Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Little Unrest in "Rebel Land" concerning Recruiting

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, December 30, 2007, 02:02:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

December 30, 2007, 02:02:35 am Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:20:05 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Coach HDN seems so enamoured with current Arkansas verbals that the Ole Miss Class is slipping away - Click Me
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawgon

His sole purpose for going to Ole Miss instead of somewhere else was to try and show up Arkansas.  His recruiting over the next several years will consist of finding out who Arkansas is offering and then trying to get them to go to Ole Miss.  He will be a disaster down there and will be run off in disgrace.

The Boar War

That didn't take long.  Nutt already has his detractors and he hasn't even called a draw on 3rd and long.  I can't wait till they see his two minute offense.

HoginHouston

God that was fun to read. They are starting to figure things out, but it will take them a lot of time...
Go Hogs Go.

SPAL

VRaptor

Quote from: Hawgon on December 30, 2007, 02:11:07 am
His sole purpose for going to Ole Miss instead of somewhere else was to try and show up Arkansas.  His recruiting over the next several years will consist of finding out who Arkansas is offering and then trying to get them to go to Ole Miss.  He will be a disaster down there and will be run off in disgrace.

Nutt reminds me of Bill Clinton in that regard. No matter what he does,no matter what he says he always comes out smelling like a rose. :)

intoxhog

ROFLMAO

Does any of this sound sound like anything we have heard before?

Re: I am concerned about recruiting Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who Cares what THEY rank them. What matters is how the players perform. I have seen 5 star players get beat out by 2 star players. The damn rating system don't mean jack when it comes to what actually happens on the field.

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

hogs25

He should've gone to Baylor and not to another rival in the SEC.  I'll be very surprised if he's still there in two year's.  You can't sit there and tell me he's happy over there.  It's like going to Tunica for the weekend, you love going over there but you love crossing that bridge on the way back.

Torqued pork

We all know Nutt wasn't exactly a workaholic when it came to recruiting and he virtually ignored recruiting Mississippi while he was at Arkansas, so it's not surprising that he's counting on Arkansas kids to be loyal to him instead of the UofA.

clew

Don't those guys in Mississippi know that recruiting is overrated?
Pure as the dawn

Boarcephus

From WestcoastReb.....

"I think Nutt will do his best work in the next two years, and then we'll see Ole Miss struggle greatly because of the talent drop-off."

That has a certain deja vu ring to it, doesn't it?  I think one of the bigger problems he'll face is he won't have the kids of any real talent in sufficient enough numbers who wake up every morning and say "I can't wait to be a Rebel" like he did here.  If he thinks he can go toe to toe with Petrino over Arkansas kids and win he's a fool.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

RazorNick

He has to have time to build a fence. So many ground hogs in Mississippi make it hard to keep it closed.

Porquemada

I bet Nutt hasn't even taken the time to tell each and every one of the current players that they are "special". Perhaps he's exhausted from texting all of his "Holiday Greetings" to some local female news anchor in Memphis.

Porquemada

Sooper Reb is a sad case - he loves Nutt and Huckabee. That Dude would have been in a virtual paradise the last 10 years if he'd only moved across the river.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogs25 on December 30, 2007, 06:38:30 am
You can't sit there and tell me he's happy over there.  It's like going to Tunica for the weekend, you love going over there but you love crossing that bridge on the way back.

You could tell that in his PC.  I honestly believe him when he said Arkansas was his dream job and now he's screwed that one up.  Nothing against Ole Miss, but he can't have the same feelings of pride coaching there that he did here. 

It'd have to be about like marrying your childhood sweetheart and after 10 years you're still in love with her but she dumps you and you jump into a rebound marriage with an old ugly women with 6 screaming kids.  Be hard to face life with a great deal of enthusiasm.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

natehog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2007, 07:58:05 am
You could tell that in his PC.  I honestly believe him when he said Arkansas was his dream job and now he's screwed that one up.  Nothing against Ole Miss, but he can't have the same feelings of pride coaching there that he did here. 

