Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grad Transfer Willy Kouassi

Started by -Blu, April 19, 2015, 10:15:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Saw this posted on another board.  Was posted a few days ago, surprised nobody caught this.

Jeff Borzello
‏@jeffborzello
Over 30 schools have contacted Kennesaw St. transfer Willy Kouassi -- including Wichita St., Arkansas, K-State, URI.
6-10, A-Sun DPOY.

Only played 19 MPG in the A-Sun, and his stats aren't anything that catches your eye.  I didn't watch Kennesaw St. so I don't know how good he is.  But, apparently he's a good defender and has a lot of schools interested including high majors.

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on April 19, 2015, 10:15:11 pm
Saw this posted on another board.  Was posted a few days ago, surprised nobody caught this.

Jeff Borzello
‏@jeffborzello
Over 30 schools have contacted Kennesaw St. transfer Willy Kouassi -- including Wichita St., Arkansas, K-State, URI.
6-10, A-Sun DPOY.

Only played 19 MPG in the A-Sun, and his stats aren't anything that catches your eye.  I didn't watch Kennesaw St. so I don't know how good he is.  But, apparently he's a good defender and has a lot of schools interested including high majors.
Why didn't he come here when he and his buddy left Auburn?

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 19, 2015, 10:19:28 pm
Why didn't he come here when he and his buddy left Auburn?

No idea, but just seen he was a former top 66 player, was a 4-star on rivals coming out of high school.

wheelspigharvey

I don't know anything about evaluating talent but these garbage baskets were fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/_hKoRANP_eo

-Blu

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on April 19, 2015, 10:38:19 pm
I don't know anything about evaluating talent but these garbage baskets were fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/_hKoRANP_eo

Yea I seen that video as well, that's really only highlight videos on him right now.  Kinda odd considering he was a top recruit coming out.

Looks as if he's a guy that plays good solid defense and just scores off of put backs and dunks.  Which isn't bad, we could use another rim protector, after Kingsley we don't have another guy that can do that.  And I'm not saying this guy would be my first choice or anything like that but, we do have 3 remaining scholarships, if we can get 1 or 2 impact guys, I have no problem getting a role player like him as the 3rd scholarship, especially since it's only for a year and it'll be available again for the 2016 class.  Worse case scenario him and Thompson can compete for the backup center spot, and he gives us a few minutes a game protecting the rim and getting rebounds.

Big Nasty 34

I would try and get this guy. We need another veteran guy who can give us solid minutes. Would possibly allow Kapita to redshirt if he's not 100% or at least allow him to ease into D1 ball.

Doug

April 20, 2015, 07:14:26 am #6 Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:36:31 am by Doug
I reached out to one of my KSU guys to see what he could tell us about Willie.

EDIT Okay, talked with another KSU contact... after what I've been told... I would probably look elsewhere for another big man. Seems to be some concerns about his playability.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

jry04

Quote from: Doug on April 20, 2015, 07:14:26 am
I reached out to one of my KSU guys to see what he could tell us about Willie.

EDIT Okay, talked with another KSU contact... after what I've been told... I would probably look elsewhere for another big man. Seems to be some concerns about his playability.
Thanks for the information, and no offense, but I would trust the coaching staff's evaluation before I would trust an avid Kennesaw State fan. If we reached out to him, then there is clearly something the coaches like.

Doug

jry, what makes you think I reached out to an "avid Kennesaw State fan"? :)

Give me a little more credit than that, please.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

The_Bionic_Pig

The "Immediate Eligibility" of a 6'10 Big Man is what's garnering so much attention.  He won't effect the 2016 class scholarship's.   That is very appealing to D-1 program's.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Kevin

Kennesaw state has been a mess the last 3 or 4 years
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgnCorona

If this guy can do what you see in the video, heck yeah go for it! He can come in an play right away, right?

I see it as a stop gap. It could help in keeping us relevant next year...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on April 19, 2015, 10:15:11 pm

Jeff Borzello
‏@jeffborzello
6-10, A-Sun DPOY.

If we sign this guy, I'm getting off the couch and trying out as a walk on. May be able to play my way into a full ride. If this guy can, I can.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Marshfieldhog

Expect signs of desperation in the Spring signing period, here is sign # 1.

bcdeputy

Wouldn't ever turn down a decent big man

Doug

Quote from: KevinKennesaw state has been a mess the last 3 or 4 years
Most of that was attributed to their primary coach's health issues... when he took a medical leave of absence, one of the assistants was named interim, then named actual the following year. Got into some NCAA trouble his first year and was fired before the season was over (I believe).

