Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone catch Townes shoving Brewer in the 2nd half?

Started by Boarcephus, February 20, 2006, 07:54:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Maybe some people at the game caught it but I haven't seen it mentioned here before.  Found this article by Scott Cain and Rob Keys in the demozette this am.  All I can say is where is Sullivan when you really need him?

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas forward Darian Townes pushed guard Ronnie Brewer in the second half of Saturday's game, but the incident wasn't as bad as it looked, Coach Stan Heath said Sunday.
   The push happened with 9:17 to play in front of the Arkansas bench while both teams were setting up for Vincent Hunter to shoot free throws.
   Heath said he didn't see what happened but that he talked to both players and was satisfied there is no bad blood.
   Townes told Heath that Brewer had become emotional and he was trying to calm Brewer down. Brewer told Heath he was trying to tell Townes that Townes "needed to do something" on the previous play and that Townes didn't listen and "got hot," Heath said.
   "The main thing for me is to make sure chemistry-wise guys aren't fighting or mad," Heath said. "Both assured me that's far from the truth."
   Brewer downplayed the incident after the game.
   "We have a rule where a younger guy is supposed to listen to an older guy if he's trying to tell him something," Brewer said. "But he was just in the flow of the game. That stuff happens in basketball. It's not personal."
   Townes was not among the players brought out for interviews after the game.

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

idochog

"We have a rule where a younger guy is supposed to listen to an older guy if he's trying to tell him something," Brewer said. "But he was just in the flow of the game.

I think it was obvious he wasnt in the flow of the game.  He dropped several awesome entry passes and misses some point blank layups that were wide open.
I love Jesus!

Tater Salad

February 20, 2006, 08:00:34 am #2 Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:10:30 am by Tater Salad
"The main thing for me is to make sure chemistry-wise guys aren't fighting or mad," Heath said. "Both assured me that's far from the truth."

Heath is naive  ::)

jkstock04

This morning is the first I've heard of the incident...concerning Townes it doesn't surprise me.  What do you think Nolan Richardson would have done with a guy that acts like he does???  LOL....
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

idochog

Quote from: Tater Salad on February 20, 2006, 08:00:34 am
“The main thing for me is to make sure chemistry-wise guys aren’t fighting or mad,” Heath said. “Both assured me that’s far from the truth.”

Heath is naive

I get the impression the only reason Ronnie Thompson is on staff is to babysit Townes.
I love Jesus!

brooks74

Townes needs to be dismissed from the team.  He is a sulker and an attitude problem who has talent, but is wasting it and becoming a cancer for this team.  He doesn't hustle, he doesn't play defense and he gets outrebounded by guards. 

Boarcephus

For all the hoopla that Townes came with out of highschool he's been a little disapponting.  He has fine offensive skills but for a guy who broke Mournings highschool shot block record he certainly appears timid and even weak on defense.  Throw in the fact he's got "quit and pouty" written all over him and I can see why Sullivan jacked him.  If Steven Hill just had a little bit of offense in him we'd never see Townes except to give Hill a rest.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hoop

Agreed boar, Townes is the biggest baby to ever wear the jersey. I hate when he makes a basket, and he runs down the court thinking hes the shitte.
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

hogsanity

TOwnes and Darnell Robinson are alot a like.  Both had NBA bodies, and no clue how to use them, and really apparently no desire to learn how.  TOwnes gets the ball inside and drops it to his ankles to try to go up.  That one awesome pass Sat he is going to dunk it, drops it so low that he kicked it out of his own hands.  I can only imagine how big headed he would have gotten had he actually thrown one down. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HaWg 10

I was at the game, i didn't see them pushing, but they were yelling at each other pretty good.
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Rashard Sullivan?  I think I missed something...

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: Bania on February 20, 2006, 08:22:12 am
Agreed boar, Townes is the biggest baby to ever wear the jersey. I hate when he makes a basket, and he runs down the court thinking hes the shitte.

