Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Summary

Started by jabohog, August 21, 2005, 02:00:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jabohog

of the fall camp so far I offer a fans perspective. Is it an informed opinion? Probably not of the kind preferred. Just a fans opinion to be agreed or disagreed upon as seen fit by the board members. That's what it's all about.

It starts with closed practices. It seems the media was more distraught over this than most anyone else and understandably so. Reasons for this vary and we may never know the whole truth, but I think is to control expections, good and bad until the games are played.

Then the one and two week rehab injuries start as scrimage work begins and sends Coach Nutt into prevent mode. A lack of quality depth once again shuts down scrimage work which is a key to successful execution in game play especially in offensive timing. It seems this is becoming SOP.

Fan Day Scrimage. There were allot of varying opinions written and spoken, but some synoptic views:

Robert Johnson better be the man ( and I think he will ) and better stay injury free because there is no quality depth at quarterback.
The kicking game, especially the offensive side is STILL terrible. This seems to me to be more of a coaching thing, or lack of than talent problem. It is definitely a repeated problem that some define as insanity on this board.
We have a running game! Offensively, if RoJo and the younger skill players don't turn the ball over we should be okay. Possibility of stepped up passing game. Potential and lots of it is the word of the day for the offense.
Defense, the jury is still out. Too many second and third teamers to see if the defense will be able to stymie the SEC offenses. Quality depth, is two words that keep coming up and it applies to Herring's style. One thing that you hear is the defense plays hard, fast and as a team.

There is still two weeks before kickoff. I am sure allot can and will change in that time frame. We have a first game that should allow us to make mistakes that hopefully will be learned from and corrected.   
I was really pumped from reading the Pollyanna's (as Rob Keys calls them) optimistic posts.
It was very infectious. But the same old, same ole, has brought me to a more realistic expectation. This isn't a fire Coach Nutt post, although I have stated some things about his tenure that I really don't care for. Repeated mistakes, poor recruiting, and his seemingly increased resentment of fan opinion. Rather just an opinion from an old football fan that has played some and watched football for allot of years. I say hope for allot of luck and chances for this team to learn and get experience. A bright spot is the possibility of two good recruiting years back to back, which if Coach Nutt has learned how to control egos, could make a bright future.