Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ellis Johnson?

Started by go hogues, January 01, 2008, 04:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go hogues

Is this the "Big Hire" we were all hoping for?  No offense, but having 400,000 to flash at a DC and we end up with MSU's DC?  They let LSU score 40+ and they could not contain the Hogs, why did Petrino make this hire?  What do I need to know to change my opinion? 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

LuckyGiraffe

Look at the SERIOUS lack of talent that he was coaching on that defense!

1 player named to first team defense S - Derek Pegues
1 player named to second team defense DE - Titus Brown

Flatline

Quote from: hawgfan923 on January 01, 2008, 04:21:41 pm
Look at the SERIOUS lack of talent that he was coaching on that defense!

1 player named to first team defense S - Derek Pegues
1 player named to second team defense DE - Titus Brown

and he was stopping teams with it. 

secfan1

Come on Arkansas fans.  Lets not start bashing his staff yet. 

Malzahn for D-Coordinator

go hogues

Quote from: secfan1 on January 01, 2008, 04:25:11 pm
Come on Arkansas fans.  Lets not start bashing his staff yet. 

Malzahn for D-Coordinator
I'm not bashing.  I probably just don't follow things closely enough to recognize whether Johnson is good or not.  I had just not heard his name and you know what kind of images anything ole miss or msu conjures up.  Personnally, I hope he can come in and be great.  I just did not know much about him. 

WPS
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogfansince79

Quote from: go hogues on January 01, 2008, 04:16:32 pm
Is this the "Big Hire" we were all hoping for?  No offense, but having 400,000 to flash at a DC and we end up with MSU's DC?  They let LSU score 40+ and they could not contain the Hogs, why did Petrino make this hire?  What do I need to know to change my opinion? 

His stats at MSU didn't do a whole lot for me either, but check out paragraph 5 and 6 at this link...

http://www.mstateathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90894&SPID=10997&DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=931605&Q_SEASON=2007
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

The real Hogules

Let's put it this way, Missouri's RB Temple wouldn't now hold the Cotton Bowl record for rushing yards if Ellis Johnson had been our DC!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ThisTeetsTaken

If you can't see that the ONLY reason MSU got to and won a bowl game this year is because of their defense, then you just don't pay attention.   His defense is solid.   IMO he is an upgrade from Herring. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hogfansince79

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 01, 2008, 04:34:30 pm
Let's put it this way, Missouri's RB Temple wouldn't now hold the Cotton Bowl record for rushing yards if Ellis Johnson had been our DC!

I'd say that would be correct!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

go hogues

Quote from: hogfansince79 on January 01, 2008, 04:32:18 pm
His stats at MSU didn't do a whole lot for me either, but check out paragraph 5 and 6 at this link...

http://www.mstateathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90894&SPID=10997&DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=931605&Q_SEASON=2007
14 stops in 32 years.  So we can expect him until about 2010.

secfan1

Oh im not gonna lie.  He wasnt the name I was expecting, but if Bobby wants him lets go.

go hogues

Quote from: secfan1 on January 01, 2008, 04:36:42 pm
Oh im not gonna lie.  He wasnt the name I was expecting, but if Bobby wants him lets go.
True enough. 

bobcat ball

Anything has to better then what I watched today Missery ran the same zone run play to right for 300+ yards and the temple kid had the best game of his life which seems to happen to Arkansas a lot since we play man and blitz every play and never adjust to anything that the other teams are doing it is so damn frustrating to watch the same thing week in and week out for years I am so glad the Nutt and Herring experiment are over lets move on and never speak of them again.  GO HAWGS AND BOBBY P LEAD US TO THE PROMISE LAND.  
WOO PIG

hogfansince79

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 01, 2008, 04:34:55 pm
If you can't see that the ONLY reason MSU got to and won a bowl game this year is because of their defense, then you just don't pay attention.   His defense is solid.   IMO he is an upgrade from Herring. 

I don't know if you're talking to me or not, but I agree with you.  All I'm saying is if you take a quick look at his MSU stats, they are nothing to write home to mamma about.