That statement could and should be more for Charles Thomas. He's the one that yells and pumps his chest EVERY TIME he makes a basket. Darian does a few times, but a LOT less. Now, I know everybody loves Charles, and so do I, but that's the truth.

If yall really want to get rid of Townes, be careful what you wish for. Steven Hill, Charles Thomas and Vincent Hunter ain't the best 3 man rotation down low. Vincent had a very nice game Saturday, but those have been VERY few and far between. He also would easily get pushed around in the blocks and would not be able to be much of any presence down there, defending or rebounding(Townes had 7 rebounds Saturday btw, tied for most in the game). Hill doesn't have near the offense that Darian has.

Anyways, like people have said about potential coaches around here, I don't care what they do off the field(short of rape, pillage and murder), I don't care if they're complete a$$holes, I just want to win. So, IMO, Darian can pout all he wants(and he does). But if yall have noticed, Stan's been playing him far less lately, so maybe Stan is tired of it as well.

musiccityhog

Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

hogmary

Darnell Robinson helped us win a national championship. 
Charles Thomas may celebrate, but he gives it his all every minute of the game.  I am sure that he is one of the couple of players Brewer was referring to when he mentioned seeing the desire to win in their eyes before Saturday.

Hoop

Townes acts like he just fricked Angelina Jolie after he makes a fricking layup. Thomas works his arse off when hes in the game, so therefore he has every right to think hes the shitte.
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

Donald Miller

Did anyone ever consider that Brewer may actually be a difficult teammate?

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Bania on February 20, 2006, 10:10:38 am
Townes acts like he just fricked Angelina Jolie after he makes a fricking layup. Thomas works his arse off when hes in the game, so therefore he has every right to think hes the shitte.

In my mind, that makes you the shiite
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: brooks74 on February 20, 2006, 08:10:42 am
Townes needs to be dismissed from the team.  He is a sulker and an attitude problem who has talent, but is wasting it and becoming a cancer for this team.  He doesn't hustle, he doesn't play defense and he gets outrebounded by guards. 

Wow....IMO calling Townes a cancer for the team is a bit extreme.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Smithian

Guys, this is not our decision to make on what to do with those boys who bicker...

It is Ramona Heath's.

hogfancb

I watched the play again on my DVR.  Brewer was yelling at Townes because he didn't pass him the ball on the post with the small white kid covering him. Brewer was throwing his hands up screaming for the ball.   Townes passed it to Hunter instead of Brewer.  I never saw the push on the TV but did see Townes arguing with Brewer while lining up on the block for the free throws.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: Bania on February 20, 2006, 10:10:38 am

Townes got 7 rebounds Saturday which was tied for the most on the team, against a very tough UF frontcourt, I imagine he had to work pretty hard to do that.

othermac

i saw townes giving his all when the game was on the line. i think that was the first time i had seen our guys really giving it up, so maybe just maybe, that win got them on the same page and we can see them working together more than not in the coming games.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

wishyjoshy

Quote from: hogmary on February 20, 2006, 10:01:48 am
Darnell Robinson helped us win a national championship. 

Depends on what you mean by "helped."  I wouldn't say that he was much of a contributor.  Townes is as much of a dissappointment as Darnell and Lee Wilson.

Townes got 7 rebounds Saturday which was tied for the most on the team, against a very tough UF frontcourt, I imagine he had to work pretty hard to do that.

When a guy of his ability gets seven rebounds and that is his best performance, that isn't saying too much.  If Thomas was 6'11" he would average a double-double.  Blame it on a thyroid or whatever, but Townes is LAZY!!!  I couldn't stand to play with guys like that.  
Somebody needs to get him a Red Bull.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: othermac on February 20, 2006, 11:21:58 am
i saw townes giving his all when the game was on the line. i think that was the first time i had seen our guys really giving it up, so maybe just maybe, that win got them on the same page and we can see them working together more than not in the coming games.

