Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My observations

Started by jlmnjem, December 23, 2007, 01:48:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jlmnjem

First, let me preface my comments by saying I like John Pelphrey. A lot. I think he is the up-and-comer that we thought Stan Heath was. However, I think he is forcing a square peg into a round hole. He will eventually have the players he needs to run his system, but I think it would make sense for him to make some adjustments based on the personnel he has now.

His emphasis on conditioning is right on target, and even with the players we have this year, I like the fact that we run some kind of press on nearly every possession. His system, though, has changed the role of several players, I think to the detriment of their potential success.

I don't like the amount of ball handling Patrick Beverly is being asked to do. It seems to me that he is now expected to manage the offense from the point, and it appears to be at the expense of his offensive production. I would much rather see him at the 2, where he can shoot or drive off of the pass.

Gary Ervin seems to have been given Patrick's role from last year, and he simply is not a good 2. In my opinion, Ervin is a point guard, and I think a strong argument could be made that he should be the backup behind both Welsh (although I have some concern with our point guard shooting barely above 50% from the FT line).

I would like to see us go big some. Our strength is our front line, and in an effort to be more of a running team, we limit the number of big men we have on the floor at any given time. Weems has the ability to handle the ball in a big lineup, and I think doing so would get him more involved in the offense. He is currently content to hover around the 3-point line. At 17%, he needs to shoot the long ball less and drive to the basket more.

Steven Hill was among the nation's leaders in blocked shots last year. This year, he only recently surpassed Townes to lead the team and is not even in the NCAA top 50. Sure, he is anything but offensive-minded, but that doesn't have to be a liability if we played around his strengths, rather than not play him because of his weakness.

I like that Townes is our leading scorer. That belies the fact that we are horrible at getting the ball into the post. Of course, our lack of perimeter shooting makes this more difficult, but our front line scores despite our backcourt. I think I read that Pelphrey has yet to play Townes and Hill at the same time. I say, "Why not play your best offensive center and best defensive center at the same time?"

Anyway, just my observations...

gates4president

Quote from: jlmnjem on December 23, 2007, 01:48:45 pm
First, let me preface my comments by saying I like John Pelphrey. A lot. I think he is the up-and-comer that we thought Stan Heath was. However, I think he is forcing a square peg into a round hole. He will eventually have the players he needs to run his system, but I think it would make sense for him to make some adjustments based on the personnel he has now.

YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!  HE NEEDS TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS BASED ON THE PERSONNEL HE HAS NOW!!  Great coaches make adjustments!!

kcstar

My observation is that this team has no complete players.  Some are adequate to good offensively, but can guard anyone or can't handle the ball or hold on to it when it hits them in the hands.  Some are adequate to good defensively but can't score much on very many teams.

Coach Pel has a major task of making this team with major weaknesses (ball handling, passing, outside shooting, poor hands) into even a good basketball team. 

That said, the Hogs have given very good effort in every game I have seen them play and have not quit which is something they did often in the past.

chiefsfan

QuoteIn my opinion, Ervin is a point guard

Blasphemy!!!!
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

blacksuit

Quote from: kcstar on December 23, 2007, 08:47:50 pm
My observation is that this team has no complete players. 

The amount of subbing that Pel was doing confirms this. Weems on offense, Brit on defense. Townes on O, Hill on D, and so on.

Fatman

what we don't have is that one guy we can give the ball to every time and they can score. Like a Joe Johnson or a Corliss. That would be a plus for this team

Porkem

Quote from: gates4president on December 23, 2007, 01:51:50 pm
YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!  HE NEEDS TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS BASED ON THE PERSONNEL HE HAS NOW!!  Great coaches make adjustments!!

Agreed.  He will definitely have to make some adjustments come conference time.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Beaverfever

The press is just killing us.  We are probably the only team in the country that presses fourty minutes and has more turnovers than its opponent.  That is just ridiculous.  Am I the only one who has noticed how much worse our press is than Mizzou's.

