Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mitchell Smith

Started by -Blu, August 14, 2015, 09:40:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 07, 2016, 11:33:41 pm
To me you do not bring in a older transfer to be a solid back up.  You waste a RS year so he better come in and bring the wood and not sit on the Pine.

News flash not every player is a star. Every team has and needs role players. Every single one.

poloprince

March 08, 2016, 07:54:02 am #51 Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:44:52 am by poloprince
Quote from: LA Football fan on March 07, 2016, 10:14:42 pm
If he can play like that one game, he can play like that many more.  But I agree, players can just have that magical night where they play lights out and everyone wonders where that came from and why didn't we see it before.  The thing is,  he is going to be playing AGAINST us the next 4 years.  Losing a player that you might never play against is one thing, but losing TWO players in Smith and Willis that we will possibly face 4 years each may really come back to haunt us. 

Too late now and I like the Juco's Mike did sign too.   Mike and his staff's job security is definitely on the line next year and you can bet EVERYONE is going to be watching to see how the Juco's perform compared to the players he let walk out the door.  Their experience factor would indicate they SHOULD be better and for the sake of our program I really hope they are.  You cannot coach size and with the way we got hammered on the boards by South Carolina you have to think are we bringing enough size in to keep that from being a common occurrence.

A lot of missed shots and freethrows caused the discrepancy in rebounding against South Carolina. If you shoot in the 30's and miss 10 freebies as the other team is shooting in the 50's, you are going to lose the rebound battle. It wasn't like they was a significant edge in offensive rebounds.

I ask again what were his season averages?
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: yraciv on March 08, 2016, 12:37:19 am
Was he guarded by 6'5, 6'6 Asa Hutchinson Jr.? Bentonville doesn't have an adequate big man to guard him this year.

Part of the time, he was guarded by Malik Monk.
[CENSORED]!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 08, 2016, 06:12:16 am
News flash not every player is a star. Every team has and needs role players. Every single one.

Lots of role players to sign so why would you bring in a transfer role player, sit him a year wasting a scholarship for that time just to have him play a role for 2 years.   Bad  scholarship management to me.   Also to me if you want a transfer role player at least have him be very good at his role like being a great rebounder or great defensive player.

poloprince

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 08, 2016, 08:43:39 am
Part of the time, he was guarded by Malik Monk.

Things that make you go hmmmm
$PoLoPrInCe$

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 08, 2016, 09:59:02 am #55 Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:14:18 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 08, 2016, 08:51:53 am
Lots of role players to sign so why would you bring in a transfer role player, sit him a year wasting a scholarship for that time just to have him play a role for 2 years.   Bad  scholarship management to me.   Also to me if you want a transfer role player at least have him be very good at his role like being a great rebounder or great defensive player.

Yet, 80% of teams have them. I guess Bill Self can't manage a roster since he took Hunter Mickelson.

You just want to criticize MA. And your agenda is showing at this isn't a weakness for MA. You want to criticize MA stick to the things he actually stuggles with like Defense and Rebounding.

RazorPiggie

The_Iceman

Razorod

And we're still looking for a big according to several reports.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorod on March 08, 2016, 10:43:52 am
And we're still looking for a big according to several reports.

And that big is probably not going to be any less of a project than what Mitchell would have been. Shame.

-Blu

Gotta love Hogville, if a low 3-star in-state player comes here, we wasted a scholarship on a role player, if he goes somewhere else the staff doesn't know what they are doing and we'll regret it.

This is the only message board that hypes up Mitchell Smith and Austin Reeves, the teams that they are committed to aren't even hyping them up as much as you guys are.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2016, 10:49:55 am
And that big is probably not going to be any less of a project than what Mitchell would have been. Shame.

Exactly. This staff confuses the heck out of me.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 10:55:03 am
Gotta love Hogville, if a low 3-star in-state player comes here, we wasted a scholarship on a role player, if he goes somewhere else the staff doesn't know what they are doing and we'll regret it.