Dark dark NCAA cloud hanging over the KSU MBB program right now... but even FOIA requests haven't identified exactly what those issues are. AD is heavily involved in MBB program... expecting a few players to be kicked out and self imposing of sanctions.

Yeah, KSU MBB is a mess right now. :/
--Doug

King Kong

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/05/the-sunday-leftovers-kouassi-visit-list-dmn-area-top-100-in-football-et-cetera.html/

Apparently, Willy will visit the Hogs along 3 other schools.

@WillyOfficial50 Upcoming Visits; Western Kentucky, Arkansas, Memphis & Ole Miss

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on May 25, 2015, 03:44:37 pm
http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/05/the-sunday-leftovers-kouassi-visit-list-dmn-area-top-100-in-football-et-cetera.html/

@WillyOfficial50 Upcoming Visits; Western Kentucky, Arkansas, Memphis & Ole Miss

Must be one of the June visits MA was talking about. No risk. Was the Defensive player of the year in his conference

Hawg Red

All for it. Let's get some experience and defense in here for the frontcourt and not tie up a scholarship longterm. I'd feel better about next year if we got this one and Leon. I feel like we'd be in a better position to compete for an NCAA tourney birth.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 25, 2015, 05:57:22 pm
All for it. Let's get some experience and defense in here for the frontcourt and not tie up a scholarship longterm. I'd feel better about next year if we got this one and Leon. I feel like we'd be in a better position to compete for an NCAA tourney birth.

It would for sure give us a proven defensive option for when Moses gets in foul trouble.

-Blu

Quote from: King Kong on May 25, 2015, 03:44:37 pm

Nice find +1.  No problem with adding Kouassi, it's a no risk move.  People were laughing at the thought of adding him, but as you can see other high majors after him as well.  If you can get a veteran that can give you 10-15 minutes off the bench with not much drop-off that's all you can ask for.  Only thing about grad transfers it's not really about who the better program is, which we clearly are on the list, but who can offer the most playing time, since they only have 1 year.  I wouldn't be surprised if a school like Western Kentucky won out because they could offer more minutes.

And last thing  I want to wait to see what our media guys say about the potential visit from him.  Don't want to speculate too much then it turns into another Dikembe Dixon or Clydee Santee situation, where they were never much interest from us.

Hogimus Prime

I'd be on board for that. What's the interest level with Leon?

Hawg Red

RD mentioned in his update today that Willy and JaCorey were HS teammates in Alabama, FWIW.

mhuff

Believe he can help the team. I honestly don't know the talent level of many of the Jucos that have been mentioned here. Still, We need some depth on the inside ,and he would produce defense. I am a defense first kind of guy.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 26, 2015, 11:39:49 am
RD mentioned in his update today that Willy and JaCorey were HS teammates in Alabama, FWIW.

Yep, visit will be next weekend.  Hopefully him being former teammates with JaCorey will be enough to give us the edge.  I think Kouassi would be a nice back center for us, if he can duplicate his production from last year (4 PPG, 5 RPG, 1 BPG) in about 15 MPG behind Kingsley, that would be very solid.  That's probably close to what a guy like Izundu would have given us as a true freshman.  Plus, that scholarship would open back up next year.

mbgrulz

Quote from: -Blu on May 26, 2015, 11:58:20 am
Yep, visit will be next weekend.  Hopefully him being former teammates with JaCorey will be enough to give us the edge.  I think Kouassi would be a nice back center for us, if he can duplicate his production from last year (4 PPG, 5 RPG, 1 BPG) in about 15 MPG behind Kingsley, that would be very solid.  That's probably close to what a guy like Izundu would have given us as a true freshman.  Plus, that scholarship would open back up next year.
I agree with all that you said...Doesn't seem to be a ton of risk in bringing him in for 1 year. He's not a game changer, but he's a big body and someone to practice against. Hopefully we'll know today if we are really going after him or not.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mhuff on May 26, 2015, 11:55:35 am
Believe he can help the team. I honestly don't know the talent level of many of the Jucos that have been mentioned here. Still, We need some depth on the inside ,and he would produce defense. I am a defense first kind of guy.

Defense translates.

-Blu

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 26, 2015, 12:07:30 pm
Hopefully we'll know today if we are really going after him or not.

