Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan Heath's South Florida Big East thread

Started by mathhog, January 02, 2008, 08:12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

January 02, 2008, 08:12:23 pm Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:01:53 pm by mathhog
first big east game for the bulls, home against hapless Rutgers

USF is beating Rutgers on espn2 now... but the game is in the 30's in the second half...

sigh...

UPDATE: South Florida is sticking in there at syracuse but they are still down on the road
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/gamecast?gameId=280050183

UPDATE:  USF again on espn2, vs pittsburgh at home, starting at 730 central

HawgG

They struggled with their shooting facing a bigger team but were able to close strong in the last 10 minutes of the game which is what all coaches like to see from their team.

Stan doesn't have much right now, but Granberry is as good of a PF there is and how good is true freshmen G Dominique Jones.

I brought his name up on here before and now the rest of the country had there chance to see the kid play.He showed great poise and awareness playing at his natural position SG and playing a great PG about half the game because of foul trouble and ineffectiveness of the starter.

USF may just win 15 games this year, maybe more but 15 should be the goal and that will help build the future where they can be much, much better.

collenfan16

In the Big East...They'll maybe win 14....Maybe...

Modsquad24

tonight they played the worst team in the big east they will play, unless they play Depaul, not taking anything away from them but the road is about to get rougher for them. GHG!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: collenfan16 on January 02, 2008, 09:18:46 pm
In the Big East...They'll maybe win 14....Maybe...
I say 13.  And they won't make the Big East Tourney either.  If they are able to win 14, then they will make the Big East Tourney as the 12th team, but I don't see them winning 14.

With that said, next year Heath will have them as one of the top 10 teams in the Big East.  While he is not a great x's and o's coach, he sure can recruit.

collenfan16

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 02, 2008, 10:15:04 pm
I say 13.  And they won't make the Big East Tourney either.  If they are able to win 14, then they will make the Big East Tourney as the 12th team, but I don't see them winning 14.

With that said, next year Heath will have them as one of the top 10 teams in the Big East.  While he is not a great x's and o's coach, he sure can recruit.
I can't remember..But sometime in the future..It'll be all the Big East teams in the Conference tourney.

HawgG

Quote from: collenfan16 on January 02, 2008, 10:33:56 pm
I can't remember..But sometime in the future..It'll be all the Big East teams in the Conference tourney.

Starting next season all Big East teams are eligible for their tournament which only makes sense and dollars as well.

HawgG

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 02, 2008, 10:15:04 pm

Heath's a better HC then some may think, in fact it is his recruiting that I have been critical of the last few seasons as I have talked about on this board.

In fact from what I have been able to gather is that Heath is a different man and HC at USF then he was at Arkansas.Motivation and Pride will do that to a man.Also Frank Broyles is not his AD anymore.

Razorod

Broyles not being the AD is why we should have waited one more year on Stan. I'm not really a Heath fan, but I still think he should have gotten this year, especially after the reports about making the NCAAs.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

tolerati

I am happy to stick with who we have. I prefer Pelphrey's style of play and discipline to Heath's. Heath is a good man and I wish him well but I think he fits better at USF and Pelphrey fits better at Arkansas.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Razorod

Quote from: rzrbkman on January 03, 2008, 03:06:39 pm
You're kidding! Right?
Again, I said I am no fan of Heath's, but we are no better or worse this year for having Pel. If we had waited one more year, then we might have gotten the coach we should have hired this past year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

deucea729

Quote from: Razorod on January 03, 2008, 03:22:00 pm
Again, I said I am no fan of Heath's, but we are no better or worse this year for having Pel. If we had waited one more year, then we might have gotten the coach we should have hired this past year.

It's been said before, but the timing of Heath's firing was mostly about recruiting.  We had made the decision already that he was not the long-term answer for us, and we had the vast majority of the team graduating this year.  If we retained Heath for this year, but left him obviously on the hot seat, there is no way we sign the #6 recruiting class in the country with uncertainty at head coach.

It was vital to the next 5-10 years of the program that we make the move when we did.

