Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

guy morriss

Started by dawgsnhawgs, October 13, 2005, 03:38:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgsnhawgs

i think he's a good coach to look at if hdn gets fired.  in his last season at kentucky he went 7-5, and now he has baylor out to a 4-1 start.

corndo

I went to Baylor (although I am a Razorback fan and not a Baylor fan) I do think he has Baylor going in the right direction - of course, it didn't have anywhere to go but up! They are 4-1 and should be 5-0, but the only quality win they have so far is over Iowa St., he has not proven he can recruit yet - it is hard at Baylor, I know, and the Big 12 is way down this year - two ranked teams in the whole conference.

On the positive side, he has done more with less, opened up the offense, has already shown he can outwit Nutty by beating him in Fayetteville while coach at UK in 2002, and has Baylor equaling the most wins they have had in a season since they joined the Big 12 in 1996 through 5 games this year.

All in all, I believe the jury is still out on him but I like what I have seen so far.

wacohog

corndo,

I went to Baylor also. When were you there?

corndo

Started in 96, and unfortunately, after I finished and had moved away for a couple of years, I moved back and got stuck in Waco!! Thinking about moving back home though, I miss it dearly!

corndo

Wacohog, I take it that you are still in Waco?

wacohog

back to the thread...Morriss is NOT a salesman, he is plain, honest, blunt. He has pro playing experience as does the defensive coord( Bill Bradley.)

Like corndo, I am not a Baylor fan; but, he does seem to have an aggressive team, good gameplan, etc. I'm NOT sure he will be the dynamic guy we need to sell to recruits, but I'm not sure that he can't. I'd say that this year will prove telling re: Morriss' recruiting. Passion fro Baylor football seems to be building for the first time in 10 yrs. I Morriss parlays this into a great recruiting year, I'd say the Hogs should take a look at him . If he doesn't get better at recruiting, I'd say we would be better looking elsewhere.

Let's be frank...Grant Teaff is a GOD down here for producing a .500 record (or thereabouts.)  MOST of us that back the Hogs expect more. Bottom line--success at Baylor is,and always should be, defined differently than at Arkansas.

One last thing while we're discussing Baylor---when asked (about 10 yrs ago) about who would be the PERFECT fit at Baylor, Grant Teaff said on name: Houston Nutt(this is not a lie.) I have always thought Nutt to be a great fit for Baylor(but possibly not  for my beloved Hogs)

DevilHog

He is a good coach and would be a good direction to look. However, Houston will be our coach next year so we need to start thinking in terms of assistants to make a decent staff.

wacohog

yes, I do live in Waco. In fact, I have lived here except for med school, residency since 1967( age 5.) I was raised to love the Hogs and never acquired a taste for Baylor football. Graduated in '84 btw

Rich

corndo

Quote from: wacohog on October 13, 2005, 04:46:35 pm
yes, I do live in Waco. In fact, I have lived here except for med school, residency since 1967( age 5.) I was raised to love the Hogs and never acquired a taste for Baylor football. Graduated in '84 btw

Rich

Very interesting! I'm bummed that there is no longer any good place to watch a game in town now that Slo Poke's closed down. I watched Arkansas beat Texas there in 2003 with a couple of friends from Arkansas and it was awesome! We were three hog fans in a sea of burnt orange! I have a lot of friends here who are Baylor/Texas fans and it is always fun to kid around with them and talk about how the SEC is the best conference in the country. Maybe we could get together with some other local hog fans and watch a game sometime - if the Razorbacks are ever on National TV again that is!  ;D

hawkeyefan17

It is proven Morriss can coach.

I am happy for Baylor. They haven't been to a bowl since I think the '95 Alamo Bowl against Washington State. From everything I have heard about Baylor it is a good school plus I love the fact that they crapped on the Iowa State Cyclones in Ames. My Cyclone buddy who is going to Missouri State called me Saturday and you would think the world was coming to an end.

Hayden Fry and Grant Teaff are probably pretty happy right now...wasn't Frank Broyles an assisstant at Baylor before taking the Missouri job and then going to Arkansas?

I always like to see the teams that have a history of loosing (Duke, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Rutgers...I thought it was kind of cool even when Iowa State started getting it turned around) have a good year once in a while.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on October 13, 2005, 06:09:08 pm

I am happy for Baylor. They haven't been to a bowl since I think the '95 Alamo Bowl against Washington State. From everything I have heard about Baylor it is a good school plus I love the fact that they crapped on the Iowa State Cyclones in Ames. My Cyclone buddy who is going to Missouri State called me Saturday and you would think the world was coming to an end.

Hayden Fry and Grant Teaff are probably pretty happy right now...wasn't Frank Broyles an assisstant at Baylor before taking the Missouri job and then going to Arkansas?

I always like to see the teams that have a history of loosing (Duke, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Rutgers...I thought it was kind of cool even when Iowa State started getting it turned around) have a good year once in a while.

I believe that JFB was an assistant at Ga Tech before going to Mizzou.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Jim Harris

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on October 13, 2005, 06:37:02 pm

WPS

Chris

But Broyles had been an assistant for Bob Woodruff at Baylor out of college before returning to Tech to coach under his mentor, Bobby Dodd. You're right, he didn't go directly from Baylor to Mizzou.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mikeirwin

October 13, 2005, 06:40:02 pm #12 Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:44:26 pm by mikeirwin
HDN is NOT going to get fired. Sorry, but it's not happening. He might take another job on his own but I doubt it.

Chief Mac

Quote from: drakehog on October 13, 2005, 06:38:34 pm

WPS

Chris

But Broyles had been an assistant for Bob Woodruff at Baylor out of college before returning to Tech to coach under his mentor, Bobby Dodd. You're right, he didn't go directly from Baylor to Mizzou.

Didn't remember him being at Baylor, thanks for the added knowledge.  :-)  When I go to UGA games with my wife, alot of the older crowd at our tailgate like to talk about Arkansas football with me and they ALWAYS talk very highly of JFB. 

Are you going to the UGA game Drake? 

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Jim Harris

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on October 13, 2005, 06:43:57 pm

WPS

Chris

not now. My travel connection to Ga. decided he was done with traveling with Nutt this year and I would have been stuck with five tickets to get rid off by myself. I'll watch it on JP now. Should be a great trip though if you're going. Great time of the year to be in Athens. Hell, when is it not a great time?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Chief Mac

Quote from: drakehog on October 13, 2005, 06:46:53 pm
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on October 13, 2005, 06:43:57 pm

WPS

Chris

not now. My travel connection to Ga. decided he was done with traveling with Nutt this year and I would have been stuck with five tickets to get rid off by myself. I'll watch it on JP now. Should be a great trip though if you're going. Great time of the year to be in Athens. Hell, when is it not a great time?

You wouldn't have had much trouble getting rid of those tickets.  The UGA game is the only game that I am going to this year and that is only because my wife is a UGA fan.  I'll still be cheering the Hogs on but in my heart I just want Nutt gone! 

WPS

Chris