Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone ask yourself this question:

Started by hogsanity, July 05, 2006, 10:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 08, 2006, 02:55:24 pm
Gang problems in North Tulsa did not keep BTWashington from turning out Michael Tate and Felix Jones in football and Kevin Carnby (?) in baseball for UA. TSST did give Okie State Prentice Elliott who was a part of Mike Gundy's purge, and he is a lose cannon. BTW turns out tons of D1 ballplayers in numerous sports. Heart of North Tulsa.

East Central in Tulsa? Right in the heart of Tulsa's Barrio? No problem turning out 2 D1 players who signed with Iowa State last year. They have another one who camped at UA earlier this summer. Maybe the best CB in OK this year.

Uh, I don't think Dallas Carter is in the middle of the Metroplex's designated "Kum-Bah-Yah" zone. It didn't keep us from signing two players last February.

Gang problems in LR? Puh-lease.

That may all be true,  but you fail to realize that there was a particularly nasty gang "cloud" over Little Rock that conspired with the NCAA "cloud" to form an anti-recruiting "Super Cell" over central Arkansas and thus deprive Dale of the tools he needed to employ the fullness of his coaching genius.  ;)

When will the rest of you people get it?  The results of the football program ARE NOT Dales fault!   :P
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 08, 2006, 03:03:14 pm
Gang problems in North Tulsa did not keep BTWashington from turning out Michael Tate and Felix Jones in football and Kevin Carnby (?) in baseball for UA. TSST did give Okie State Prentice Elliott who was a part of Mike Gundy's purge, and he is a lose cannon. BTW turns out tons of D1 ballplayers in numerous sports. Heart of North Tulsa.

East Central in Tulsa? Right in the heart of Tulsa's Barrio? No problem turning out 2 D1 players who signed with Iowa State last year. They have another one who camped at UA earlier this summer. Maybe the best CB in OK this year.

Uh, I don't think Dallas Carter is in the middle of the Metroplex's designated "Kum-Bah-Yah" zone. It didn't keep us from signing two players last February.

That may all be true,  but you fail to realize that there was a particularly nasty gang "cloud" over Little Rock that conspired with the NCAA "cloud" to form an anti-recruiting "Super Cell" over central Arkansas and thus deprive Dale of the tools he needed to employ the fullness of his coaching genius.  ;)

When will the rest of you people get it?  The results of the football program ARE NOT Dales fault!   :P

A "Super Cell"

Oh good god, i think i just crapped my pants laughing at that.

wrightobe

July 08, 2006, 03:10:20 pm #152 Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 03:15:54 pm by wrightobe

Well, if we had gotten those kind of recruits out of Little Rock, then it would have helped the program.  We did not get any for several years.

BTW, Tulsa is in Oklahoma, home state to OU, OSU, Tulsa.

Little Rock, and the Central Arkansas area is in Arkansas.

I bet the majority of the good players in Oklahoma go to the universities in Oklahoma, while the majority of the good players in Arkansas high schools, go to Arkansas.

Every great player wants to stay home if possible, then if can not due to recruiting limitations, looks for the next best choice, which is usually a high  profile school such as Notre Dame, Tennesse, etc.

I am speaking in general terms, as there are always exceptions to the general rule.

I sure do miss TulsaHog, as the ones posting from the Tulsa area now, are sure not fun to me, becoming fast,the Oklahoma "King of the Insults".!!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 03:10:20 pm

Well, if we had gotten those kind of recruits out of Little Rock, then it would have helped the program.  We did not get any for several years.

I bet the majority of the good players in Oklahoma go to the universities in Oklahoma, while the majority of the good players in Arkansas high schools, go to Arkansas.

Every great player wants to stay home if possible, then if can not due to recruiting limitations, looks for the next best choice, which is usually a high  profile school such as Notre Dame, Tennesse, etc.

I am speaking in general terms, as there are always exceptions to the general rule.

I sure do miss TulsaHog, as the ones posting from the Tulsa area now, are sure not fun to me, becoming fast,the Oklahoma "King of the Insults".!!

Lol we have been posting just as long as he has, and please tell me how any of us have INSULTED YOU!!!!  You want to make accusations on this site about the people who voluteer here, then freaking BACK IT UP.  Show me where i insulted YOU.

