Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC vs. Big 12

Started by mizzouman, April 29, 2006, 10:14:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Close call.  Athletically, it's really a toss up if you look at the past 6 years.  In football, the SEC probably has had more top 25 teams in the final poll, but I'm not even sure of that.  Big 12 has had 2 national champs and SEC only 1 and it was debatable.

In basketball, the SEC has had 2 teams in the final 4 in the past 6 years and that happened this year where as the Big 12 has had 5.

Academcially, it's not close.  Big 12 teams rank higher no question.

As far as NCAA infractions, SEC is known for their NCAA issues.  When I was living in Michigan, the SEC was a joke because of the infractions.  They were talking about what was the bigger rivalry, Mich./Ohio St or Ala/Aub.  Of course, the Wolverine fans and Buckeye fans were comparing their rivalry to the probation series of Ala/Aub.  However, the Big 12 has had their share as well but not to the extent of the SEC. 

So, the question remains.  Would Arkansas do better in the SEC or Big 12?  No question it's the Big 12.  They would have more success in the Big 12 not to mention the natural rivalries with the Texas and Oklahoma schools and Missouri and KU/KSU.

Here's a comparison (football/basketball only)

Texas/LSU
Oklahoma/Florida
Baylor/Vandy
Texas A&M/Bama
Texas Tech/South Carolina
OKIE State/Miss St
KU/Kentucky
KSU/MSU
Colorado/Auburn
Iowa State/Ole Miss
Nebraska/Georgia
Missouri/Ark

Pretty darn close......

nwarazfan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 29, 2006, 10:14:59 pm
Close call.  Athletically, it's really a toss up if you look at the past 6 years.  In football, the SEC probably has had more top 25 teams in the final poll, but I'm not even sure of that.  Big 12 has had 2 national champs and SEC only 1 and it was debatable.

In basketball, the SEC has had 2 teams in the final 4 in the past 6 years and that happened this year where as the Big 12 has had 5.

As far as NCAA infractions, SEC is known for their NCAA issues.  When I was living in Michigan, the SEC was a joke because of the infractions.  They were talking about what was the bigger rivalry, Mich./Ohio St or Ala/Aub.  Of course, the Wolverine fans and Buckeye fans were comparing their rivalry to the probation series of Ala/Aub.  However, the Big 12 has had their share as well but not to the extent of the SEC. 

So, the question remains.  Would Arkansas do better in the SEC or Big 12?  No question it's the Big 12.  They would have more success in the Big 12 not to mention the natural rivalries with the Texas and Oklahoma schools and Missouri and KU/KSU.

Texas/LSU
Oklahoma/Florida
Baylor/Vandy
Texas A&M/Bama
OKIE State/Miss St
KU/Kentucky
KSU/MSU
Colorado/Auburn
Iowa State/Ole Miss
Nebraska/Georgia
Missouri/Ark

Pretty darn close......

Its not [CENSORED] close.  The Little 12 has no depth to it especially in football.  Its easy for your best teams to breeze through your shallow conference unbeaten unlike the SEC.  Stop spewing that crap here.  Mizzou/Ark close? In what? 

Fatty McGee

We belong in the Big 12.  Who cares about depth when finishing in the top of either conference gets you in the BCS? 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

nwarazfan

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 10:20:56 pm
We belong in the Big 12.  Who cares about depth when finishing in the top of either conference gets you in the BCS? 

Not this s*** again.  Why do we belong in the Little 12?

BigoBoys

You are an idiot!  I have lived in Columbia and Misery and the big twelve can't compete with the SEC.  STUPID

HoopS

Oklahoma and Nebraska both made the Nat Title game after gettimed steamrolled in their final games, respectively.  Auburn runs the table and gets left out of the title game just so another undeserving big 12 can get worked. 

Your best team, Texas was lucky to beat us while the S E C teams ate our lunch. 

We were 3-0 vs the big 12 in hoops this year. 

Draw your own conclusions.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 10:23:03 pmNot this s*** again.  Why do we belong in the Little 12?

Because it'd be more convienient for NWA folks, that's why, and that's all.

Frick the Big 12.  We belong in the SEC.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 29, 2006, 10:30:18 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 10:23:03 pmNot this s*** again.  Why do we belong in the Little 12?