HawgG

Quote from: donewithdale on January 05, 2008, 01:06:28 pm
A better coach? WTH are you talking about?  Our team has a pitiful basketball IQ.  Their skills are crap for a group of upperclassmen.  Fran F basically spelled out in PR describing this team as great athletes with poor basketball skills and intelligence.  Yet Stan is a better coach than some think? 

What did Frank do to Stan besides firing him when he should have?
Quote from: donewithdale on January 05, 2008, 01:08:02 pm
Who is this coach we should have hired?  And how was Stan supposed to replace 6 players in recruiting as a coach on his way out? 
I'm going to group both of your statements togather because this won't take long to reply to a person without facts to back up what he said.

My good man you didn't realize that you just desribed a bad team with very little room to grow.The same team that with less experience and a tougher schedule that Stan Heath help guide to the NCAAT under pressure.

You can't have both, it has to be we have a very talented and high potential team but Stan was so bad they under achieved or it has to be that Stan over came the many flaws on the team and won.

Stan wasn't able to hire the assitants he wanted and couldn't fire the ones that he needed to because he didn't hire them.Wheather Stan was to succeed or not should have all been on Stan not an AD that had retired in order to take the pressure off Nutt which is what Frank did at the time.There's more but that is for another time.

Rick Majerus wanted the job, John Brady wanted the job, so did Purnell and Grant who had no chance because those two are black coaches despite them playing an uptempo style that was suppose to be the main thing for the next hire.There are others but I can't think right off hand.

Arkansas could have made an offer to the best HC in the SECW, Andy Kennedy but that didn't happen.

BTW all those coaches including Stan have better resumes then coach Pelphrey, like it
or not that is a fact.

As for as recruiting which is my speciality, You should have ventured over to the recruiting board much earlier and I promised you that you would have had your anwser about how was Stan going to fill those 6 scholarships.In fact he may have needed more.

BTW if you had said that Stan didn't recruit as well most of the time he was here then I would agreed with you and likely never made this reply, as I was the first on this board to point that out a while ago.

Bigfoot

Modsquad24

January 07, 2008, 10:25:04 am #15 Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:27:20 am by Modsquad24
hawg G you make the dumbest posts in this state, no this country.... no this world?

WADHOG

Anyone who watched Pelphrey's show last night should've immediately forgotten Stan Heath's name.  After hearing his comments on his assistants, and in turn their comments about him, I am highly impressed.  This guy is a bright young coach, who is mature enough to realize that assistants are very important.  He has enought confidence in himself to surround himself with good assistants and not worry about who gets the credit.  As a matter of fact, I think he would rather give the credit than receive it.  I think we have a real special coach here.  This year could be very good, and in two years we should be VERY good.  I think the hangover of losing so many players might hurt some next year, but the program is where it needs to be at this point.IMO

WADHOG

Quote from: HawgG on January 07, 2008, 06:14:13 am
I'm going to group both of your statements togather because this won't take long to reply to a person without facts to back up what he said.

My good man you didn't realize that you just desribed a bad team with very little room to grow.The same team that with less experience and a tougher schedule that Stan Heath help guide to the NCAAT under pressure.

You can't have both, it has to be we have a very talented and high potential team but Stan was so bad they under achieved or it has to be that Stan over came the many flaws on the team and won.

Stan wasn't able to hire the assitants he wanted and couldn't fire the ones that he needed to because he didn't hire them.Wheather Stan was to succeed or not should have all been on Stan not an AD that had retired in order to take the pressure off Nutt which is what Frank did at the time.There's more but that is for another time.

Rick Majerus wanted the job, John Brady wanted the job, so did Purnell and Grant who had no chance because those two are black coaches despite them playing an uptempo style that was suppose to be the main thing for the next hire.There are others but I can't think right off hand.

Arkansas could have made an offer to the best HC in the SECW, Andy Kennedy but that didn't happen.

BTW all those coaches including Stan have better resumes then coach Pelphrey, like it
or not that is a fact.

As for as recruiting which is my speciality, You should have ventured over to the recruiting board much earlier and I promised you that you would have had your anwser about how was Stan going to fill those 6 scholarships.In fact he may have needed more.

