Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Rome vs Dan Patrick

Started by HaWg 10, August 08, 2005, 12:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HaWg 10

whos the better mid-day talk show host? i gotta give it to Rome better interviews, much better takes on what is going on, better all around show. but since we don't get Rome in NWA i settle for Dan Patrick. Bo and Irwin are still the best morning show hands down. and of corse we ALL love our Chuck for the ride home. did they completely stop carrying drive time in NWA? the AM channel i used to get them on during chuck's commercial breaks is now espanol music.
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

ledhead830

Rome pisses me off so I have to go with Patrick.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

HaWg 10

Quote from: ledhead830 on August 08, 2005, 12:18:36 pm

why does he piss you off?
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

McKdaddy

Quote from: ledhead830 on August 08, 2005, 12:18:36 pm
Hands down Patrick.  I was a Rome fan WAY back in the day but have outgrown Clones and having to speak like someone and write a script to get on the show.  Rome does have great sacrcasm and good interviews.  I'm just tired of the schtick.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Cresthog

Rome to me is nothing but a smart alleck. I cant stand it when interviews are going on and the person giving the interview is a complete A$$ to everyone. Kind of like Stephen A Smith. I cant stand him bc if you disagree with him he jumps at you like your an idiot....show some class

Bomis Hawg

I really like Dan Patrick.  He's definitely has a bette overall show.  I say, on a national level, might be near the top -- with Steve Czaban, Tony Bruno, Mike and Mike.  It has a lot of takes and his opinions, but its not just solely about him. 

Jim Rome is decent at times, a good portion of it sucks.  I remember when his TV show first started, all of the show as basically re-hashing what said the previous week worth of shows on TV.  I couldn't handle it, although I liked it.

Patrick, much like the guys on FSR, has a similar feel to it like the the FSR shows.  There no true "on-air persona" to him, like Rome.  He is the same on the radio as he is on ESPN -- expect some quick wit. 

On the note of national guys, Tony Bruno is good.  Mike and Mike and Dan Patrick have good ESPN shows.  FSR has Chris Meyers and Bryan Cox (that duo is growing on me) and Craig Shemon & James Washington (good comedic flow at times to that show).  Steve Czaban is on early in the AM, and I don't get to listen much, but I truly thought he has the best combination of comedy and good sports conversation.

garagephilosopher

Quote from: Cresthog on August 08, 2005, 12:24:29 pm
Rome to me is nothing but a smart alleck. I cant stand it when interviews are going on and the person giving the interview is a complete A$$ to everyone. Kind of like Stephen A Smith. I cant stand him bc if you disagree with him he jumps at you like your an idiot....show some class

Rome doesn't hold a candle to Patrick.  That's like comparing Geraldo Rivera and Ted Koppel.  And how the heck did that idiot Stephen Smith get a job.  He's more annoying than listening to Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson trying to pronounce the English language while doing the NBA.

HaWg 10

August 08, 2005, 12:31:55 pm #7 Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 12:35:28 pm by HaWg 10 WiLd
do you guys not understand that is what Jim Rome is all about? he always says on his show.. "if you don't like me when u first hear what my show has to offer, give me some time listen to how we do things on here.. then make the call." granted when u listen to him the first time he sounds like a jerk and a cocky a$$.. give him a chance thats what his show is all ab.

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

HaWg 10

is all of this Patrick love bc we don't get Rome here in NWA?

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

McKdaddy

Quote from: HaWg 10 WiLd on August 08, 2005, 12:31:55 pm
do you guys not understand that is what Jim Rome is all about? he always says on his show.. "if you don't like me when u first hear what my show, give me some time listen to how we do things on here.. then make the call." granted when u listen to him the first time he sounds like a jerk and a cocky a$$.. give him a chance thats what his show is all ab.
I'm tired of his schtick.  It's old.  I first started listening to Rome on the Nifty 650 out in SB.  Listened to him regularly until '03 and have just tired of him.

Bomis Hawg

I don't live, nor have lived, in NWA.  I had the pleasure of listening to Rome for a while, just started to listening to Dan Patrick.  Rome definately takes a while to get used to.  But, sometimes his act gets old -- still listen to him though.  I like Czaban, Shemon/Washington, and Cox/Meyers better -- the overall package is better.

hogsanity

do you guys not understand that is what Jim Rome is all about? he always says on his show.. "if you don't like me when u first hear what my show has to offer, give me some time listen to how we do things on here.. then make the call." granted when u listen to him the first time he sounds like a jerk and a cocky a$$.. give him a chance thats what his show is all ab.

The problem with Rome is when someone disagrees with him, he takes it personally, yet when he says some of the personal stuff he says about people they are supposed to just ignore it.  Rome seems like a guy who would have made a great Shock jock or 80's talk show host.  He thrives on the conflict he stirs up. 