This is the only message board that hypes up Mitchell Smith and Austin Reeves, the teams that they are committed to aren't even hyping them up as much as you guys are.

The same people who bashed CMA for signing Trey (low hanging fruit was one term thrown about) and even disputing whether Trey had a committable offer to Florida or Memphis. Trey was just some fat boy that didn't fit our system who couldn't get a scholly somewhere else. Of course, had he gone somewhere else.....
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 08, 2016, 08:51:53 am

What?  Guys are either transferring because they aren't getting playing time, not fitting in their current system, or transferring from a lower level school to a higher level school.  The vast majority of transfers will be role players.  And there's nothing wrong with that at all.  You get a guy that can red-shirt and learn your system, who also has prior D1 college experience.  If you think that's bad roster management, then 99% of the coaches in the nation disagrees with you because almost every school in the nation takes transfers. 

I don't know where you got all transfers have to be star players, there's maybe a handful of the hundreds of transfers every year that will be "stars" and while you criticize the staff they had one of the best transfers in the nation in Dusty Hannahs, and I didn't see you posting anywhere thinking he'd put up the numbers he has, you actually said we wouldn't score over 65 PPG.

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 08, 2016, 11:01:18 am
The same people who bashed CMA for signing Trey (low hanging fruit was one term thrown about) and even disputing whether Trey had a committable offer to Florida or Memphis. Trey was just some fat boy that didn't fit our system who couldn't get a scholly somewhere else. Of course, had he gone somewhere else.....

I remember some of these same guys posting in here bashing the staff for letting Hannahs transfer here, saying it was a wasted scholarship.   One poster that's in this thread even labeled Hannahs a mid-major player, now he's bashing the staff for not getting Smith.  That told me all I needed to know about his scouting.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 11:13:09 am
I remember some of these same guys posting in here bashing the staff for letting Hannahs transfer here, saying it was a wasted scholarship.   One poster that's in this thread even labeled Hannahs a mid-major player, now he's bashing the staff for not getting Smith.  That told me all I needed to know about his scouting.

If CMA would have endorsed Trump, Trump would have lost Arkansas.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

I don't mind Mike and his staff passing on Mitchell Smith and Peyton Willis. But if we are going to go out and sign CJ Jones and some project big man, why didn't we just go ahead and pursue the instate kids harder from the beginning?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 11:06:42 am
What?  Guys are either transferring because they aren't getting playing time, not fitting in their current system, or transferring from a lower level school to a higher level school.  The vast majority of transfers will be role players.  And there's nothing wrong with that at all.  You get a guy that can red-shirt and learn your system, who also has prior D1 college experience.  If you think that's bad roster management, then 99% of the coaches in the nation disagrees with you because almost every school in the nation takes transfers. 

I don't know where you got all transfers have to be star players, there's maybe a handful of the hundreds of transfers every year that will be "stars" and while you criticize the staff they had one of the best transfers in the nation in Dusty Hannahs, and I didn't see you posting anywhere thinking he'd put up the numbers he has, you actually said we wouldn't score over 65 PPG.

You must be a politician because you are not reporting the facts of what I said.  I said why go get a transfer who is a role player unless he is very good at his role.  Why go get a average older transfer player, sit him a year who is not really good at his role when you can go get a younger role player and teach him his role and not waste a year.   Hannahs worked out.  Great. Mike did not offer him out of HS and we only got him back because he is Arkansas through and through.  This was a good fit because Hannahs is not a average role player but very good at his role.  He is shooter and has made himself into a decent scorer.  Good for him.  Miles has been a very below average role player.  Unfortunately lots more examples of these average types role players than Hits.   I hope I have made myself clear on transfers so that you understand my logic. If you want to discuss it then we can chat more.

