Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone ask yourself this question:

Started by hogsanity, July 05, 2006, 10:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Who was the last national level recruit FROM OUTSIDE AR that signed with the Hog FB team?  And by national level, I mean a guy that everyone was after.  When was the last time we beat out the likes of FSU, PSu, FL, Miami etc for a out of state player in football. 

Now, when you see how few times it has happened in the last 30 years, you will see why we have not done much in those same 30 years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mossfan3

yeah i was thinking batman, and michael grant was big.  yes i know grant was a gift, but we still got him.

Zen_Hog

WilsonHog

I imagine that most everyone gets your point. I certainly do, and I don't disagree.

Which begs one question.

What in the hell are we going to do about it?

I for one simply see no percentage in rooting for a program that is, as Colin Cowherd said, a 6 to 7 game winner most years.   

WindyCityHog

Why Hogsanity....

That sounds like an indictment on HDN.

I am confused (more so than normal)..............

WilsonHog

Quote from: WindyCityHog on July 05, 2006, 10:45:57 pm

It is certainly an indictment on SOMEBODY.

Has to be. 

mossfan3

well nutt's been here for less than 1/3 of those 30 years so he should take just less than 1/3 the blame i guess.  are we holding it against this staff that Arkansas high school football is letting us have more target recruits instate?  the last couple of years we have pulled in some very good recruits. is it not good enough since they are mostly from AR?

Vito Porkleone

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 05, 2006, 10:45:37 pm
I imagine that most everyone gets your point. I certainly do, and I don't disagree.

Which begs one question.

I for one simply see no percentage in rooting for a program that is, as Colin Cowherd said, a 6 to 7 game winner most years.   

Wilson, I don't know if BD is the answer or not on gameday, but I think he could march right into homes all over America, pull a Jimmy Johnson and slide a Super Bowl ring across the table, and get recruits to come in droves.

"Son, I've coached one the best teams in football in the last 20 years, and I know what it takes to get to the league.  Let me help you get there."
Phil Mickelson is the new Nuke LaLouche - million dollar swing; ten cent head...

hogsanity

Quote from: WindyCityHog on July 05, 2006, 10:45:57 pm
Why Hogsanity....

I am confused (more so than normal)..............

It may be.  The point though, is that it is not a problem unique to HDN. 

Which begs one question.

Well, I am not surprised that you get the point, however, I imagine it is lost on many here who think you just snap your fingers and they will come.  They just think Nutt is too dumb to snap his fingers.

Winning will help some.  Playing a more wide open, or atleast offense friendly game will help on that side of the ball, but it is on the other side that we really need help. 

Look at 2003.  We lost games that we scored 30+ pts.  As that year went on, we could not stop anyone, at least when we needed too.  The Dl is still one of the keys to college Football.  A good Dl can cover up many many holes. 

They dont have to have 5 star studs at every position, just focus on the DL, WR, and keep those Rb's coming. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: mossfan3 on July 05, 2006, 10:50:38 pm
well nutt's been here for less than 1/3 of those 30 years so he should take just less than 1/3 the blame i guess.  are we holding it against this staff that Arkansas high school football is letting us have more target recruits instate?  the last couple of years we have pulled in some very good recruits. is it not good enough since they are mostly from AR?

NO, but no one is going to build a sucessful SEC program on AR recruits.  Not enough of them.  You still have to get the bulk of your SEC calibre players from out of state.

hogsanity

Quote from: Vito Porkleone on July 05, 2006, 10:51:42 pm

Which begs one question.

Wilson, I don't know if BD is the answer or not on gameday, but I think he could march right into homes all over America, pull a Jimmy Johnson and slide a Super Bowl ring across the table, and get recruits to come in droves.

"Son, I've coached one the best teams in football in the last 20 years, and I know what it takes to get to the league.  Let me help you get there."

Yea, cause no other college coaches can get guys to the league.  The kind of players I am talking about are the guys with the talent to get to the NFL even if they played for a d2 school. 

mossfan3

i agree and i think they are trying to address that.  lord when was the last time we went and offered three kids in indiana or wherever before the summer was halfway over? 

PorkSoda

You gotta win to recruit nationally.  you gotta beat USC, FSU, ND, etc,or you gotta win 10 consistently, for a recruit that isn't born a hog fan, to actually consider Arkansas over a national power house.  Or it has to be a guy whose gonna be third string, and really wants playing time, so he'll go to a lesser University to get that.  I feel like we're on the verge.  We've been so close to winning those close games against top 10 teams the last few years...We need something to put us over the top.  We need a QB with ice in his veins...and a Coordinator that will go for the throat...Maybe they're already on campus...I guess we'll see this fall.

