Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Madden's starting spot in jeopardy?

Started by -Blu, December 20, 2012, 09:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

I was very impressed with FG3 tonight, don't think he scored, but his defense is solid and he made good decisions, I think it's safe to say he's our best on ball defender.  Kikko is also a welcomed surprise, if he had Madden's physical attributes we'd be saying goodbye to him after this season because he would be on his way to the league. 

Madden I must say I'm disappointed in, he has the attributes to be a great player, but he just isn't making the right decisions and doesn't look like he's work on his shoot much at all.  At this point in his career he should at least be a solid defender, with a jumpshot, and able to penetrate to the basket with some sort of frequency.  And he really hasn't shown us any of that in 10 games.  Madden's upside far outweighs Kikko's and FG3 but until he puts it together I say stick one of these guys in the starting spot.

johnfanman

i hope so..not impressed and the attitude from high school isn't even there..he needs to pull his head up and show what he can do..he ain't doing it right now, and with his potential. Sorry mom..didn't mean to type ain't!
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

labb

You do know that he was hurt tonight? That is the reason he did not play in the second half.

johnfanman

He just hasn't produced like I thought he would period..maybe it is BJ's shadow, but the attitude the kid had in high school showed he would be more ambitious and cocky..i.e. productive at least on the scoring side..hope he breaks out tho
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

mhuff

I saw he had his warmup on. What happened.

This time rtght now is to show MA who's listening and who's not. You go into the game with the idea of making something happen; you earn more PT. You gotta play defense. You have to play smart. You can tell who's got it and doing it; they're on the floor. The rest are on the bench. He's looking for 9 or 10 players he can depend on.

Hou-Hog

Quote from: labb on December 20, 2012, 10:07:43 pm
You do know that he was hurt tonight? That is the reason he did not play in the second half.
Does not change the comment.  He does not run the offense smoothly or efficiently yet.

LittleRockHog

I don't care what he was... We look better with him watching from the sidelines... He's gonna have to put his big boy pants on if he wants to play...

The_Iceman

He has lost all of the confidence and swagger that made his a 4-star player.

If he ever gets that back, he has all the talent/skill/ability to be a good player for us.

1Hog1/2Ham

Quote from: LittleRockHog on December 21, 2012, 07:54:23 am
I don't care what he was... We look better with him watching from the sidelines... He's gonna have to put his big boy pants on if he wants to play...
Have you informed Coach Anderson yet? If so what was his response?

Dogtown Donkey

I don't think that really changes anything. Walk-ons are starting to prove better fits at the PG spot.

I've supported the guy as much as anyone, but he just hasn't stepped up despite being given a fairly long leash. We have to win ball games, bottom line. Other players give the team a better chance to do that.

Hawg94

Madden may just not be a good fit for the program. I saw him play in high school and I never thought he was a 4 star caliber player. He played against small schools and really never was challenged much at all. I hope the best for him and if that means a transfer, then so be it.

Sawyer

Quote from: Hawg94 on December 21, 2012, 10:28:25 am
Madden may just not be a good fit for the program. I saw him play in high school and I never thought he was a 4 star caliber player. He played against small schools and really never was challenged much at all. I hope the best for him and if that means a transfer, then so be it.

Anderson has passed on talented and highly rated players before because he believed they weren't the right fit.

Sometimes that was the right call (George Goode from KC, top 100 recruit, signed with Louisville; Anderson instead brought the unheralded Justin Safford to Mizzou in that class, and he ended up much better).

Others, it ended up a clear mistake (passed on Alec Burks in KC because he questioned his effort; he would've been an exceptional player under Anderson, arguably better than any he's ever coached). BJ Young is another he passed on, though I think that was more about a fit with the team he had at MU and not a fit within Anderson's style overall.

