Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC East Football Recruiting Battles heat up

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 06:56:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks Dec 28

South Pointe's Chris Smith sticking with Gamecocks http://scne.ws/D75FnG 

QuoteLast week, however, new USC coach Will Muschamp passed along the disappointing news to Smith that because of needs and numbers, he wouldn't be able to enroll early. Smith indicated he would consider other schools that had a midyear opening available.

Muschamp made it clear to Smith that the offer for signing in February was still good if he wanted to keep it. Keep it, he will.

South Pointe coach Strait Herron said Sunday night Smith has decided to stay with the Gamecocks and will sign in February.

"Muschamp has called on several occasions reassuring Chris that they want him at South Carolina," Herron said. "There is still an opportunity for him to be able to enroll mid-year, it just depends on other guys they have offered."

Smith is one of two defensive backs currently committed in the 2016 class.

The numbers will work out for Muschamp.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kobe Jones ‏@IAmKobeJones 5h5 hours ago

I have received my 16th offer from Missouri! #MizzouTigers
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 55m55 minutes ago

Arkansas lands commitment from elite RB, one-time Georgia pledge http://sec.news/1OA7mjD

QuoteDevwah Whaley's recruitment has been anything but static in recent months, but it came to a close on Saturday.

The four-star running back, who de-committed from Georgia in early December, announced his verbal commitment to Arkansas during the annual Under Armour All-America Game in Orlando, Fla., where several of the country's top recruits have been gathered in recent days.

Whaley, the No. 4 running back in the country, spurned Texas and the Bulldogs in the process.

jbcarol

Justin Wagner
‏@jwag718
BREAKING NEWS: Cavin Ridley has told me he is committing to SOUTH CAROLINA. Video coming up in minutes @TDAlabama

4-star WR

jbcarol

Cavin Ridley made a splash when he committed to South Carolina at the Under Armour All-America game on Saturday.

Now that the water has cleared, Ridley may be having second thoughts.

The 4-star wide receiver tweeted out Monday that he is de-committing from the Gamecocks and needs further time to reconsider his recruitment.

Quote"The process of choosing which college to attend has been very, very stressful and challenging for me. My situation was made even more difficult because there were major coaching changes in all my finalists. I've decided that I need more time to make this extremely critical decision about my future" Ridley wrote.

"If I'm able to make a solid decision before the spring semester starts I will, if not I will consider giving up my early enrollee status to gather more information to aide me in my decision. I would like to truly apologize to the South Carolina coaches and fans and just pray that you guys understand what I am going through."

Ridley chose South Carolina over Alabama just two days ago. It came as a bit of a head-scratcher as Ridley's older brother, ...

jbcarol

R2
‏@RidleyCa

In regards to my college decision

jbcarol

Florida's '16 class:

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi Jan 3

Zach Abolverdi Retweeted David

He told me they would sign 28-30 recruits.

Burnett, Franks, Forsythe, Gardner, Hammond, Massey, Pineiro, Reese, Smith, Swain, Thompson and Trask. [mid-year enrollees]

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/King_Kongbo/status/684184638353358848

Ryan Callahan ‏@RyanCallahan247 Jan 4

Ryan Callahan Retweeted Jonathan Kongbo III

Another big offer tonight for [Former] #Vols juco DE commit.

jbcarol

With the recent transfers and early departures for the NFL draft, UF currently has 29 scholarships available for 2016, excluding walk-ons. One of those goes to graduate transfer quarterback Austin Appleby.

Florida still has two juniors considering the NFL and a few transfer candidates, so the Gators should have room for the 28-30 recruits Jim McElwain told me he plans to sign in this class.

Making the numbers work:

QuoteWhich WR do we have the best chance to land: Nate-Craig Myers, Sam Bruce, Tyrie Cleveland, Tre Nixon, Eli Stove or Binjimen Victor?

Florida's wide receiver board in this cycle is a prime example of how fluid recruiting can be.

Two of UF's mid-year enrollees, Dre Massey and Freddie Swain, weren't even on the radar back in the summer. Also during that time, Bruce and Victor were seemingly Florida's to lose, Craig-Myers looked like a long shot and Nixon had dropped the Gators from his list of favorites.

I didn't bother to mention Cleveland, a Houston commit.