[/quoteThe school is in NWA, I live in NWA what does NWA have to do with it?  We own the little 12]

herepiggiepiggie

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 29, 2006, 10:30:18 pm

Fatty McGee

Wake up guys.  The SEC doesn't care about Arkansas.  There are at least 3 teams in the Big 12 that would be bigger rivals for us and care more about beating us than any teams in the SEC.  The money would be the same.  The national title shots would be the same.  The basketball rivalries would be just as intense with KU taking the place of UK.  The baseball is nearly as good, and some years, better.  We'd be able to recruit Texas better. 

Why you guys are so eager for us to have a tougher time at national championships in football, I just don't understand.

BigoBoys

Take a look at our facilities.  There is no way the money will be the same. 

Fatty McGee

Take a look at the revenue produced by the conferences.  It's damn near the same every year.

Our facilities would have been built regardless, because they are largely due to the growth in NW Ark companies. 

And so far, our facilities haven't won us much.

Fatty McGee

Texas has a NC.  What do we have other than a warm fuzzy from being mediocre in a tough conference?

BigoBoys

So we compare with Iowa State, Misery, Kansas, A&M, Baylor, Ok State, Kansas State, Colorado, Texas Tech? Sorry, I don't think so. 

Big Papa Satan

Geographical proximity from that region.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 10:50:11 pm
So we compare with Iowa State, Misery, Kansas, A&M, Baylor, Ok State, Kansas State, Colorado, Texas Tech? Sorry, I don't think so. 

Why not?  Look at the records of ISU, Mizzou, A&M, OSU, KState, CU, and TTech the last few years and look at ours.  See a lot of difference?

nwarazfan

Fatty wants to be (censored) and run away from the SEC to the shallow Little 12 so that we can maybe win more.  F- that.  Get some qualified coaching staffs in here to match the facilities.  Commit to winning in that area.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 10:52:55 pm

Why not?  Look at the records of ISU, Mizzou, A&M, OSU, KState, CU, and TTech the last few years and look at ours.  See a lot of difference?
You must not be from this area. 

BigoBoys

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 29, 2006, 10:50:44 pm
I don't know anyone from the region where the school is that thinks we should be in the little 12

Fatty McGee

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 10:54:04 pm
Fatty wants to be (censored) and run away from the SEC to the shallow Little 12 so that we can maybe win more.  F- that.  Get some qualified coaching staffs in here to match the facilities.  Commit to winning in that area.

Yeah, that's what I said.  You get a D in reading comprehension.  If you want to win, don't you think it would help to be in front of more of the recruits in your recruiting base?  How about play in games where the other team cares if they beat you because you have a long standing history with them?  Or are those things not important?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 10:55:26 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 29, 2006, 10:50:44 pm
I don't know anyone from the region where the school is that thinks we should be in the little 12

You should meet more people then.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 10:54:31 pm

Where are you?  Crazytown?

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 10:57:08 pm

I live where the University of Arkansas is located at.  YOU?

nwarazfan

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 10:58:15 pm

Fatty lives with the fairies. 

Fatty McGee

Same place.  You should get out more. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 10:59:45 pm

Fairies?  What are you?  12?

HoopS

Please explain how or in which ways we do not even compare with the schools you listed. 

HatfieldHog

Mizzouman, or whatever, why do you even bring this up?  There will be no switch of Arkansas to the Big 12.  And BTW, if you want to know why, it's dollars.  The Big 12 and it's TV contracts does not even come close to the dollars that are paid to the SEC.  That, should tell you what the rest of the media thinks about the Big 12.

Get a life,      See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:00:33 pm

You must not be a fan then!

nwarazfan

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:00:55 pm

I bet you sleep with the light on too.  Scared people like you usually do. 

HoopS

I must be misreading this.  Goodnight.