Watch, if we win 10...we might actually start trying to recruit more than one 5-star every 5 years.  If we land a few top tier recruits every year.  We might actually have a team capable of making a run at the NC.  who knows?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: PowderHawg on July 05, 2006, 10:56:12 pm
You gotta win to recruit nationally.  you gotta beat USC, FSU, ND, etc,or you gotta win 10 consistently, for a recruit that isn't born a hog fan, to actually consider Arkansas over a national power house.  Or it has to be a guy whose gonna be third string, and really wants playing time, so he'll go to a lesser University to get that.  I feel like we're on the verge.  We've been so close to winning those close games against top 10 teams the last few years...We need something to put us over the top.  We need a QB with ice in his veins...and a Coordinator that will go for the throat...Maybe they're already on campus...I guess we'll see this fall.

Watch, if we win 10...we might actually start trying to recruit more than one 5-star every 5 years.  If we land a few top tier recruits every year.  We might actually have a team capable of making a run at the NC.  who knows?

BUt, in this day and age, do you have to recruit nationally to win?  If so, it is a catch 22.  To get em you have to win, but to win you have to get em.

mossfan3

look at how west virginia jumped on the scene.  they won some games and landed some stud skill position players.  the key is that they played the young guys b/c they were the best that they had regardless of age.

HatfieldHog

Recruiting is everything in college football.  And thinking that you can't recruit to Northwest Arkansas is a total falacy.  The right coach can recruit to the U of A.  It's time to get that "right coach" on board, pay him the dollars, and expect big things.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

hogsanity

I think they have to recruit AWAY from the traditional SEC hunting grounds.  Start looking elsewhere for kids who might want to play SEC FB, but maybe they live in Wisc, or NJ, or in the Yukon for all I know, it is clear that what they have been doing has not worked too well since joining the SEC.

HawgPilot

So are you saying you are no  longer rooting for the UA? 

Which begs one question.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 05, 2006, 11:03:18 pm

Which begs one question.

I'm saying that at present pace the time is coming when my support won't be all that it is now. I paid almost $1,000 for season tickets this year, plus a $500 contribution. That's $1,500, and I haven't gone to the first game yet. We're not even talking gas, hotels, food, programs, etc.

There comes a time when it is appropriate for a fan to say to the Powers that Be, "Hey, you want my money? Then put a winner on the field that deserves my money."   

HawgPilot

Ok.
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 05, 2006, 11:08:01 pm

Which begs one question.

I'm saying that at present pace the time is coming when my support won't be all that it is now. I paid almost $1,000 for season tickets this year, plus a $500 contribution. That's $1,500, and I haven't gone to the first game yet. We're not even talking gas, hotels, food, programs, etc.

There comes a time when it is appropriate for a fan to say to the Powers that Be, "Hey, you want my money? Then put a winner on the field that deserves my money."  

hogman64

maybe you have to get lucky and have the best RB to ever come out of arkansas and the best QB to ever come out of arkansas on the team at the same time, have them both stay healthy,have them playing  alongside  talent that is above average by recent arkansas standards and have a few lucky breaks in some games, win 9 or 10 games and then build from there..........there is also the Gus and Alex factor........

Vito Porkleone

Quote from: hogsanity on July 05, 2006, 10:55:18 pm
Quote from: Vito Porkleone on July 05, 2006, 10:51:42 pm

Which begs one question.

Yea, cause no other college coaches can get guys to the league.

That's not what I said.  Some other college coaches have NFL coaching experience, a few, granted.  However, when I mentioned a Super Bowl, that's another level entirely.

I'm not talking about talent level.  The current staff has either mis-evaluated, or totally missed the boat on the development front on an overwhelmingly large majority of their signees.  The Hogs drafted over the last 7 or 8 years got to the league on God-given ability alone (Matt Jones), or sheer determination (Burlsworth).  But I can't think of many I'd say were "coached up."

For years, people on this site and others have been bitching about not having any advantage in recruiting, even though our facilities are second to none.  Well, here it is (or could be).
Phil Mickelson is the new Nuke LaLouche - million dollar swing; ten cent head...

SwinedMelon

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 05, 2006, 11:11:19 pm
Ok.

Which begs one question.

Why in the world are you giving so much for something you can't stand to watch?
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

HawgPilot

Hmmm, you could be on to something....or not!
Quote from: russellclaude on July 05, 2006, 11:15:41 pm
Ok.