SpineHog

he's not a sexy big-name coordinator like english or charlie strong, but his resume's pretty solid.  his work at alabama is probably the most compelling, but many of my miss st friends attribute most of the team's success this year to johnson.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: go hogues on January 01, 2008, 04:36:33 pm

Most career assitants have very similar resumes in terms of number of jobs.  That's part of the business.  Also he spent the last 4 seasons in Starkville.  NWA is the Garden of Eden compared to Starkville.  If he gets the job done here, I'm sure he will be around for awhile.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

zorbacks06

I believe you'll find that the "bend until you break" defence that we've grown accustom to will be replaced with a shutdown, and lockdown philosophy focused on shutting down the run, and pressureing the QB.

Tusks

He has a NC ring and a couple of SECC rings.....he'll be fine....upgrade the whole way.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogfansince79

Quote from: zorbacks06 on January 01, 2008, 04:54:19 pm
I believe you'll find that the "bend until you break" defence that we've grown accustom to will be replaced with a shutdown, and lockdown philosophy focused on shutting down the run, and pressureing the QB.

its about time...  count me in!

Tomhog™

He may be a great hire.  He is probably connected to high school coaches in the south for recruiting edges.  We can't have an entire coaching staff with no south ties.  He may have some connections in Texas that will allow us a new pipeline.  I'm going to trust Petrino at this time and see what he puts on the field.

rogers-hog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 01, 2008, 04:34:55 pm
If you can't see that the ONLY reason MSU got to and won a bowl game this year is because of their defense, then you just don't pay attention.   His defense is solid.   IMO he is an upgrade from Herring. 
hell anyone would be an improvement on reggie, but i agree he is a good choice for DC

texas tush hog

I personally like him now but this time next year you naysayers will be hard for me to find
when our defense gives up about ten points a game, maybe 15, wait and see, and remember
I told you so, oh never mind you will have forgotten what you said by then and I will be
so happy at te Cap One bowl I won't care. Can't go to the BCS the first year ut would be uncivilized.

GixerTaz

Relax the Ellis hater didn't do his homework! If he would just read the bio and history he would be SCHOOLED.......... HINT---HINT look before MISS ST. good luck youngling

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: go hogues on January 01, 2008, 04:36:33 pm

It's a good sign when you lose your asst. coaches...they're succeeding!!  Unlike this current MSM family...nobody else will have them!

Frank Broyles--back in the day--always took pride in having to find new assistants...and he had some great ones!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

coolhog

Dont worry about our D-cord, we will out score everybody.

OKhogfan1959

Miss State's defense is the sole reason they won. They break on the ball and are nasty..

The single biggest hire other than Petrino is the new strength and conditioning coach..We are not a strong football team, not physically able to hold our ground on the interior..

I think Petrino did well with the hiring of Ellis Johnson..Very happy!!

razorbrass

All I know is Spurrier tried to hire the guy.  If Petrino and Spurrier want the guy that is all I need to know.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

antiono hogderas

I think we should give the guy a chance. I think after today's performance i'm ready for anyone else to come in and give them a shot.

Hogs12

Quote from: LawnHog48 on January 01, 2008, 05:18:15 pm
Miss State's defense is the sole reason they won. They break on the ball and are nasty..

The single biggest hire other than Petrino is the new strength and conditioning coach..We are not a strong football team, not physically able to hold our ground on the interior..

I am also very happy with the hiring of Ellis Johnson. I do not know if you this or not but Coach Petrino already hired a new Strength and Conditioning Coach. He is Jason Veltkamp. Former Louisville/ Utah Strength and Conditioning coach. I feel he is a pretty damn good one.

Beaverfever

I don't know who ya'll were expecting.  Over the last 4-5 years the only thing that has kept miss stake from being a complete joke is their solid defense.  Sounds like we did pretty good to nab a reputable sec coordinator.

PorkSoda

Quote from: LawnHog48 on January 01, 2008, 05:18:15 pm

I agree, I am happy with this hire.  This was an important hire, and BP needed to get the right man.  If Miss St had one thing going for them, it was Defense.  Now if we can just get a good Special teams coach, we should be looking good.  I am interested to see who he hires for the remaining spot.  He won't announce the rest of the staff until Jan 3.  I wonder if he is still waiting on a coach to finish thier bowl game?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

cnasty

Now if we can just get a good Special teams coach, we should be looking good.  I am interested to see who he hires for the remaining spot.  He won't announce the rest of the staff until Jan 3.  I wonder if he is still waiting on a coach to finish thier bowl game?
[/quote]

Maybe we keep Shebiest we can only hope

Blue35

A good hire. Petrino know what he is doing.