I also want to be clear of my predictions on us scoring only 65 ppg in SEC play because again you are not reporting all the facts.    Yes I said 65 PPG but I also said and Please read carefully, I said we would only average 65 PPG unless we gave up a ton of points  with our so called pressure defenses which speed up the tempo which gave our opponents a lot more points.   I wish I knew where I wrote that down in one of our previous sessions.  You only remember what you want to remember.    I am too lazy to look up stats for the year but with our record being 500 in SEC play I just bet you I am really close on my predictions.  The games in SEC play where we scored a lot of points we also gave up a lot of points.  So you can believe what you want to believe and think what you want to think.  But I would match my bb knowledge of the actual game with you any time you want to hook up.

But lets face it we stunk this year. We are both hoping Mike's JUCO recruits can get us back into the top 3 in the SEC but JUCOs are a huge gamble and with all the new older Coaches in our League with excellent track records it will be a huge challenge because Mike is so hit and miss on recruiting.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2016, 11:43:55 am
I don't mind Mike and his staff passing on Mitchell Smith and Peyton Willis. But if we are going to go out and sign CJ Jones and some project big man, why didn't we just go ahead and pursue the instate kids harder from the beginning?

Because these situations are fluid.

-Blu

Who's to say if they didn't wait until the Spring they wouldn't be Hogs? 

Iceman, your recent posts are really surprising, because you've been around here a long time, longer than me, you know how recruiting works, you just feel like throwing shots at the staff because you're upset about this year.  You know there's a pecking order, you don't give scholarships to lesser targets when your on bigger targets, that's recruiting 101.  Had we signed Smith and Willis and that steered Barford and Cook away, you guys be complaining saying CMA could only land low star in-state players, and he can't recruit out of state.

And the biggest thing both Smith and Willis had very subpar summers, I watch several Wings games, both of those guys didn't even start the majority of the time.  Willis had more flashes than Smith, but against other D1 caliber players they really didn't show up and it reflected in their offer list, both took the first big offer they got.

As far as CJ Jones, he actually had a decent summer, and has been lighting it up this season.  He benefited from WAITING and not signing in November.  Had Willis done the same thing, it's no doubt the staff would have took him instead. 

Hawg Red

Because you don't know from the start if you're going to have to end up with someone like C.J. Jones. There was a pretty highly-rated kid out of Springdale that they wanted over Jones.....

Willis and Smith committed fairly early, while the staff was still trying to pin down some big fish. For example, Mitchell Smith committed to Missouri on 9/19. Cameron McGriff committed to Ok State two days later. McGriff is the guy the staff (and fans) wanted. Eric Curry committed to Minnesota two days after McGriff committed. Mitchell Smith might well have been a Hog if he had just waited a few days because we actually missed on 4 players in that span when you counted Tyler Cook and Arlando Cook's original pledge to Nevada.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2016, 08:55:34 pm
Yes. Completely fouled up on that one.
That was by far Mitchell's best game of his high school career.  He's shown flashes at times but it's really the first time he's totally dominated a game that I can remember.  Just this season he scored 9 points against Greenwood.  9 points.  Greenwood.

-Blu

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 08, 2016, 11:57:53 am
You must be a politician because you are not reporting the facts of what I said.  I said why go get a transfer who is a role player unless he is very good at his role.  Why go get a average older transfer player, sit him a year who is not really good at his role when you can go get a younger role player and teach him his role and not waste a year.   Hannahs worked out.  Great. Mike did not offer him out of HS and we only got him back because he is Arkansas through and through.  This was a good fit because Hannahs is not a average role player but very good at his role.  He is shooter and has made himself into a decent scorer.  Good for him.  Miles has been a very below average role player.  I hope I have made myself clear on transfers so that you understand my logic.

