Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hog911 on April 15, 2012, 09:32:33 pm
The fans in this state need to start thinking like winners! Championship Teams started out based on preception!!!!! Believe It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, all we need to do is get Gruden to break his contract.  What could a court possibly do in the face of "Believe it" on our part.   ::) ::) ::)

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 09:36:03 pm
Not going there, even the coach was lied to on that one.

There is interest and ESPN is aware of it, dont know anymore than that.
Ignore the trolls and do your thing duckman.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 15, 2012, 09:36:56 pm
Sure, all we need to do is get Gruden to break his contract.  What could a court possibly do in the face of "Believe it" on our part.   ::) ::) ::)
Okay Wild Bill, What is the precise problem you have with JG?

passinghog

Leavitt might would still be a possibility as his DC, but his brother wouldn't be following him here this time around.

Smokehouse

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 15, 2012, 09:35:20 pm
I'm guessing he would be since all the big recruits have watched him on Monday Night Football since 2009 and ESPN in general. That is only an assumption since his college experience was limited.

Based on his personality on ESPN, and that fancy Super Bowl ring he'd be able to show off, I'm inclined to believe he would be one of the best recruiters we've ever had on campus. He seems to get along great with all the QBs he interviews (then again, no QB is going to go on ESPN and act like a jerk right before the draft.)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

cityhog

I'm going to go out a limb here and say these initial names being thrown out such as mooch and gruden are straight up pipe dreams. We will go the interim route and hire a cheap mid major in December. I have ZERO confidence that long has the hiring aptitude that is required for the position he holds. He is a great PR guy though.

Cure

I'm guessing he would be since all the big recruits have watched him on Monday Night Football since 2009 and ESPN in general. That is only an assumption since his college experience was limited.
Gruden has been around college football for a couple of years, staying close to quite a few programs. His name and experience gives instant credibility. He has even traveled with college coaches. I do know I spotted him a few times in Columbus, so he should know what he's doing.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HF#1

Quote from: cityhog on April 15, 2012, 09:40:28 pm
I'm going to go out a limb here and say these initial names being thrown out such as mooch and gruden are straight up pipe dreams. We will go the interim route and hire a cheap mid major in December. I have ZERO confidence that long has the hiring aptitude that is required for the position he holds. He is a great PR guy though.

Stay in Jump Ball...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Ugly Uncle

Well, didn't we all say that one of BP's only weaknesses was recruiting?  I would settle for having the third best recruiting class in the SEC.  I think he could get us there.  Yeah, that would put us behind only Bama and LESSU
Retired Radio Host

Catfish Joe

Quote from: strawhog on April 15, 2012, 09:08:56 pm
Who cares.
Get it done Jeff.
WPS!!!

This ^. I know the players want to keep the current coaches and for this season I agree, but in the long run Gruden would pay much higher dividends.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

HOGSWEAT

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2012, 09:36:13 pm
Apparently, at this time, it has legs.

Never quite understood the phrase, it has legs. Meaning it appears to be going somewhere or getting out of hand?

BloodRedHog

My only pause Duckman is you did say Butch was in the bag before we got Petrino
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

thebignasty

Quote from: AR Taco04 on April 15, 2012, 09:43:40 pm
Never quite understood the phrase, it has legs. Meaning it appears to be going somewhere or getting out of hand?

More than just blind speculation, less than a lock.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

HF#1

Quote from: BloodRedHog on April 15, 2012, 09:44:28 pm

I don't think he has said Gruden is "in the bag".
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AR Taco04 on April 15, 2012, 09:43:40 pm

Meaning, right now it apparently has legs to stand on, to support it. Doesn't mean it will come to pass. Time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 15, 2012, 09:35:20 pm
Neither one of them.  Arkansas has a ton to offer and when you think about it, very few coaches leave voluntarily once they live here.  I want someone who wants to be here and neither of these guys do.  This is a temporary stop for both of them.

Bring in Garrick or promote Haynes or Paul and we should have stability for years.

If they're only here 3-4 years and we win 10+ games each year I'd be very satisfied. Times are always changing. That'd give us 5-6 (10) win seasons in a row and one of the undisputed top programs in the nations.

Whats not to like?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

Cure

This is true.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

MiHogsMi

I smell a skunk.  If he is in contract negotiations with ESPN,  nothing like a "option to go coach at Arkansas" to strengthen his hand with ESPN.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

Jamie Jones

FWIW, I still have contacts at Scout and they say this is a possibility. Jay would likely wait until after next season before joining Jon as to not upset the apple cart. Jay is a big part of things coming together here. If Jon comes, expect Jay to follow at Jon's discretion. Not saying Long has offered or Jon has called, but this is closer than some would believe.