It'd have to be about like marrying your childhood sweetheart and after 10 years you're still in love with her but she dumps you and you jump into a rebound marriage with an old ugly women with 6 screaming kids.  Be hard to face life with a great deal of enthusiasm.

Yeah, but you forgot he works from "daylight to exhaustion".  I hate to admit that I fell for that crap.  Gawd, I am glad he is gone from Arkansas!

Buck Ocean

In that book "Meat Market" it basically says that Ole Miss hadnt had talent since the 60s and Orgeron came in and put their name back on the map.  Maybe he couldnt win with them, but his recruiting philosophy and practice are relentless.  He has a will and drive to follow a kid all the way to signing period.  The text messaging was phenomenal at Ole Miss, in regards to recruits.  Even during 'dead periods' text messaging was allowed.  Ole Miss coaches would text recruits with instructions: CALL ME NOW!  During dead periods, you cant call a recruit, but a recruit can call you.  It was a window, and Orgeron found it.  In the meantime, HDNs got his thumb in a butterdish.  I dont see him changing, I really dont.  I think recruiting goes against his ego, which is "nobody is gonna be bigger than me."  Laying out the red carpet for a kid with a possibility that they might not come is just not right, I'm sure he thought.  Good ridence.
Think like a Jedi

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Boarcephus

Quote from: natehog on December 30, 2007, 08:28:48 am
Yeah, but you forgot he works from "daylight to exhaustion".  I hate to admit that I fell for that crap.  Gawd, I am glad he is gone from Arkansas!

Ditto.  Regardless of how hard he worked at it here, he can't possibly recruit for Ole Miss with the same fervor he did here and sustain it.  He is just not happy over there and it shows.

SigHog87

That board makes me happy... They will realize how bad he sucks in a few months when they have 10 extra scholarships to give away.

jim hog

Seconds

If he's so happy to be a Rebel, why is he spending so much time in Fayetteville?
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: hSv on December 30, 2007, 08:39:26 am
Once a loser always a loser

Beat me to it...............What made Old Piss think that HDN could get it done there and not Arkansas
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

tophawg19

actually he probably is happy . who the hell else would pay him that kind of money. i am now on the nutt band wagon and hope he wins 6/7 games a year .  then they will keep him and we can count on a win every year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 30, 2007, 02:02:35 am
Coach HDN seems so enamoured with current Arkansas verbals that the Ole Miss Class is slipping away - Click Me

I find this hilarious. Recently, I posted a couple of threads on recruiting, one the Mods sent to the Recruiting forum and the other still on MMQ, that addressed recruiting, top players and their geographic location. I was amazed when doing the research to find out just exactly how many high quality(Four and Five Star) players surrounded Arkansas in bordering states. Players we never went after. I can only imagine that had I looked at the rest of the Nutt years, I would have found the same thing.

They are going to find out in due time that HDN is a "lazy" recruiter at best.
Go Hogs Go!

Dugann

I think that has some merit.  I do think that he will be like the jaded ex wife, and yes it will be his down fall.  He should have went like Big East, ACC, even Big 12 and he been great at the right program.   By great I mean 6-9 wins a year and if he was in the ACC maybe even better.  Wait the National Media thinks the ACC is a power house.... nevermind.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

havok

IMO nutt is on a 2 year plan.  Beyond that he doesn't care.  He went to Ole Piss, Mostly becasue they were stupid enough to hire him, but he saw that Orgeron had really put together some decent players the last 3/4 years.

he is going to use that talent already there..(Sounds familiar to his arrival here) and use it to try and get a bigger job.   IMO he falls flat on his face... he didn't have the gigantor big-head ego the first year here...he will no doubtably put his foot in his mouth and act like a 14 year old soon and turn off their fans.

cessna8667

Ole Miss, you've been NuttJobbed...  Get used to it, it sucks.

cessna8667

And I forgot to add, welcome to the divided fanbase.  Your fans will now miraculously begin to bicker with each other.  One side about how good a Christian man he is and how hard working and how he loves that helmet.  The other side will dispute all of those things PLUS hate him for how bad he sucks at certain aspects of coaching...