NC_Hog_Fan

It looks like a good hire but do remember that Reggie had the #1 Defense in the country at NC State the year before he was hired.

snoblind

Quote from: NC_Hog_Fan on January 01, 2008, 09:33:08 pm
It looks like a good hire but do remember that Reggie had the #1 Defense in the country at NC State the year before he was hired.

There were a couple of 1st round DL's on that defense, correct?

larpigfanc

From Google on Ellis Johnson current MSU DC, being offered up at BP's next hire here.
Notable
Head coach at The Citadel during the three seasons prior to coming to MSU ... On the Alabama staff that guided the Tide to the 1992 SEC and national titles ... Helped lead the UA defense to a No. 1 ranking in total defense that season ... Also assisted in guiding Alabama to the 1999 SEC crown ... Aided in mentoring Clemson's defense to a No. 10 ranking in 1995.

Always consult your Doctor B4 beginning any exercise/workout regime! Note: These workouts best used in conjuction with RAZORBACK Sports Coverage. Feel the BURN

secfan1

Petrino had to want him for a reason

Dr Swineglove

Ellis Johnson won big at Alabama, including a nat'l title - he's been an very big part of making MSU successful this season under Croom - MSU had a very solid defense this year, and got very little help from the O.  He's done a complete rebuild at MSU, with very good results, and he has HC experience.
Everything that I see points to him being just the guy to take full ownership of the Hog D and give us something to be proud of.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Pork Twain

Just curious where it came from that we had $400K to pay the new DC?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hog_fan

Spurrier wanted him as well.

Smithian

Quote from: snoblind on January 01, 2008, 09:37:43 pm
There were a couple of 1st round DL's on that defense, correct?
Tres. The two ends were beast and both are players in the NFL now. You may have heard of them; Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. They had a DT named McCargo or something that the Bills took in the first and is a contributor now.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: hog_fan on January 01, 2008, 10:40:21 pm
Spurrier wanted him as well.

That's a solid endorsement there.  Spurrier wouldn't be interested in anyone who couldn't coach D, and to coach it well.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

msudawgs64

it's a very good hire for Arkansas, not so good for us.  We should have said you had to take Woody McCorvey too, he did not have to coach, he could paint the white lines on the field, just get him the hell out of Starkville too..  ;D

Hopefully we can get a respectible DC, obviously we can't shell out the big bucks but we may be able to look at some that want to coach in the SEC, former DC's now at the lower levels, much like EJ was from Citadel. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

dmac4sainthood

I wouldn't overevaluate it by looking at stats.  Remember that MSU was in a rebuilding mode, and their D was the only thing tht kept them in a lot of games.  Sure stats are one of many things that should be looked at, but I wouldn't allow the stats to overshadow the fact that MSU has been largely rebuilt based off D.

keepitreal

I like the hire myself because he's from the SEC so he knows what to expect. He's familar with the territory of the SEC. MSU's deffense this year was the deciding factor in most if not all of their wins. Like it's been stated they've also been rebuilding, plus we will be better equipted talent wise than what they have been in recent year. Regardless of who it is though it's more than likely going to take a season or so for the new coaching staff to get their feet completly under them so I'm not going to begin to scruitinize until adequate time has been given for them to have success. I'm just pumped to see what all of the new hires bring to the table.
Peace & God Bless!! Go Razorbacks!!

saywhat?

Quote from: go hogues on January 01, 2008, 04:16:32 pm

Very, very solid hire is all you need to know.  He is much better than Herring.

3kgthog

Look at it this way: It can't get much worse. Look at the number of passing and rushing records that have been broken against Arkansas in the last 5-6 years. Many a QB and RB have set school marks against Razorback defenses.

yraciv

Does he recruit?  Even if he doesn't I feel he is an upgrade.  I'm sure Kevin Smith would have tore us up today, but MS State shut down UCF.

GOHOGS17

great info who posted this.  if he was part of that bama nat'l championship defense --I'm sold.  That defense ranked pretty good in defenses of all time.

VenturaHog

I think he is an upgrade from a coaching standpoint, I am interested in how he recruits though. Even if he is an average recruiter it is still a huge step up from Herring.