After speaking with four of those aforementioned receivers during Under Armour week, I feel differently about some of them. As of now, and I can't stress that enough given how often things change this time of year, I currently think Craig-Myers (see update) is going to re-commit to Auburn and Stove will flip to Florida (see update).

UF also has a legitimate chance with Cleveland (see update), while the recruitments of Nixon and Victor are up in the air.

Here's how I would rank the remaining targets in order of most likely to commit to the Gators:

Eli Stove (Auburn commit)
    Nate Craig-Myers
    Tyrie Cleveland (Houston commit)
    Tre Nixon
    Binjimen Victor
    Sam Bruce (Miami commit)

With the loss of Jeremi Powell, what is the order of priority at LB?

Gators always aimed to take four linebackers in this class, even more so now with Powell leaving the football team.

Florida has three commits in Vosean Joseph, Jeremiah Moon and David Reese, an early enrollee. The top target is Lyndell Wilson, who conceded to SEC Country last week that UF isn't actually his No. 1 school ...

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 13h13 hours ago

#STRecruiting: WR Kiel Pollard will take close look at USC this month http://goo.gl/fb/41dQ1Z

QuotePollard has been talking with new Gamecock receivers coach Bryan McClendon and will take an official visit with the Gamecocks January 15th. He has already taken his official visit to Arkansas.  He's not planning any other visits at this point.

"Coach Muschamp, I think he's a good guy and it's South Carolina, the history of the school, and the SEC, so I'm going to take an official visit," Pollard said. "It's a school I feel about so I'm going to take an official visit."

Pollard said his commitment to Arkansas remains in place right now and the Razorbacks continue to recruit him hard.  Pollard said he has no timetable for making his decision after the USC visit.

Pollard was the 6A offensive player of the year in Georgia this past season after totaling 76 catches for 1163 yards and 18 touchdowns.

jbcarol

Drew Champlin ‏@DrewChamplin 30m30 minutes ago

Calvin Ridley's younger brother will play for Kirby Smart at Georgia http://s.al.com/SzFPmkm  via @aldotcom

QuoteThe younger brother of Alabama record-setting receiver Calvin Ridley committed to one of the Crimson Tide's SEC East rivals.

Cavin Ridley, who may go by Riley Ridley in college, announced his intentions to enroll at Georgia while on a visit to the school Thursday. He'll play for former Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, who is now the school's head coach.

Cavin Ridley is a four-star receiver from Deerfield Beach, Fla. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Ridley committed to South Carolina following Saturday's Under Armour All-America game in Orlando, but decommitted two days later.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 13h13 hours ago

#STRecruiting: RB Rico Dowdle makes his commitment to USC http://goo.gl/fb/LB4FIZ

3-star from Asheville AC Reynolds

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 59m59 minutes ago

#STRecruiting: Byrnes WR Chavis Dawkins commits to USC http://goo.gl/fb/XV0RVs

'16 6-3 3-star

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 1h1 hour ago

BREAKING: Nation's No. 1 tight end stays home to play for UGA http://sec.news/1OYrtbo

5-star Isaac Nauta from IMG, 247's #9 player overall in the '16 class

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  2h2 hours ago Orlando, FL
UF 2016 QB commit Feleiple Franks, 1-7, 2 interceptions at US Army All-American bowl. Looks like there's lots of work ahead.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 49m49 minutes ago

Big-play receiver says he's now only "75 percent" committed to UGA http://sec.news/1P3TNsR

QuoteRandrecous Davis has a red "G" tattoo on his left bicep and is committed to UGA. The 3-star wide receiver told DawgNation he's 75 percent committed to UGA now. The other 25 percent would be to former UGA coach Mark Richt's new team in Miami.

He tweeted out "UGA or Miami?" on Saturday morning. He'd yet to hear from UGA in 2016

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 1h1 hour ago

SportsTalk Retweeted Wes Mitchell

#STRecruiting:  Louisville commitment QB Tylin Oden reportedly sets official visit with USC for this weekend.

3-star from Columbia Spring Hill, #15 in SC.

jbcarol

Devonta Smith ‏@Smityyy03 18h18 hours ago

I'm officially decommitting from the University of Georgia

4-star '17 Amite WR

jbcarol

Bulldogs and the Crimson Tide are rolling up their sleeves for a stretch run recruiting battle for the following additional major Class of 2016 targets: Mecole Hardman, Jr., Derrick Brown, Ben Davis, Hardman, Jr., Michail Carter, Tyler Simmons and Lyndell "Mack" Wilson

QuoteElbert County 5-star athlete Mecole Hardman, Jr. is rated as the nation's No. 1 recruit.