Patrick can be hard when he needs to, but he isnt always looking to get under someones skin.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

McKdaddy

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 08, 2005, 12:38:16 pm
I don't live, nor have lived, in NWA. I had the pleasure of listening to Rome for a while, just started to listening to Dan Patrick. Rome definately takes a while to get used to. But, sometimes his act gets old -- still listen to him though. I like Czaban, Shemon/Washington, and Cox/Meyers better -- the overall package is better.
Cox/Myers has definitely grown on me.  Get up early enough to catch the last hour of Czaban--also of quality.

mossfan3

I can't stand Rome, he is a pedro.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2005, 12:39:46 pm

The problem with Rome is when someone disagrees with him, he takes it personally, yet when he says some of the personal stuff he says about people they are supposed to just ignore it. Rome seems like a guy who would have made a great Shock jock or 80's talk show host. He thrives on the conflict he stirs up.

Patrick can be hard when he needs to, but he isnt always looking to get under someones skin.
Miss Tony Bruno--when FSR moved on from him they replaced him with Van Earl.  Lame, very lame.  Liked him enough on Sportscenter back when, but he's not up to par on radio.  He's definitely a prophet of the obvious.

Bomis Hawg

Bruno is awesome.  He moved to a radio station in LA.  He's on 8-Noon CST.

Link: 1540 The Ticket -- Santa Monica, CA

Since I have to listen to most sports shows via the Net, here's the link to the site if you are interested in listening to him.

Boared

I prefer Patrick (was even better when Dibble was his sidekick). Not that I have a problem w/ Rome's content so much as I hate those long pauses in between sentences. It's annoying as hell to listen to dead air when the point being made isn't even that important. I don't even listen to the ESPN guys, except for after Press Row or during football season on Sundays (NWA rarely airs Steelers games).

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boared on August 08, 2005, 12:58:50 pm
I prefer Patrick (was even better when Dibble was his sidekick). Not that I have a problem w/ Rome's content so much as I hate those long pauses in between sentences. It's annoying as hell to listen to dead air when the point being made isn't even that important. I don't even listen to the ESPN guys, except for after Press Row or during football season on Sundays (NWA rarely airs Steelers games).
Dan w/ Dibbs and Sals were great.  Even w/ out Sals was great--maybe even better since there weren't so many mouths in the booth.

ReturnToDynasty?

Dan Patrick, no question.  Danny P. has me in tears laughing 3 out of 5 days of the week.

HaWg 10

Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on August 08, 2005, 01:36:41 pm
Dan Patrick, no question. Danny P. has me in tears laughing 3 out of 5 days of the week.

yah cause 3 out of 5 days is all you get out of him... usually 0 out of 5.. where does this guy disappear to?

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

ReturnToDynasty?

Good point.  He has been gone lately. 

A Boy Named Sue E.

I prefer Rome hands down, although I can see why he irritates some. He did me at first too, but after awhile he grew on me. I can't stand Dan Patrick. He's smarmy and way too full of himself for my tastes. His show is boring compared to Rome's.

Flatfoot

Rome and his show sucks to me, no offense.  A phone call, rack him if he make a good call, smack off, and the other things he does just makes me feel like I am listening to a bunch of fourth graders.  Dan Patrick is ok and I can tolerate him alot better than Rome!
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

SultanofSwine

If I ever saw Rome, I think I would fill compelled to stretch a rubber over him or just shove a maxi in his pie hole.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

SiriusHog™

I prefer Rome over DP, in fact, I prefer my nuts in a vice grip over DP.  All he does is name drop and talk about himself and say crap like "i played golf with marv albert, michael jordan, and muhammed ali" blah blah blah.. by the way.. I listen to rome in NWA on 1430 am out of tulsa, or sometimes 98.7 fm out of springfield..

Buck Ocean

QuoteDan w/ Dibbs and Sals were great.

Kudos....but if ESPN cant put nothin on that could match this era, the torch is held by Rome.

They are trying to get back in the entertainment mold having Olberman on Fridays for one measly hour, but
if they really want to make some noise they need Keith on w/ Danicka 5 days a week all the show.

I'd like for the producers of Rome to try and give him a sidekick whose ass he couldn't kick and see how long they could
co-exist.  That would be great radio.
Think like a Jedi

arkhogdog61

IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

fshog

snoutface

Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

wincrimson

I like both of them. But my vote goes to Patrick.

hogrocker

I would much rather hear either of them for ten straight hours than have to bear Max Kellerman for one second.

Slacker

Slacker 5'10" 225 lbs. *ding*

Matt Jones number 18 *yo yo yo*

;D

Dan Patrick

[attachment deleted by admin]

RazrBakr

Just can't help smiling these days!!!

mikeirwin

Dan.
Rome gives me a headache.
Of course I give myself a headache most mornings too.

Lando Calrissian

Speaking of Dan Patrick, it seems like the guy has been on a 2 month vacation.

I understand why, because other than the ridiculous (predictable) MLB steroid stuff, there just isn't much national sports news going on right now.

