Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Thread - 2017 Edition

Started by jbcarol, March 12, 2017, 05:26:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBreath

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 02, 2017, 09:30:58 am
  And given that we all know there's some unwritten rule that refs tend to call games differently for North Carolina.
Fify.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 02, 2017, 12:59:09 pm

Ok. Bell himself said he cost them the game. Not the refs.
Oh, he played it horribly, no question about that.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hogz87

Quote from: HogBreath on April 02, 2017, 01:25:32 pm
Fify.
Ok.  Thanks.

Still, though, there wasn't anything blatant or obvious in regards to a "foul" at the end by Kennedy Meeks.  Bell didn't block out.  On the first one he didn't even kinda sorta block out and Theo Pinson outjumped him for the rebound.  On the second one, Kennedy Meeks, a bigger and stronger player, took advantage of a very weak blockout by Bell and outworked him for the rebound. 

That last sequence had nothing to do with the refs and a contrived conspiracy that they call games differently for them because they're UNC.  It was a result of very poor blocking out by Oregon and very determined play by UNC.

Boarcephus

Still like Jim Counce's comment, "I don't wish Dana any ill will.  But I won't be pulling for Oregon in the Final Four". 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

niels_boar

Watch the replay from underneath the basket.  Bell takes one step into the lane facing the sidelines.  Meeks then uses his bulk to push him to virtually the other side of the basket.  By rule that's a foul, though arguably it is rarely called.  The push had occurred before the ball was off the rim.  The refs usually only call pushing when the players are in process of going after the ball.  By the time the ball was off the rim Meeks had superior position for the carom.

Blocking out wasn't the problem on the first miss.  Pinson just got off his feet faster.  He was a good step behind Bell.  Bell had played 35 minutes.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hawgdavis

Looks like the Zags will have to beat the refs too

ChicoHog

UNC can't shoot tonight.  Both teams playing good D but not much quality offense.  UNC needs to keep going inside as outside shots are not falling.  Bulldogs hit 3's in second half they will win.  Should be a good second half. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 03, 2017, 09:15:35 pm
UNC can't shoot tonight.  Both teams playing good D but not much quality offense.  UNC needs to keep going inside as outside shots are not falling.  Bulldogs hit 3's in second half they will win.  Should be a good second half.
That pretty much describes what I saw.  Both teams seem tight.  Whoever loosens up first, probably wins.  Screw it!  Go Zags!

ChicoHog

The last couple minutes has been some really bad basketball.  Bad shooting, bad passing, out of control, you name it.  It was all bad.  Everyone wants to "be the man".  They need to settle down, and work it inside.  that goes for both teams. 

HamIAm

they need to throw the flagrant 1 and 2 rule in the trash and start over. That was BS, the NC player came up under him and knocked the ball loose. He reaches out to get the ball and the NC player is moving.

Dr. Starcs

HamIAm

Well, the officials are starting to turn it on for NC

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

latrops

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 03, 2017, 10:15:49 pm
Refs have hijacked the damn game.

Feels like one of those early season games where a foul is called every few seconds as officials target the season's new points of emphasis.

HamIAm

can they review something else to kill the flow of the game

PonderinHog

Paul

Dr. Starcs

The only dating Raftery is associated with is carbon.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 03, 2017, 10:27:33 pm
The only dating Raftery is associated with is carbon.
He preceded carbon dating by a couple of seasons.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 03, 2017, 10:16:47 pm
Foul trouble spells doom for the Zags... UNC will win title on backs of the refs (shocker)  :puke:
UNC foul shooting was so bad it didn't matter.  That was not a well played game on either side.  I think UNC was the better team but neither one played well tonight.  Jackson had his worst game I have seen him play.  Williams-Goss struggled most of the night.  Hard fought but not well played. 

HogCzar1

Poorest played and poorest officiated championship game I can remember.

Dominicanhog

I think the outcome shows how close we are as opposed to, feeling like your wandering in the wilderness and no light to be seen...

HardingHog

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 04, 2017, 01:01:56 am
Poorest played and poorest officiated championship game I can remember.

As far as play goes, don't forget the 2011 game between UCONN and Butler. That was atrocious

hogbud

Razorod

Quote from: hogbud on April 04, 2017, 04:31:44 am
Basketball in football stadiums = bad games
I agree. Play it in nice 20,000+ NBA arenas.That's plenty of seats and it would make for much better basketball.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Razorod on April 04, 2017, 06:18:18 am
I agree. Play it in nice 20,000+ NBA arenas.That's plenty of seats and it would make for much better basketball.

Sadly, that's not what drives the selection of the venues. 

Ticket sales.  Straight cash, homey.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogz87

Quote from: Razorod on April 04, 2017, 06:18:18 am
Unfortunately, when you can play it in a football dome and put 75,000-80,000 butts in the seats, that's always going to win out with the NCAA over a more conducive basketball atmosphere in a 20,000 seat arena.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/849281041877671936

Not Jerry Tipton‏ @NotJerryTipton Apr 3

Meanwhile, here's an actual paper written by an actual UNC basketball player.

It got an A.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net