He'd told DawgNation that UGA coach Mel Tucker will visit him on Thursday. Alabama will also be there, too. Except the Crimson Tide are bringing in the closer. Alabama coach Nick Saban will use his only in-home visit for Hardman's recruitment on Day 1 of the stretch run to signing day.

jbcarol

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Jaleel Laguins has been committed to UGA for five months, but he's taking a second look at two SEC schools due to the coaching change in Athens.

This weekend the four-star linebacker from Watkinsville (Ga.) Oconee County officially visited Florida

Quote"When (Will) Muschamp was the head coach they had their struggles and they were in a slump. When (Jim) McElwain came in, he got the program to do a complete turnaround. What they're starting at Florida is special, and you always want to be part of something like that."

Laguins' host was UF junior linebacker Jarrad Davis, a Georgia native and former Auburn commit who made a late switch to the Gators.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder will officially visit Alabama next weekend and Georgia on Jan. 29. His determining factor is finding the school he's most comfortable at, and he said UF fits the bill.

"I have to see what else is out there just in case I don't like the coaching staff (at Georgia)," Laguins said. "So ultimately, I want to have a plan B in my back pocket so I'm not stuck on signing day with nowhere to go."

jbcarol

ABH Sports ‏@abhsports Jan 16

Kirby Smart, recruits, Evander Holyfield take in Georgia hoops game Saturday

jbcarol

SportsTalk Retweeted TJ Brunson

#STRecruiting:  LB TJ Brunson of RNE commits to USC.

Gamecocks land Shrine Bowl MVP Brunson http://goo.gl/fb/37OzgF

3-star ILB from Columbia Richland NE

Matt Connolly ‏@MattatTheState 36m36 minutes ago Spartanburg, SC

When Will Muschamp took over South Carolina was in the 70s in the 247Sports recruiting class rankings. Gamecocks are currently No. 29.

SB Nation Recruiting ‏@SBNRecruiting 49m49 minutes ago

6 weeks later, Muschamp's Gamecocks have gone from zero top-25 players in state to six. 

jbcarol

Vandy got verbals from two '16 WRs:

NOLA Jesuit 3-star Kalija Lipscomb and Jackson Winrow, unrated from Shawnee, OK

jbcarol

4-star Ft. Lauderdale Coconut Creek WR Binjimen Victor gave a verbal to Ohio State over Tennessee, West Virginia, maybe Florida, et al.

BVIC
‼️
9⃣
〽️
‏@BinjimenVictor

Blessed ‼️‼️

Better pack a winter coat.

jbcarol

Richard Davenport ‏@ArRecruitingGuy  2h2 hours ago
Hearing Little Rock Christian and #BoiseState running back commitment .@DamareaCrockett has received an offer from #Missouri.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 13m13 minutes ago

Tennessee and Georgia face off for all-important official visit http://sec.news/1nnz6Cy

QuoteVols and Bulldogs continue to battle to secure the final official visit from Landon Dickerson, the four-star offensive tackle from South Caldwell High School (Hudson, N.C.).

Dickerson is the No. 4 offensive tackle in the nation and the No. 2 overall prospect in North Carolina. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound prospect told SEC Country that he has six finalists. Among that group, only Tennessee and Georgia have failed to secure an official visit.

The Bulldogs once seemed a lock to nail down an official visit and, perhaps even, Dickerson's commitment. Then, things changed drastically when Georgia fired Mark Richt. Now, newly hired coach Kirby Smart is in charge, meaning the Bulldogs' recruitment of Dickerson is very much in limbo.

"I think it's going to be a quality program," Dickerson said. "I like the people there. I haven't been able to talk to coach Smart in person, so hopefully I can do that sometime."

jbcarol

UGA has lost another member of its 2016 recruiting class.

Aaron Dowdell, a 3-star guard on the offensive line, has decided to re-open his recruitment

QuoteDowdell had been committed to UGA since February of last year. The 6-foot-4, 295-pounder is rated as the No. 20 offensive guard in the nation...

That leaves the Bulldogs with just two offensive line commitments for this year's class.

