Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog hunting in NWA..

Started by Rockpig5, July 14, 2017, 11:46:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig5

I was told there were some Feral Hogs around Winslow and the surrounding area.  Anyone know if that's true, or other places in NWA that has them?

PonderinHog

There was one feral hog that posted on here, but I think a shyster lawyer finally killed him.  I think his name is Mulberry Squeezins.

Hog_Swanson

One of my buddies got one from Weddington last year.  He was out coon hunting when he came across it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

str8volfan

I know a guy from Fayetteville that hog hunts up there all the time. He said there were several up there.

oldman1015

Quote from: str8volfan on July 29, 2017, 10:05:15 pm
I know a guy from Fayetteville that hog hunts up there all the time. He said there were several up there.
If there are several now there will be many more in a couple of years.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

twistitup

They are in NWA ....not in large numbers but I saw 5 feral hogs in Madison Co. last year - not the typical wild hogs we see in TX, these were crossbred domesticated hogs that had gone wild. Sow and with 4 piglets.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on July 31, 2017, 11:08:00 am
They are in NWA ....not in large numbers but I saw 5 feral hogs in Madison Co. last year - not the typical wild hogs we see in TX, these were crossbred domesticated hogs that had gone wild. Sow and with 4 piglets.

You should have shot them all.  Those damn things can be sexually mature at 6 months.  Gestation is 114 days so a sow can have 2 liters per year, having between 1 - 12.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

twistitup

Quote from: Wayne Watson on July 31, 2017, 05:10:07 pm
You should have shot them all.  Those damn things can be sexually mature at 6 months.  Gestation is 114 days so a sow can have 2 liters per year, having between 1 - 12.

I shot 2 young ones and smoked them - good eatin' before they get too old. I don't mind having a little free pork running around...

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on July 31, 2017, 05:37:50 pm
I shot 2 young ones and smoked them - good eatin' before they get too old. I don't mind having a little free pork running around...

As a land owner, I do.  They will eat up all deer food such as acorns, corn at a deer feeder and root up a food plot.  When the deer have nothing to eat...deer leave.  They will also tear up turkey and quail nest.
We don't rent pigs

husker71

Guy up by Berryville got 8 in a couple of days.  He has a trap for them.  Good eating if you get them young BUT once they get big meat is super tough and not good tasting.

twistitup

Quote from: Wayne Watson on July 31, 2017, 05:47:53 pm
As a land owner, I do.  They will eat up all deer food such as acorns, corn at a deer feeder and root up a food plot.  When the deer have nothing to eat...deer leave.  They will also tear up turkey and quail nest.

We are a small state with alot of hunters, not Texas....we will  be able to control them through hunting and trapping. Texas has 10,000 acre ranches that have major issues, we probably don't have a 10,000 acre ranch in the entire state. In NE Texas where I am originally from, our hog issues are minimal because we don't have many large ranches ( just stretches of river bottoms) and people actively hunt / trap hogs for food and sport.

Still lots of deer and plenty of hogs. Don't be scared, just eat lots of pork.

tophawg19

too many people stocking them . they can destroy a young pine tree farm in a hurry . South Ark is loaded
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

oldman1015

Quote from: twistitup on July 31, 2017, 07:46:23 pm
We are a small state with alot of hunters, not Texas....we will  be able to control them through hunting and trapping. Texas has 10,000 acre ranches that have major issues, we probably don't have a 10,000 acre ranch in the entire state. In NE Texas where I am originally from, our hog issues are minimal because we don't have many large ranches ( just stretches of river bottoms) and people actively hunt / trap hogs for food and sport.

Still lots of deer and plenty of hogs. Don't be scared, just eat lots of pork.
Already way out of control in South Arkansas.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: oldman1015 on August 01, 2017, 03:51:01 pm

Totally agree. Got 160 acres in Union County and the hogs are everywhere.
We don't rent pigs

twistitup

oldman1015

Quote from: twistitup on August 02, 2017, 06:46:54 am
EaT moRe PorK

So many killed down here it's hard to give them away. No one wants to fool with them after one or two.

twistitup

Quote from: oldman1015 on August 02, 2017, 01:10:19 pm
So many killed down here it's hard to give them away. No one wants to fool with them after one or two.

Get creative...have another huge political dinner like the coon supper - but do a wild hog dinner. Have hundreds of them killed by locals, set up a carnival atmosphere....smoke whole hogs, take donations, let political type gather- put it in the news, watch it grow!

Every year the event would grow, more hogs would be needed, less hogs in wild.