I don't know a lot about Madden's history, but from what I've gathered, he sounds like he might've been one Anderson had let go.

cmiller01

Start gulley in his place and let him come of the bench as the sixth man.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: cmiller01 on December 22, 2012, 03:24:08 am
Start gulley in his place and let him come of the bench as the sixth man.

co-sign. I think madden could flourish as a spark blug off the bench.
second, i wanna talk about Gulley. How impressive has this guy been. Not only does he play good defense, he's tremendous athletically and handles the rock exceptionally well. When him and young were on the floor together i though we were much stronger as a team. I'm madden's biggest fan and i don't wanna see him get benched, because he's played some decent ball. He's progressing much better as a shooter. Wouldn't be surprised if he went on a midseason scoring tear, but it's just as likely we see him dissapear. Haters gona hate on him all day long. But i summon Jimmy Dykes when i say it's time for him to show some intestinal fortitude and stuff or get off the pot. There's a great player in him, we see the flashes but he flinches to much. Can't say i blame him. when your athletic but a streaky shooter it can be tough some times. I'm praying he's able to put it together. we could really use another scoring threat. I'll wait one more game before i pass my judgement on Ky. Afterall he's living the life i could only dream about, playing for the hogs :razorback:

Speedracer

Madden just isn't very good.  Maybe his size and competiviness made him good in high school, but at the college level he simply just doesn't have the skill set
Like smites bother me.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Speedracer on December 22, 2012, 06:39:42 am
Madden just isn't very good.  Maybe his size and competiviness made him good in high school, but at the college level he simply just doesn't have the skill set
I disagree. He is a tremendous talent, albeit he is raw and undisciplined. He shows flashes of being a great player. He can handle the ball effectively. He has picture perfect shooting form. Honestly he reminds me so much of Kobe Bryant the way he shoots, who Ironically had the same problem shooting as Ky does. If he starts taking more jump shots and makes enough gain his confidence back, he could make the NBA. Pay more attention to him shooting and you will understand just how high Ky's ceiling really is.

Kevin

Serious question, what does he do well?

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Swinesong1

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2012, 07:55:54 am

his shooting form is picture perfect. when he misses they are alot of narrow misses.

cardsNhogs

Kevin

If that is the case why does he play like a slasher

When struggling go back to the one thing you do well

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2012, 08:08:07 am
If that is the case why does he play like a slasher

When struggling go back to the one thing you do well

see my OP..

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2012, 07:55:54 am

His strength in high school was a pull up mid range jumper.

I don't know why he has abandoned it...

WhiteHairedDevil

I'll go ahead and say it.  He's a BUST!

dsims2k3

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on December 22, 2012, 08:23:24 am

I don't believe Madden is mature enough yet. He doesn't seem to  be adapting well to not being the best player on the team, thus not knowing where to fit in.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

dsims2k3

I honestly think he would be a totally different player if he knew he was THAT guy.

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: dsims2k3 on December 22, 2012, 08:34:40 am
I honestly think he would be a totally different player if he knew he was THAT guy.
x2

Kevin

He needs individual offensive skill work,
Jab series, shot fakes, different pivots to get to mid range
Just being better than everyone else is over

This is the struggle all players face at some time. When it become a skill game not an athletic game

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2012, 08:44:47 am

This is the struggle all players face at some time. When it become a skill game not an athletic game
+1 well said

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

dsims2k3

That is so true. That's what separates very good from the great players. He has the physical gifts, but he has to have the DESIRE. Dude should be a gym rat and between time studying film. He needs to find his role. Better yet, he could take a lesson from Kikko. 

PorkRyan

agreed

Speedracer

December 22, 2012, 12:20:33 pm #33 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:51:48 pm by Speedracer
Quote from: The Pig of destiny on December 22, 2012, 06:50:41 am
I disagree. He is a tremendous talent, albeit he is raw and undisciplined. He shows flashes of being a great player. He can handle the ball effectively. He has picture perfect shooting form. Honestly he reminds me so much of Kobe Bryant the way he shoots, who Ironically had the same problem shooting as Ky does. If he starts taking more jump shots and makes enough gain his confidence back, he could make the NBA. Pay more attention to him shooting and you will understand just how high Ky's ceiling really is.

