Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big 12 boards/fans can't grasp "SEC!! SEC!! SEC!!" chants

Started by taintlint, January 08, 2008, 07:43:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

taintlint

If any of you want a laugh, go check out some Big 12 boards for HALF A SECOND. Then come back home to Hogville before the street lights come on.

I have read several Big 12 boards, mainly because they HATE the SEC and I wanted to read their thoughts after the game, and I ran across some gems such as:

"These schools largely are second or third rate academic institutions in relatively unimportant, small population states, with fewer sports distractions (Nascar anyone?). Florida is an exception in all cases.

They are insecure and insecurity causes huddling together against the stronger. OU and Oklahoma, the state have a similar **** envy of all things Texas.

The Big 10 doesn't chant Big Ten when they (rarely) win anything because they are all excellent universities who stand on their own. Texas and A$M are excellent universities (A$M in technical areas) in ways that OU, KU, and the former Big 8 schools can only dream of. "
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5401604&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=3

That was a Longhorn with that bit of info.

Anyway, I'm not sure why something so obvious to fans of schools in the SEC alludes the fans of the Big 12.

Hmmmmmmm........

IronHog

Dear Coach BP

Please stomp a mudhole in Texas then walk it dry.

Signed
The World
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jgphillips3

In the SEC, we are family.  That's why we are better.  We compete and make each other better and we look out for each others interests...that may be why we are the richest conference too. I thought it showed the kind of brotherhood of the SEC for the LSU players to chant their conference name over their individual names or the name of their school.  I was PROUD of them for that! 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2008, 07:43:19 pm
If any of you want a laugh, go check out some Big 12 boards for HALF A SECOND. The come back home to Hogville before the street lights come on.

I have read several Big 12 boards, mainly because they HATE the SEC and I wanted to read their thoughts after the game, and I ran across some gems such as:

"These schools largely are second or third rate academic institutions in relatively unimportant, small population states, with fewer sports distractions (Nascar anyone?). Florida is an exception in all cases.

They are insecure and insecurity causes huddling together against the stronger. OU and Oklahoma, the state have a similar **** envy of all things Texas.

The Big 10 doesn't chant Big Ten when they (rarely) win anything because they are all excellent universities who stand on their own. Texas and A$M are excellent universities (A$M in technical areas) in ways that OU, KU, and the former Big 8 schools can only dream of. "

That was a Longhorn with that bit of info.

Anyway, I'm not sure why something so obvious to fans of schools in the SEC alludes the fans of the Big 12.

Hmmmmmmm........

So that is Tex-ARSE talking, eh? Well, I have news for them...Oklahoma is a gtreat school academically and they have a proud tradition........even if they can;t seem to keep from choking in BCS Bowls. But Texas has no room to talk......they are considerably bigger and better in their own opinion, than anyone elses. I would love to see them have to live and play in the SEC for five years.
Go Hogs Go!

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2008, 07:57:05 pm
So that is Tex-ARSE talking, eh? Well, I have news for them...Oklahoma is a gtreat school academically and they have a proud tradition........even if they can;t seem to keep from choking in BCS Bowls. But Texas has no room to talk......they are considerably bigger and better in their own opinion, than anyone elses. I would love to see them have to live and play in the SEC for five years.

Hell, they can't even dominate the Big XII. What the heck would they do in the SEC?

El Puerco

Gimme a break.  Nice attempt to paint the south as a pack of hicks by alluding to NASCAR and implying that the schools really aren't that great.

First of all, Ohio etc has more than their share of trailer parks, rednecks, and dimwits...as an added bonus, Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are home to some of the ugliest women I've ever seen.

And, the schools being second and third rate?....Are we really going to pretend that the average college football player reflects on the academic quality of the institution? Is the argument that they got their ass kicked.....but their sociology department rocks?

Rsvlhog

Hey Taint. Have you got any good links to some of these? thanks
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

Rsvlhog

What about the look on Urban Meyers face when that player was rubbing on his head last night while they were chanting SEC. That was priceless.

HamIAm

I just about fell out of my chair laughing last night. Remember the Big 10 (er 11) conference commissioner making such a big deal about the Big 10's academic excellence after the Fiesta Bowl blowout.  I don't remember if it was the announcers or one of those schoool promos last night, but they talked about OSU's nationally recogized graduate studies program in ......dance.  Thats right, DANCE. I hope thats not what they were pinning their academic excellence claims on.

hogs25

Don't kid yourselves, their lust for the SEC in contagious especially Texas.  If the SEC called UT tomorrow and said we want you to become a member of the SEC since so and so dropped out, do you think they'd go?  Well fk yea.  Automatic Teller Machine would go too.