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 02, 2017, 02:37:29 pm

Get creative...have another huge political dinner like the coon supper - but do a wild hog dinner. Have hundreds of them killed by locals, set up a carnival atmosphere....smoke whole hogs, take donations, let political type gather- put it in the news, watch it grow!

Like a rattlesnake roundup, only different.

twistitup

woodrow hog call

This is the official take on hogs from the state; all well and good where they are actively trying to trap them but, in places where nobody is trapping, they need to be kilt off.

"The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission recognizes large-scale trapping as the most efficient and economical means currently available to reduce feral hog populations.

Sport hunting of feral hogs has been more hindrance to hog removal than benefit. Illegal relocation of hogs for hunting purposes has spread the problem to new areas. The shooting of individual hogs also thwarts large-scale trapping efforts by agencies because increased disturbance makes it nearly impossible to catch the whole sounder, or family group, at once."
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on August 02, 2017, 02:37:29 pm

I like whole hog cooked.  We put an apple in their mouth and cherry in their ass.  It's always a fight over who gets the cherry.
We don't rent pigs

DLUXHOG

East Texass I hear too.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

str8volfan

last year I caught 31 in a trap less than 100 yards behind my house. I havent baited it this year due to me recovering from a bad auto accident. Im gonna bait it back in a few weeks. I hate those destructive bastards with a passion. Word is that the AGFC poisoned a bunch of hogs down here, I have friends that were over run by hogs that barely have any hog signs anymore. They didnt just disappear into thin air...

twistitup

Nobody in the damn country should be hungry with this much pork running wild.....honestly, food insecurity and hunger shouldn't be an issue. The amount of wild game and food tossed by grocery stores should cover it.

DOGALUM

I have yet to see one on or around our place in Madison county.  No sign of them either.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Piney Woods Rooter

Lots of them in the Eureka Springs Berryville area

theFlyingHog

I'm down around Houston working and just had about 15 sneak up on me. Have some deep water between them and me but I had Sam Colt out right quick, but they ran

johnny cash

Quote from: Rockpig5 on July 14, 2017, 11:46:19 pm
I was told there were some Feral Hogs around Winslow and the surrounding area.  Anyone know if that's true, or other places in NWA that has them?
all over the place in Washington county. North Crawford too.

hawg1221

My brother and I live in Springdale. We would love to go on a local hog hunt at one of these locations where the owners are overrun by these hogs. That's one animal we've never hunted.

Pig Power

Quote from: twistitup on July 31, 2017, 05:37:50 pm
Call the little ones "snack" hogs.. They are good eating

Bigfoot

Have been for at least 25 years.

HogginIT

Running all over our place in Madison County. Was getting anywhere from 7-15 in a picture at a time on the trail cam last year.
Just wait until next Year!© Official slogan of Razorback football.

CPO Hog

(Nevada County) I got about 2 dozen in one photo at my corn feeder, about 200 yards behind my brothers house. They ranged from huge to snack size. They are only showing up at night.

They move a lot. My place will be over run one year, and not see any sign for the next 2 or 3 years.

A few years ago I was walking to my deer stand before daylight with my muzzle loader. I had my light on the ground so I could choose my step (not make noise or trip) when I heard a low grunting type sound. I stopped and shined out around me, and I was in a herd of hogs, they were bedded down and didn't notice me. There was a deep bank creek about 40 yards behind me with a 4-wheeler bridge I had just crossed. I tip toed about half way back, then lost composure and ran like he11 across the bridge and to another stand in case they came after me. They didn't. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: CPO Hog on October 18, 2017, 12:32:48 pm
(Nevada County) I got about 2 dozen in one photo at my corn feeder, about 200 yards behind my brothers house. They ranged from huge to snack size. They are only showing up at night.

They move a lot. My place will be over run one year, and not see any sign for the next 2 or 3 years.

A few years ago I was walking to my deer stand before daylight with my muzzle loader. I had my light on the ground so I could choose my step (not make noise or trip) when I heard a low grunting type sound. I stopped and shined out around me, and I was in a herd of hogs, they were bedded down and didn't notice me. There was a deep bank creek about 40 yards behind me with a 4-wheeler bridge I had just crossed. I tip toed about half way back, then lost composure and ran like he11 across the bridge and to another stand in case they came after me. They didn't.
Couple months ago I was working in Texas, standing by the truck smoking in the middle of the night, suddenly surrounded by hogs. Spent twenty minutes standing in the bed of the truck with Smith in my hand