Which begs one question.

WilsonHog

July 05, 2006, 11:19:27 pm #25 Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:22:46 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: russellclaude on July 05, 2006, 11:15:41 pm
Ok.

Which begs one question.

On the off chance that, assuming I live to a normal life expectancy, at some point before I die I'll actually get to see us finish  a season in the friggin' Top 25.   

Geez, it's not like I'm asking for (gasp!) the Top 10........

hogsanity

Which begs one question.

See, this is where you and I differ.  Sports fan comes from the word "fanatic"  fanatics dont act rationally.  Fnas follow their teams REGARDLESS.  Look at how Redsox fans supported their team through 86 years of frustration and failure.  Cubs fans.  Look at what Steeler fans had to sit through after they won #4.  25 years of mostly just getting in the playoffs or missing them all together.  Look at USC.  They stunk it up for a decade or so before Pete arrived. 

You dropped $1500 on a team coming off back to back losing seasons.  Why?  As long as the $ kepps coming in, Fb is doing his job, making $$$$$.  And, like it or not, that is what it is all about now.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 05, 2006, 11:19:57 pm

You dropped $1500 on a team coming off back to back losing seasons.  Why? 

See my response to russellclaude above.

WindyCityHog

Good points by all....

Winning=recruiting.....Recruiting=winning.

There HAS to be a starting point though....

Look at a traditional power like Nebraska....If you have ever been there, you would know that 1.  Nebraska doesn't produce a lot of HS talent, and 2.  It took some winning to get the recruits.

Kansas State was able to do it for a while under Snyder....
Ferentz has turned Iowa around...
West Virginia does it every few years (and they are loaded this year)...
Wisconsin does it routinely...

Ultimately, I lay the "recruiting" at the feet of the coaching staff.  Nutt has this national perception" of "doing more with less"....

Really?

Is Arkansas HS THAT bad?....Is that "more with less" label BS?....

Ah....there MAY be the rub.

hogsanity

Quote from: WindyCityHog on July 05, 2006, 11:25:27 pm
Good points by all....

Look at a traditional power like Nebraska....If you have ever been there, you would know that 1.  Nebraska doesn't produce a lot of HS talent, and 2.  It took some winning to get the recruits.

Ultimately, I lay the "recruiting" at the feet of the coaching staff.  Nutt has this national perception" of "doing more with less"....

Really?

K-state did it with juco's and kids that could not qualify many other places.  When certain Juco loopholes closed, they tanked.  Lets wait and see on Wv.  Of course playing in the BIG LEAST CONF will keep them around.  Wisconsin actually runs more off tackle plays than the Hogs.  They make last years Hog team look like the Houston Cougars of the mid-late 80's. 

While we will never see it, i would like to see, when HDN is replaced, an open list for people to apply, and see just how many "name" guys would try to get the job.  I think we would be saddened and sickened by the lack of names on the list.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 05, 2006, 11:29:44 pm
Good points by all....

Really?

K-state did it with juco's and kids that could not qualify many other places.  When certain Juco loopholes closed, they tanked.  Lets wait and see on Wv.  Of course playing in the BIG LEAST CONF will keep them around.  Wisconsin actually runs more off tackle plays than the Hogs.  They make last years Hog team look like the Houston Cougars of the mid-late 80's. 

While we will never see it, i would like to see, when HDN is replaced, an open list for people to apply, and see just how many "name" guys would try to get the job.  I think we would be saddened and sickened by the lack of names on the list.

We actually agree....That last paragraph....hammer meet nail.

That is just SAD.

Hope we're both wrong.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: WindyCityHog on July 05, 2006, 11:34:12 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on July 05, 2006, 11:29:44 pm
Good points by all....

Really?

We actually agree....That last paragraph....hammer meet nail.

That is just SAD.

Hope we're both wrong.

Put a $2.2 mil starting salary on that job and watch 'em get into line to fill out the application.   Money talks and it's the universal language.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PorkSoda

Good points by all....

Really?

It has to start with the coaching staff getting the players you have ready to play.  Hell look at miss state.  They beat florida.  Big Upset? or did they smell blood with Florida's coach on the way out?  What about Arkansas vs Georgia last season.  Shockley was out, Tereshenski was falling apart, how did we not win that game?  That is my question.  Why did the hogs not feast the wounded bulldogs?  I forget who smelled the blood and finished the dogs off the next game.  Where's the killer instinct that the rest of the SEC seem to have, but the hogs are lacking.  Have we been losing so long that we forgot how to win?  I don't know, it's getting late and I'm starting to ramble...  
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

thahawg

Marcus Shavers is the last 4-star recruit have landed out of state. Who was he receiving attention from?