I want to be clear of my predictions on us scoring only 65 ppg in SEC play.  Yes I said it but I also said you Please read carefully, I said we would only average 65 PPG unless we gave up a ton of points  with our so called pressure defenses which speed up the tempo which gave our opponents more points.   I wish I knew where I wrote that down in one of our previous sessions.  You only remember what you want to remember.    I am too lazy to look up stats but with our record being 500 in SEC play I just bet you I am really close on my predictions.  The games in SEC play where we scored a lot of points we also gave up a lot of points.  So you can believe what you want to believe and think what you want to think.  But I would match my bb knowledge of the actual game with you any time you want to hook up.

But lets face it we stunk this year. We are both hoping Mike's JUCO recruits can get us back into the top 3 in the SEC but with all the new Coaches in our League it will be a huge challenge because Mike is so hit and miss on recruiting.

What does that even mean, you only want a role player good at his role.  That's the definition of a role player, somebody that's good at a certain role.  If he's not good at it, then that's not his role LOL.  I don't think coaches go look for players that aren't good at anything.

And I don't have time right now I'm at work, but you can bet I'm going to look up and quote what you said about 65 PPG.  I remember it very well, because it was the most outrageous thing I read in the off-season.  You were going on saying you didn't see how any of these guys would be able to score and you posted all their prior year stats.  You can try to downplay that all you want, but everybody even the biggest of haters called you out on that, that's one thing I think everybody unanimously disagreed with on Hogville. Most people realized the shot clock rule alone was worth about 5-10 PPG.

HoopS

Let's bookmark this thread and see which ones of you know your player projections. So this cat is the real deal?

yraciv

This is my problem with Mike's recruiting. He puts all his eggs in 1 basket and never seems to have a backup plan.  He has his level 1 targets and then he stops showing up to continue evaluating the local guys such as Smith and Willis. Then we appear to be always scrambling at end throwing offers at guys who don't have P5 offers. I question if Mitchell Smith will ever contribute more than 15 minutes a game if he were coming to the Hogs, but then again I don't see many options out there at this point that could.

-Blu

Quote from: yraciv on March 08, 2016, 01:10:34 pm
This is my problem with Mike's recruiting. He puts all his eggs in 1 basket and never seems to have a backup plan.  He has his level 1 targets and then he stops showing up to continue evaluating the local guys such as Smith and Willis. Then we appear to be always scrambling at end throwing offers at guys who don't have P5 offers. I question if Mitchell Smith will ever contribute more than 15 minutes a game if he were coming to the Hogs, but then again I don't see many options out there at this point that could.

You do realize how ridiculous it sounds to say a staff is scrambling when they currently have the #24 recruiting class, 4 signed players, 1 commited, and all scholarships currently filled.

The roster is pretty much set for next year, anybody they add it this point bearing a top 50 type of talent is somebody that's going to be brought over as a project that wouldn't play next year anyways.  Why anybody is upset about that boggles my mind.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 08, 2016, 12:02:50 pm
That was by far Mitchell's best game of his high school career.  He's shown flashes at times but it's really the first time he's totally dominated a game that I can remember.  Just this season he scored 9 points against Greenwood.  9 points.  Greenwood.

Ok.

yraciv

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 01:19:13 pm
You do realize how ridiculous it sounds to say a staff is scrambling when they currently have the #24 recruiting class, 4 signed players, 1 commited, and all scholarships currently filled.

The roster is pretty much set for next year, anybody they add it this point bearing a top 50 type of talent is somebody that's going to be brought over as a project that wouldn't play next year anyways.  Why anybody is upset about that boggles my mind.

What was Dee Wagner, Doobie Jenkins, CJ Jones?  And now we hear we're looking for a big still? I'm fine with the occasional flyer on a guy, but it is becoming an annual thing for us and that effects depth.  I hope Jones turns into a star, but it has been the same song and dance most years with this staff and recruiting.  I like this class and hope it is the difference we need, but there was again some swing and misses that we didn't have adequate backup plans on in my opinion.  And I also have fears when you don't sign one high level 4 year guy. Maybe Bailey is a stud, but I don't feel JUCO's/transfers are the recipe to building a successful program.  Way too much turnover!

