Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Pehph needs his own players. These guys are just not very good and

Started by thewholehog, December 22, 2007, 06:07:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thewholehog

have not improved since they got here. Stan left him with ZERO shooters and I mean none.

When he gets his own type players in here we'll be fine. He has a great class coming in.....

My prediction, they practice tonight when they get home.

elksnort

If you can't shoot real well, what is practice going to do for you?

thewholehog

Won't, but it'll be punishment for just overall sucking. Probably be shooting freethrows in their sleep.

pigface

I hate to have to ask ,  but do we win that game with Stan Heath?

Just trying to make sure we hired a better coach.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: thewholehog on December 22, 2007, 06:20:05 pm
Won't, but it'll be punishment for just overall sucking. Probably be shooting freethrows in their sleep.

Looked they were asleep when they were shooting them today, or at least had their eyes closed.

hogsam

Could be worse we could have a high price coach and be 5-5 like Kentucky

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: pigface on December 22, 2007, 06:21:39 pm
I hate to have to ask ,  but do we win that game with Stan Heath?

Just trying to make sure we hired a better coach.

No, we don't win that game with Stan, and yes we hired a better coach.  Problem is Stan's players are still with us.

havok

IMO..these players, after 4 years under Heath have become "Comfortable" with losing. 

The real Hogules

Quote from: elksnort on December 22, 2007, 06:10:18 pm
If you can't shoot real well, what is practice going to do for you?

Practice can get you out of your slump, because several of these players while I wouldn't exactly describe them as "pure shooters", can stroke it from the outside.

Coach Pelphrey has already got one helluva class coming in for next season (his type recruits) and if this years team really wants to make the NCAAT in March they had better step it up, starting now!

I saw plenty of lazy basketball and half-@$$ defense played by our entire team, but nowhere worse than on our interior post defense. We made ASU's low post player look like a sure fire lottery pick in the next NBA Draft, when in actuality the guy isn't good enough to play in the CBA.

Oh, we played well in spurts in the second half, but without being able to keep the pressure on the opponent non stop, it gives the opponent time to regroup and costs you some games you should otherwise win easily.

I believe in coach Pelphry and I follow no one blindly.
He will get the problems corrected!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

moses_007

The biggest dissappointment is Steven Hill.  No scoring and very few blocked shots this year.

The NewEra

A lot of athletes, no basketball stars and no outside shooting threat.  Other than Beverly none of them really have a good basketball mind.  After seeing that performance today, I think Pelphrey is two years away from having a good team.  I do believe in him though.

bassman1994

HawgG

solitons

Quote from: thewholehog on December 22, 2007, 06:07:51 pm
have not improved since they got here. Stan left him with ZERO shooters and I mean none.

When he gets his own type players in here we'll be fine. He has a great class coming in.....

Those players are talented, PB was proven in the USA under 18 team in the past summer.
The truth is so panic that JP is not that good. if SH stays, we already won 12 games.

Calling All Hogs

Pel needs to show the players the 94 NC game. I watched the last two minutes recently and it brought back memories
of players with winning spirit, heart and determination. We haven't had that for a long time around here. By the way, Heath
got a long pass his first few years. I dont mind giving Pel some time as well. But this team's general attitude sucks.

rabrya

The guys just were not ready to play today. You could tell that by their lackluster shooting and terrible defense through most of the game. They gave conciderable effort in the end but couldn't break the funk they were in to start the game.

jst01

Quote from: bassman1994 on December 22, 2007, 06:54:33 pm
He should be able to coach them, regardless.

You cant fix stupid, and this team is "basketball stupid". 

MCPeePants

Quote from: moses_007 on December 22, 2007, 06:37:07 pm
The biggest dissappointment is Steven Hill.  No scoring and very few blocked shots this year.

I haven't checked the stats from last year but I'd guess he's probably averaging 6 or 7 fewer minutes per game this year. That's a big reason for his blocked shots being down.

I think he'll still be a useful player in the SEC but he obviously doesn't fit the style Pelphrey wants to play and I certainly don't see him winning Defensive player of the year again.

Tylerhog

Right on brotha! Not a shooter in the house, I would venture to say that there are better Hooters, I mean Shooters, walking around on the UA Campus than what's on the team. Been that way for a while, it's not Pel's fault, it's his inheritance!

TheOtherWhiteMeat!

So, a bad/mediocre player can win an SEC Player of the Year Award? Pardon me while I don't go for THAT idea at all!!! EVERYONE (save maybe Townes) is DOWN this year compared to last. PB looks lost over half the time - maybe he shouldn't have played this summer OR is plagued by the lawsuit OR maybe he and Pel are just not on the same page?

gates4president

Well Coach Heath is a GREAT COACH if this team has zero shooters!  He made the tournament the past two years with No Shooters!!  Only great coaches can do that!

Razorback88

The problem I have with this stance is the firing of Stan Heath.  I have no doubt Pelphrey is 10 times the coach Stan could ever be, but why did we make a change last year?  Because we said we didn't want to waste the talent on this year's team.  We fired Stan because we didn't think he could get these players deep in the NCAA tournament, and hired a coach we thought would take them there. 

gates4president

Quote from: Razorback88 on December 23, 2007, 02:28:11 pm
The problem I have with this stance is the firing of Stan Heath.  I have no doubt Pelphrey is 10 times the coach Stan could ever be, but why did we make a change last year?  Because we said we didn't want to waste the talent on this year's team.  We fired Stan because we didn't think he could get these players deep in the NCAA tournament, and hired a coach we thought would take them there. 