WindyCityHog

"Smell the blood"....

Good analogy.

I lay that at the feet of the coaching staff.....HDN is ultimately responsible.  I don't think he can get the job done....but that's been said many times by many others, and it's not a unique observation.

I'm simply frustrated.

Period.

I might be "saddened" by the lack of big name candidates that would apply if HDN were to go.....but I'm willing to take that chance.

FWIW....I hope the Hogs finish 13-0 this year and win the damn national championship....with Nutt as coach.  If you can agree with that, then you should also agree that if the Hogs finish 7-5 or 6-6...he should go.

GrizzledHogFan

July 06, 2006, 01:05:48 am #35 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:10:57 am by gmb_79
It seems to me that for us to recruit on the national level, one of two (or maybe both) things need to happen.  One, we have a breakthrough season (with 10 or more wins and a top 25 finish) where we play above our talent level due to luck, exceptional team chemistry, etc.  Two, we hire a big name coach with a proven track record that could go into kids homes and tell them how he's taken teams to the top before, and how he'll do it again.  This would most likely require breaking out the big bucks, and would go against Broyles' strategy of hiring up-and-comers.

Oh yeah, one other thing.  Arkansas has traditionally been a ground game school.  That was all well and good when everyone played that way, but we've needed a modern offense for a long time now (even prior to Nutt).  Hopefully this will change now that Gus is calling the plays, and we'll start to be able to recruit high-profile QBs and WRs on a regular basis.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

MR.SOOIEESIDE

July 06, 2006, 07:30:34 am #36 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 07:41:17 am by MR.SOOIEESIDE
No doubt it's Batman.  And you're right of the last 30yrs as a whole, we've done nothing.  HDN has had the longest tenure of any FB coach on the hill since JFB retired and look at his numbers.  In the last 30yrs UA has managed only 6 bowl victories and 2 conference titles ('88 and '89).  In my mind the solution will be to bring in a big-time HC that can sell the UA to a big-time recruit whether it be in Texas, Florida, Cali or whereever.  The excuse "you can't recruit to Fayetteville" has gotten old and tired but seems to be widely accepted, not only by recruits but the fan base as well.  The last 16yrs have been torturous to say the least. It's a fallacy to think HDN can take the UA any further than he has.
"Nothing is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientous stupidity." - MLK

MJ2

Hogstocking

July 06, 2006, 07:44:50 am #38 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 07:49:07 am by Piggy Hogstocking
Quote from: MJ2 on July 06, 2006, 07:32:37 am
Wasn't Tony Ugoh highly recruited?

Yes.   He was on the rivals 100 list and rated the 5th best tackle in the nation.  He had offers from FSU and OU among others.

Actually in that 2002 class with Ugoh, we signed 6 four star guys.  Only one was from arkansas (chris baker)...All the other five guys were pretty heavily recruited.  Vickiel Vaughn was rated the 6th best S in the nation etc.etc.

dishhog10

Felix Jones, Alex Mortenson (yes, he did get offers from other SEC schools), Robert Johnson (he was a top 10 dual threat QB),  Tony Ugoh (we beat OU for him),  Michael Smith, Casey Dick. Those are the ones I think of off the top of my head.  I will study the roster to see how many others I can find.     

PS.  I find it very interesting that since Nutt bashing was outlawed on this site the darksiders come up with creative ways to still throw darts at Nutt without mentioning his name.   How long do you all think to  come up these veiled attempts to slam our coach?  You all make me sick!!
Lets band together and back BP

Albert Einswine

Quote from: dishhog10 on July 06, 2006, 07:49:53 am
  How long do you all think to  come up these veiled attempts to slam our coach?  You all make me sick!!

:puke: 2004, 5-6
:puke: 2005, 4-7    

:puke: Tenn 63 - UA 20
:puke: UNLV 31- UA 14
:puke: Kentucky 29 - UA 17
:puke: Minnesota 29 - UA 14
:puke: LSU 55 - UA 24
:puke: LSU 43 - UA 14
:puke: Vandy 28 - UA 24
:puke: USC 70 - UA 17

I'm feeling pretty nauseous, myself.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2006, 11:44:40 pm

Put a $2.2 mil starting salary on that job and watch 'em get into line to fill out the application.   Money talks and it's the universal language.