BTW if you had said that Stan didn't recruit as well most of the time he was here then I would agreed with you and likely never made this reply, as I was the first on this board to point that out a while ago.

Take out Stan Heath's ONE year in the Elite Eight, and what is so great about his resume??  Pelphrey PLAYED in the SEC, and tutored under Billy Donovan.  Izzo is a good coach, but who would you rather have out of he and Donovan.  Pelphrey also did a heck of a job with SAU as the HEAD coach.  Stan Heath's teams were the laziest teams I have ever seen.  Look at how much better shape we are in and how much harder we play.  He's already getting way more out of Stan's players than Heath ever did.  I like Stan Heath, and I wish him well, but as a Hog fan, I am elated with Pelphrey here.

HawgG

Quote from: Modsquad24 on January 07, 2008, 10:25:04 am
hawg G you make the dumbest posts in this state, no this country.... no this world?

Whoaaaaaa I'm am blown away by your post that is filled with facts and logic disputing what I said.

However more importantly you actually got up to 62 words this time, I have to say I'm very impressed Modsquad24.Hopefully by this time next month you will be around 75 words which will continue your steady progress.

Just keep putting down any and all words you can come up with and eventually you will be able to form whole sentences.Isn't that exciting. :)

Remember to keep believing in yourself and no matter what others may think or say you to can be somebody.

I will continue to support your goal of becoming a good writer even if it takes the next 20 years I will still be in your corner. ;)

chiefsfan

QuoteRick Majerus wanted the job, John Brady wanted the job,

JOHN BRADY????????????????????

He's Lucky that LSU hasnt fired him yet, he's hated in Tiger land.   In fact last year the one thing we always thanked god about was that Stan Heath was a better coach then John Brady.  And here you are pointing out that we could have been better off with Brady as head coach

Rick Majerus has so many health problems it isnt funny, and we want him as head coach over Pelphrey?

Okay I can understand that there may be better coaches out there then Pelphrey.  But surely you are not dumb enough to think that John Brady Rick Majerus and Anthony Grant would be better options?   Purnell would at least have had ACC experience, but that means nothing

We got the best coach we could have gotten, period.   end of sentence.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Dropkick

I'll stick with Pel and wish Stan luck in his new endeavors.

HawgG

Quote from: WADHOG on January 07, 2008, 10:59:01 am
Take out Stan Heath's ONE year in the Elite Eight, and what is so great about his resume??  Pelphrey PLAYED in the SEC, and tutored under Billy Donovan.  Izzo is a good coach, but who would you rather have out of he and DonovanPelphrey also did a heck of a job with SAU as the HEAD coach.  Stan Heath's teams were the laziest teams I have ever seen.  Look at how much better shape we are in and how much harder we play.  He's already getting way more out of Stan's players than Heath ever did.  I like Stan Heath, and I wish him well, but as a Hog fan, I am elated with Pelphrey here.

You know what guys I really wish it will be a day when I can just come on this board and enjoy good digital conversations like it was a while ago.However I mostly just run into insane posts like this one here when I sign in.

Sighs,,,,,,, Alright pay attention I'm only going to respond to what I highlighted in bold if that is ok with you.

You can't remove Stan' s elite 8 finish in order to make your point.I or anyone can just say well you take out Coach Pelphrey's one NCAAT appearance and he goes from barely a plus .500 coach to wayyy below average.Now that doesn't sound good at all do it?Heath resume also contains a sucessfull rebuilding effort at Arkansas.He did leave Coach Pelphrey a top 20 team, they didn't stay long but you can't change the fact.

For you say that about Izzo makes you seem a little silly.We all see the Billy Donavan with 2 NCAA Championships but have we forgotten the Billy Donavan that was the punch line of everyone's joke.Donavan was nationally known as a coach that could get the best talent but could never get the results from such great recruiting.He always went after the elite of the elite and year after year he and his teams underachieved considering.Guess who was his top assistant during those periods when Donavan was considered overrated, yes our on John Pelphrey.In fact it wasn't until Pelphrey left and Grant became the top assistant that Donavan started to improve and I know that because Billy Donavan himself said that a large part of his recent success is because Coach Grant changed the way Florida recruited.