Bama Hog™

The problem is the personnel. Have you forgotten last season? I would rather have my liver removed with a staple puller than to go back to the playing style of last year.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

heathtits

What games have you been watching? Ervin brings the ball up the court every time he has been in when they are going against a half courst offense. He attempts to run the offense but is miserable at best.

The only reason Beverley's production is down is because he is missing shots. The shots are there every time for him, he just needs to start making them.

I do agree that Townes and Hill should play at the same time but a key hole right now is Washington's low post D. He is a huge defensive liability considering his offense is so effective.

kcstar

I'll add an additional 2 cents worth.  Beverly is still the team's best shooter.  I expect that he will turn the corner.  He was somewhat clutch last year and I see no reason he cannot be better than last year.

A friend of mine and I were watching the App State game and down the stretch we stated at the same time that this team has no player that you want with the ball in the crunch. 

I think Beverly can be that player but he has to step up and do it.

jkstock04

Quality breakdown jlmnjem, you obviously know a thing or two about the game of basketball...
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jlmnjem

I think Beverly is the "go to" guy, but not if he has to handle the ball from the point. His shooting woes are a result of when, where, and how he is getting his shots. He is not going to beat his man off the dribble on a regular basis, but he is tireless so he needs to be able to move without the ball, run through a few screens, and catch the ball with his man having to adjust to him. That's where Beverly excels, when his man is a bit off balance. That's why he drew so many fouls last year by pump faking his man and initiating contact when he left his feet. I can't recall seeing him do that once this year.

dotnet

Ervin brings the ball up most of the time when he is in the game.  You don't want PB to have as much responsibility running the offense, but him running the offense is a lot better than 35 turnovers a game.  He has to have some hand in the ball handling or we're screwed.  I would prefer for him not to primarily handle the ball either, but who should do it then?

Pelphrey has already commented on why he hasn't played them both at the same time.  He has thought about it, but since the 4 helps bring the ball up quite a bit, he doesn't want either of those two bringing the ball up.  Neither of them are good with the ball most than a few feet away from the basket.  Neither of them could guard someone more than a few feet away from the basket. 

You said Ervin should be the backup.  Well, unless something has changed, Ervin is the backup. 

Just because PB handles the ball more, it doesn't mean he can't score at a high rate.  Deron Williams, Magic Johnson, Joe Johnson, Kobe, etc.  A lot of people handle the ball a whole lot and are also prolific scorers.  I don't think that handling the ball is the problem. 

Prosciutto

It aggravated me when I heard a commentator say we had a lot of athletes, but no basketball players. But I guess he may have been right on.

jlmnjem

Quote from: dotnet on December 25, 2007, 07:10:26 pm
I would prefer for him not to primarily handle the ball either, but who should do it then?

I would have Welsh bringing the ball up.

Quote from: dotnet on December 25, 2007, 07:10:26 pm
Just because PB handles the ball more, it doesn't mean he can't score at a high rate.  Deron Williams, Magic Johnson, Joe Johnson, Kobe, etc.  A lot of people handle the ball a whole lot and are also prolific scorers.  I don't think that handling the ball is the problem. 

There are lots of ball handlers that can score but that is not Beverly's strength. He is definitely more effective when he is working off the ball.

dotnet

Quote from: jlmnjem on December 25, 2007, 11:14:05 pm
I would have Welsh bringing the ball up.

Right, but Welsh isn't a point guard either, and needs help just like PB and Ervin.  None of them are good enough to be able to do it all on their own, except for PB, which is what no one wants.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I posted something similar before and couldn't agree more.  He needs to make some adjustments to win with what he has now.  The team he has out there was built to function like an IZZO team.  Either style will work, but only with the right players.  Save that pressing stuff for when we have a few more long armed fast 6-7 6-8 guys out there.  Trying any kind of pressure d the length of the court with townes, hill, thomas, etc on the court is futile.   

Not to mention it revs Gary Ervin up and that is the last thing he needs.
Let's make some waves.