  Let's think about this a bit: we can play on-campus and get 65k-70k fans, but since classes aren't in session and we're afraid students won't show up, let's play off-campus and get 30k-40k.

Arkansas playing in WMS today is nothing like Alabama playing in Birmingham or the Washington Redskins playing in RFK.  The exposure is different and the tradition is different.  Things change over the years.  The days of splitting time between different locations and playing in older, poorer facilities is long gone.  A more appropriate comparison for today, on a national level, would be UCF's departure from the Citrus Bowl. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: humphrey on September 01, 2017, 09:12:45 am
I think the student excuse was something invented by message board fans.  The idea that students being out of class reduces attendance was disproven when more people showed up on campus vs off-campus.  Let's think about this a bit: we can play on-campus and get 65k-70k fans, but since classes aren't in session and we're afraid students won't show up, let's play off-campus and get 30k-40k.

Arkansas playing in WMS today is nothing like Alabama playing in Birmingham or the Washington Redskins playing in RFK.  The exposure is different and the tradition is different.  Things change over the years.  The days of splitting time between different locations and playing in older, poorer facilities is long gone.  A more appropriate comparison for today, on a national level, would be UCF's departure from the Citrus Bowl. 

Disengenuous numbers regarding WMS attendance for Thanksgiving weekend games and ridiculous analogy to UCF.  What you don't realize in your rush to condemn WMS is that you completely impugn the tradition of the Razorbacks football team.  Arkansas played 3 or 4 games a year at WMS for 30 years before UCF even established a football program and for 50 years before they became a member of the FBS.  The two programs aren't in the same universe where tradition is concerned.  Arkansas's relationship to WMS and Alabama's relationship to Legion Field are similar, as many proponents of no Little Rock games often point out.  The distance from Fayetteville to Little Rock and from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa are not so similar.  Neither are the circumstances.  Arkansas has no Auburn equivalent, and the Ozarks don't separate Tuscaloosa from the population center of Alabama.  But the tradition of the two venues and how they fit into their storied programs is similar.

Maybe you are too young to remember or appreciate this.  If not you are simply trolling.  If so congrats.  I bit only for those who might still read the Trash and don't know any better.

DLUXHOG

so you are now saying that NWA has more Razorback fans than Littler Rock and Central/Southern Arkansas?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bphi11ips

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 01, 2017, 01:40:26 pm
so you are now saying that NWA has more Razorback fans than Littler Rock and Central/Southern Arkansas?

Are you under the impression that only fans from NWA attend games in DWRRS? 

hoglady

If anyone caught Jeff Long being interviewed on pre-game - it seemed pretty obvious he plans on honoring the current contract and playing in LR next year. But the most interesting part to me is that he mentioned they had opened a Razorback Foundation office in Little Rock - to help with outreach to Central, Southern and Eastern Arkansas. And to also help with donations from those areas.
I wonder if they're seeing a trend down in donations?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on September 01, 2017, 03:13:26 pm
If anyone caught Jeff Long being interviewed on pre-game - it seemed pretty obvious he plans on honoring the current contract and playing in LR next year. But the most interesting part to me is that he mentioned they had opened a Razorback Foundation office in Little Rock - to help with outreach to Central, Southern and Eastern Arkansas. And to also help with donations from those areas.
I wonder if they're seeing a trend down in donations?

That opened over a year ago, it just makes it easier for those who prefer a "face to face" when talking about tickets, donations, parking, etc.....We had a $20M increase in donations in 2016 over 2015, I believe, probably tied to the early donations for the NEZ.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2017, 03:31:29 pm
That opened over a year ago, it just makes it easier for those who prefer a "face to face" when talking about tickets, donations, parking, etc.....We had a $20M increase in donations in 2016 over 2015, I believe, probably tied to the early donations for the NEZ.

I don't think the timing of opening the office or an increase overall was her real question.  And its not just Razorback Foundation donations that will concern Joe Steinmetz.

As you probably know, the Dem Gaz quoted Jeff Long today.  He chose his words carefully, but he would not have said "We certainly expect to complete the contract at the very least in 2018" if he didn't mean it. 

This is all going to work out the way it should.  There are too many loyal fans all over the state and elsewhere for it not to.  It's just a shame the transition had to generate so much animosity because it didn't need to be this way.  Sort of like the Nutt/Malzahn/Mustain drama, everybody is a little bit to blame.

majestic

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 01, 2017, 06:04:20 pm
Sort of like the Nutt/Malzahn/Mustain drama, everybody is a little bit to blame.
Mustain had no blame in that situation. Try again.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 01, 2017, 06:04:20 pm
I don't think the timing of opening the office or an increase overall was her real question.  And its not just Razorback Foundation donations that will concern Joe Steinmetz.

As you probably know, the Dem Gaz quoted Jeff Long today.  He chose his words carefully, but he would not have said "We certainly expect to complete the contract at the very least in 2018" if he didn't mean it. 

This is all going to work out the way it should.  There are too many loyal fans all over the state and elsewhere for it not to.  It's just a shame the transition had to generate so much animosity because it didn't need to be this way.  Sort of like the Nutt/Malzahn/Mustain drama, everybody is a little bit to blame.

Her question was why it opened, I told you why from my understanding. I then told you donations were up, again, throwing "shade" on her reasons. He said "certainly expect", not "definitely will". I suspect Vandy will end the current contract. I would not be surprised to see an occasional game in years where we would have 8 home games in Fayetteville. I think they will schedule some "money" neutral games when possible, and a non-conference game in LR when it works out that way.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2017, 12:08:34 pm
I don't disagree, but what does that have to do with the reasons fans flock to college football games in bigger numbers more consistently (at the high P5 level)  than they do to NFL games?