Razorback_Z71

Actually, I think Fayetteville is closer to Tulsa than Norman or Stillwater.

wrightobe

Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on July 08, 2006, 04:41:49 pm

Actually, I think Fayetteville is closer to Tulsa than Norman or Stillwater.
Tulsa has good high school athletlic programs, and we have gotten some great recruits in basketball and football from there, such as a Lee Maybery, but it is still in Oklahoma, so the Oklahoma schools are going to get the top recruits the majority of the time.

Yep, I am glad we have Felix Jones, and he is going to do some great things on the football field, and he, of course, is a Tulsa HS product.

ClubChubby

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 08, 2006, 03:03:14 pm

When will the rest of you people get it?  The results of the football program ARE NOT Dales fault!   :P

I think albert has a great point! The won/loss record is NOT nutty's fault. He cashes the checks, but he's NOT responsible.
It's now time for all huggers to stand up and agree.
Sarcasm so thick you couldn't cut it with a chainsaw.

wrightobe

July 08, 2006, 05:40:12 pm #157 Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 07:03:06 pm by wrightobe
 But when Central Arkansas and especially Little Rock started having gang problems, and showing up at the high school football games, especially the cross town rival games, and started fights, rioting, and other kind of problems, the attendance for the games dropped significantly, there was also a severe drop of players to play football, and as a result for several years the Razorbacks did not have any recruits from the Little Rock, Central Arkansas area.
[/quote]
I have seen some amazing stuff in my time here.  But this takes the cake. 

Its gangs fault now for the U of A having problems?

Holy fricking crap.  You gotta be kidding me.

I believe the players believe they will truly win, and that is one of the intangibles that team must have to be a winner, and Houston Nutt has them believing they can and will win.
[/quote]

Yep he did that 9 times in two years. 

Glad you believe this, cause counting you, that makes one.

The rest of us live in a place we like to refer to as reality where there are rules and accountability. 

Lol we have been posting just as long as he has, and please tell me how any of us have INSULTED YOU!!!!  You want to make accusations on this site about the people who voluteer here, then freaking BACK IT UP.  Show me where i insulted YOU.
[/quote
See above post quotes, but the 'insults" do not matter, as your in the running as the "man of the year" with the darksiders".

I realize I can leave this board if I can not take it.

Pile On!!

Oklahawg

Wrightobe, let's be clear on something. The argument went something like this:

1. UA's success is tethered to in-state recruiting.
2. When LR is down UA is down.
3. LR was down due to gang problems.

I then countered that:
1. Tulsa has had serious gang problems recently, including activity by a prominent Okie State recruit, Prentiss Elliott.
2. Tulsa recruiting is not bothered by this (and I provided some anecdotal evidence of Tulsa players from the "problem" regions of town that went to UA...obviously thinking that anyone reading was bright enough to add the disclaimer, "gee, if Arkansas can get kids from there in addition to the kids everyone else is getting, including the one's Oklahawg noted, especially the one who went to Okie State, then gangs may not influence FB recruiting very much."

Tulsa Hog Fan and I will hold the fort down until reinforcement from NE OK show up around here. If its just us, that's fine.

PS There are an awful lot of great hogvillians from the Tulsa area who don't need to be insulted with comparisons to certain ex-hogvillians.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

The work done by Wrightobe is stunning, isn't it?

1. Supported my post with evidence, even though it was an attempt at rediculing my post.
2. Knocking the props out from underneath the conspiracy theory about LR recruiting. Don't bother me with gang problems.
3. Undercut his credibility by tossing out the name of a certain ex-hogvillian.

Thanks for playing, here is your parting gift: a year's supply of Riceroni.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

wrightobe

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 08, 2006, 09:19:25 pm

1. Supported my post with evidence, even though it was an attempt at rediculing my post.
2. Knocking the props out from underneath the conspiracy theory about LR recruiting. Don't bother me with gang problems.

Do your get a +1 for your so called victory post?

I did not say gang problems affected recruiting anywhere then Little Rock.

Again, due to down turn in attendance and athlete's playing HS football, it affected recruiting at the U of A, as many of its top players and leaders came from the Little Rock area, and for a 3 or 4 year dry period, Arkansas did not have any scholarship athletes from Little Rock, and this was attributed to the disinterest of HS football brought on by the violence that broke out at some of the football games, resulting in high profile security guards and police patrols, the fact that games were at night, etc. 