-Blu

Quote from: yraciv on March 08, 2016, 01:40:16 pm
What was Dee Wagner, Doobie Jenkins, CJ Jones?  And now we hear we're looking for a big still? I'm fine with the occasional flyer on a guy, but it is becoming an annual thing for us and that effects depth.  I hope Jones turns into a star, but it has been the same song and dance most years with this staff and recruiting.  I like this class and hope it is the difference we need, but there was again some swing and misses that we didn't have adequate backup plans on in my opinion.  And I also have fears when you don't sign one high level 4 year guy. Maybe Bailey is a stud, but I don't feel JUCO's/transfers are the recipe to building a successful program.  Way too much turnover!

What does Dee Wagner and Doobie Jenkins have to do with the 2016 recruiting class?  And why wouldn't they be looking for a big?  They are completely full on guards, and if we do bring in another player, a big would be the obvious choice. You always recruit.  You would be mad if you didn't hear any recruiting news at all, that's good they are still looking, and if the right player presents himself we'll either here of a transfer or Watkins going back to walk-on status.

And as far as JUCOs who cares where the kid comes from Prep, High School, JUCO, Overseas, what difference does it make as long as they can play and contribute.  Programs like Iowa State have had great success with JUCO players, and CMA's last 2 JUCO guys Coty Clarke and Jabril Durham turned out to be good players and neither of those guys were rated as high as any of the three we have coming in now.  Barford is the #1 guy, why would you complain about that?  Look at his offer list, look at Arlando Cook's offer list, A LOT of schools wanted these kids, and your upset because they are from JUCOs and not Arkansas kids or here for 4 years? 

You guys are always talking about offer list, you can line Smith's offer list up with any of our signees and it's not even close to who was the more schools wanted.  CJ Jones is a project, which most of us understand he's a 4-year guy that can go either way.  And since our guard rotation is set there's no problem at all giving him a chance.  Had Payton Willis waited, he could have been that guy, but he choose to sign in the Fall, that's how things turned out.

yraciv

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 02:00:38 pm
What does Dee Wagner and Doobie Jenkins have to do with the 2016 recruiting class?  And why wouldn't they be looking for a big?  They are completely full on guards, and if we do bring in another player, a big would be the obvious choice. You always recruit.  You would be mad if you didn't hear any recruiting news at all, that's good they are still looking, and if the right player presents himself we'll either here of a transfer or Watkins going back to walk-on status.

And as far as JUCOs who cares where the kid comes from Prep, High School, JUCO, Overseas, what difference does it make as long as they can play and contribute.  Programs like Iowa State have had great success with JUCO players, and CMA's last 2 JUCO guys Coty Clarke and Jabril Durham turned out to be good players and neither of those guys were rated as high as any of the three we have coming in now.  Barford is the #1 guy, why would you complain about that?  Look at his offer list, look at Arlando Cook's offer list, A LOT of schools wanted these kids, and your upset because they are from JUCOs and not Arkansas kids or here for 4 years? 

You guys are always talking about offer list, you can line Smith's offer list up with any of our signees and it's not even close to who was the more schools wanted.  CJ Jones is a project, which most of us understand he's a 4-year guy that can go either way.  And since our guard rotation is set there's no problem at all giving him a chance.  Had Payton Willis waited, he could have been that guy, but he choose to sign in the Fall, that's how things turned out.

Please show me where I've complained once about the individuals we have brought in.  I just provided evidence that historically Mike Anderson has taken a decent amount of flyers and most of the time they don't pan out and hurt our depth, and I think we're in that situation because he doesn't usually have a backup plan.

And I knew you'd comeback with Iowa State. They are an exception, hardly the rule. Most good teams aren't built on JUCOs and transfers.  The chemistry just doesn't show up with those teams quick enough!

I think it is pretty evident in this thread that I'd rather have Cook than Smith and that Smith has never impressed me. Yes I would liked to have Willis, but I am also not that guy that says just give the local guys an offer because they are Hog fans. I believe in the football forum, I said maybe only a handful of in state guys should get offers this year.