I have listed on this board several times about Coach Pelphrey and SAU so I won't go into that again unless it is a special request.Although using your logic maybe Dickey Nutt should be the Razorbacks HC since he is 4-2 against Pelphrey.Can you imagine Nutt coaching our team, scary isn't it.

I frankly don't know how you could say that at this point with what has already happened in the season, cough,,,  Appalachian State,  Appalachian State.I mean look the season is still young and with this weak SEC schedule coming up I'm sure the Hogs will have a lot of success just be patient.

There is nothing wrong with that statement.You and others should be very happy that Pelphrey is the HC and pull for the Razorbacks to do there best just like I do.It makes no sense to always compare Heath and Pelphrey since both are happy where they are now.

HawgG

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 07, 2008, 01:21:50 pm

He's Lucky that LSU hasnt fired him yet, he's hated in Tiger land.   In fact last year the one thing we always thanked god about was that Stan Heath was a better coach then John Brady.  And here you are pointing out that we could have been better off with Brady as head coach

Rick Majerus has so many health problems it isnt funny, and we want him as head coach over Pelphrey?

Okay I can understand that there may be better coaches out there then Pelphrey.  But surely you are not dumb enough to think that John Brady Rick Majerus and Anthony Grant would be better options?   Purnell would at least have had ACC experience, but that means nothing

We got the best coach we could have gotten, period.   end of sentence.
Surely you aren't dumb enough to say that those coaches resumes aren't better then Pelphrey's?

This didn't start about who peferred but about facts based on resumes.If it was about who would be peferred then I would have said either Coach Cal(yes I like the guy) or Andy Kennedy who should have at least gotten a call from Arkansas to gauge his interest.The best coach in the SEC deserves to have his phone ring.

Keep up chief!

HawgG

Quote from: Dropkick on January 07, 2008, 01:25:59 pm
I'll stick with Pel and wish Stan luck in his new endeavors.

Thank you because that it how I feel and if the rest write what you just did then I could do something else better then go through the same old every single time the Razorbacks win or run that extra foot in practice.

Hogtropolis™

And the losing streak begins.  I would be willing to bet that the losing streak will be at least 7 games and they will probably pick up a win against St. Johns to end the losing streak.

porkenstein

Pel and Heath are two very different people.

I'll take Pel's style / mentality over Heath every time.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Heath is a whole different person at USF. *rollseyes*

WADHOG

Quote from: HawgG on January 07, 2008, 01:42:14 pm
You know what guys I really wish it will be a day when I can just come on this board and enjoy good digital conversations like it was a while ago.However I mostly just run into insane posts like this one here when I sign in.

Sighs,,,,,,, Alright pay attention I'm only going to respond to what I highlighted in bold if that is ok with you.

You can't remove Stan' s elite 8 finish in order to make your point.I or anyone can just say well you take out Coach Pelphrey's one NCAAT appearance and he goes from barely a plus .500 coach to wayyy below average.Now that doesn't sound good at all do it?Heath resume also contains a sucessfull rebuilding effort at Arkansas.He did leave Coach Pelphrey a top 20 team, they didn't stay long but you can't change the fact.

For you say that about Izzo makes you seem a little silly.We all see the Billy Donavan with 2 NCAA Championships but have we forgotten the Billy Donavan that was the punch line of everyone's joke.Donavan was nationally known as a coach that could get the best talent but could never get the results from such great recruiting.He always went after the elite of the elite and year after year he and his teams underachieved considering.Guess who was his top assistant during those periods when Donavan was considered overrated, yes our on John Pelphrey.In fact it wasn't until Pelphrey left and Grant became the top assistant that Donavan started to improve and I know that because Billy Donavan himself said that a large part of his recent success is because Coach Grant changed the way Florida recruited.