We are now getting great recruits from that area, and the situation has improved tremendously, but it was a factor that many thought caused the Razorback football program to decline in wins.

It is also the reason many schools look for some one like Houston Nutt for Head Coach hoping their examples and character can curtail many of the off campus problems that cause several players to get into trouble with the law.
Quote from: Oklahawg on July 08, 2006, 09:19:25 pm

Man, you sure got things out of my post that I sure did not know was there!!

Conspiracy theory about Little Rock recruiting?  Where did you get that?

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 03:17:21 pm

Crickets baby, nothing but crickets.

Pork Twain

You guys are like a bunch of kids which is why I keep coming back here instead of any other board.

I am not saying there is any corelation between crime and football but before you compare LR to Tulsa you should consult the UCI, which is compiled by the FBI, and based on reported crimes.  If you look at this you will see that LR and Tulsa have never really been that different when it comes to crime.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2005preliminary/05table4.htm

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GrizzledHogFan

Even if gang crime had a MAJOR impact on the number of recruits out of Little Rock (and I'm not convinced that it did), it's just one city.  There are thousands of other cities in the region from which to recruit from.  It's a silly argument.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

wrightobe

July 09, 2006, 06:58:53 pm #164 Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:06:20 pm by wrightobe
Quote from: gmb_79 on July 09, 2006, 05:31:07 pm
Even if gang crime had a MAJOR impact on the number of recruits out of Little Rock (and I'm not convinced that it did), it's just one city.  There are thousands of other cities in the region from which to recruit from.  It's a silly argument.
The majority of the other cities outside of Arkansas, the majority of those players, will not come to Arkansas.

The point is that Little Rock is where a lot of the best recruits for Arkansas came from, because of the higher classification, and they did want to go Arkansas.

Man, a recruiter for Arkansas can not just go get any player he wants outside of Arkansas, and it is not easy in Arkansas, but that is where the Razorbacks do best.

The Northwest Arkansas area seems to be a 'hot spot" in the last five years, as I believe before Har-Ber High School was started, the Springdale High School had become the largest High School in the State of Arkansas.

wrightobe

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 11:46:11 pm

You lost me on the "crickets" reference, but I take it is not a compliment.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 09, 2006, 06:58:53 pm
The majority of the other cities outside of Arkansas, the majority of those players, will not come to Arkansas.

The point is that Little Rock is where a lot of the best recruits for Arkansas came from, because of the higher classification, and they did want to go Arkansas.

Man, a recruiter for Arkansas can not just go get any player he wants outside of Arkansas, and it is not easy in Arkansas, but that is where the Razorbacks do best.

The Northwest Arkansas area seems to be a 'hot spot" in the last five years, as I believe before Har-Ber High School was started, the Springdale High School had become the largest High School in the State of Arkansas.

A whopping 16% of the players on the 05-06 roster were from Little Rock.  51% of the players were from outside of Arkansas.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 09, 2006, 07:02:32 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 11:46:11 pm

You lost me on the "crickets" reference, but I take it is not a compliment.

I was stating i was still waiting on you to show me where i have insulted you numerous times as you claimed earlier in the thread.

hogsanity

Quote from: gmb_79 on July 09, 2006, 11:52:02 pm

A whopping 16% of the players on the 05-06 roster were from Little Rock.  51% of the players were from outside of Arkansas.

Which, among the SEC ELITE teams ( GA, LSU, FL, Bama, and Aub ) may have been the highest % of players outside the schools home state.  That is the crux of the whole arguement.  The HOGS have to have a MAJORITY of their players, expecially difference makers, come from out of state.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jap66

Quote from: dishhog10 on July 06, 2006, 07:49:53 am
Felix Jones, Alex Mortenson (yes, he did get offers from other SEC schools), Robert Johnson (he was a top 10 dual threat QB),  Tony Ugoh (we beat OU for him),  Michael Smith, Casey Dick. Those are the ones I think of off the top of my head.  I will study the roster to see how many others I can find.    

PS.  I find it very interesting that since Nutt bashing was outlawed on this site the darksiders come up with creative ways to still throw darts at Nutt without mentioning his name.   How long do you all think to  come up these veiled attempts to slam our coach?  You all make me sick!!