Pa-Paw

Quote from: hogs25 on January 08, 2008, 08:38:55 pm
Don't kid yourselves, their lust for the SEC in contagious especially Texas.  If the SEC called UT tomorrow and said we want you to become a member of the SEC since so and so dropped out, do you think they'd go?  Well fk yea.  Automatic Teller Machine would go too.

In a word........no. They have been approached in the past. A&M would come, but not Texas. Neither is going to happen as the Texas Legislature would not approve of a split up.

Grunt

Quote from: hogs25 on January 08, 2008, 08:38:55 pm

Well said. And if *anyone* ever again on this board says we should go to the inferior dozen, I will surely puke.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Rooka

thewholehog

I was at the Rice game in Houston, right before we left, and the Rice band did a scit about Arkansas being a bunch of hicks.

I remember going to some away games in the SWC the year we announced to leave.  We chanted SEC SEC SEC!!! and they were so pissed.

Sounds like they still are!!! DADGARNDFUNNY 

oldbooniehog

Here's my very honest take.

If you are a Hog fan, and you are chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and it's not Arkansas that's won the game, then I'd say you have a serious inferiority complex, and are trying to compensate for losing.

As far as I'm concerned, all SEC teams are the enemy, all the time.

That's how I saw the SWC from the time I was about five or six years old.....Any team that wasn't Arkansas was the enemy, all the time.

I find all this "conference pride" stuff mostly a way for the fans of the teams who lost to still feel some sort of pride.

Hey, our team lost! Our team failed to achieve. But you know what? We can all still root for the teams that won when our team lost! (Yeah, Arkansas did beat LSU this regular season...how many times in the last five years????)

It stinks to me.

If you every chant "SEC! SEC! SEC!" when it's not the Hogs that have won, then I say you should be backhanded, immediately.

I wish the other teams in the SEC nothing but lousy recruiting classes and losses.

obh

EastexHawg

I think the "SEC, SEC, SEC" chant is somewhere between strange, amusing, and silly, too.  I have about as much use for it as I do the wave.  They are two rituals in which you will never find me taking part.

It makes us sound like the scrawny kid who stands behind the neighborhood bully and keeps chirping, "Joe's gonna kick your butt.  Ain't that right, Joe?"

cityhog

SEC fans will stop chanting "SEC, SEC" when the national media finally recognizes across the board our obvious superiority.  The Big 10 has ESPN to toot their horn, we just have our fans.

RhodeHog

I always root for our conference when they are playing someone from a different conference.  It just makes sense to me because when our conference wins it makes the conference look stronger, thus helping all of our overall perception from the outside world.

mlloyd4

This is not an uncommon opinion among the entire SEC fan base.  I generally pull for SEC teams in OOC play, as the wins positively impact the Hogs.  But, if there was a way for both LSU and OSU to lose last night, I would have been happy.
Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 08, 2008, 10:32:57 pm

If you are a Hog fan, and you are chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and it's not Arkansas that's won the game, then I'd say you have a serious inferiority complex, and are trying to compensate for losing.

That's how I saw the SWC from the time I was about five or six years old.....Any team that wasn't Arkansas was the enemy, all the time.

I find all this "conference pride" stuff mostly a way for the fans of the teams who lost to still feel some sort of pride.

Hey, our team lost! Our team failed to achieve. But you know what? We can all still root for the teams that won when our team lost! (Yeah, Arkansas did beat LSU this regular season...how many times in the last five years????)

It stinks to me.

If you every chant "SEC! SEC! SEC!" when it's not the Hogs that have won, then I say you should be backhanded, immediately.

I wish the other teams in the SEC nothing but lousy recruiting classes and losses.

obh
WPS

Wild Bill Hog

In a nutshell, the little 12 has no tradition or history or significant present and future.  With their lack in these areas, they simply can't understand what it means to be part of the SEC.  Little 12 conference and little 12 mental capacity and little 12 present and future.

coach, my back hurts

It stinks to me.

obh

Well if we have it your way then hopefully some day the SEC will become the SunBelt of college football.  When only 1 team gets invited to a bowl and other teams pay US to come to their home for an a$$ kickin.  That doesnt make much since.

I thought OSU would romp LSU last night.  But after watching that game LSU and OSU could play 10 times and LSU would most likely win all 10 games.  They physically manhandled OSU.  Strength, speed and effort dont take nights off or have bad nights.

I'll always root for our fellow conf members.  When they do good it makes everyone else look better as well.

Put it this way.  If you where in a priliminary round of beauty contest and the girl who beat you barely won, but got voted dead last at next and biggest beauty contest, would that make you feel prettier or uglier?  Now what if that girl won or got second place?

Grunt

It stinks to me.

obh

Dude, you just don't get it. This ain't the SWC.