Yeah, but he could have stopped us from going into overtime if he just would have slammed it down on that one play intead of trying to be fancy and going under the basket.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: JFen on February 20, 2006, 11:33:03 am

When a guy of his ability gets seven rebounds and that is his best performance, that isn't saying too much.  If Thomas was 6'11" he would average a double-double.  Blame it on a thyroid or whatever, but Townes is LAZY!!!  I couldn't stand to play with guys like that. 
Somebody needs to get him a Red Bull.

Who said that was his best performance? He's gotten more than 7 boards several times this season. I said he tied for most rebounds in THAT game on our team. And he did it with only 19 minutes in the game, less than Thomas or Hill, who both played 28 minutes and got 3 and 4 rebounds each.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: Short and Stout on February 20, 2006, 11:35:51 am

Yeah, but he could have stopped us from going into overtime if he just would have slammed it down on that one play intead of trying to be fancy and going under the basket.

If we also hadn't been horrible at the line for most of the game, we wouldn't have to go to OT either.

wishyjoshy

The rebound issue that you speak of is true, but I can't get the airball on the layup and the awesome pass from McCurdy out of my mind.  There were other plays in this game and other games as well that just make you say, "Where the hell is this guy's head?"  My point is that he, like Robinson and Wilson (and the reference that I use all the time - Chris Webber) are underacheivers.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on February 20, 2006, 11:39:09 am

If we also hadn't been horrible at the line for most of the game, we wouldn't have to go to OT either.

True, but its a lot easier to throw down a dunk 1 foot from the basket than it is to make a FT.

twistitup

wish brewer would of hit townes in the f**king eye!! townes acts like a punk- a punk that was out throwing snowballs at 3:00am the night before the game. townes- get your head out of your a** or leave!!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hoop

February 20, 2006, 11:54:29 am #30 Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:56:11 am by Bania
Quote from: twistitup on February 20, 2006, 11:51:15 am
wish brewer would of hit townes in the f**king eye!! townes acts like a punk- a punk that was out throwing snowballs at 3:00am the night before the game. townes- get your head out of your a** or leave!!
:D

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Short and Stout on February 20, 2006, 11:47:34 am

True, but its a lot easier to throw down a dunk 1 foot from the basket than it is to make a FT.

as long as you are 6' 11",  but for me, I would have a much easier time at the FT line than I would dunking it, unless townes gave me a boost up to the rim
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: JFen on February 20, 2006, 11:43:34 am
The rebound issue that you speak of is true, but I can't get the airball on the layup and the awesome pass from McCurdy out of my mind.  There were other plays in this game and other games as well that just make you say, "Where the hell is this guy's head?"  My point is that he, like Robinson and Wilson (and the reference that I use all the time - Chris Webber) are underacheivers.

The missed dunk/layup was inexcusable. There's no doubt he should have finished. It was a mistake, no way around it.

However, the next play was a pass from McCurdy, and I've watched that play several times, and it wasn't the greatest of passes. It was a bounce pass with McCurdy about 3 feet away from Townes, meaning when it got to Darian it was below his waist. It was also a very hard pass from very close.

It was a potentially great play, it was a tough play, but saying it was completely his fault is wrong IMO.

I think Darian does have a few attitude issues, but kicking him off the team would be a mistake. I'd like to see us go against LSU, Bama and UF's big men, with Vincent Hunter, Steven Hill and Charles Thomas. You think Hunter is going to back down Glen Davis in the lane, or anyone for that matter. Thomas is the only one of those 3 with offensive skills and the physique needed.

twistitup

Maybe not kicked off the team yet, but a punch in the eye might get his attention.