BigHog396

How many times is some idiot going to come on here and rehash this same crap?  As far as your SEC/little 12 school comparisons... give me a break.  One last question... why do you only bring up the last 6 years?  Maybe because the little 12 did absolutely nothing before that.  Maybe because, in basketball, from '94 - '00, the SEC had 8 Final Four teams to 1 for the little 12.  The SEC had 6 National Title game appearances to 0 for the little 12.  Finally, the SEC had 3 National Championships to 0 for the little 12.  Come back and talk when you have a real understanding of the history of the two conferences, not just a little snap shot of the last couple of years.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 11:02:18 pm

Yeah, because I want us to have a better shot at a national championship and play in more rivalry games and improve our recruiting I must not be a fan.  Excellent reasoning.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BigHog396 on April 29, 2006, 11:09:38 pm
How many times is some idiot going to come on here and rehash this same crap?  As far as your SEC/little 12 school comparisons... give me a break.  One last question... why do you only bring up the last 6 years?  Maybe because the little 12 did absolutely nothing before that.  Maybe because, in basketball, from '94 - '00, the SEC had 8 Final Four teams to 1 for the little 12.  The SEC had 6 National Title game appearances to 0 for the little 12.  Finally, the SEC had 3 National Championships to 0 for the little 12.  Come back and talk when you have a real understanding of the history of the two conferences, not just a little snap shot of the last couple of years.

Why do you care about what the conferences do?  Are you rooting for the SEC first, and then Arkansas?

Do you go down to the SEC store and by all the SEC gear? Do you have strong feelings about Mike Slive?

Who the hell cares about the conference as a whole?  I want ARKANSAS to win championships.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 11:03:46 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:00:55 pm

I bet you sleep with the light on too.  Scared people like you usually do. 

You got me.  I'm scared the Hogs might win more.  I'd hate that.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:11:54 pm
Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 11:02:18 pm

Yeah, because I want us to have a better shot at a national championship and play in more rivalry games and improve our recruiting I must not be a fan.  Excellent reasoning.
How does playing in a weaker conference give that team a better shot at winning a NC?  I assume that you must be talking football. 

Fatty McGee

It's not just playing in a weaker conference, - it's hopefully better recruiting as well.

Do I really have to explain to you that if you play more teams you can beat you have a better chance at winning and if you win all your games you have a better shot at the national championship?

BigHog396

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:13:29 pm

Why do you care about what the conferences do?  Are you rooting for the SEC first, and then Arkansas?

Do you go down to the SEC store and by all the SEC gear? Do you have strong feelings about Mike Slive?

Who the hell cares about the conference as a whole?  I want ARKANSAS to win championships.
What the conferences do is what started this entire thread.  Go back and get some reading comprehension skills, and you may be able to figure that one out for yourself.

Where in the heck do you get the idea that I said anything about rooting for the SEC first?  You would have to be a total moron to get that out of my post.  My lord, we were one of the teams winning the titles, and playing in those games.  I want the HOGS to win championships as well, but when it comes to dropping in level of competition to do it... I say NO.  By your logic of not wanting to play with the big boys, why don't we just join the Big East so there is NO competition in football, we ought to make the BCS title game then.

BigoBoys

Quote from: BigHog396 on April 29, 2006, 11:22:35 pm

What the conferences do is what started this entire thread.  Go back and get some reading comprehension skills, and you may be able to figure that one out for yourself.

Where in the heck do you get the idea that I said anything about rooting for the SEC first?  You would have to be a total moron to get that out of my post.  My lord, we were one of the teams winning the titles, and playing in those games.  I want the HOGS to win championships as well, but when it comes to dropping in level of competition to do it... I say NO.  By your logic of not wanting to play with the big boys, why don't we just join the Big East so there is NO competition in football, we ought to make the BCS title game then.
Great Point!  Let's join the Missouri Valley Conference, that might guarantee a NC.

Fatty McGee

Evidently you missed it.  Here was the question, and thus the point, in the original post:  "So, the question remains.  Would Arkansas do better in the SEC or Big 12?"

It appears I comprehended it correctly.

Where in the heck do you get the idea that I said anything about rooting for the SEC first?  You would have to be a total moron to get that out of my post. 

Because all you've done is recite SEC stats.  In fact, you've got a whole post dedicated to them.

My lord, we were one of the teams winning the titles, and playing in those games.

Not in football.

I want the HOGS to win championships as well, but when it comes to dropping in level of competition to do it... I say NO.  By your logic of not wanting to play with the big boys, why don't we just join the Big East so there is NO competition in football, we ought to make the BCS title game then.