I have listed on this board several times about Coach Pelphrey and SAU so I won't go into that again unless it is a special request.Although using your logic maybe Dickey Nutt should be the Razorbacks HC since he is 4-2 against Pelphrey.Can you imagine Nutt coaching our team, scary isn't it.

I frankly don't know how you could say that at this point with what has already happened in the season, cough,,,  Appalachian State,  Appalachian State.I mean look the season is still young and with this weak SEC schedule coming up I'm sure the Hogs will have a lot of success just be patient.

There is nothing wrong with that statement.You and others should be very happy that Pelphrey is the HC and pull for the Razorbacks to do there best just like I do.It makes no sense to always compare Heath and Pelphrey since both are happy where they are now.

Insane?  So Stan Heath rebuilt the program, and I am insane??  Try your best to belittle Donovan, but I didn't see the pros offering Izzo Five Million, did you?  I'm sure they are insane too.  I didn't even mention the fact that you pulled the race card after we had a black coach for twenty years, fired him, and hired another black coach, yeah, I'm the one who's insane.

hawgsav1

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 07, 2008, 01:21:50 pm

He's Lucky that LSU hasnt fired him yet, he's hated in Tiger land.   In fact last year the one thing we always thanked god about was that Stan Heath was a better coach then John Brady.  And here you are pointing out that we could have been better off with Brady as head coach

Okay I can understand that there may be better coaches out there then Pelphrey.  But surely you are not dumb enough to think that John Brady Rick Majerus and Anthony Grant would be better options?   Purnell would at least have had ACC experience, but that means nothing

We got the best coach we could have gotten, period.   end of sentence.

Anthony Grant would have been a great hire.  Both Grant and Pelphrey have had similar amounts of experience and both coaches tutored under Billy Donovan.  I think we made a great hire.  I would have personally preferred Mike Anderson, but I really like Pelphrey too...both recruit well and work their players a$$es off...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HawgG

Quote from: donewithdale on January 07, 2008, 03:26:55 pm
Why do you defend Stan so strongly?  Just curious as I would like to find out why you are so disrespectful to those who make comments about him.

And to let you know, I was one of Stan's last defenders on our message boards.  I asked for patience with him those first few seasons as Hog fans criticized because it was obvious he was getting better players than he inherited. 

Do you have some personal connection to Stan?  Also, please explain your allegations of racism and the details behind Broyles' meddling with Stan's staff and program

I am so tire this morning but I will do my best to answer your questions, I may edit something in later once I recover a little bit.

1)I don't just defend Stan I defend the truth.I have asked many times for posters just like you to list at least one fact to discredit what I write, but as months go by there hasn't been one fact disputing anything I say.On the other hand I find it easy to find facts to back up my statements, some of which I have placed on the very board 2 years ago.I don't just make things up and read down to the rest of my replies and you will see what I mean.

Now as for as disrespecting other posters goes well if setting the record straight is disrespecting then I just have no way of changing that.The one thing I know in life is it is a lot easier to hear a lie then it is the truth.Frankly I like every, just about every person on hogville even it we agree on something or not.I don't smite and run and I sure as hell don't ignore anybody because those that do that are just cowards and shouldn't be on any messege board.

2)Wheather or not you were a defender of Stan is your business and believe it or not I have been very critical of Stan as I was with Nolan and as I am now with Stan at USF and Pelphrey here.The difference with me is I don't use personal perference instead just good old hard facts to make my point if the situation calls for it.

3)No personal connection to Stan, however I have been called the name of an assistant coach that was on Stan's staff when I posted on a lesser board.No truth to that.

4)Skip for now.

I Wonder what the tone would have been if Stan had a top 20 team and lost to App State?Funny how the players are overrated now isn't.

5)JFB wouldn't allow Stan to hire the coaches he wanted or fire the ones that deserved it at least that is what I hear and since there is a history of Broyles doing that to Head Coaches before I lean towards that being the truth.As for as the assistant coaches that Stan wanted to dump, well if you have been following past Hog assistants then you can figure out who they are.