But the NFL is gearing back up (starting with the monumental, glacier-paced preseason MNF game between the bottom-dwelling Miami Dolphins and the, well, bottom-dwelling Chicago Bears) and ESPN will soon have a billion dollar stake in the NFL...so I don't think Dan's vacation will last too much longer.

Maybe I'm just bitter because that's the mainly the time of day where I do most of my radio listening, and I really think that most of Dan's fill-ins, for lack of a better word, 'suck'.

If Reggie Miller scheduled a 30 minute "co-host" segment on Dan's show on a daily basis, I'd reschedule my life goals and give up red meat just to listen to it.  Something that entertaining is just too good to pass up. 

So, I guess given the two choices (Jim Rome or Dan Patrick), I take Dan Patrick.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

garagephilosopher

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on August 09, 2005, 02:21:32 am
If Reggie Miller scheduled a 30 minute "co-host" segment on Dan's show on a daily basis, I'd reschedule my life goals and give up red meat just to listen to it. Something that entertaining is just too good to pass up.

You were joking right?

DirkPiggler

I prefer Rome, but he does have the annoying habit of blasting sports personalities constantly then sucking their weiners when he interviews them.  If you're going to rip these guys, at least have the balls not to back down when you're actually talking to them.  Of course, maybe he still has nightmares about Chrissy Everett kicking his ass.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

A Boy Named Sue E.

Rome hands down, but Eric Casilius(sp?) blows both of them away.

McKdaddy

Quote from: A Boy Named Sue E. on August 09, 2005, 09:32:12 am
Rome hands down, but Eric Casilius(sp?) blows both of them away.
Kusileas reminds me of that old Scott Anderson show in LR.

DP explained last week that Espn has a use it or lose it policy on vacation and it's suggested at espn that it not be used extensively during the football season (sorta the way publicly traded companies recommend their accountants and other financial dept. personal not take off during a SOX audit, inventory, quarterly reporting, etc.).

TitanTiger

Sometimes Rome cracks me up, but when he gets on some hobby horse and just keeps repeating it over and over and over because he thinks it's funny...like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I lean toward Dan Patrick overall, especially now on Fridays with Keith Olbermann in studio with him.

socalhogcaller

Rome's show is very entertaining sometimes, but he thinks his opinion is the only right one.  It bugs me, but not enough to make me not want to listen. There are also times when callers call in that are so hard to listen to that I have to switch the station.  Its like fingernails scraping a chalkboard at times.

Dan is just solid, and his show is definitely better on the ears, though it rarely entertains like Rome's show can at times. Patrick gets my vote overall.

PintailKiller

Central Arkansas gets Rome 103.7 in the afternoon - is Patrick on anywhere around here? What about on the net? Rome is too opinionated and I just don't want to have to work that hard to understand what he's saying. Everybody tries to wrap up intelligent sports talk in metaphoric sarcasm and colloquial soliloquies (I've always wanted to say that - That'll send Wally Hall to his dictionary like a scalded baby to an icepack).

Central Arkansas can get Dan Patrick on 1380 am, 92.7 out of Conway - if your in the right spots, and 96.3 out of Ft Smith if your past the exit 115 in Benton. 

I prefer DP over Rome and I have listened to Rom off and on for 6 years now. 
I really prefer Dibble and Kevin Kennedy on XM 175 at 2pm.

Does anyone miss Tony Kornheiser?
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

A Boy Named Sue E.

Yeah, I miss Tony Kornheiser big time.

Whataboar™

Much prefer Dan Patrick.
Rome is too concerned with looking and sounding cool.
Patrick has a great sense of humor as well.
Everytime I hear the infamous Mickey Rivers audio cut, I just about piss on myself.  8)
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: PintailKillerDoes anyone miss Tony Kornheiser?

Yep.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: HaWg 10 WiLd on August 08, 2005, 12:17:05 pm
whos the better mid-day talk show host? i gotta give it to Rome better interviews, much better takes on what is going on, better all around show. but since we don't get Rome in NWA i settle for Dan Patrick. Bo and Irwin are still the best morning show hands down. and of corse we ALL love our Chuck for the ride home. did they completely stop carrying drive time in NWA? the AM channel i used to get them on during chuck's commercial breaks is now espanol music.
Rome makes me burn, so Dan Patrick is head and shoulders above him.

mword

Rome is an idiot, so I'd have to go with Dan Patrick.

Whataboar™

Quote from: A Boy Named Sue E. on August 15, 2005, 04:52:36 pm
Yeah, I miss Tony Kornheiser big time.
I record "Pardon the Interruption' each day on ESPN. Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon have great chemistry.
Kornheiser is just drop-dead funny. I still wish he was on ESPN Radio, though.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

PIGINAPOKE

August 19, 2005, 04:57:41 pm #49 Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 04:59:16 pm by PIGINAPOKE
Colin Cowherd is better than both rome and patrick together...easy
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?