Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ellis Johnson New DC at Arkansas Per Sporting News and ESPN

Started by Van Boarisson, December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Boarisson

It appears we just hired Ellis Johnson from Miss. St.

No link- sporting news is reporting it.

GO HOGS GO

pigfeet

Big_Red_1

It started this morning at coffee shop.
I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!

VRaptor

hog_fan

Quote from: Van Boarisson on December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am
It appears we just hired Ellis Johnson from Miss. St.

No link- sporting news is reporting it.

GO HOGS GO

Isn't sporting news a website?

Lonnie Earl

I'd like to know which prospects he was responsible for recruiting this year... ;D

Van Boarisson

December 31, 2007, 10:36:04 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:38:11 am by Van Boarisson
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 31, 2007, 10:33:19 am
Here is his bio:

http://www.mstateathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90894&SPID=10997&DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=931605&Q_SEASON=2007

The first thing that jumps out at me with this guy is has frustrated our running game two years in a row. I can't think of another team that has done that.

I like the hire but i feel sorry for Reggie. He deserved to get through this bowl game.

razorback903

John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

El Supremo

hog_fan

Looks solid. i will wait until Bobby P confirms it. If he let it get out it is likely true.

Van Boarisson

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 10:35:08 am
Isn't sporting news a website?

Yeah, they are, I thought I had copied the link but it didn't work.

Sorry man- google it.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Van Boarisson on December 31, 2007, 10:36:04 am
The first thing that jumps out at me with this guy is he frustrated our running game two years in a row. I can't think of another team that has done that.

I like the hire but i feel sorry for Reggie. He deserved to get through this bowl game.

Yeah, I wish this wouldn't have come out right now.  But, maybe Herring has told Petrino that he's going to another school after the bowl game.  Who knows?  Seems like a decent hire.  How is he recruiting-wise?

hog_fan

Quote from: Van Boarisson on December 31, 2007, 10:36:04 am
The first thing that jumps out at me with this guy is he frustrated our running game two years in a row. I can't think of another team that has done that.

It's not offical.

dharris71

I agree with Van...couldn't it have waited another day or 2?  Not saying Reggie is my favorite although I like him...I just think it is bad timing! Not for Reggie but for the players...another distraction.

major_hog_fan

I guess that is it for Reggie Herring.

BigArkyintheRock

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

Hogginitall

December 31, 2007, 10:41:17 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:43:21 am by Hogginitall
Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on December 31, 2007, 10:40:16 am
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=354

That doesn't look too promising.  Of course, there are a lot of good DC's that don't get a lot of commitments.  Take this guy, for example:

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=258&Team=6&Sport=1&Year=2008

BigArkyintheRock

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

TMooney

Quote from: Lonnie Earl on December 31, 2007, 10:34:16 am
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=331489

I saw the game ;
This season, Mississippi State finished 8-5 and beat Central Florida 10-3 in the Liberty Bowl, the Bulldogs' first bowl victory since 2000. Johnson's defense held Central Florida star tailback Kevin Smith, a potential first-round NFL draft pick, to 3.4 yards per carry and 119 yards total, 69 yards shy of his season average.

I was thinking they had to have a good DC watching the game . Mebbe BP was thinking the same thing ?

hog_fan

Quote from: Hogginitall on December 31, 2007, 10:41:17 am
That doesn't look too promising.

Name another DC that shut down D-Mac not once but twice.  I'm guessing the DC is more of a closer for recruits and doesn't focus on  few players specfically.

Van Boarisson

Quote from: TMooney on December 31, 2007, 10:42:45 am
I saw the game ;
This season, Mississippi State finished 8-5 and beat Central Florida 10-3 in the Liberty Bowl, the Bulldogs' first bowl victory since 2000. Johnson's defense held Central Florida star tailback Kevin Smith, a potential first-round NFL draft pick, to 3.4 yards per carry and 119 yards total, 69 yards shy of his season average.

I was thinking they had to have a good DC watching the game . Mebbe BP was thinking the same thing ?