Think RD confirmed that, he said his visit date is 5th-7th, and he's talked to his guardian.  He's visiting Western Kentucky this weekend.  The lower schools like UNT and WKU actually are the more dangerous teams in this situation IMO, because a guy like him can instantly go into either of the schools and be a starter and probably guaranteed a lot of minutes, which may be more attractive to a guy playing his last year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 26, 2015, 12:21:54 pm
Think RD confirmed that, he said his visit date is 5th-7th, and he's talked to his guardian.  He's visiting Western Kentucky this weekend.  The lower schools like UNT and WKU actually are the more dangerous teams in this situation IMO, because a guy like him can instantly go into either of the schools and be a starter and probably guaranteed a lot of minutes, which may be more attractive to a guy playing his last year.

...unless they want to play for a real chance to play in the NCAA tournament. Better chance of that at Arkansas, Memphis and Ole Miss. Maybe it's a combination of both.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 26, 2015, 12:25:22 pm
...unless they want to play for a real chance to play in the NCAA tournament. Better chance of that at Arkansas, Memphis and Ole Miss. Maybe it's a combination of both.

Yea just depends on what he wants.  He can actually get the best of both worlds at Arkansas.  Memphis they got a lot of front court guys and don't go deep into their bench, not sure he would play there, and they are at 13 scholarships.  Ole Miss is currently at 13 guys, but only have 1 post player, if he really wanted to go there, I bet they'd make room.  WKU is at 13 players as well, but again he'd probably go there and be a starter, so they'd make room.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on April 20, 2015, 07:40:55 am
Thanks for the information, and no offense, but I would trust the coaching staff's evaluation before I would trust an avid Kennesaw State fan.

You don't have the first clue what this staff's evaluation of this kid is.

They are in desperation mode.  They need bodies.  And this kid is a big body.

I think his 1.9 ppg and 2.7 rpg will be a huge addition for the 2015-16 club.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 26, 2015, 01:13:21 pm

Defensive player of the year in his conference and a former 4 star out of HS. He can block shots and clog the lane. Very good ath with almost no offensive skill. He is better than you are giving him credit. However, He is probably a poor mans Steven Hill

mhuff

Sorry Hawg Red..... I have not kept up with the carousel of names.... Leon?

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 26, 2015, 01:36:11 pm
Defensive player of the year in his conference former 4 star out of HS. He can block shots and clog the lane. Very good ath with almost no offensive skill. He is better than you are giving him credit. However, He is probably a poor mans Steven Hill

Kouassi is not a guy you bring in for statistical production. At least not in the basic sense. He'd help out a lot and allow us to maintain defensively after losing Harris. Also helps us not have to rely on Thompson so much as it's a coin flip as to whether or not he's ready. By all accounts, he's putting the work in, but he does have a long way to go. Kouassi helps ease him in. Same with Kapita (health). The one big drawback is offensive production, though, because Kouassi and Miles will give little to no offensive production. But if they can make layups and dunks and clean some messes up, we'll be okay.

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 26, 2015, 01:13:21 pm

Thanks for the response a month later.

I do not have a clue what this staff's evaluation of the kid is? I think anyone with a brain has at least a clue considering we are bringing him on a visit. They certainly think he is worth something if they are taking the time to bring him here.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mhuff on May 26, 2015, 01:40:47 pm
Sorry Hawg Red..... I have not kept up with the carousel of names.... Leon?

Justin Leon. SF-type currently committed to Louisiana Tech but is supposedly asking out of his LOI. Honorable mention JUCO All-American out of Shawnee CC in Illinois. Originally from Conway, AR. 6'7, averaged 21 and 10 as a sophomore.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 26, 2015, 01:36:11 pm
Defensive player of the year in his conference and a former 4 star out of HS. He can block shots and clog the lane. Very good ath with almost no offensive skill. He is better than you are giving him credit. However, He is probably a poor mans Steven Hill

And what do you think Stephen Hill's averages would have been in the first year in Mike's program??

And, sorry, but don't come to me with this "4* out of high school".  I heard that kind of deal recently with that UT OL that was transferring.

An evaluation like that was done in his junior year of high school, most probably, and was based purely on theoretical potential, which means it was a stab in the dark, like most of those deals are.

In truth, we now know that evaluation wasn't even close on this kid.  He should have been a 2* out of high school.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 26, 2015, 01:45:40 pm
And what do you think Stephen Hill's averages would have been in the first year in Mike's program??

And, sorry, but don't come to me with this "4* out of high school".  I heard that kind of deal recently with that UT OL that was transferring.

An evaluation like that was done in his junior year of high school, most probably, and was based purely on theoretical potential, which means it was a stab in the dark, like most of those deals are.