I believe it's relevant since I also believe a lot of fans know that a lot of college players are still playing for their teammates, fans, school and love of the game.

bphi11ips

Quote from: majestic on September 01, 2017, 06:11:56 pm
Mustain had no blame in that situation. Try again.

Yeah. I've said Mustain had no blame for years and still don't think he did, but the party line here is that he did.  I think central and south Arkansas deserve about as much blame as Mustain did, but that's not the party line here, either.

Never attempt to be gracious on Hogville.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2017, 06:51:40 pm
Her question was why it opened, I told you why from my understanding. I then told you donations were up, again, throwing "shade" on her reasons. He said "certainly expect", not "definitely will". I suspect Vandy will end the current contract. I would not be surprised to see an occasional game in years where we would have 8 home games in Fayetteville. I think they will schedule some "money" neutral games when possible, and a non-conference game in LR when it works out that way.

Keep hoping but book the King Air for the Vandy game.

In Little Rock.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 01, 2017, 11:09:44 pm
Keep hoping but book the King Air for the Vandy game.

In Little Rock.

You don't have to book what you own, lol, you just file a flight plan.

bphi11ips

Figure of speech. Thought you said it was your buddy's.  Do you fly it yourself?  That's a lot of plane.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 02, 2017, 09:40:38 pm
Figure of speech. Thought you said it was your buddy's.  Do you fly it yourself?  That's a lot of plane.

Nope, I don't fly it myself, but I can land it if necessary, haha.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 03, 2017, 08:20:14 am
Nope, I don't fly it myself, but I can land it if necessary, haha.

That's good. One of my clients has a small Cessna Citation.  I asked his pilot once if one of us could land the plane if he had a heart attack.  He said "Not a chance."

PonderinHog

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 04, 2017, 12:05:29 pm
Would you let me out first?

Sure, about 30,000 ft........I always plan to step off right before one hits the ground, drink in hand.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 04, 2017, 11:40:36 am
That's good. One of my clients has a small Cessna Citation.  I asked his pilot once if one of us could land the plane if he had a heart attack.  He said "Not a chance."

Yeah, I got my license back in the early 80's after college. I'm more a 172 type guy, but I could land it. I let it go in the early 90's once the kids were born.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ND

This is a hard subject to talk about.  It really is.  There isn't a Razorback football game day that goes by that I don't find myself, at some point, staring off into nothingness and having a flashback to my childhood, a childhood in which Razorback games at War Memorial were a big part. 

Wearing my itchy red woolen sweater.  The smell of the stadium.  The hot chocolate on those chilly game nights.  The cartoon caricatures of a hog abusing various Southwest Conference opponents lining the walls of the Letterman's Club.  The old red shag carpet, red leather couches, wood paneled walls.  Watching the players come out from the locker room while sitting on the stairs by the backdoor eating a hot dog.  Going out on the field and playing catch with the players at Red and White games.  The tingling I'd get when they ran out to the fight song.  Being in the 5th and 6th grade at the time, I was playing football at the YMCA but while at War Memorial, I was a famous Razorback wide receiver, in my mind.   

Later in high school, I played there several times and I dreaded it, knowing I'd go home on Friday night covered in turf burns and bruises because it was like playing on concrete, but at the end of the day, I'd have a smile on my face, because it was War Memorial Stadium.  Those days are pretty much gone.  They do live on briefly in my daydreams, when I happen to be driving by the place.  But they're just about gone. 

Initially, when this LR vs NWA battle heated up, I was strongly in the LR camp.  I lived here.  I still went to games at War Memorial when I could.  It was a direct link to my childhood, and I wanted other children to experience what I did.  I knew people who worked there.  I had a history there.  Screw those elitist a-holes in NWA.  I thought, "We'll show them.  They haven't seen true fans yet.  Let them try and take it away!"  The slowly diminishing games every season was discouraging, but I always assumed we'd have a couple.  I mean, we always did.

I don't remember what game it was, but the week leading up to it, everyone here locally was going on and on about tailgating.  I thought it was a little strange, but I didn't think much about it, really.  I mean, it's just tailgating.  Now, I've tailgated before, but it was generally short and in a limited capacity over in the east parking lot.  I'd eat, socialize, have a beer or two, and then go in and watch the game, then afterwords, I'd go say hello to some folks I saw during the game while the traffic cleared out and then I'd walk across the field to the car via the east gates and head home.  But this particular time was different.  This time I had got a hold of a south-west side parking pass, up by the gates.

I remember being slightly concerned about the attendance during the game, and when I left, I looked out over the golf course and saw literally thousands of people tailgating.  Thousands.  I was shocked.  It was then I realized that we, as in central Arkansas, weren't doing much to strengthen our position.  For a week following the game, partying and the tailgating the previous Saturday night was all people talked about.  Nothing about the actual game.  Only a small minority of folks talked about the actual football game, mostly expressing their agitation at getting nothing but cupcakes, the inevitable bad weather and the cost of the tickets for watching a sub-par performance.  All of which are valid complaints.

I've seen all the arguments regarding games at War Memorial, from both sides.  Some I agree with, some I don't.  Realistically, it makes sense to have one home field, on campus.  It makes sense in many ways.  On the other hand, the university administration has made their opinion of us fairly clear for some time now.  This last game was pretty clear evidence of that.  And that bothers me too.  So, yeah.  I'm torn. 

I've come to the painful realization that games at War Memorial have become a luxury, a courtesy for us.  I just wish the University, and the thousands of central Arkansas folks who only go to the games to drink beer on a golf course did too.

N

DLUXHOG

Breaking news....   WMS just said they were canceling remainder of the contract with the Hogs...  you heard it here first...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)