Wake up.  No one nationally cares whether you won the Big 12 or the SEC or even the Pac 10 to get to the National Title game.  You're still #1.  No one questioned OU's dominance, USC's dominance, or Texas' dominance when they won their national titles.  They don't put an asterisk next to your name in the record book.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 11:26:08 pm

Great Point!  Let's join the Missouri Valley Conference, that might guarantee a NC.

Yeah, because that's a BCS conference.  That IS a great point!

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:29:15 pm
Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 11:26:08 pm

Yeah, because that's a BCS conference.  That IS a great point!
Don't understand your thiniking.  Your argument is for us to take a step back to the little 12.  Your point is that we could win more in the little 12, therefore the BCS will hand us the NC.  That doesn't make any sense.  Sound like you might bleed burnt orange. 

Fatty McGee

Here, I'll type slower.

1.  You win national championships by winning more games.
2.  As long as you are in a BCS conference, you have an excellent shot at going to the national championship game if you go undefeated in your conference.
3.  We would have a better chance of going undefeated in the Big 12.
4.  If we go undefeated, we have a better chance of going to the national championship game.

This is not difficult logic if you're an Arkansas fan who wants ARKANSAS to do well.

And even from other standpoints it makes sense.  Over the last 6 years, what games have mattered the most to the majority of Arkansas fans?  Games against Texas.  Which hypothetical '08 game are there already threads on here about?  Texas.  Where do Arkansas fans love to travel to?  Dallas, Texas.  So why not play the Texas teams in a game that really does matter?

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 29, 2006, 11:39:49 pm
Here, I'll type slower.

1.  You win national championships by winning more games.
2.  As long as you are in a BCS conference, you have an excellent shot at going to the national championship game if you go undefeated in your conference.
3.  We would have a better chance of going undefeated in the Big 12.
4.  If we go undefeated, we have a better chance of going to the national championship game.

This is not difficult logic if you're an Arkansas fan who wants ARKANSAS to do well.

And even from other standpoints it makes sense.  Over the last 6 years, what games have mattered the most to the majority of Arkansas fans?  Games against Texas.  Which hypothetical '08 game are there already threads on here about?  Texas.  Where do Arkansas fans love to travel to?  Dallas, Texas.  So why not play the Texas teams in a game that really does matter?

I have no problem with playing Texas teams every year, I just don't think that the little 12 is good for us in terms of the entire Athletic Department. 

Fatty McGee

Basketball suffers no loss by playing Kansas, OU, OSU, and Texas as opposed to LSU, 'Bama, Florida, and Kentucky.  In fact, given the proximity and the Sutton connections to OSU, we probably gain another strong rival.  Same with Mizzou now that Anderson is there. 

Baseball doesn't matter as much because it's not really that big a revenue sport, but Texas, OU, and OSU are all pretty good baseball schools.

Total revenue wise, we do about the same.  TV, about the same, just different stations.  Fox, TBS and ABC instead of CBS and JP.

NCGatorBait

Make that 3..UF has been in two NC basketball games during that span.

OklaU

Quote from: hoophogs on April 29, 2006, 10:29:48 pm

Your best team, Texas was lucky to beat us while the S E C teams ate our lunch. 

But let's be real, Arkansas got up more for that game then any other game that season. 
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

OklaU

In any case I always find these conversations comical.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Hollywood_HOGan

I was all against ever joining with the big 12 but I live in tulsa and am kind of partial to the big 12 somewhat.

We would win more games and there would be more opportunity to go see the HOGS play against ou and OSU.
Plus we play Texas every single year. That home game agaisnt Texas was unreal.

The SEC is a much better athletic conference but joining the big 12 would have its advantages.

It will never EVER happen though.

clemensrules01

Texas/LSU
Oklahoma/Florida
Baylor/Vandy
Texas A&M/Bama
OKIE State/Miss St
KU/Kentucky
KSU/MSU
Colorado/Auburn
Iowa State/Ole Miss
Nebraska/Georgia
Missouri/Ark

Pretty darn close......
way to leave out Tennessee.  oh and the comparison between bama and texas a&m is laughable. but it isn't even close to the comparison between colorado and auburn.  and arkansas is better than missouri in every fricken sport there is.