Have fun!!

Seebs

Quote from: natehog on December 30, 2007, 08:28:48 am

Problem was,  he got exhausted from all that texting by 9 AM. He didn't lie, just didn't take his B12
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The real Hogules

Next term you'll hear Ole Miss fans learning where Nutt is concerned is used car salesman.

Not to mention that HDN only wants players who want to be Ole Miss Rebels............
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: HogHillbilly on December 30, 2007, 09:19:28 am

Beat me to it...............What made Old Piss think that HDN could get it done there and not Arkansas
I think that in a sense he can get it done there. Think about this, he wins the four rent-a-wins, he wins against Vandy, and beats MSU and in some years KY. That is 7 wins, they would kill for seven wins. To them that is the definition of gettting it done(as it was to some here). Still I doubt he realizes how good he has it. As someone stated he will stay a couple of years and try to get another school above his level of competence. He can't get out of his own way.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Brand X Hog Fan

The posters on that board sound a lot like I did 10 years ago. They'll learn.

I agree with the previous poster, Nutt should have gone far away from the SEC. Of course his judgment never has been very sound. I give him 3 years tops.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

31to6

So when Nutt is an unmitigated failure at Ole Miss will we finally be able to hear the last of "he's a very good coach" or will his fluffers spin one 7-win season out of the next three (with Orgeron's recruits) into some sort of great revival?

Mr. Hog

Nutt is a loser !
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: PorcineSublime on December 30, 2007, 10:28:27 am
I think that in a sense he can get it done there. Think about this, he wins the four rent-a-wins, he wins against Vandy, and beats MSU and in some years KY. That is 7 wins, they would kill for seven wins. To them that is the definition of gettting it done(as it was to some here). Still I doubt he realizes how good he has it. As someone stated he will stay a couple of years and try to get another school above his level of competence. He can't get out of his own way.

He just wants players that want to be Rebels.  This is a great point.  Nutt does not care about winning conference or national championships.  That requires a tremendous amount of work.  His plan is to do just enough to get by with 7 or 8 wins a year like he did for a decade at Arkansas.

Dr Swineglove

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on December 30, 2007, 10:53:31 am
His plan is to do just enough to get by with 7 or 8 wins a year like he did for a decade at Arkansas.

Averaging those 7-8 wins at Ole Miss is a challenge.

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 30, 2007, 09:32:22 am
I find this hilarious. Recently, I posted a couple of threads on recruiting, one the Mods sent to the Recruiting forum and the other still on MMQ, that addressed recruiting, top players and their geographic location. I was amazed when doing the research to find out just exactly how many high quality(Four and Five Star) players surrounded Arkansas in bordering states. Players we never went after. I can only imagine that had I looked at the rest of the Nutt years, I would have found the same thing.

The "lazy" recruiter part of your post hits the nail on the head. 

Compare HDN's hiring at Ole Miss to BP here at Arkansas.  Nutt immediately tried to get 5 assistant coaches to come down there for a full week to "help" him with recruiting.  When BP was hired he was out the next day canvassing the state to personnally speak to each of our top recruits.  He did this with one other coach (Horton) until brother Paul joined the staff right before the quiet period.

Nutt wanted our assistants (at least until the bowl game) down there to do his work.  Nevermind that it created a huge conflict of interest.  All that matters to Nutt is what is best for Nutt.  Thank goodness Long and the Ole Miss chancellor stepped in and nipped that problem in the bud.

I thought when HDN left and we got a great coach that I wouldn't care about him or what happened to him.  Wrong.  I think I despise him more.  I want to beat Ole Miss every year.  I want their recruits and ours.  I want him walked out of there in shame like he should have been here.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2007, 11:32:36 am
Averaging those 7-8 wins at Ole Miss is a challenge.