That is the best I can do right now as my tank is about empty. :)

HawgG

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 07, 2008, 04:06:01 pm
And the losing streak begins.  I would be willing to bet that the losing streak will be at least 7 games and they will probably pick up a win against St. Johns to end the losing streak.

Aren't you the same fella that bet they would loose to both UAB and Wake, but once they beat UAB you tucked tail, ran and hid.

Just say NO to gambling.

HawgG

Quote from: porkenstein on January 07, 2008, 04:37:44 pm
Pel and Heath are two very different people.

I'll take Pel's style / mentality over Heath every time.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Heath is a whole different person at USF. *rollseyes*

Actually he is different as he should be seeing that he really has no choice as that job is not an easy one and HC jobs are not easy to get either.

HawgG

January 08, 2008, 07:07:20 am #31 Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:11:28 am by HawgG
Quote from: WADHOG on January 07, 2008, 07:38:31 pm
Insane?  So Stan Heath rebuilt the program, and I am insane??  Try your best to belittle Donovan, but I didn't see the pros offering Izzo Five Million, did you?  I'm sure they are insane too.  I didn't even mention the fact that you pulled the race card after we had a black coach for twenty years, fired him, and hired another black coach, yeah, I'm the one who's insane.

Didn't Arkansas go to back-to-back NCAATs.Wasn't Arkansas a top 20 team this season, they didn't stay long but, well you know.All that started at the lowest point in Razorbacks basketball history not to long ago.

How can I belittle Donavan when the National media, his fans, and other team's fans have already done that long before I ever came on this board.If you think I made that stuff up then you really are behind on your basketball knowledge.

Race card, what race card? There is no double standard here and Nolan, Heath, and others can relate to that.They all enjoyed there time here and were always treated like a King.

Boar_Ryder

Quote from: HawgG on January 08, 2008, 07:07:20 am
Didn't Arkansas go to back-to-back NCAATs.Wasn't Arkansas a top 20 team this season, they didn't stay long but, well you know.All that started at the lowest point in Razorbacks basketball history not to long ago.

How can I belittle Donavan when the National media, his fans, and other team's fans have already done that long before I ever came on this board.If you think I made that stuff up then you really are behind on your basketball knowledge.

Race card, what race card? There is no double standard here and Nolan, Heath, and others can relate to that.They all enjoyed there time here and were always treated like a King.

I lived in Raleigh, NC until I transferred back South and I do remember things said about Billy as it related to him may be looking for the big fish a little to much.He got burned on a few occasions
but really has come into his own fast in the last few years, and it is not just the titles.I don't see him getting bad chemistry boys like Lee, Walsh, and Roberson again.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: HawgG on January 08, 2008, 06:58:18 am
Aren't you the same fella that bet they would loose to both UAB and Wake, but once they beat UAB you tucked tail, ran and hid.

Just say NO to gambling.

I'm also the one that posted this, and I will still say that USF will be VERY lucky to make the Big East Tourney.  They are not a good basketball team yet.

Quote from: HawgG on December 09, 2007, 06:11:36 am
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on December 20, 2007, 10:36:09 am
Whats that?

You told me to feel free to bring up this tread in mid Febuary, well how about I bring it up on December 9th instead.

Looks like I was right the first time and I will repeat what I said earlier look outside your window and see that there is actually other things going on.

BTW I never said that USF was a world beater, but that they are better then anyone believed they would be 10 games into the season.Arkansas and USF expectations are not the same as the Razorbacks have dreams of making the Final 4 and USF just wants to get into the Big East Tournament for the 1st time in school history and hopfully a NIT berth.

Heath is a much better coach then most people here give him credit for being.What he is doing is very similar to what Andy Kennedy did at Ole Miss last season and as you may or may not know I call Kennedy the best HC in the SECW by a wide margin.
So USF beat UAB, but they still lost to WF.  And they are not going to be sitting any better going into Big East play than they were last year.  They will be 9-4 instead of 9-5.  Not that much of a difference.

They are not a very good team right now and they will be very, very lucky to even make it to the Big East tourney.  There are about 9-10 teams that are a lock and then USF will be fighting with 6 other teams for 2 more spots.  I personally don't think that they will make it.