I call it like I see it when I see flaws in a coach.  I think Mike Anderson's poor at making in game adjustments, and putting all his eggs in 1 basket on the recruiting trail.  I also think he can fire up a team and hardly ever question their intensity level.  People would usually argue I'm more of a sunshine pumper than a MA basher, so of course I get attacked for questioning his recruiting tactics.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 12:09:08 pm
And I don't have time right now I'm at work, but you can bet I'm going to look up and quote what you said about 65 PPG.  I remember it very well, because it was the most outrageous thing I read in the off-season. 

I don't believe you want to start digging up 'outrageous' things that other have said in the past. It won't work in your favor. Just one example, regarding Kapita:

Quote from: -Blu on April 16, 2015, 10:54:44 am
Not sure where the NCAA requirement rumors started, but we know with this staff they aren't going to waste time on guys that aren't going to qualify.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 08, 2016, 03:41:00 pm
I don't believe you want to start digging up 'outrageous' things that other have said in the past. It won't work in your favor. Just one example, regarding Kapita:

Nice, somebody with some time on their hands!  While your digging could you find the quote on what nwahogfan said about the 65 PPG, I'm pretty busy in the office today, still haven't had time to do it.  And, if you have time (I know you do) could you find the post where Iceman was saying Hannahs was a mid-major player.

Appreciate it!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 08, 2016, 12:02:50 pm

I want to know who this Tevin Brewer is.

http://pressargus.com/sports/pointers-team-wins-ot-advances-semifinals.html

Smith seems to have a problem with foul trouble against all those shorties. But he has done enough to prove he would have been better than signing no more bigs in this class.
[CENSORED]!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 04:29:47 pm
Nice, somebody with some time on their hands!  While your digging could you find the quote on what nwahogfan said about the 65 PPG, I'm pretty busy in the office today, still haven't had time to do it.  And, if you have time (I know you do) could you find the post where Iceman was saying Hannahs was a mid-major player.

Appreciate it!

You're so busy yet you've posted 11 times in the last hour and a half. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 08, 2016, 04:44:29 pm
You're so busy yet you've posted 11 times in the last hour and a half.

I know, I'm ashamed of myself as well, a good debate always distracts me, message boards and facebook always get me in trouble.  I guess it's good thing I'm a pretty fast at typing and thank goodness for dual monitors.

But enough about me, how you coming on finding the quotes?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 04:58:23 pm
I know, I'm ashamed of myself as well, a good debate always distracts me, message boards and facebook always get me in trouble.  I guess it's good thing I'm a pretty fast at typing and thank goodness for dual monitors.

But enough about me, how you coming on finding the quotes?

Sorry, I won't be assisting further with your need to create drama on the Recruiting forums. I understand, after avoiding HV for the past three months, you must have a lot you wish to say. But as I suggested earlier, as your record shows, you probably shouldn't go that route.

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 08, 2016, 05:21:01 pm
Sorry, I won't be assisting further with your need to create further drama on the Recruiting forums. I understand, after avoiding HV for the past three months, you must have a lot you wish to say. But as I suggested earlier, as your record shows, you probably shouldn't go that route.

Yea I had a free trial on another board and I was mostly posting over there, it's expired now.  I must admit it was a nice break from here. Thanks for noticing I was gone, you're the first to notice.  I did keep in touch with a few posters though.  It's a few of good guys, I enjoy discussing hoops with, so had to come back and represent the Hogs with them.

But anyways nice talking to you, feel free to continue reading my post history, I got nothing to hide, I don't always get everything right, but I'd like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to college B-Ball.

yraciv

He was gone for 3 months? I didn't notice but knew it seemed quieter.

-Blu

Quote from: yraciv on March 08, 2016, 05:45:57 pm
He was gone for 3 months? I didn't notice but knew it seemed quieter.

I know right.  It must have been nice.

But, good news for you and your best bud HA, with the Trump Rally style atmosphere around here, I probably will get banned before too long.  So, you guys will be able to get back to the "good ole days of bashing CMA in every thread" with no worries.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 05:54:47 pm
So, you guys will be able to get back to the "good ole days of bashing CMA in every thread" with no worries.

Our post histories actually don't reflect that. But please do continue to fling as much poo as you can muster. Perhaps some might eventually stick to something/someone.

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 08, 2016, 06:03:16 pm
Our post histories actually don't reflect that. But please do continue to fling as much poo as you can muster. Perhaps some might eventually stick to something/someone.

I'm sure your post history does show you to be an upstanding Hogville poster.  I'm sure everyone wishes there were more posters like you.  The mods must feel great that you dedicate so much time to going around keeping peace in all the threads, and that's not even your job.

Anyways, nice talking to you.  I'm glad you made time in your busy forum patrolling schedule to give me a good ole lecture.  And just wanted you to know I learned my lesson, I'll never challenge someone's post history when I've said such outrageous things as I think a player will qualify, I should have known a CMA player wouldn't make it to campus.  That's the last time I'll listen to RD and Dudley!

Porked Tongue

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 11:59:44 am
Who's to say if they didn't wait until the Spring they wouldn't be Hogs? 
Me.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 04:29:47 pm\And, if you have time (I know you do) could you find the post where Iceman was saying Hannahs was a mid-major player.

I've searched the best I can, and cannot find anything in my history regarding Hannahs. I'd appreciate if you could back this up because I cannot remember saying this.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 11:59:44 am
And the biggest thing both Smith and Willis had very subpar summers, I watch several Wings games, both of those guys didn't even start the majority of the time. 
This was solely a function of having the ball hog known at Malik Monk on their team.  They excelled when giving a real chance and were winners on the circuit the summer before.  That last summer was Monk's first year on that team and it was all about him.

That's a fact.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2016, 06:41:16 pm
I've searched the best I can, and cannot find anything in my history regarding Hannahs. I'd appreciate if you could back this up because I cannot remember saying this.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=565362.0

"I would love to add Dusty as a zone buster type guard, but I think he would be best served going to a mid-major school that puts an emphasis on shooting and guards of his skill set. Maybe like a Belmont, Gonzaga, or Butler."

-Blu

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 06:43:42 pm
This was solely a function of having the ball hog known at Malik Monk on their team.  They excelled when giving a real chance and were winners on the circuit the summer before.  That last summer was Monk's first year on that team and it was all about him.

That's a fact.

LOL, Whatever, I watched their team play in person twice and every single game that was available via stream.  They didn't play well this summer, especially Smith.  And your theory doesn't hold up, because Eric Curry went from un-ranked to a 4-star player with several high major offers playing for the Wings this summer.  He was MUCH more aggressive than Smith was, and he had no problems finding a way to get involved in the offense.  Heck, the 3rd best player on their team was Tyrik Dixson.  He's a mid-major guy and had no problems getting involved.

You can save all that Malik Monk excuses for someone else.  I know better than that.  Coaches are smart enough to still evaluate kids. Monk isn't the first player in the AAU circuit to dominate the ball.  You want to say something is a fact, it's a fact that Willis only had 2 high major offers and Smith only had 1, their offer list was a reflection of their play this summer.  They both took the best offers they had.  Had they waited they may have been Hogs, but they aren't we signed higher ranked players and we'll be fine without them.

Porked Tongue

You listed the 3 most pimped players on the Ron Crawford self-serving list.  Smith did not have a good summer because he didn't have a chance.  Like many Crawford teams, he stockpiles and sits at the expense of many players development. 

It's a fact ball was in Monks hand more often than not.  Curry was the only other that had a chance.  The team aspect disintegrated into the Monk (and sometimes Curry) show.