A player should respect his teammates enough to not lay his hands on them, especially when they are tying to help. Townes may truly be uncoachable- he has turned his back on heath multiple times while being spoken to- I WOULD NOT TOLERATE THIS. Either respect the coach/team or hit the damn road. It is a privilege to be a HOG- Townes does not seem to feel this way.

wishyjoshy

Maybe Heath could kick him in the shins while Townes is pouting on the bench, head butt him, or something.  I don't say this because I dislike him, but because I expect SO much more out of him.  Slap'em around!!!

twistitup

jfen you da man +1

we need more effort- a good head butt couldnt hurt the situation.

Hoop

Does anyone think that Townes gives a shitte about playing for the Razorbacks? Seems to me every game he has some kind of issue with a coach or player. Hell I would give my left nutt to play for the hogs, especially with the talent he has.

twistitup

I'll promise he does not care about being a hog- just a big party to him! he is a never ending staph infection for the b-ball program.

by the way

I'd give my right nutt & a houston nutt refrigerator magnet- to be a hog!

NATEHOGG216

ive got a magnet too.  Is that all it takes to be on the team

hogsrock

"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

RivercrestHog

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 20, 2006, 11:55:23 am
Quote from: Short and Stout on February 20, 2006, 11:47:34 am

as long as you are 6' 11",  but for me, I would have a much easier time at the FT line than I would dunking it, unless townes gave me a boost up to the rim

My point exactly, Townes is tall enough so he should just throw it down. If you had the ball in that situation even if you couldn't dunk what would you do, would you try and lay it up on the other side of the rim or go for one of the easiest shots in the world?

Fatty McGee

Darnell Robinson had the great misfortune to spend his latter years here after Nolan quit coaching. He should have been much better, but was never put in a position to be.

He did, however, have a big role in the '94 and '95 seasons.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

wishyjoshy

Was never put into the position to be better?  Hell if the coaches in the NBA couldn't do anything with him, then what excuse is there?

shoatleg 51

Maybe they should check Darian for nose polyps.   :D

fineswine

Credit Brewer for being politically correct.  When he makes reference to "flow of the game", I can only assume he means Townes' game "flowing" down the toilet towards the sewer.  I haven't a clue why this guy can't get his head out.

razorback3072

Quote from: Donald Miller on February 20, 2006, 10:29:10 am
Did anyone ever consider that Brewer may actually be a difficult teammate?

No.  I think he is doing what we've all been screaming for him to do and that is to become a leader.  Seemed like he was trying to do that and the big baby(Townes) got his feelings hurt.  If he would man up on the floor for 40 minutes like he tries to against Brewer and Heath, nobody would be complaining about Townes.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

WestMemphisHogFan

I love Thomas' enthusiasm for the game.  Reminds me of Joe Kleine and Scott Hastings when they would make a big play.  They would jump, holler, beat their chests, etc.  Brought excitement and you could see their great love for the game and their team.  Keep it up Thomas!

Hawgballer

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 20, 2006, 11:17:13 am
Quote from: idochog on February 20, 2006, 07:56:54 am
I think it was obvious he wasnt in the flow of the game.  He dropped several awesome entry passes and misses some point blank layups that were wide open.

I've contended for some on this board that he does this every game he enters.  A poster said they saw him out at 3AM the night before the game.  That might explain it. 

You also mentioned Ronny being his babysitter in a later post.  Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner but at least his wife calls the hogs (or I think that's her).

Townes has always misshandled passes....he's just got skillet hands.

Kevin

out till 3 am. that tell you the respect or lack thereof townes has for his teammates, coaches and university.  if he was indeed out till 3 am and the coaches knew it and he played fire them.  if they didn't know, fire them for not doing their jobs.  no wonder these guys cannot function after their careers are over.  getting their butts kissed.

the heck with this basketball program.  i am moving on to baseball.  you think dvh would put up with this crap.  i am rooting for a program of respect.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

toshortrock

lets fight,hell,thats what we use to do when we had the old softball team together,if we weren;t playing good,hell we would go to the outfield and fight it out,came back mad as hell and kick some ass,,maybe we need a fighter
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////