Exactly.  We're not going to get a name coach for the same money we're paying Nutt, or for the same money that coach is making now.  Until we restore our program prestige to its rightful place among the elite we'll have to throw some serious money at potential candidates.  And yes, our athletic department can afford to pay whatever it takes, no matter what some would have you believe.

A lot of folks don't remember just how bad of a program Texas A$M was before Jackie Sherrill arrived there, or how big of a name Sherrill was in coaching circles at that time.  A$M couldn't even win in the watered down SWC back then.  Their AD and alums decided to shock the world with their next coach's salary, and they landed the guy who was considered one of the top five coaches in America (they also spent money wisely on players, but that's a story for another day).  The point is, they knew they couldn't attract the best and brightest paying the same salary as they were paying Tom Wilson, and they knew that they couldn't compete with Texass and Arkansas with the likes of Tom Wilson as head coach.  They identified the problem, threw money at the problem, and for the next 20 years or so they got results like they'd never seen before.

Oh, and Jackie Sherrill wasn't the Aggies' first choice either.  They originally offered Bo Schembechler of Michigan, who seriously considered leaving arguably one of the top two or three jobs in America.  Obviously he didn't leave, but the salary offered was enough to at least get his attention.  Should we have a vacancy that's exactly the way JFB/ Lindsey should play it.  Identify the top five to ten coaches in the country, set the price at $3 million per year, and offer it to everyone on the list until someone says yes.  If the money is right we won't have to go very far down the list, I promise.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

blake

hogsanity

Quote from: DirkPiggler on July 06, 2006, 08:38:39 am

Put a $2.2 mil starting salary on that job and watch 'em get into line to fill out the application.   Money talks and it's the universal language.

Exactly.  We're not going to get a name coach for the same money we're paying Nutt, or for the same money that coach is making now.  Until we restore our program prestige to its rightful place among the elite we'll have to throw some serious money at potential candidates.  And yes, our athletic department can afford to pay whatever it takes, no matter what some would have you believe.

A lot of folks don't remember just how bad of a program Texas A$M was before Jackie Sherrill arrived there, or how big of a name Sherrill was in coaching circles at that time.  A$M couldn't even win in the watered down SWC back then.  Their AD and alums decided to shock the world with their next coach's salary, and they landed the guy who was considered one of the top five coaches in America (they also spent money wisely on players, but that's a story for another day).  The point is, they knew they couldn't attract the best and brightest paying the same salary as they were paying Tom Wilson, and they knew that they couldn't compete with Texass and Arkansas with the likes of Tom Wilson as head coach.  They identified the problem, threw money at the problem, and for the next 20 years or so they got results like they'd never seen before.

Oh, and Jackie Sherrill wasn't the Aggies' first choice either.  They originally offered Bo Schembechler of Michigan, who seriously considered leaving arguably one of the top two or three jobs in America.  Obviously he didn't leave, but the salary offered was enough to at least get his attention.  Should we have a vacancy that's exactly the way JFB/ Lindsey should play it.  Identify the top five to ten coaches in the country, set the price at $3 million per year, and offer it to everyone on the list until someone says yes.  If the money is right we won't have to go very far down the list, I promise.

So the only answer is $$$$$$$$.  The only way to get a name guy is to pay him some ridiculous amount?  Then whats to keep him from turning right around a leaving here for even more $$$$$$$.

And, by that theory, Buffalo or Eastern michigan should be able to pony up 2mil and win a nc.  There is a lot more to it than just the coach. 

Basically, you guys are saying what I am saying.  The program can not attract a big name coach on its name alone.  Same problem we have with big name recruits.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on July 06, 2006, 10:19:08 am
Quote from: DirkPiggler on July 06, 2006, 08:38:39 am

So the only answer is $$$$$$$$.  The only way to get a name guy is to pay him some ridiculous amount?  Then whats to keep him from turning right around a leaving here for even more $$$$$$$.

And, by that theory, Buffalo or Eastern michigan should be able to pony up 2mil and win a nc.  There is a lot more to it than just the coach. 

Basically, you guys are saying what I am saying.  The program can not attract a big name coach on its name alone.  Same problem we have with big name recruits.

The "big name" programs do pay HUGE $$$$$$ to their coaches.   You're not going to attract a 1st tier coach with a 2nd tier salary, period end of story.

HBTHogs

We'll have to win at first with home state talent.  When that success brings national prominence, we will sign bigger out of state kids.  A lot of the out of state kids who leave home, do so to go to a big name school that will impress the people they know and make them feel successful.  Arkansas doesn't do that for most people outside of Arkansas right now.