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hog_fan

How do we know it didn't get out early. i doubt BP would have leaked it early. Maybe some from MSU side leaked it.

BigArkyintheRock

Quote from: TMooney on December 31, 2007, 10:42:45 am
I saw the game ;

MSU held Matt Forte of Tulane to 47 yards (3.4 average) and Darren McFadden to 88 yards (3.1 average). Pretty good game plan to do that.

Beaverfever

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 10:43:01 am
Name another DC that shut down D-Mac not once but twice.  I'm guessing the DC is more of a closer for recruits and doesn't focus on  few players specfically.
Everyone has been saying M State shut down dmac?  He had like 185 rushing/receiving yards

razorback903

Quote from: Lonnie Earl on December 31, 2007, 10:34:16 am
Check out the screen name on one of the comments below the article.  Looks like Bacon is being called out.
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

hog_fan

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 31, 2007, 10:45:30 am
Everyone has been saying M State shut down dmac?  He had like 185 rushing/receiving yards

Forgot what he had this year, but I know he shut him down in 2006. Must have been held him to less the 100 yards rushing this year.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 31, 2007, 10:45:30 am

I agree.  This is one of the games that people in the national media were saying was a "down game" for McFadden in their attempt to discredit him for the Heisman.  He had 88 yards rushing, 50 yards receiving with a TD, and a 20-something yard TD pass.  But, he is DARREN MCFADDEN.

Big_Red_1

I missed being the first post here by just a few seconds.  The word was out in the coffee shop here in Tupelo earlier this morning.  I assume that the leak was from the MSU end of things.
I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!

Tommy2Hog

WilsonHog

December 31, 2007, 10:48:57 am #32 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:58:20 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 10:47:18 am
Forgot what he had this year, but I know he shut him down in 2006. Must have been held him to less the 100 yards rushing this year.

Here are DMac's numbers against Mississippi State:

2007: 28 carries for 88 yards rushing (3.1 YPC) and four receptions for 50 yards and a touchdown.

2006: 26 carries for 84 yards rushing (3.3 YPC) and no receptions.

2005: 21 carries for 165 yards rushing (7.9 YPC) and two touchdowns, and two receptions for 10 yards.

That's 337 yards on 75 carries (4.5 YPC) and two touchdowns in three years. Over the last two seasons McFadden gained 172 yards on 54 carries (3.2 YPC), which was 2.7 yards per carry under his career average.

I'd say that's sort of impressive.     

havok

Quote from: Hogginitall on December 31, 2007, 10:47:28 am
I agree.  This is one of the games that people in the national media were saying was a "down game" for McFadden in their attempt to discredit him for the Heisman.  He had 88 yards rushing, 50 yards receiving with a TD, and a 20-something yard TD pass.  But, he is DARREN MCFADDEN.

The season before, both McFadden and Jones were basically shut down by Miss State..  It took a Kickoff return and Interception return (both for TD's) to pull that game out.

hog_fan

Herring all but said on the news last night he was moving on. Said it is just something you have to deal with. I wouldn't expect an offical announcement until Jan 2nd.

JIHawg

Quote from: Tommy2Hog on December 31, 2007, 10:48:43 am
What about recruiting?

That's what we need to know-is he a good recruiter?  What's his territory?

Tommy2Hog

Wow! We swap a DC that has no recruits for the year for another that has 1.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Posted on a different board, but I'd like some valuable feedback from the great posters here as well.

Could you provide me some insight to what to look forward to?

Aggressive blitzer?
Passive read and react?
Man to man?
Zone?

Speed over size for LBs & safeties?
Size over speed for DEs & DTs?

Anything you know would be appreciated.

BTW,
WHY do you like this hire?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Lonnie Earl

December 31, 2007, 11:01:43 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:03:53 am by Lonnie Earl
Quote from: Big_Red_1 on December 31, 2007, 10:48:04 am
I missed being the first post here by just a few seconds.  The word was out in the coffee shop here in Tupelo earlier this morning.  I assume that the leak was from the MSU end of things.
Van posted it so fast... It just messed you up. ;D

irishman

Quote from: razorback903 on December 31, 2007, 10:46:01 am
Check out the screen name on one of the comments below the article.  Looks like Bacon is being called out.