I still say give Heath 2 more years and he will have them in the Big East tournament every year, but they just aren't there yet IMO.

porkenstein

HawgG,

Why do you keep asserting that the Hogs are a top 20 team?

And for the record, I was on the Grant bandwagon hoping he would come here.

IMNSHO, Heath was a decent coach. Not great, just decent. More than anything, he seemed to lack a coach's personality, as if he hadn't quite ironed out his "coach" identity yet. Maybe he's figured it out now, I don't really know. Pelphrey knows that this is his shot and he's coming in here guns blazing chin out. So far, he seems to be a pretty tough nut, no BS, and fans respect that.

HawgG

Quote from: porkenstein on January 08, 2008, 10:22:33 am
HawgG,

Why do you keep asserting that the Hogs are a top 20 team?

And for the record, I was on the Grant bandwagon hoping he would come here.

IMNSHO, Heath was a decent coach. Not great, just decent. More than anything, he seemed to lack a coach's personality, as if he hadn't quite ironed out his "coach" identity yet. Maybe he's figured it out now, I don't really know. Pelphrey knows that this is his shot and he's coming in here guns blazing chin out. So far, he seems to be a pretty tough nut, no BS, and fans respect that.

Because they were a top 20 team coming into the season by all those that make a living drawing up the rankings.

I myself picked this team to win 30 games and make it to the Final 4 long before the season even started.My thinking was they have the most experience team that I can remember combined with a weak nc schedule and a rebuilding SEC leading me to think that this team will get a great seeding in the '08 NCAAT bettering their chances to advance.I am big believer in the seeding process determining how well a team does in March.I also believe in momentum helping you get there and is accomplished by beating the teams lower then you.

I said before I am shocked that the team has had the results they have and make no mistake about it the nc season was a failure, and beating Baylor does not make up for losing to Providence, App St, and OU all teams that Arkansas should have beaten this time of the year.

I also know that the SEC season can provide a fresh start and my prediction of 30 wins still has a chance to come true.However I also know that Arkansas has to beat Andy Kennedy's Ole Miss team twice, beat Tenn, and beat Vandy of which they have had the number of lately.

BTW I will be glad when some other school gets Andy Kennedy out of the SEC and I'm sure other teams' fans feel the same way, the man is just too damn good.As long as he is there the Rebels are going to be atop of the SECW and so far he has done that with less then ideal talent, although that is about to change.

HawgG

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 08, 2008, 09:54:16 am
I'm also the one that posted this, and I will still say that USF will be VERY lucky to make the Big East Tourney.  They are not a good basketball team yet.

I never ever said that USF is a good team this season, never.When I say their goal is to try and win 15 games that should say just where their program is.

It is a reason why that job is considered the toughest in D-1 basketball.I don't know if Heath can get it done there or not, but he will give it his all and with the right support, serious up grades to the facilities he might do the damn near impossible, make USF basketball meaningful in the Big East.

If Heath can at least build up that program those that say he is a bad coach will have no credibilty and words will fall on deaf's ear.Actually they don't now but I won't go there on this reply.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: HawgG on January 08, 2008, 12:11:50 pm
I never ever said that USF is a good team this season, never.When I say their goal is to try and win 15 games that should say just where their program is.

It is a reason why that job is considered the toughest in D-1 basketball.I don't know if Heath can get it done there or not, but he will give it his all and with the right support, serious up grades to the facilities he might do the damn near impossible, make USF basketball meaningful in the Big East.

If Heath can at least build up that program those that say he is a bad coach will have no credibilty and words will fall on deaf's ear.Actually they don't now but I won't go there on this reply.
I think Heath will do just fine down there.  I just don't think he will do much at all this year.  Remember his first year here?  It was horrible.  But he did a very good job turning our program around, and I think he will be able to do the same with USF.

rushhog

I find it hard to argue with a person who claims Coach Pel coached at "SAU". He's probably never been to Magnolia. It's known as the University of South Alabama or, USA.

rushhog

I find it hard to argue with a person who claims Coach Pel coached at "SAU". He's probably never been to Magnolia. It's known as the University of South Alabama or, USA.