WILL CLINTON

Wasn't London Crawford pretty highly sought after??  I know he committed to LSU, but I thought he was at least offered by some of the top schools.  I could be wrong tho.  I don't pay that much attention to recruits until they sign with arkansas, or come out of Arkansas. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Pork Twain

July 06, 2006, 11:33:40 am #47 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:21:18 pm by Superhog1975
Before you post silliness like this.

http://www.hogwired.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=30724&SPID=2419&DB_OEM_ID=6100&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2005

If HDN's record make you sick how does this make you feel???  We had a great 8 year run before Dale got here didn't we???  We have absolutely dominated the SEC since 1992.  I am sure that the eight years of sucking ass before HDN got here did not hurt the program at all but him going to six bowl games and following it up with two losing seasons has just destroyed us.  We were told to expect the last two year but they still surprised us.  Everyone in the world acknowledges the NCAA cloud but disgruntled fans.  A couple of different breaks and we have a winning record last year.  That is what I see GM, AW and RH giving us this year.  I think HDN will be a great HC, but he just needs to manage and leave the play calling up to the OC and DC.
Year   W  L  T
1997   4   7   0   Danny Ford
1996   4   7   0   Danny Ford
1995   8   5   0   Danny Ford (Carquest L to North Carolina)
1994   4   7   0   Danny Ford
1993   6   4   1   Danny Ford
1992   3   7   1   Joe Kines
1992   0   1      Jack Crowe
1991   6   6      Jack Crowe (Independence L to Georgia)
1990   3   8      Jack Crowe

1989   10   2   0   Ken Hatfield (Cotton L vs Tenn)
1988   10   2   0   Ken Hatfield (Cotton L vs UCLA)
1987   9   4   0   Ken Hatfield (Liberty L vs Georgia)
1986   9   3   0   Ken Hatfield (Orange L vs Oklahomo)
1985   10   2   0   Ken Hatfield (Holiday W vs Arizona St)
1984   7   4   1   Ken Hatfield
1983   6   5   0   Lou Holtz
1982   9   2   1   Lou Holtz
1981   8   4   0   Lou Holtz
1980   7   5   0   Lou Holtz
1979   10   2   0   Lou Holtz
1978   9   2   1   Lou Holtz
1977   11   1   0   Lou Holtz

From 1977 to 1992 we were 4-9-1 in bowl games under the great Holtz, Hatfield and Ford.  Sorry I am not old enough to remember the glory days of the 50's and 60's but I am old enough to remember the Holtz/Hatfield era which was followed by Crowe/Ford and to me Dale is no the end of the world.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Swino

Coaches = Recruiting 
Coaches can or can't recruit.  We've been told that Dale can, but we all know better than that now.

Pork Twain

July 06, 2006, 12:09:42 pm #49 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:17:02 pm by Superhog1975
Here are a couple more numbers for you.

Ford was a "great" hire at the time and here are his numbers vs the SEC 15-25-1
Crowe was 3-8-1
Hatfield was 6-3
Holtz was 4-2
JFB was 1-10

So as you can see Arkansas has always dominated the SEC...  Not... 29-48-2 since JFB began coaching the Hogs till the season before Dale was hired.  So for all of you that want to bring up how great the Hogs used to be and how far we have slipped please explain those numbers to me.  Talk to me about how we have dominated the SEC teams.

I am NOT happy losing but prove to me that there is someone better out there to lead our team.  Or by getting rid of the known, HDN who has won at Arkansas, are we just going to get more unknown, Ford won it all somewhere else but didn't do Shiite for the hogs.  I would rather give HDN and company the last two years that JFB said would be rough years and see what he can do this year and next. 

Some of you have no mid-term memory...  You can remember the glory days of the Hogs and you can remember how bad we are sucking now but you refuse to remember the NCAA cloud and the fact that JFB said "it" would cause us to have a couple of down years.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/story.php?paper=adg&section=Sports&storyid=49274&searchterm=nebraska%20offer

Butch Davis??? Winning at the U of Miami and winning at arkansas are so different it is not even funny.

2000   11   1      Butch Davis
1999   9   4      Butch Davis
1998   9   3      Butch Davis
1997   5   6      Butch Davis
1996   9   3      Butch Davis
1995   8   3      Butch Davis

2003   9   4      Houston Nutt
2002   9   5      Houston Nutt
2001   7   5      Houston Nutt
2000   6   6      Houston Nutt
1999   8   4      Houston Nutt
1998   9   3      Houston Nutt

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/