Not once Nutt gets his "usual" OOC games added to the Ole Miss schedule.

Hold it, this is Ole Miss we are talking about here, the winner of exactly zero conference games this past season and owner of a 3-8 record, so it would seem that the Rebels already have the weak OOC thing covered.

HDN and staff are screwed if they don't get up off their butt's and hit recruiting much harder than they ever did while employed at the UofA!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 30, 2007, 09:32:22 am

In addition to being lazy, Nutt's ego is so huge and fragile that he cannot take a "no" answer from a recruit.  If he gets a hint that he cannot sign them, he stops recruiting them.  That's why his recruiting has suffered in-state the last few years and has always been so, out of state. 

Fact is, I can't remember but one or two recruits above a 3* level that he ever signed from out of state. 

Nutt going to Mississippi was more about the style of living he and Ms Diane are accustomed too and padding the retirement account, than about building a football team.

Nutt is a loser as a recruiter first and foremost, and a loser as a coach.  No debate.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Bob from Dumas on December 30, 2007, 11:40:29 am

I thought when HDN left and we got a great coach that I wouldn't care about him or what happened to him.  Wrong.  I think I despise him more.  I want to beat Ole Miss every year.  I want their recruits and ours.  I want him walked out of there in shame like he should have been here.

I don't know exactly when, (probably between year two and year five) but I will guarantee than within his initial five year contract than HDN will be run out of Mississippi on a rail.  There will not be a suck-up buyout either.  I hope I live to see it.

El Puerco Grande

I just got a little giddy reading these posts and remembering that Nutt's somebody elses headache.
How 'bout them hogs?

HoginHouston

Quote from: PhotHOGrapher on December 30, 2007, 07:30:09 am
Don't those guys in Mississippi know that recruiting is overrated?

They are learning, and soon they will learn that "Playcalling is overrated" and that "SEC wins are so precious." Oh, I can't wait for him to whip out those. It just messes you up!
Go Hogs Go.

jmark

Maybe Frank can help him recruit.  He approved the extra recriting help.  And Dick Shaffer thinks all is fair in love and war. 

Frank feels so bad for Hooten, he may not attend the UA/Ol'e Piss game, ...even though he's still on the UA payroll.

Ol'e Miss, you asked for it, you paid for it, ...you got it.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

longtimeHogfan

I just hope I live the three years it will take to see this to come to pass. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: HoginHouston on December 30, 2007, 12:04:30 pm
They are learning, and soon they will learn that "Playcalling is overrated" and that "SEC wins are so precious." Oh, I can't wait for him to whip out those. It just messes you up!

Will Hooten have a Sunday 'coach's show'? I stopped watching the one he had here 3 years ago, but I may start now if I can get it locally.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

ComeonHogs!!!

I had to make sure i was on the old miss forums. Those supporters of nutts recruiting sounded so familer. I guess he did take the man women with him.
State Pride!!!

SteveInArk

One thing for sure...  a few of those "we were so close, Chuck" losses, followed by that totally embarrassing BS he will spew on the Ole Miss version of the HN Show -- and quality recruits will slip away quietly...  they might even call him a dork.   ;)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Bob from Dumas

Quote from: HoginHouston on December 30, 2007, 12:04:30 pm

They will also learn:

If you have more than two receivers on any passing play it is a waste of blockers.

In a close game when you need them to stop the clock, time outs are best used on meaningless two point conversions or even when you just can't make up your mind whether to run it off tackle or really mix them up with a draw play on 3rd and 8.

Why run 40 seconds off the clock when you can run a 5 yard out (for an incompletion) on 3rd and 12?

There are many many ways to lose a game and destroy a good season with poor special teams play.

That's right Ole Miss, you just paid 1.8 million for these little lessons plus many more!!  Best of luck!!