That drops UGA down to 15 commitments and early enrollees for this year's recruiting class.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 2h2 hours ago

#STRecruiting:  TE Robert Tucker of Atlanta confirms earlier report by @jcshurburtt that he has committed to the Gamecocks.

5.5-rated Atlanta B.E.S.T. Academy TE.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  2h2 hours ago
SportsTalk Retweeted Aaron B Thompson Jr.
#STRecruiting:  USC target DL Aaron Thompson of Ft. Lauderdale committed Thursday to Maryland.   

jbcarol

Micah Wilson ‏@micahwilsonqb3 9h9 hours ago

I just committed to MIZZOU! All glory to God! I've always wanted to be a Tiger! 🐯🐯 #MIZ

Wilson had been a Boise State commit. Obviously new #Mizzou OC Josh Heupel targeted him on the recruiting trail.

5.5-rated QB out of Tulsa Lincoln Christian

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond 8h8 hours ago

With the addition of Micah Wilson, the #Mizzou commit list stands at 14 with 13 days till NSD

jbcarol

jbcarol

JP Rock ‏@ShowMeMizzouJP 1h1 hour ago

#Mizzou with a commitment from Little Rock (AR) Parkview DT Markell Utsey:@_50Problems 2nd LR recruit of the day

jbcarol

Tom Loy ‏@TomLoy247 10h10 hours ago

2017 Roswell, Ga., 4-star CB LeAnthony Williams Jr. adds offer from #NotreDame http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Georgia-CB-adds-Irish-offer-during-visit-43077748 ... @LWilliams_4

Auburn lean

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 23, 2016, 08:08:36 pm
JP Rock ‏@ShowMeMizzouJP 1h1 hour ago

#Mizzou with a commitment from Little Rock (AR) Parkview DT Markell Utsey:@_50Problems 2nd LR recruit of the day

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 11h11 hours ago

With Utsey's commitment, the class of 2016 midpoint is just off a densely wooded island in Norfork Lake and 9 miles west of Bakersfield, MO.

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  14h14 hours ago
#Mizzou commit list now at 16

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  14h14 hours ago
#Mizzou has moved up 11 spots in the @Rivals team rankings with 3 commits in the last 48 hours: https://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/teamrank/2016/all/all ...

Up to #51

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  1h1 hour ago
Former Mark Richt recruit at UGA headed to Georgia Southern http://sec.news/1OHvvIj

QuoteDarion Anderson, a 3-star receiver from Houston County (Ga.) High School, committed to Georgia Southern after his official visit there this weekend.

Since Kirby Smart took over for Richt as UGA's new head coach in early December, the Bulldogs have seen seven recruits de-commit from the SEC program. That type of turnover is common when there's a coaching change because recruits aren't sure how they will fit in with the new staff.

UGA has seven de-commits under Smart, but only four are 2016 kids. Here's the breakdown:

Darion Anderson, WR, Houston County, Ga.: Committed to Georgia Southern on Sunday
Aaron Dowdell, OL, Creekside, Ga.: Backed off UGA last week after not hearing regularly from Bulldogs. UCF, Mississippi State and TCU are possible destinations.
Devwah Whaley, RB, Beaumont, Texas: Committed to Arkansas in early January.
Malek Young, DB, Pompano Beach, Fla.: He will join Richt in Miami after pledging to the Hurricanes last week.

jbcarol

Gamecocks got a commitment from Dennis Wonnum, a 3-star defensive end from Stephenson High School

QuoteWonnum is commitment No. 25 for South Carolina's recruiting class this year under new coach Will Muschamp. Earlier on Sunday, the Gamecocks landed another former Georgia standout, Tyren Jones of Walton High School. Jones started his college career at Alabama

Will Muschamp  ✔@CoachWMuschamp
#SpursUp!!
12:28 PM - 24 Jan 2016

jbcarol

CollegeFootballTalk ‏@CFTalk Jan 22

Smart, Richt currently pace all new head coaches in 2016 recruiting rankings #collegefootball http://wp.me/p14QTT-1wYI

QuoteMiami's Mark Richt has the 19th-ranked recruiting class according to Rivals.com, the second-best of any of the  27 head coaches hired in the past three months.  The best?  Georgia, which has the No. 15 class thanks in part to Kirby Smart, Richt's successor in Athens.