In truth, we now know that evaluation wasn't even close on this kid.  He should have been a 2* out of high school.
Steven Hill was challenged offensively, but he played in a NBA game. It was only one game, but the fact that he made it for even one game shows he was good at something...

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 26, 2015, 01:41:28 pm
Kouassi is not a guy you bring in for statistical production. At least not in the basic sense. He'd help out a lot and allow us to maintain defensively after losing Harris. Also helps us not have to rely on Thompson so much as it's a coin flip as to whether or not he's ready. By all accounts, he's putting the work in, but he does have a long way to go. Kouassi helps ease him in. Same with Kapita (health). The one big drawback is offensive production, though, because Kouassi and Miles will give little to no offensive production. But if they can make layups and dunks and clean some messes up, we'll be okay.

I think you bring him in for practice purposes if nothing else. To have a physicall mature big for your young guys to work against. Any production after that is gravy.

-Blu

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 26, 2015, 02:26:23 pm
I think you bring him in for practice purposes if nothing else. To have a physicall mature big for your young guys to work against. Any production after that is gravy.

I'm sure he's not just being brought in for practices purposes.  We can grab anybody to do that. He's way better than that.  He's actually the all-time leader in blocks at Kennesaw, defensive player of the year in that league, and he's a former top 66 recruit.  He's just not an offensive player, which jry04 made a good comparison in Steven Hill.  I would assume his role would be to come off the bench to bring energy and defense, like a 6'10 Manny Watkins.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 26, 2015, 01:42:51 pm
Justin Leon. SF-type currently committed to Louisiana Tech but is supposedly asking out of his LOI. Honorable mention JUCO All-American out of Shawnee CC in Illinois. Originally from Conway, AR. 6'7, averaged 21 and 10 as a sophomore.

Thanks..... It didn't sound right because I thought Leon was first name. Sounds like he could fit the bill. I am not sure anymore unless I have seen them play. Graham's stats made him look like a world beater. Hope he has a good year...... hope they all have good years.

Kevin

he played at kennesaw state for a reason. and they are terrible. but, it is just a one year contract.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Swinesong1

Quote from: Kevin on May 26, 2015, 02:50:18 pm
he played at kennesaw state for a reason. and they are terrible. but, it is just a one year contract.
Started out at Auburn

jry04

May 26, 2015, 02:54:37 pm #43 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:19:00 pm by jry04
I do not know much about this kid, and certainly have never seen him play. However, this is just a silly statement. I am not saying this kid will be any good, but you do not follow college basketball much if you think some of these one bid leagues cannot produce good talent.

UNCLE BACK

This Guy is a 7 to 10 min defensive specialist. Would be a nice addition. He played with Jacorey in High School I believe so we should have the upper hand on landing him.

farmhawg

pure ignorance. Just for grins, where did pippen play?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on May 25, 2015, 06:19:43 pm
Nice find +1.  No problem with adding Kouassi, it's a no risk move.  People were laughing at the thought of adding him, but as you can see other high majors after him as well.  If you can get a veteran that can give you 10-15 minutes off the bench with not much drop-off that's all you can ask for.  Only thing about grad transfers it's not really about who the better program is, which we clearly are on the list, but who can offer the most playing time, since they only have 1 year.  I wouldn't be surprised if a school like Western Kentucky won out because they could offer more minutes.

And last thing  I want to wait to see what our media guys say about the potential visit from him.  Don't want to speculate too much then it turns into another Dikembe Dixon or Clydee Santee situation, where they were never much interest from us.
Who's minutes do you see him getting?  Trey?   A back up to Moses or do you see him starting?  Stats are 6 points and 6 boards at a Div 2 school doesn't jump off the page at you. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 26, 2015, 03:22:35 pm
Who's minutes do you see him getting?  Trey?   A back up to Moses or do you see him starting?  Stats are 6 points and 6 boards at a Div 2 school doesn't jump off the page at you.

Kennesaw State is in the Atlantic Sun conference of Division 1.

But I see him backing up Moses and splitting time with Trey.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2015, 02:20:58 pm
Steven Hill was challenged offensively, but he played in a NBA game. It was only one game, but the fact that he made it for even one game shows he was good at something...

Didn't answer my question, there, bra.

Can we get a perspective here folks?

We are getting a tingly feeling about a kid that was a part time player at Kennesaw State!!??

Do we really believe this is how a quality, perennial Top 20 CBB team is built?

REALLY??

choppedporkextrasauce

bra, really, people use that, really???