Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chance to own some history

Started by Bill_Smith, October 06, 2005, 11:38:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_Smith

OK, here's a little relief from the usual . . . .

I'm finishing up the last details for a special surplus sale that we will promote thorugh LADYBACKS.COM in the next few weeks.  The on-line auction will be administered by state surplus, but you will have the chance to own a piece of the original Barnhill Arena scoreboard.

In our last Barnhill renovation, we took down the old-school light-bulb-and-relay FairPlay scoreboard that hung in the center of the arena roughly since the 1977 addition.  We've kept it stored working the details of how to open up the sale to a wider Razorback group than the usual surplus sales on campus.

So, if all goes according to plan, around the start of basketball season we will put one of the four panels up for bid.  All four pieces are identical, and they are about "bar height" if you want to add it to your Razorback room.  The panels are sold as-is, but with a little electrical work, it would not be hard to get the score tenders to work with a rotary switch.  (Part of the reason it came down was the old control panel finally gave up the ghost).

We're about 90% ready with the paperwork, but wanted to get some advance notice out to groups that may be inclined to bid.  Again, it will be about two or three weeks before this is official.
"Trust the people" -- Winston Churchill

lechon

October 06, 2005, 11:54:28 pm #1 Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 12:53:15 am by razor9
THANK YOU LORD...   Just in time for Christmas!    ;)   :razorback:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: razor9 on October 06, 2005, 11:54:28 pm
GOOD LORD... Just throw the damn thing in the trash.

We all have old shite that we would like to sell, but get

real !

LOL...people pay for crazier sports memoriabilia than that. Might actually be cool for a bar/gameroom. I have no personal interest in it, but I'm sure there are some that do. No need to knock the man for giving some people a heads up.

Porky Pig

That would be an incredible addition to a "Hog Room!" Barnhill is legendary with lots of incredible games and history. A fourth of that scoreboard would be something to brag about. I'll bet razor 9 isn't old enough to appreciate Barnhill Arena.

TulsaHogFan

I saw my first razorback game EVER of any type of sports there.  I would love to own it.  I know there is a way with XML to get it to pull scores off the web and display those if i am thinking of the right thing. 

Fun times. 

Great memories, man was that actually 20 years ago?

Bill_Smith

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 07, 2005, 12:11:04 am
Quote from: razor9 on October 06, 2005, 11:54:28 pm
GOOD LORD... Just throw the damn thing in the trash.

We all have old shite that we would like to sell, but get

real !

LOL...people pay for crazier sports memoriabilia than that. Might actually be cool for a bar/gameroom. I have no personal interest in it, but I'm sure there are some that do. No need to knock the man for giving some people a heads up.

And that's the point.  I know exactly where it's headed if we don't take this approach.  I stood and watched some similar old gear get crushed into a little ball before it was hauled away.  If the board was fully functional, some high school or junior high would want it, but with the controller spent, it's only value is as a conversation piece (albeit a huge one) or as scrap aluminum.

I'd much rather see it go to someone who'll value its place in our history.

Bill_Smith

For that matter -- and I should have thought of this before I hit send -- someone could buy it and give it to something like the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.  We can't give it away, since it is state property.

GorillaJMonsoon

is it just a generic scoreboard, or is there anything painted on it like a hog, or the words arkansas razorbacks? that would make a big difference.  I have buddies who are looking for memorabilia for their new restaurant. let me know.

Bill_Smith

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on October 07, 2005, 01:22:02 pm
is it just a generic scoreboard, or is there anything painted on it like a hog, or the words arkansas razorbacks? that would make a big difference. I have buddies who are looking for memorabilia for their new restaurant. let me know.
I think the answer to both questions is yes.

The old Barnhill scoreboard was pretty generic, but there is the single panel "ARKANSAS" and the pretty distinctive look of the board that verifies it.  And I'd be more than happy to provide authentication.

Adam Stokes

jblack19

Any idea how much this would go for?

Bill_Smith

Quote from: jblack19 on October 09, 2005, 11:29:28 am
Any idea how much this would go for?
Well, no.  The starting bid is $100

GorillaJMonsoon

What are the dimensions? And photos would be good. I will tell my buds to email you if you dont mind. Let me know where they can contact you.

Bill_Smith

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on October 10, 2005, 09:48:21 am
What are the dimensions? And photos would be good. I will tell my buds to email you if you dont mind. Let me know where they can contact you.
Absolutely, but in about a week.  I'm currently beating my head against my screen finishing the Lady'Back press guide.  Then I have to get the same photos and dimensions over to state surplus who will administer the auction.  My estimate is about two weeks before it becomes a public event, then it runs ebay-style for I believe a week.

Again, more details when they become available.