He's 3 of 10 on three pointers so I'll go with your "Kobe shooting theory"...but he's 11-18 on free throws.  Free throws is all about muscle memory and mechanics.  If he had great mechanics he'd be hitting his free throws like  Kobe that is a CAREER 80+% free throw shooter.  Pay attention to his shot?? That's exactly what I'm doing.

Kobe is a flat out scorer which madden is not.  Kobe is just under 40% 3 point shooter and that's with the best defensive players the NBA has to offer chasing him.  Madden can't hit from wide open

Like smites bother me.

sunalmighty79

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on December 22, 2012, 08:23:24 am
LOL, people are seeing the light. I've been saying this since ...........  Fill in the blank. Scott AND Madden need to be excommunicated. Bj AND Marshawn need ANOTHER year of college ball. Talented but there is work that needs to be completed. Oh yea, Madden is a BUST!

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Speedracer on December 22, 2012, 12:20:33 pm
He's 3 of 10 on three pointers so I'll go with your "Kobe shooting theory"...but he's 11-18 on free throws.  Free throws is all about muscle memory and mechanics.  If he had great mechanics he'd be hitting his free throws like  Kobe that is a CAREER 80+% free throw shooter.  Pay attention to his shot?? That's exactly what I'm doing.

Kobe is a flat out scorer which madden is not.  Kobe is just under 40% 3 point shooter and that's with the best defensive players the NBA has to offer chasing him.  Madden can't hit from wide open

jumpshot form and shot mechanics aren't the same thing.

Speedracer

December 22, 2012, 07:19:20 pm #36 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:37:02 pm by Speedracer
Quote from: The Pig of destiny on December 22, 2012, 05:15:45 pm
jumpshot form and shot mechanics aren't the same thing.

Mechanics are mechanics.  Elbow, wrist and legs are involved on both trust me.  Ask Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Kobe Bryant.  What I'm pointing out is he can't shoot regardless where he's releasing the ball from. And seriously, you are trying to compare Kobe freaking Bryant to Ky Mandden.  That's laughable.  Ky Madden will not even be playing D-league let alone NBA
Like smites bother me.

pigture perfect

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on December 22, 2012, 08:03:15 am
his shooting form is picture perfect. when he misses they are alot of narrow misses.
Yes I did teach him every thing he knows.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Speedracer on December 22, 2012, 07:19:20 pm
Mechanics are mechanics.  Elbow, wrist and legs are involved on both trust me.  Ask Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Kobe Bryant.  What I'm pointing out is he can't shoot regardless where he's releasing the ball from. And seriously, you are trying to compare Kobe freaking Bryant to Ky Mandden.  That's laughable.  Ky Madden will not even be playing D-league let alone NBA
correct me if i'm wrong but mechanics have to do with the elbow wrist and legs, but form has to do with the angle at which you release the ball and the trajectory of your shot. I'm no expert but somebody has been working with him on his shot. i don't give a crap about mechanics. Some of the best shooters ever had terrible mechanics. It's the release point and angle at which the shot is released in combination with the mechanics that makes up a persons form. Mechanics are not the end all be all. See BJ young.See Michael Jordan. See tracy mcgrady

iluvmyslute89

adtnal info
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-technique.html

you see that beautiful 3 madden just made. picture perfect. i know what i am talking about. its not exactly rocket science

Smithian

PORKULATOR

CMA sees a lot in him and I trust our judement less than his.That said, I like Gulley starting over him. His d intelligence is the best on the team.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BigSexyHog

Lots of idiots in jump ball these days.  Madden is far from a bust but once again hogville finds something to *itch about.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

iluvmyslute89

Kevin

mechanics of the shot is includes everything to me.
BEEF
Balance
Eyes
Elbow
Follow through

hands & hip move together during the shot, elbow should end above & in front of the eyebrow, index finger dropping in the rim.