UGA right now, though, and fully understanding that there are nearly two weeks left until National Signing Day, is nine spots behind the No. 6 class Richt signed in 2015.

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 17h17 hours ago

We've updated our Damarea Crockett commitment post with some thoughts from Little Rock Christian Coach Jeff Weaver- http://bit.ly/1SbVeLj .

Weaver on Crockett: "Basically the other teams were trying to tackle him as soon as he got off the bus."

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 3m3 minutes ago

With Newman's de-commitment, MU's class midpoint moves over the state line, where CR 25 dead ends about 5 miles NW of Mountain Home, Ark.

OT prospect Royce Newman switches commitment from MU to Ole Miss

Newman is MU's 6th de-commit from the class of 2016. 5 have landed at Power-5  schools (Louisville, Colorado, TCU, Indiana, Ole Miss)

jbcarol

SportsTalk Retweeted Tre Jackson

#STRecruiting:  WR Tre Jackson officially decommits from USC. 

Tre Jackson
‏@CB_EJ3

Would like to humbly announce I will not be attending South Carolina. To me and my families privacy no interviews until after my decision

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 26m26 minutes ago

#STRecruiting:  2017 LB Jaden Hunter picks Georgia....Watch Hunter make his pick https://n.rivals.com/news/watch-hunter-make-his-pick ...

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 1h1 hour ago

Miami linebacker 'separates real from fake' after visits to Alabama, Florida http://sec.news/1JAbWmk

QuoteFlorida's yearlong pursuit of linebacker Vosean Joseph has given the Gators an edge that apparently not even national champion Alabama can surpass.

Joseph committed to UF almost a year ago in large part because of his relationship with linebackers coach Randy Shannon, who attended the same high school as him (Miami Norland).

"It's a business," he said. "Why would Florida have all these coaches hitting me up when I'm already committed to them? Alabama was trying to impress me. At the end of the day, I had to separate real from fake.

"Alabama offered me late, but Florida realized how much talent I had last year. That means a lot. They've been showing me major love from the start, and it's about loyalty with me."

"Myself and his dad are 100 percent down for UF," said Joseph's mother, Nattalene Vanreil-McDonald. "I never got a chance to go to Alabama. I met the coaches and I've spoken to them, but no one showed the interest to me like Florida did.

"We're all sales people. When you're going to sell me something, that doesn't mean I'm going to buy your car. You're just looking for a sale. I need you to show me that you care about my life. Sitting in your vehicle, you can show me the color and this or that. But what are you doing to help me as a person? None of that was given to me from Alabama. I didn't see it."

Vanreil-McDonald said the highlight of her trip to Gainesville was spending time with Shannon. She praised the way he handled her son's recruitment and stayed in contact with him consistently.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 11h11 hours ago

#STRecruiting: WR Kiel Pollard sets decision for Sunday http://goo.gl/fb/kjKdPO

Quote"I really don't know, I'll let ya'll know Sunday," said Pollard who plans to put his decision on Twitter at an unspecified time.  "I don't know what will make the difference.  I enjoyed the visits equally.  Arkansas is saying to come into a program that runs a similar offense to what we run and prepare for the league (NFL).  South Carolina is saying come in and start and play early."

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jbcarol on June 12, 2015, 08:07:47 am
David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 14h14 hours ago

I just wrote this story in 35 seconds: Manvel OL Mackenzie Nworah makes 10 commits for MU's Class of 2016- http://bit.ly/1e6Sv6b .

With Nworah's commitment, MU's class of 2016 midpoint moves to the middle of a patch of pasture just outside of Bradford, Ark.

Speaking on behalf of all those in south Jackson County, this is exciting news.  Lol
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

#STRecruiting: TE Evan Hinson goes with Gamecocks over Trojans http://goo.gl/fb/7YyppD

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 53m53 minutes ago

Athletic TE with basketball skills commits to South Carolina http://sec.news/1JEW6Xx

3-star from Deltona

jbcarol

'17 Atlanta Westlake 4-star LB Jaden Hunter gave an early verbal to UGa.

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 16m16 minutes ago

Dominic Collins, a 6-2/170-pound WR prospect from Saddleback (Calif.) C.C. posts on Instagram that he has committed to MU.

Here is that aforementioned Instagram post from Collins:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDptBUMh1J/?taken-by=dominiccollinss ....