If it happens, it will be HUGE news. And it will take Saban type money to get him here. Oh, and if he comes, Jay will be our future HC when Jon leaves.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Coondog Hog

I said this would NEVER HAPPEN.  I hope that in the end I look like a huge doosh for it.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Catfish Joe

Quote from: jhawg2009 on April 15, 2012, 09:53:31 pm
FWIW, I still have contacts at Scout and they say this is a possibility. Jay would likely wait until after next season before joining Jon as to not upset the apple cart. Jay is a big part of things coming together here. If Jon comes, expect Jay to follow at Jon's discretion. Not saying Long has offered or Jon has called, but this is closer than some would believe.

If it happens, it will be HUGE news. And it will take Saban type money to get him here. Oh, and if he comes, Jay will be our future HC when Jon leaves.

I'd be okay with his demand that Jay be HC in-waiting with the contingency that he wins 1 SEC Championship or 3 (10+) win seasons.

-John Heisman-

BloodRedHog

Quote from: MoHogsMo on April 15, 2012, 09:52:52 pm
I smell a skunk.  If he is in contract negotiations with ESPN,  nothing like a "option to go coach at Arkansas" to strengthen his hand with ESPN.

The ESPN contact is done already and goes into effect in Sept

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Coondog Hog on April 15, 2012, 09:55:47 pm
I said this would NEVER HAPPEN.  I hope that in the end I look like a huge doosh for it.

This.  From everything I have heard, Long has not contacted Gruden and has no interest in doing so.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

IronHog

I have no doubt that at one time BD and DGB were both planning to or considering strongly coming to Arkansas............

People get in trouble when the guarantee things that are not finalized..........

I have no inside sources but it would be more shocking if Gruden wasn't interested in the Arkansas job..........   there is big time football to be played by the Hogs and coaches love that stuff.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

passinghog

I'm surprised his brother would leave his job to come here. No knock on our job, but he's one step away from NFL HC right now. Who knows though...

hawgsav1

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on April 15, 2012, 09:25:35 pm
Him and jimmy johnson are about it.

Que?

There is a reason that it's the JFB Assistant Coach of the Year.   Joe Gibbs, Hayden Fry, Johnny Majors, Barry Switzer, Jackie Sherrill, Doug Dickey and Jimmy Johnson
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Deepwoods

Gruden would make ESPN more money if he became our coach. They would advertise the heck out of Gruden vs. Saban vs. Miles...etc.

MNF viewership won't take a hit without him and SEC football would get even bigger than it already is. It's a win for us, Gruden, the players and ESPN if he comes here.

And if you're wrong...what are the consequences?

McmerleHOG

I say Pete, based on his success at the College level.  And by success, I mean Nick Saban type success.  His collegiate winning % is better than saban's (Saban: 73%, Carroll: 81%).  Saban has 3 national championships, and carroll has 2 but has been in 3 I think and has won tons of BCS bowl games.

Really, if we get Pete I'd say we'd have a tossup for best college football in the nation coach on our campus (between him and saban). 

However, I love gruden.  He makes MNF; his personality would just explode into our fanbase... think of how much we loved petrino, and he didn't even have a personality.  He doesn't have the college experience, but I doubt it slows him down much (heck, carrol had like 20 years outside of college before he went to the trojans).  He'd land recruits, he knows the game of football as well as anyone (suberbowl winner), and he'd get fans in the seats and spending money.  He's the type of guy that causes non-hog fans to jump on the razorback bandwagon.  Seriously, Jon Gruden would make razorback fans out of strangers all over the country.

Either one probably puts us in even better position than Petrino.... who woulda thought CBP getting fired resulted in us getting a better coach??? 

All this being said, I don't see either of these happening.  Not because Arkansas is "not good enough", but because these guys have great jobs right now that pay more.  If they were without work, sure, but these guys aren't looking IMO.  Plus, Gruden has turned down some gigs from some salty programs...

I'll eat crow all day for a year and love every minute of it if I'm wrong.  But just being a regular guy looking at things without hog colored glasses on... no way.  and that's no fault of Jeff Long or being Arkansas, either.  I doubt any AD/program in the country could attract this kind of a hire given the timing and situation.

Small is the new huge.

IronHog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 15, 2012, 10:01:57 pm
Que?

There is a reason that it's the JFB Assistant Coach of the Year.   Joe Gibbs, Hayden Fry, Johnny Majors, Barry Switzer, Jackie Sherrill, Doug Dickey and Jimmy Johnson

Exactly.

JFB didn't follow the same rules as AD that he did as HC.......

Blue35

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 15, 2012, 08:12:09 pm
I think there is roughly the same chance of getting either one of these guys as there is monkeys flying out of my ass, but since everyone wants to talk about them....cast your vote.
I vote for the monkeys. That is about as close as we would get to pete or jon.

justin2000m80

Quote from: Smokehouse on April 15, 2012, 07:34:11 pm
Jessica Dorrell? I think taking coaches pants is more her forte.

Dang i remember when you could say JD on here with no confusion lol. 

BloodRedHog

Quote from: Showtimehog on April 15, 2012, 10:01:48 pm
I'm surprised his brother would leave his job to come here. No knock on our job, but he's one step away from NFL HC right now. Who knows though...

I agree. This is a tough one....

Jay Gruden was hired as the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals on February 3, 2011.
Gruden recently signed a 3 year extension with the Cincinnati Bengals as their offensive coordinator, even after being asked to interview for at least 3 head coaching jobs (Jacksonville Jaguars, St Louis Rams, and later he turned down the Indianapolis Colts, signing his extension shortly afterwards.)

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Deepwoods on April 15, 2012, 10:03:05 pm
Gruden would make ESPN more money if he became our coach. They would advertise the heck out of Gruden vs. Saban vs. Miles...etc.

MNF viewership won't take a hit without him and SEC football would get even bigger than it already is. It's a win for us, Gruden, the players and ESPN if he comes here.

Haven't thought of it like this.  Good points.
Retired Radio Host

IronHog

Quote from: Deepwoods on April 15, 2012, 10:03:05 pm

They have struggled for years to get a good booth for MNF.....

Gruden is very, very good at talking about football........ his QB show is very popular too.

IronHog

Quote from: BloodRedHog on April 15, 2012, 10:07:27 pm
I agree. This is a tough one....

Jay Gruden was hired as the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals on February 3, 2011.
Gruden recently signed a 3 year extension with the Cincinnati Bengals as their offensive coordinator, even after being asked to interview for at least 3 head coaching jobs (Jacksonville Jaguars, St Louis Rams, and later he turned down the Indianapolis Colts, signing his extension shortly afterwards.)

Any staff changes are at least one and maybe more years away.

PP will be running the offense this fall unless they get Gus in there.

kingofdequeen

call me General Buzzkill...but i'm not buying this. 

i mean...john daly is an integral part of this whole thing playing out.  you guys are putting an ass load of faith in john daly.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: HogSchmog on April 15, 2012, 09:31:08 pm
No chance with Gruden.  Don't trust a guy who sells leopard-skinned golf pants out of his van for beer money.

i mean, really.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 10:16:43 pm

i mean...john daly is an integral part of this whole thing playing out.  you guys are putting an ass load of faith in john daly.

-John Heisman-

IronHog

IronHog

Quote from: str8volfan on April 15, 2012, 07:37:08 pm
you are right, everything about Arky's football program is and always has been head and shoulders above UT's.

*snickers*

UT's best and just about only chance to rise again in the next 5 years is to hire the coach that Arkansas just fired.

Perspective hurts sometimes..........

duckman

All I have said on this is there is interest, which there is.  Since I first mentioned this two others posted and have heard similar info.  I have been fooled in the past and I have been right in the past.  Not saying which way this will go, just saying what I know.

forrest city joe

Gruden or Carroll are not coming here no matter how many threads are started about it.PEROD! and i have no inside imfo. JUST LOGIC.

IronHog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 10:16:43 pm

John Daly isn't so bad off that he can't use a phone.........

I seriously doubt that if they get serious Daly will be drawing up the contracts or negotiating with ESPN.

They'll bring in Quinn Grovey for that!

Athog

How do we know who JL had talked to and has not? At least he is not working thru the media or Hogville.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: IronHog on April 15, 2012, 10:20:41 pm

UT's best and just about only chance to rise again in the next 5 years is to hire the coach that Arkansas just fired.

Perspective hurts sometimes..........

and that's just if they have any UT pro golfers...only way they'll have a chance.

Scott7703

Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 10:22:48 pm
All I have said on this is there is interest, which there is.  Since I first mentioned this two others posted and have heard similar info.  I have been fooled in the past and I have been right in the past.  Not saying which way this will go, just saying what I know.

Thanks for the info duck! This would be about as good as we could do imo. Hope it all comes together.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 15, 2012, 10:24:26 pm
Gruden or Carroll are not coming here no matter how many threads are started about it.PEROD! and i have no inside imfo. JUST LOGIC.

PEROD! INDEED!

jry04

You have struck out quite a bit lately. I like our chances even more now.

IronHog

Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes  or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort-

makiavelli

Thanks for sharing what your hearing duckman. Don't let the doubters run you off or reluctant to share. Theres also plenty of readers who are glad to have any kind of updates. Were just not always as loud as the other group. Keep your ear to the ground and keep us updated. thanks
Wally Hall is an angry lil guy