Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Johnson's Groin Injury

Started by WilsonHog, August 20, 2005, 11:34:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

HoginMemphis had an outstanding point in another thread, but because he's HiM the point was immediately overlooked in favor of a personal attack.

The conventional wisdom is that a starter doesn't lose his job due to an injury. That is not, however, set in stone, especially when the starter doesn't have a proven track record of game experience. Groin injuries are tricky; tough to heal completely, and easily aggravated.

Robert Johnson has missed a fair amount of practice time lately because of his groin injury. Mental reps on the sideline are fine, but are a poor substitution for the progressions that a quarterback has to go through pre- and post-snap.

Johnson's injury opens the door for Alex Mortensen. Seems like he has clearly distanced himself from Barthel and Dick at this point. The question is whether Johnson's injury and Mortensen's development will combine to allow Alex to push Robert for the starting job. Even if Mortensen plays lights out in practice while Johnson is injured, Johnson will still likely get the starts early on. However, if Mortensen continues to impress he'll put himself in a possession to start at some point in the season if Johnson struggles.  Seems to me the most likely game for that to occur would be Louisiana-Monroe. Breaking in a quarterback in Los Angeles or Tuscaloosa probably isn't wise.

The more pressing question that HDN may be faced with in two weeks is whether to start Johnson at 80% or Mortensen against Missouri State. If Johnson's injury doesn't clear up pretty quick, some difficult questions will need to be answered.

Lanny

Wilson I understand Johnson's injury is keeping Robert off the field.  I don't know how long it takes to heal from a groin injury he has but missing this much practice is critical for timing routes.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HogInMemphis

I'd like to know why/how he got the groin injury. How does a 19 or 20 yr. old SEC-class football player, particularly one in a specialty position, get a groin injury during 2-a-days? I played football for a lot of years as a def. back and i had several injuries over the years (ankle sprains by the dozen, shin splints or whatever they are called and bothersome knee from a bone chip) but never had hamstring or groin problems. And I'm assuming the reason I never had those kinds of problems is because we stretched well at Catholic before and after practices. I don't recall groin injuries ever being an issue with anyone during HS football.

JoeBobHog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 20, 2005, 12:39:18 pm
I'd like to know why/how he got the groin injury. How does a 19 or 20 yr. old SEC-class football player, particularly one in a specialty position, get a groin injury during 2-a-days? I played football for a lot of years as a def. back and i had several injuries over the years (ankle sprains by the dozen, shin splints or whatever they are called and bothersome knee from a bone chip) but never had hamstring or groin problems. And I'm assuming the reason I never had those kinds of problems is because we stretched well at Catholic before and after practices. I don't recall groin injuries ever being an issue with anyone during HS football.

it's a common injury in the pros too.

starting to get the picture?
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

PigPusher

August 20, 2005, 01:41:20 pm #4 Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 01:44:43 pm by PigPusher
Speaking to my own experience with two of them about two weeks.  Remains tender after that but the doctor said not to worry just work through the discomfort.  Little while after that back to normal.

Try this:

http://www.mdadvice.com/library/sport/sport145.html
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PigPusher

It would appear rest is a biggie with more severe strains.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Chief Mac

Everyone stretches.  We stretched too but I have had both groin and hammy problems.  Some guy are just naturally more/less flexible.  My coach once told me that if I had been just a little more flexible that I would have been ALOT faster and less injury prone.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

The Max Swineberg 7

Groin injury is tough for a QB.  MJ's last game, I know LSU was so much better than us.  But, you could see we were crippled from ANYTHING due to that injury.

Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on August 20, 2005, 02:34:36 pm

Everyone stretches.  We stretched too but I have had both groin and hammy problems.  Some guy are just naturally more/less flexible.  My coach once told me that if I had been just a little more flexible that I would have been ALOT faster and less injury prone.

WPS

Chris

My coach once told me that if I could have bench pressed 310 instead of 290, I would have been able to bench press 20 lbs more.

HOGCATCH

Is the scrimmage still on if this storm from OK keeps coming?
Winning is a way of life!

JoeBobHog

Quote from: HOGCATCH on August 20, 2005, 04:35:18 pm
Is the scrimmage still on if this storm from OK keeps coming?

just got off the phone--parts of Fayetteville still don't have power.

so, not sure.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 20, 2005, 04:32:12 pm

My coach once told me that if I could have bench pressed 310 instead of 290, I would have been able to bench press 20 lbs more.

Awesome deductive reasoning. ;D

jabohog

HOW TO PREVENT
-------------------
Participate in a strengthening and conditioning program appropriate for your sport.

This may explain it!!!