Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pass Blocking

Started by Razorback Jedi, October 13, 2005, 10:34:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Jedi

I watched the HN show last night, and continue to be amazed at how inept our pass blocking is. When RJ rolls out, a corner is out there to make him throw the ball. When RJ trys to sit in the pocket, the blocking breaks down so quickly, that RJ either has to run and throw, or throw off balance.

I can't figure out if our pass blocking is a result of what plays are called (ie - 2 setp drops, quick outs, roll outs, etc), or if plays are being called because the pass blocking is not available.

How much harder is pass blocking than run blocking?

I've seen RJ able to set his feet and throw the ball maybe a dozen times this year. And when he does get set, and throw, it's generally not a very good throw as he's used to throwing off his back foot or while running.

I would think a game like ULM would be a game that you'd try to improve your weakest areas of your team, not use the strongest areas to do what you know you can do best. How many here, or on the staff, really thought that ULM could stop our running game? If they can't stop it, then you know you can use it when you need to. Why not throw the ball, try some new plays, try to teach your QB how to stay in the pocket?

We'll win a couple of games this year soley because our running game will wear down the opponents. But, capitan obvious here, we will lose every game the rest of the year if forced to rely on our passing to score. Not for the obvious reason that we can't pass worth a darn, but because our OC will not call pass plays enough to get us out of jams. He'll continue to pound the rock, even if we're down by 10 with 2 minutes to go in the game.

lwillin

I hope the coaching staff will address this soon, because the Hogs need to have more than one dimension - as has been posted many times before.

I believe that, given a little more time in the pocket RJ can make a better showing in the passing game. Also, we need to have this area of the game worked on by the time Mustain comes on board. If his release is as quick as many of Hogville members indicate, we can expect a more balanced attack.

mikeirwin

Mike Markuson has never been comfortable with the pass blocking of his players. He'd much rather they run block. When they do pass block he wants as many blockers as possible. It's his philosophy. It's what he believes in. This is one in a series of reasons why this team has been run oriented for the last several years.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on October 13, 2005, 10:34:45 am
How much harder is it to perform a task backing up rather than moving forward ? It's harder. No question. But not as hard as is used to be when O linemen could not use their hands.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 13, 2005, 02:23:45 pm
How much harder is it to perform a task backing up rather than moving forward ? It's harder. No question. But not as hard as is used to be when O linemen could not use their hands.

Yeah, I get that....but if you're pass blocking correctly, your OLine isn't backing up the entire time. Take 2 or 3 steps back to get your footing, and block. We run so much, our OL doesn't remember what it's like to pass block.....and when they get the opportunity, the called play is for the QB to get away from the pocket, negating any blocking that the OL does for the pocket.

three

To add on to what Mike was saying, that's been the big problem with the pass offense over the years.  Nutt has allowed an O-line coach dictate a majority of his play calling.  I don't know of another head coach at the major level who would do that, do any of you?  We hear all this talk every year about throwing to the tightends, and then it never happens.  I'm not so sure it's b/c they don't want to throw it to them or are scared, I think it's because they recruit blocking tightends, and work so hard at teaching them to block, they lose any ability to pass catch they may have had.  I can say this, from the little bit I've seen of the tightends working in practice, and granted I don't spend much time watching them, I've never once seem them run a pattern or catch a pass.  I'm not saying it never happens, I've just never seen it, and to me, that says they don't work on it enough to do it in game situations.  And if you're only going to play two WRs, you need your backs and tightends to catch balls, too.  The backs only catch passes on screens and as safety valves (no Reggie Bush in this system......and to be fair, probly not in very many others either) and the tightends might catch one or two balls as a last resort.  When the passing game improves, you'll see guys catching balls like Joe Dean Davenport used to, and that's when this team will start scoring and winning again.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

HogsRule

I watched the HN show last night, and continue to be amazed at how inept our pass blocking is. When RJ rolls out, a corner is out there to make him throw the ball. When RJ trys to sit in the pocket, the blocking breaks down so quickly, that RJ either has to run and throw, or throw off balance.

I can't figure out if our pass blocking is a result of what plays are called (ie - 2 setp drops, quick outs, roll outs, etc), or if plays are being called because the pass blocking is not available.

I've seen RJ able to set his feet and throw the ball maybe a dozen times this year. And when he does get set, and throw, it's generally not a very good throw as he's used to throwing off his back foot or while running.

I would think a game like ULM would be a game that you'd try to improve your weakest areas of your team, not use the strongest areas to do what you know you can do best. How many here, or on the staff, really thought that ULM could stop our running game? If they can't stop it, then you know you can use it when you need to. Why not throw the ball, try some new plays, try to teach your QB how to stay in the pocket?

We'll win a couple of games this year soley because our running game will wear down the opponents. But, capitan obvious here, we will lose every game the rest of the year if forced to rely on our passing to score. Not for the obvious reason that we can't pass worth a darn, but because our OC will not call pass plays enough to get us out of jams. He'll continue to pound the rock, even if we're down by 10 with 2 minutes to go in the game.

The few times I've seen RJ set his feet and have time he seems to get rid of it too quickly. I don't know if he's surprised that the line held or he's young and gets rattled. The pass that he overthrew a wide open Logan looked like he threw it too soon because it was a nicely thrown pass.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: HogsRule on October 13, 2005, 03:08:23 pm
The few times I've seen RJ set his feet and have time he seems to get rid of it too quickly. I don't know if he's surprised that the line held or he's young and gets rattled. The pass that he overthrew a wide open Logan looked like he threw it too soon because it was a nicely thrown pass.

If I were RJ, and I had a chance to set my feet....I'd expect to be hit .2 seconds later. Throwing the ball too early is a symptom of not having confidence in your line.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: PulledPork on October 13, 2005, 03:19:40 pm
I just picked up the comment about when RJ rolls out, "the cornerback" is there to force him into a pass play.

Why is the cornerback there? Why haven't we put a SE/WR on that side to take the cornerback down the field. Why is the sky blue? Do all dogs go to heaven?......... ;D

When have you seen a WR go further than 5 yards down the field? There's no reason for any defense to play anything but Man coverage on our 1, sometimes 2, WR.