Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we going after another Big?

Started by checkraiser88, March 18, 2018, 07:24:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinto

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 20, 2018, 12:35:25 am
I don't care if all he does is give our bigs a breather and blocks or alters a few shots. Sign him.

And y'all wonder why we're mediocre. This is the kind of impatient recruiting that will keep us middle of the pack. Don't panic if Dan leaves, get a grad transfer or use it for Javon Franklin in '19

HawgHeadCheese

People are letting the term "big man" go too loosely. Just because you're 7'2 doesn't make you big just tall. His film looks so mediocre and he would get pushed around on the block

Hawg Red

All the coaches can really do here is bring in a grad transfer big or get lucky with a good prep big that becomes available via a coaching change. This isn't a situation like with Portis where they knew the kid was probably gone and only brought in an enigma/academic risk in Kapita. The staff believed Gafford was a two-year player and I was told while watching the game that Gafford promised Mike he'd play at least two years. Obviously Mike knows these things change, but no one was projecting Daniel Gafford as a potential one-and-done coming into this season. No one.

My feeling right now is that Gafford will test the waters and enter the draft (as all underclassmen with NBA prospects should do) and he'll probably go to some workouts. This isn't going to be like Moses Kingsley where we knew he'd come back. It's going to be a real process, likely, for Gafford rather than basically gathering feedback like with Moses. Moses may have done a workout or two but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he wasn't a solid draft prospect. Gafford could come across a team that promises him in the late lottery or mid first round area and he'll have to really think about that. But I do think he'll be back in the end. I believe that his goal for himself is higher than being a mid first or later first round pick. I hope that he has people in his corner giving him the right information. I hope they're showing him all the centers in this draft vs what is projected for next year's draft. I hope someone is talking to him about the benefits of playing with a true PG like Jalen Harris. Not saying Harris is a world-beater because he projects as a role player but if he can be like a Jabril Durham, that's going to do wonders for Gafford (much like it did for Moses his junior year). Those are the major pros for returning to Arkansas. He can still work on stuff like shooting, post moves, etc. regardless of if he goes pro or not, and he's more likely to get better develop on those things with professional help that he won't be able to get as a student-athlete. There's a lot to consider here for Gafford. I see a lot of fans, in both directions, acting like this is a very easy call and it really isn't because Gafford's stock as seemingly slipped from a month ago and he has the upside in a weaker center class to really move up.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 20, 2018, 08:24:32 am
People are letting the term "big man" go too loosely. Just because you're 7'2 doesn't make you big just tall. His film looks so mediocre and he would get pushed around on the block

Very good point. He's listed at 210 lbs and at least 7'2. Yikes. A slim, 7'2 player would be a matchup nightmare if he was fluid and can play/defend laterally, but Connor most definitely cannot. He's a stiff that fancies himself as Dirk Nowitzki.

Pinto

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 20, 2018, 08:24:32 am

"But....but...he's 7'2"....and can shoot threes!!!!"

c-townfan

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 08:24:42 am
Be serious. Arkansas is in serious need of another big man for next season. There aren't any high caliber 5 star big men left so it's better to take a big man like Vanover and develop him than to go into next season with the tallest man on the team maybe being 6'9" if Gafford opts for the NBA Draft. It's not every day that the Hogs have a shot at a 7'2" big man who shoots the 3 as well as he does. As I stated earlier, players like that don't grow on trees. Mike needs to sign this young man and adapt his offense to take advantage the young man's height and ability to shoot the three.

We will have Bailey, Osa, Chaney, and Henderson. Yes we need another big man but you don't waste a scholarship as a knee-jerk reaction.  He does not fit our system and honestly he is not good enough to play for us period.