Razorback88, Great Post!

joeyself

Quote from: Razorback88 on December 23, 2007, 02:28:11 pm

Not exactly.

Stan was fired because after 5 years, the team wasn't making great progress.  With the next coach having a half-dozen or more slots to fill, it was obvious a rebuilding year in 2008-09 was on the horizon.  Since a change was desired, and since this team was likely to make the NCAA tournament regardless of the coach, the idea was to let Heath go now and let the next coach start the rebuilding.

At least that's the reasoning as I remember it last March.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

Ironhawg

IMHO the biggest reason Stan was fired was because attendance at games and enthusiasm over the program was steadily slipping. 

Earl

I think this could be a good team if we had a point gaurd, a Cory Beck type...

kcstar

Even with all the weaknesses that this squad has, if we could just shoot it even fairly good from the outside we would be a pretty good team.  The less than 30% 3 point shooting magnifies our problems.

Razorback88

Quote from: joeyself on December 23, 2007, 04:33:29 pm
Not exactly.

Stan was fired because after 5 years, the team wasn't making great progress.  With the next coach having a half-dozen or more slots to fill, it was obvious a rebuilding year in 2008-09 was on the horizon.  Since a change was desired, and since this team was likely to make the NCAA tournament regardless of the coach, the idea was to let Heath go now and let the next coach start the rebuilding.

At least that's the reasoning as I remember it last March.

JcS

Obviously 2008-09 will be a rebuilding year, and having Pelphrey already here definitely helped with recruiting for this incoming class.  We didn't have any seniors last year though, and one of the reasons he was let go was so we could get someone in to lead this team deep in the tourney.  I think next year is a pass for Pel, but he should be able to win with this group.  The entire team that won 21 last year is back, so expectations need to be high.

LTHogCaller2020

Quote from: Razorback88 on December 24, 2007, 12:21:13 am
Obviously 2008-09 will be a rebuilding year, and having Pelphrey already here definitely helped with recruiting for this incoming class.  We didn't have any seniors last year though, and one of the reasons he was let go was so we could get someone in to lead this team deep in the tourney.  I think next year is a pass for Pel, but he should be able to win with this group.  The entire team that won 21 last year is back, so expectations need to be high.

We won 21 but we also lost 14.  Let's face it, we aren't very good.  We have talent but no true basketball talent outside of Beverly and he is playing terriable.  This team will be OK, but for us to act like they should go to the sweet sixteen or something is ridiculous.  WE CAN"T SCORE and JP will not be able to fix that this year, PERIOD!!

Bama Hog™

Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Razorback88

Quote from: LTHogCaller2020 on December 24, 2007, 11:32:02 am
We won 21 but we also lost 14.  Let's face it, we aren't very good.  We have talent but no true basketball talent outside of Beverly and he is playing terriable.  This team will be OK, but for us to act like they should go to the sweet sixteen or something is ridiculous.  WE CAN"T SCORE and JP will not be able to fix that this year, PERIOD!!

But we blamed about 8 of those losses on coaching, which I agreed with.  We all agreed that Stan was underachieving, so why hold Pel to a different standard when he's using the exact same players?

joeyself

Quote from: Razorback88 on December 24, 2007, 12:21:13 am

And I agree with you, at least to a point.  With a team with this many seniors with SEC experience, I expect to be in the top two in the West and not sweating a spot in the NCAA on Selection Sunday. 

Pelphery is determined to use his system with players that may not be able to play it, and I do question that a bit.  A coach needs to be able to optimize the talent he has available.  Going to the uptempo game this year tells recruits he is committed to it, and let's face it, the returning group didn't set the world on fire in the half-court game. 

All in all, I'm not convinced Pelphery is goint to get the most from this squad that could be gotten with another coach in another system, but I'm willing to see what he can do with his players in his system before coming down hard on him.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

spahoopsfan

I think it is a combination of things.  You can't deny that this team is not a good shooting team.  Several players can make the three but no one is a pure shooter.  The team doesn't make good decisons, no one is a good passer, sure Weems makes some good passes to Hill for the dunk but makes twice as many dumb passes. Townes has very good moves around the basket but doesn't find the open guy if he is double teamed. Hill wants to stand like a six foot guard instead of a standing tall with the ball like a seven foot center and the only defense Thomas can play around the basket is to try and draw a charge.  I love Razorback basketball but the best thing about it and the worst sometimes (the '90 and '94 teams) is that they come and go.  We can only hope for the best for this team and then look forward to whole sale changes next year.

LTHogCaller2020

Quote from: Razorback88 on December 24, 2007, 12:14:34 pm
But we blamed about 8 of those losses on coaching, which I agreed with.  We all agreed that Stan was underachieving, so why hold Pel to a different standard when he's using the exact same players?

They aren't JP's players.  He didn't recruit them.  Let's wait and judge him on his players.  If we look the same 2 years from now then we need to be alarmed.