Just a little first hand knowledge and you know what really good players think about playing with Monk.

Funny you mention Dixon.  Now about his offers????

I'm not saying Smith should have been a Hog.  But I'd gamble his career in college will be better than Trey T's.

The Hogs slow played almost every instate player to the degree of arrogance.  They believed they had could grab those players as fallbacks.  The problem was they were so neglectful early on that they closed a door they should have left open.  That's their biggest problem. 

You can't pretend you are so good you can disrespect the better players instate.  To assume you can throw down a 11th hour offer and they'll be waiting with their arms open is naive.  In more than one case(n recent years) they came in late after fully ignoring players up to that moment.

They only come forward with vague offers when they see some other schools are interested.  By then, it's to late.

Before you retort back, try some firsthand knowledge.

-Blu

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 09:43:35 pm
You listed the 3 most pimped players on the Ron Crawford self-serving list.  Smith did not have a good summer because he didn't have a chance.  Like many Crawford teams, he stockpiles and sits at the expense of many players development. 

It's a fact ball was in Monks hand more often than not.  Curry was the only other that had a chance.  The team aspect disintegrated into the Monk (and sometimes Curry) show.

Just a little first hand knowledge and you know what really good players think about playing with Monk.

Funny you mention Dixon.  Now about his offers????

I'm not saying Smith should have been a Hog.  But I'd gamble his career in college will be better than Trey T's.

The Hogs slow played almost every instate player to the degree of arrogance.  They believed they had could grab those players as fallbacks.  The problem was they were so neglectful early on that they closed a door they should have left open.  That's their biggest problem. 

You can't pretend you are so good you can disrespect the better players instate.  To assume you can throw down a 11th hour offer and they'll be waiting with their arms open is naive.  In more than one case(n recent years) they came in late after fully ignoring players up to that moment.

They only come forward with vague offers when they see some other schools are interested.  By then, it's to late.

Before you retort back, try some firsthand knowledge.

So... Let me get this straight, Ron Crawford planned to sabotage Smith and Willis, because he was just so in love with Tyrik Dixon and Eric Curry. LOL!  Are you actually serious? Again, you can save those conspiracy stories for someone else.  I watched them play, I actually watched Smith very closely because I knew he had an Arkansas offer at one point, and he wasn't aggressive AT ALL, it was times where I would just shake my head, because of how he was getting bullied down low. Did Crawford plant guys on the other team to make Smith look bad as well?

As far as Payton Willis, there was times where he looked good, and other times where you didn't even know he was in the floor, he wasn't engaged.  Did he maybe feel he had to defer to Monk because he was out there?  It's possible.  But, if he can't find a way to get involved in AAU, how in the world is he going to make it in college, he won't be the #1 guy at Vandy.  He's got to find a way to still be engaged out there.

And as far as firsthand knowledge comment, you can play the "I'm so important and I know more than you" role all you want, and maybe somebody else will be impressed with that.  But, I watched the games, it doesn't take an insider to see they had subpar summers.  Like I said, Monk isn't the first ball dominate player in AAU, coaches know how to evaluate past that.  And your comment about Dixon, you're right he's a mid-major guy and he was more consistent and outplayed Payton Willis.  And it wasn't any favoritism, he just outplayed him, you could see that on the court.  I would encourage you before you reply to go watch some of their games, rather than come up ridiculous conspiracy theories to try to make the staff and Monks look bad because you don't like them.  As Kevin Garnett says the ball don't lie.  If you're better than someone it will show on the court.

Porked Tongue

I knew better than to discuss it with you. 

My error was hearing it directly and thinking you'd honor that within the discussion.

Continue your informed view from 10k feet. 

Scott7703

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2016, 10:55:03 am

I tend to think the issue is with the fact we have a team with guys like Kouassi, Watkins, Miles and a freshman doobie who never sniffed time. Why not take a chance on a smith or reeves instead of never giving them a serious look and then being stuck with the above mentioned.