WADHOG

Quote from: HawgG on January 08, 2008, 07:07:20 am

You stated"so did Purnell and Grant who had no chance because those two are black coaches despite them playing"... what is that?  You are in complete denial.  You are the one degrading Billy Donovan, and I am behind on my basketball knowledge?  Just because you have Allen Iverson's fat head on your wall doesn't mean jack.

HawgG

Quote from: WADHOG on January 09, 2008, 06:05:21 pm
You stated"so did Purnell and Grant who had no chance because those two are black coaches despite them playing"... what is that?  You are in complete denial.  You are the one degrading Billy Donovan, and I am behind on my basketball knowledge?  Just because you have Allen Iverson's fat head on your wall doesn't mean jack.

OK I'll be a sucker and respond to the samething again.

BTW I don't have AI's FatHead on the wall.Let's see....... I have Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq, Lucy Lawless(Zena), Melyssa Ford, Summer Walker(wife), Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Shari, Esther, Vida, and some Tenchi Muya and Marvel Heroes stuff.

mathhog

SOUTH FLORIDA on ESPN2 tonight... vs pittsburgh

SLC

For those who are watching the game, Heath has given up on this one.  Team is down by 17 pts after a 10 pt run. 

I have one observation about this game. 
First, Jamie Dixon, the Pitt coach, is up the whole game coaching.  Contrast that w/ who Heath has been sitting down observing a lot of the game. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

RedSatinHog

QuoteRick Majerus wanted the job, John Brady wanted the job,

Either one of those guys would have been a disaster for us.

Majerus left Utah for health reasons which will never leave him so long as there is a hamburger stand nearby.  He then proceeded to take the Southern Cal job, only to step down a week later.

John Brady is probably the most hated man in Baton Rouge right now.  That's saying something, given the disdain you'll find across the board for Nick Saban.

Oliver Pernell was being considered as a finalist right along with Pelphrey.  After 2 African American coaching hires in a row, you hardly have the room to accuse the U of A of being racist with this hire.  Anthony Grant's resume was alot like Heath's, except that Heath's KSU squad made it all the way to the elite 8 in his only year as head coach.  All Grant's team did was beat Duke in one of that program's worst seasons during Coach K's tenures

Pelphrey is a great coach.  He has succeeded where Heath failed with a team which was fundamentally lacking.  Sure there are alot of things which need to be polished up, but anyone who expected this team to be ranked in the top 5 in the country headed into conference play needs to sue their brains for non-support.  Heath darn sure wouldn't have gotten them there.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

cthog99

ok, going to see stan heath and usf take on providence on saturday. when heath's announced, do i boo, applaud, or do nothing at all?

Boar_Ryder

Quote from: Ar_Hog on January 09, 2008, 09:34:51 pm
I have a few observations about this game if I may.

USF

1. Poor half court offense

2. Poor rebounding

3. Poor shot selection

4. Mediocre defense

5. Fans leaving with 5 minutes left in the game

Sound familiar?

USF welcome to Stan Heath's version of boring basketball.

BTW this Gransberry kid is big and strong, too bad he doesn't have a coach that has the knowledge to showcase his skills.....

Thank God for Coach Pel!!

Wow I'm new to this board but not new to the whole message board thing.I have to say that maybe the lousy talent at a lousy school should have been the best observation after watching that game.

Being very familiar with Big East basketball I can easily tell what the problem is and will be for Heath's Bulls team and that's lack of BEAST caliber players.

South FL has maybe two BEAST players of a roster of 13 and that simply will not do well against a team like PITT.Even without their two starting guards they were three times as talented as the Bulls.No.23 for PITT was a man playing with boys all night.

As my girl Doris Burke said doing the game Heath can turn South FL around but it is going take a commitment to basketball by the university and recruiting.

What have they had in 37 years of basketball like 4 tounament appearances, talk about lack of tradition, ouch.Well I guess that speaks of what kind man Heath is for taking such a job when he could have just sitout and collected a check for Arkansas.