Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corliss Williamson honored in nice article

Started by jdhogster, December 27, 2007, 08:24:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhogster

On Page 2 of ESPN.com (yes, that network), they were remembering and honoring several people in the sports world who called it quits this year from storied careers in their respected sports or professions.

And suprisingly enough, towards the bottom, there was Corliss Williamson.  Most people probably didn't know he had retired this year, but this is a great piece.  I am including the blurb about him and also listing the link in case someone wants to go and read all of the other information.

Oh yeah, JFB is listed towards the top of the article.  But I posted this mostly for Corliss.  Wow, what most of us would do to go back and relive that National Championship.  Where we were when we watched it, who we hugged when it was over, what you were doing when Scotty hit that shot....what it felt like to have slayed the giant "Duke".

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=retired/071227&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1

The following was written by Eric Neel:

Corliss Williamson

You don't see it in his career NBA line (11.1 points per game, 3.9 rebounds). And you didn't see it on the NBA floor, where his 6-foot-7 frame looked slight. In the pros he was just a guy who found a niche and mined it; played smart, played hard, but never really commanded your attention.

But let's not forget that Williamson was once a beast, a mythic figure opponents dreamt terrible dreams of in the night. As the leader of a very good Arkansas team that won one NCAA title and played for a second, Williamson owned the blocks, and crushed the spirit of the poor mugs who suited up against him. There was nothing pretty about it. He didn't have much of a shot, or any kind of handle. There were no signature moves to speak of. All he had were sledgehammer shoulders, an anvil for a backside, and a no-quarter nasty streak a mile long.

We measure everything by how a guy does at the pro level. We measure everything by the last best effort. But if Williamson looks average by those measures, that shouldn't obscure his supernatural past.
-- Eric Neel

PeytonManningSUCKS