Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MArcus Britt needs to start at the point (along with the rest of the new lineup)

Started by batmanfan, December 27, 2007, 01:19:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

PG: Marcus Britt-  This guy isn't a shooter (yet), but he is a monster on the defensive side and can control the ball better thn anyone on the team.  He also has a higher b-ball IQ than the other canidates for the position.  Has the making of a true leader as well.

SG-Stefon Welsh-  This guy is being forced to play an off position and would do a great guard at his best position, the SG.  I'm starting to see alot of Eric Ferguson in Welsh, except with a higher basketball IQ and the fact that he is a better shooter.  He mainly played SG when he had the big games for us last year.

G-Patrick Beverley.  Going with the three guard lineup.  Pat is the best player we got and will get it going soon enough.

F/C-Darian Townes-  This is for that extra offensive burst to start the game.  Darian has really improved this year and has shown he should be starting.

F/C-Mike Washington- As Townes has showed he gives us an offensive burst, Washington gives us one of the defensive end.  Maybe the most talented player on the team.

The rest of the seniors need to start out on the bench.  Frick them.  They have had their chance.  HOWEVER I think Charles Thmas could be SEC 6th man of the year, he reminds me alot of Chris Richard out of Florida last year, who gave the Gators a boost off the bench for their title teams.

BAT

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Breems

If any teams have a guy that can drop-step and lay-in (app. state), then that line-up is in trouble.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

TRUHOG718

I agree. But I would not pull Weems at SF. You saw what happened when PB picked up those two quick fouls last game. Our offense gets stagnant.

Britt
Bev
weems
Wash
Townes
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: batmanfan on December 27, 2007, 01:19:56 am
PG: Marcus Britt-  This guy isn't a shooter (yet), but he is a monster on the defensive side and can control the ball better thn anyone on the team.  He also has a higher b-ball IQ than the other canidates for the position.  Has the making of a true leader as well.

SG-Stefon Welsh-  This guy is being forced to play an off position and would do a great guard at his best position, the SG.  I'm starting to see alot of Eric Ferguson in Welsh, except with a higher basketball IQ and the fact that he is a better shooter.  He mainly played SG when he had the big games for us last year.

G-Patrick Beverley.  Going with the three guard lineup.  Pat is the best player we got and will get it going soon enough.

F/C-Darian Townes-  This is for that extra offensive burst to start the game.  Darian has really improved this year and has shown he should be starting.

F/C-Mike Washington- As Townes has showed he gives us an offensive burst, Washington gives us one of the defensive end.  Maybe the most talented player on the team.

The rest of the seniors need to start out on the bench.  Frick them.  They have had their chance.  HOWEVER I think Charles Thmas could be SEC 6th man of the year, he reminds me alot of Chris Richard out of Florida last year, who gave the Gators a boost off the bench for their title teams.

BAT

BAT

Starting Britt would be silly. He plays balls to the wall defense because he's only playing limited minutes per game. If he was forced to play 25-30 minutes every night, you wouldn't see as much energy.

Starting three guards isn't wise since we have limited depth there as it is.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jgphillips3

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 27, 2007, 10:11:30 am
Starting Britt would be silly. He plays balls to the wall defense because he's only playing limited minutes per game. If he was forced to play 25-30 minutes every night, you wouldn't see as much energy.

Starting three guards isn't wise since we have limited depth there as it is.

I agree with you about the three guards could deplete us at a thin spot on the roster.  However, I don't think starting Britt would be "silly".  It might be nice to get him going early and play some hard defense in the opening minutes.  Starting Britt is no sillier than starting the human turnover machine or Welsh.  Now, if we had a REAL PG, then it would be silly.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 27, 2007, 10:59:25 am
I agree with you about the three guards could deplete us at a thin spot on the roster.  However, I don't think starting Britt would be "silly".  It might be nice to get him going early and play some hard defense in the opening minutes.  Starting Britt is no sillier than starting the human turnover machine or Welsh.  Now, if we had a REAL PG, then it would be silly.

Look at Ervin's numbers this season before you deem him the human turnover machine. He leads the team in assists, but has four other players ahead of him in TOs, while still averaging the 3rd most minutes/game. Plus, he's shooting 48% from the floor, which is very good for a guard.