Doesn't Tubbs belong on this list?
Seems to me that Alabama's loss of scholarships prevented them from taking him.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on July 10, 2006, 09:08:28 am
Quote from: gmb_79 on July 09, 2006, 11:52:02 pm

Which, among the SEC ELITE teams ( GA, LSU, FL, Bama, and Aub ) may have been the highest % of players outside the schools home state.  That is the crux of the whole arguement.  The HOGS have to have a MAJORITY of their players, expecially difference makers, come from out of state.

wrightobe is claiming that we get the majority of our players from in-state (Little Rock in particular).  That's why the big bad gang wars hurt our recruiting so much.

Pork Twain

Wrightobe is wrong or very close to it.  Prove it is what I say.

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

Quote from: jap66 on July 10, 2006, 11:35:35 am
Quote from: dishhog10 on July 06, 2006, 07:49:53 am
Felix Jones, Alex Mortenson (yes, he did get offers from other SEC schools), Robert Johnson (he was a top 10 dual threat QB),  Tony Ugoh (we beat OU for him),  Michael Smith, Casey Dick. Those are the ones I think of off the top of my head.  I will study the roster to see how many others I can find.    

PS.  I find it very interesting that since Nutt bashing was outlawed on this site the darksiders come up with creative ways to still throw darts at Nutt without mentioning his name.   How long do you all think to  come up these veiled attempts to slam our coach?  You all make me sick!!

Doesn't Tubbs belong on this list?
Seems to me that Alabama's loss of scholarships prevented them from taking him.

No, Alabama offered but Tubbs chose the Hogs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

twistitup

Most of the Gator football team is from Florida. I would say they have some gang problems in Florida and it does not seem to have much effect on the team.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GuvHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 08, 2006, 09:17:34 pm

I then countered that:
1. Tulsa has had serious gang problems recently, including activity by a prominent Okie State recruit, Prentiss Elliott.
2. Tulsa recruiting is not bothered by this (and I provided some anecdotal evidence of Tulsa players from the "problem" regions of town that went to UA...obviously thinking that anyone reading was bright enough to add the disclaimer, "gee, if Arkansas can get kids from there in addition to the kids everyone else is getting, including the one's Oklahawg noted, especially the one who went to Okie State, then gangs may not influence FB recruiting very much."

Tulsa Hog Fan and I will hold the fort down until reinforcement from NE OK show up around here. If its just us, that's fine.

PS There are an awful lot of great hogvillians from the Tulsa area who don't need to be insulted with comparisons to certain ex-hogvillians.

That's REAL cute Oklahawg, attacking an ex-Hogvillian who's not allowed to defend himself.
That's pretty freakin' low.

Yo Huckleberry

Batman Carroll; Tony Ugho; Marcus Clavelle (who couldn't block ME!); maybe Lawrence Richardson; Felix Jones.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 10, 2006, 12:33:28 pm

I then countered that:

That's REAL cute Oklahawg, attacking an ex-Hogvillian who's not allowed to defend himself.

GUV,  he's an EX-Hogvillian because he broke the board rules and was a real nuisance just for the sake of being a nuisance.

He got ran,  he doesn't deserve the right to defend himself.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

GuvHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 10, 2006, 03:00:41 pm

I then countered that:

GUV,  he's an EX-Hogvillian because he broke the board rules and was a real nuisance just for the sake of being a nuisance.

I beg to differ. Everyone deserves the right to defend themselves, It's called
being an American!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 10, 2006, 03:06:15 pm

I then countered that:

being an American!

GUV,  this board is a benevolent dictatorship.   It's not a democracy here.  Neither you nor I have any rights here,  only priveleges extended us by the graciousness of the owner.

We don't pay fees,  we don't buy shares and when we get banned we don't have the right to defend ourselves if someone makes reference to us later.

GuvHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 10, 2006, 03:29:26 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 10, 2006, 03:06:15 pm

I then countered that:

being an American!

GUV,  this board is a benevolent dictatorship.   It's not a democracy here.  Neither you nor I have any rights here,  only priveleges extended us by the graciousness of the owner.

We don't pay fees,  we don't buy shares and when we get banned we don't have the right to defend ourselves if someone makes reference to us later.

The only problem with that is the owner is NOT the one doing the overwhelming majority
of the banning. In most cases (as in mine) the owner dosen't have a clue why the banning
occured.