Theolesnort

There is nothing wrong with taking pride that you belong and compete in the best conference in the country. Good grief people stick your chest out and try it. SEC, SEC, SEC ;) See that didn't hurt now did it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

RandallA

Those SEC!!, SEC!! chants last night made me so damn proud to be a fan.

William von Hawgskett

I live in Waco, Texas so I normally get alot of smack talk and normally laugh and blow it off. However, today it seems like all of the fans from the other conferences were extremely mad/upset about the SEC. Even at the gym I was wearing my hog hat and got into a conversation with a couple of guys about the UT game next year. It ended with one of them  saying ,"Yall will suck next year like yall always have. We're going to beat yall by at least 40, and it'll show how overrated the SEC is."  I know that LSU is famous for "bad fans", but my experience with this group of obnoxious Texas fans took the cake for me. Sorry that this isn't very relevant, just made me incredibly frustrated.

hogs25

Arkansas fans ONLY break out the SEC chant for our beloved foe The Texas Longhorns period.  It felt great in '91 (14-13), '00 (27-6), and '03 (38-28) to rub it in a little.  I loved hearing LSU chanting it last night.  It has nothing to do with an inferiority complex.  We've never broke out the chant for anybody else have we?  If we have I sure don't remember it.  Give the LSU players the benefit of the doubt they just won the national championship and they were pound to represent our conference instead of hearing another LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU chant.  UM loved it last night with the LSU "Giants" rubbing on his head behind him.  LSU winning also got the sting out of me from the Cotton Bowl. 

Cale

It stinks to me.

obh

the point was, it wasn't Arkansas fans, or Florida Fans, or Tenn Fans. it was LSU fans. the fans of the team that was there, IN the national Championship. The fact that recognize that we're a conference as a whole and not just their team. LSU can say all they want till they're blue in the face, but they're only as good as their competition. The SEC is bigger than any one school, just like when you're apart of something, it's usually bigger than you.

but so what about conference pride? I think it's a good thing, it means we strive As a WHOLE to be the best.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

SigHog87

Whats wrong with being PROUD of being in the toughest conference in the nation? I want to whoop the hell out of anyone within the SEC, but I would rather a member of the SEC beat the hell out of any other team in the nation... it just validates that the SEC is the toughest conference to get through.

babywhiz

Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

ImapigUrapig

It's very similar to the olympics when we start chanting USA USA.Can you imagine how it wld sound to chant big 10 big 10 or pac 10 pac 10.LOL Seriously I do have a sense of pride being in the SEC even if  we were the only team that didn't represent.

Rsvlhog

Quote from: babywhiz on January 09, 2008, 12:17:58 am
Now these are darn funny! http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145#s=145&f=3162

Man those poor bucks are getting hammered. Fans from all over are showing up to give them a kick in the sack. The sad thing is that they are already ranked 3rd in next years poll. What's it going to take? They have already been blown out in the title game two years in a row. Unbelieveable.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=759223

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Rsvlhog on January 09, 2008, 12:45:53 am
Man those poor bucks are getting hammered. Fans from all over are showing up to give them a kick in the sack. The sad thing is that they are already ranked 3rd in next years poll. What's it going to take? They have already been blown out in the title game two years in a row. Unbelieveable.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=759223

Auburn at nine?   When do preseason expectations for Auburn ever pan out?

Every time the pollsters rank them in the preseason top 10 they blunder it away.

In '03 when they started out at 17,  they ran the table and got screwed out of the BCS title game in favor of an Oklahoma squad that got hammered by USC in Houston Nutt fashion.

Go figure?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

chiefsfan

Usually this togetherness doesnt exist in the big conferences.   I can tell you as a Sun Belt fan, we cheer for every team in our conference to win all their nonconference games.  Because it makes the conference look better, and gives us a better shot at more bowl tie ins and national respect.  Much of the same can be said for CUSA  WAC  MWC and the MAC.     It helps the conference out

You dont see it as much in the major programs because we have reached our limit.   the Big12 or Pac 10 or Big 10 or Big East or ACC doesnt gain anything by a conference mate winning.   Because the media focuses on the team and not the conference

The SEC is just different.  It is like a big family.   Most Arkansas fans hate LSU.   However thats when they are playing other conference teams.    LSU to us is like that Brother or sister that you always fight with and dont get along with.  However at the same time when they get in trouble, one of us is going to step in and help them off the ground and get them back on their way.   The next day the bickering resumes

Thats because if LSU or Bama or Auburn or whoever loses a nonconference game.   People are going to look and talk about the conference first.  Thats because we pride ourselves at being the very best in all that we do as a conference.   When bama lost to ULM earlier this year.  Sure we enjoyed picking at them because it was funny.  But at the same time is there anyone here who actually wanted them to lose that game except me.

the only thing LSU gets out of winning yesterday is national respect and a trophy;  The conference splits all their winnings evenly

When LSU wins...we all win
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Derjen

It stinks to me.

obh

Revenue sharing is a good thing!  I (and most logical Arkansas fans) wish nothing for the best for every SEC school, UNLESS they are playing the University of Arkansas.  Anything else is just self-destructive at best and naive at worse.....

Rsvlhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 09, 2008, 12:52:11 am

Auburn at nine?   When do preseason expectations for Auburn ever pan out?

Every time the pollsters rank them in the preseason top 10 they blunder it away.

In '03 when they started out at 17,  they ran the table and got screwed out of the BCS title game in favor of an Oklahoma squad that got hammered by USC in Houston Nutt fashion.

Go figure?

Those guys seem to never learn.

MacHog19

William, did you remind the UT snobs that Arkansas has won three of the last four meetings and but for Matt Jones' fumble inside the 10 in the '04 game, the count would be 4-0?  Then again, they probably wouldn't listen anyway.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

aar0n

NASCAR blows and I don't mind "yankees."  I don't even care about the civil war.  That was way too long ago.  I'm pretty sure we're over that whole deal, especially since we lost?  I mean come on people, get a grip.  Football is football is football no matter what way you look at it.  And as an added bonus to the argument, some of the SEC schools are top ranked academic facilities also.  This is what it looks like when Texans aren't considered the "best" at something.  I can't wait until the SEC shows them what they have coming for them next season. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: MacHog19 on January 09, 2008, 01:27:15 am
William, did you remind the UT snobs that Arkansas has won three of the last four meetings and but for Matt Jones' fumble inside the 10 in the '04 game, the count would be 4-0?  Then again, they probably wouldn't listen anyway.

I always pretend that the fumble never happened and CHris Balseiro hit the field goal and the final score was 23-20.  I don't live in the state of Arkansas.  I live in the state of Denial :-P  Besides, most people don't know/remember what happened so I can usually get away with it.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Grunt

Quote from: William von Hawgskett on January 08, 2008, 11:47:12 pm
I live in Waco, Texas so I normally get alot of smack talk and normally laugh and blow it off. However, today it seems like all of the fans from the other conferences were extremely mad/upset about the SEC. Even at the gym I was wearing my hog hat and got into a conversation with a couple of guys about the UT game next year. It ended with one of them  saying ,"Yall will suck next year like yall always have. We're going to beat yall by at least 40, and it'll show how overrated the SEC is."  I know that LSU is famous for "bad fans", but my experience with this group of obnoxious Texas fans took the cake for me. Sorry that this isn't very relevant, just made me incredibly frustrated.

But you're a superior sort of fan, not of the irk found in Texas and Oklahoma.

Darren DeLoach

if i remember correctly, when the hogs won the ncaa's in 1994, our players also did the sec chant.

it's a matter of pride--no harm in it at all.

we are in the greatest sports conference period, we and all members of the sec should be proud.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hogfan_no1

Simply put, other conferences are jealous of the SEC.  They can't recruit the talent, speed and pure athleticism that seem to come naturally for the SEC.

I have ALWAYS rooted for SEC teams against OOC foes.  (I don't remember doing that in the old SWC days.  I ALWAYS wanted Texas, aTm, SMU, etc. to lose).  Conference pride is realtively new to this hog fan, but that comes with being part of the best conference in the country.  (That last sentence is not even open for debate).  An SEC win against an OOC school will always make Arkansas (and every other SEC school) look better.  Our "strength of schedule" and "Power Rating" will only go up.

That said, I'm now at a crossroad.  I am ready to make an exception for one SEC member.  I hope Ole Miss' football team loses 63-0 every time they take the field - regardless whether it's an SEC school or not.  (I'll still root for Ole Miss basketball when they play OOC).
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Milton

We beat each other up so much in the SEC that we make each other better. We don't like each other during the season but when it comes to bowl games we all root for each other and like said earlier become a family.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

NWASooner

Maybe next year if you lose to say, Alabama at home, you should start chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" after the game.

Why are SEC fans the only ones who care about conference rankings?

Milton

Were not most conferences do, with the exception of the Ivy league schools
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: thewholehog on January 08, 2008, 10:03:41 pm
I was at the Rice game in Houston, right before we left, and the Rice band did a scit about Arkansas being a bunch of hicks.

I remember going to some away games in the SWC the year we announced to leave.  We chanted SEC SEC SEC!!! and they were so pissed.

Sounds like they still are!!! DADGARNDFUNNY 

That right there started the SEC SEC SEC tradition. Arkansas fans were responsible. And it caught on like wildfire. At least, I never heard it before the press conference when Broyles announced our move to the Southeastern Conference.

DeltaBoy

I would Love to see Texass in the SEC for about 2 years  They would get their Clocks cleaned and reset for them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.