He's only commited 14 fouls as well, which shows how well he's been playing defense. Darian Townes' 21 fouls is the next closest for anyone playing more than 20 minutes/game.

Like it or not, Ervin has been our best guard this season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 27, 2007, 11:10:50 am
Look at Ervin's numbers this season before you deem him the human turnover machine. He leads the team in assists, but has four other players ahead of him in TOs, while still averaging the 3rd most minutes/game. Plus, he's shooting 48% from the floor, which is very good for a guard.

He's only commited 14 fouls as well, which shows how well he's been playing defense. Darian Townes' 21 fouls is the next closest for anyone playing more than 20 minutes/game.

ervin?
best guard on the team?

boy we are in trouble

jgphillips3

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 27, 2007, 11:10:50 am

As you know, stats don't always tell the story.  When he has turned the ball over, it has usually been at the worst possible time.  He is the human turnover machine in my opinion (and many others).  However, I didn't say he was the worst player on the team and I honestly don't think he is, but he has never been a consistently competent point guard and turns it over way too much for a point guard.  He has gotten some nice rebounds and makes some nice passes from time to time, but he isn't dazzling enough in any other area to make up for his deficiencies and it is an injustice to the play of the other guards to say he has been the best guard all season.  He has had his moments, but so have the rest of them.  Anyway, not looking to argue, but my original point was that I don't think Britt is bad and he could be a change of pace.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 27, 2007, 11:27:50 am
As you know, stats don't always tell the story.  When he has turned the ball over, it has usually been at the worst possible time.  He is the human turnover machine in my opinion (and many others).  However, I didn't say he was the worst player on the team and I honestly don't think he is, but he has never been a consistently competent point guard and turns it over way too much for a point guard.  He has gotten some nice rebounds and makes some nice passes from time to time, but he isn't dazzling enough in any other area to make up for his deficiencies and it is an injustice to the play of the other guards to say he has been the best guard all season.  He has had his moments, but so have the rest of them.  Anyway, not looking to argue, but my original point was that I don't think Britt is bad and he could be a change of pace.

There is never a good time for a turnover.

heathtits

No way. Townes and Washington starting on defense would be a NIGHTMARE. Washington still does not know how to defend a simple back door pick and roll.

And you have to start Sonny Weems. Regardless of his TO's, he plays hard D and always is a possibility for an offensive explosion.

spudhog

i like britt off the bench. if he comes off the bench, then hill can't. cause then you would have 2 guys on the court who are not going to be consistent on offense. i like the rotation's we have going with maybe a tweak here or there. i don't think we need overhaul with the lineup's but simply a small shot to have each player complimenting the other.

condohog

What is the worst that could happen from starting a new line up? We have started almost every game this year slow. Putting some points on the board would be a novel idea.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: condohog on December 28, 2007, 12:18:32 pm
What is the worst that could happen from starting a new line up? We have started almost every game this year slow. Putting some points on the board would be a novel idea.

Putting points on the board....by starting our lesser offensive options like Britt? If anything, we should probably look to play Ervin more if we're going by the numbers.

I will say I'd like to see Washington start alongide Hill, just because Hill can't rebound or score, but he'd make up for Washington's lack of defensive control.

Beaverfever

Quote from: heathtits on December 27, 2007, 03:43:59 pm
No way. Townes and Washington starting on defense would be a NIGHTMARE. Washington still does not know how to defend a simple back door pick and roll.

And you have to start Sonny Weems. Regardless of his TO's, he plays hard D and always is a possibility for an offensive explosion.
Yeah because Hill really shut down app st. post players.

BigHog396

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 28, 2007, 01:08:36 pm
Yeah because Hill really shut down app st. post players.
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he only scored twice on Hill.  Nearly all his points came on Townes.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: BigHog396 on December 28, 2007, 10:32:40 pm
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he only scored twice on Hill.  Nearly all his points came on Townes.

I don't think you're wrong.  When Townes or Washington were guarding that big fellow, it was pretty much an automatic basket or foul.  Neither of them were strong enough to keep him from back them down into the paint -- particularly if the refs aren't going to call the charge.

chiefsfan

QuoteErvin has been our best guard this season.

Its at this point that I would advise you to quit drinking
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.