LOL, good eyes. I didn't catch that

Hogs12

If this is true, I think it is a great hire. I believe Tenuta is going to LSU so he was out, Foster has been at Va Tech forever and has known Coach Beamer forever, Strong has it great at Florida. In that case, we were not getting the "major" DC's. When I looked at Rivals, Coach Johnson got several guys from Florida( Tally area). I do not know if he was responsible for any other areas but the Tally area is a great area to have ties to. I look forward in hearing the rest of the staff this week.

hog_fan

Quote from: Tommy2Hog on December 31, 2007, 10:59:44 am
Wow! We swap a DC that has no recruits for the year for another that has 1.

How do we know  he isn't a closer? Herring doesn't recruit period unless it is on campus.

mtnmusic

When the dust settles on Jan 3 we might find out that he's a position coach instead of DC.

bhuie

Looks like a great addition to the staff!

COACHING CAREER

- 1975: Defensive Ends Coach, The Citadel
- 1976-78: Gaffney [SC] HS
- 1979-81: Spartanburg [SC] HS
- 1982: Linebackers Coach, The Citadel
- 1983: Head Coach, Gardner Webb College
- 1984: Defensive Coordinator, Appalachian State University
- 1985-87: Outside Linebackers Coach/Rec. Coordinator, East Carolina University
- 1988-89: Defensive Coordinator, University of Southern Mississippi
- 1990-93: Outside Linebackers Coach, University of Alabama *
- 1994-96: Outside Linebackers Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Clemson University
- 1997-00: Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach, University of Alabama @
- 2001-03: Head Coach, The Citadel
- 2004-05: Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Coach, Mississippi State University
- 2006-07: Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach, Mississippi State University

* Alabama won the 1992 SEC and national titles & the Tide defense was ranked No. 1
@ Alabama won the 1999 SEC championship

Razorod

A DC does not have to be a great recruiter to be very effective in his job. What we need are great hires with the position coaches so they can do the leg work of recruiting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson at Whitt both work in the secondary since they would both have coordinating duties as well.

Johnson--Safeties, DC
Whitt, Jr.--Corners, RC
Allen--LB's, supposedly an effective recruiter
Wolthauzen(sp?)--DL

That seems like a pretty strong group of defensive coaches with possibly three of the four good to strong recruiters.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Porkatarian

IMO, this is a very good hire.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

hogfansince79

Why is this such a good hire?

Miss St.'s numbers before Johnson

yr    pts/g   yds/g
03    39.3   473.5

since Johnson (Reggie is on the right)...

yr    pts/g   yds/g
04    25.5   364.8
05    23.5   335.5      -       24.6   341.9
06    25.8   321.3      -       18.4   307.2
07    24.8   341.2      -       25.6   357.8

doesn't look like a whole lot of damn difference to me
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

hog_fan

Quote from: mtnmusic on December 31, 2007, 11:10:15 am
When the dust settles on Jan 3 we might find out that he's a position coach instead of DC.

Why would he take a step down. He has been DC for many years? No reason to go down to position coach..

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:12:32 am
Why is this such a good hire?

Miss St.'s numbers before Johnson

yr    pts/g   yds/g
03    39.3   473.5

since Johnson (Reggie is on the right)...

yr    pts/g   yds/g
04    25.5   364.8
05    23.5   335.5      -       24.6   341.9
06    25.8   321.3      -       18.4   307.2
07    24.8   341.2      -       25.6   357.8

doesn't look like a whole lot of damn difference to me

Look at where Johnson strted. Miss state was pathetic. he is slowly building them up

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:14:04 am
Look at where Johnson strted. Miss state was pathetic. he is slowly building them up

well...  if you think 25 pts a game and 320, 330, 340 yds a game is good in the SEC...  well... nevermind... I DON'T
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin