Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playing on a neutral Court

Started by Newcoachplease, December 22, 2007, 05:17:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Newcoachplease

eliminates home court advantage.

Yes you have your fans, but as you can tell, we did not shoot very well.

Playing in a different gym takes some getting used to, so we lose that advantage when we play on a neutral court.

I would say if we play that game at BWA we shoot better and maybe pull of a close one.

Play your home games at home, not 3 hours away.

ekyle1

Don't think we would of lost that at BWA!

kuhog

You do realize that many programs play basketball on neutral courts all across the country? Usually these team schedule teams that are mid-majors, and they play the games in state. Teams like North Carolina travels to Charlotte, Kansas to Kansas City, Oklahoma to Ok. City, Texas Tech to Dallas, Kentucky to Louisville, to name a few. I don't see the problem with it. All it does is prepare a team for neutral court environment come tournament time.

Smoking Pork

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 05:17:26 pm

Playing in a different gym takes some getting used to, so we lose that advantage when we play on a neutral court.

I would say if we play that game at BWA we shoot better and maybe pull of a close one.

Now wonder we can't win any tournament games. Can't we petition the NCAA to allow us to play all of our tournament games at BWA?

jschulte

Quote from: Smoking Pork on December 22, 2007, 05:53:24 pm
Now wonder we can't win any tournament games. Can't we petition the NCAA to allow us to play all of our tournament games at BWA?

I agree entirely

Newcoachplease

Quote from: kuhog on December 22, 2007, 05:51:55 pm
You do realize that many programs play basketball on neutral courts all across the country? Usually these team schedule teams that are mid-majors, and they play the games in state. Teams like North Carolina travels to Charlotte, Kansas to Kansas City, Oklahoma to Ok. City, Texas Tech to Dallas, Kentucky to Louisville, to name a few. I don't see the problem with it. All it does is prepare a team for neutral court environment come tournament time.

I dont mind neutral court games, like playing baylor is dallas, or something like along those lines. Or playing some midwestern game in kansas. That would be fine.

But just randomly picking some team and playing the game in LR to appease lazy fans who dont want to drive to fayetteville, that i have a problem with.

If your going to play a game in LR, play memphis there every year. That is neutral court.

By playing a game in LR we make it easier for the visiting team.

Smoking Pork

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 05:59:14 pm
I dont mind neutral court games, like playing baylor is dallas, or something like along those lines. Or playing some midwestern game in kansas. That would be fine.

But just randomly picking some team and playing the game in LR to appease lazy fans who dont want to drive to fayetteville, that i have a problem with.

If your going to play a game in LR, play memphis there every year. That is neutral court.

By playing a game in LR we make it easier for the visiting team.

I give up. You can't argue with this kind of intelligence.

broncos7

you do realize we lost to App St, right???  We should not lost to them on THEIR home court.  How can you blame a "neutral" court.  The rims are the same for both teams.  The crowd was 100% HOGS.  Am I missing something???

Newcoachplease

Quote from: broncos7 on December 22, 2007, 06:01:38 pm
you do realize we lost to App St, right???  We should not lost to them on THEIR home court.  How can you blame a "neutral" court.  The rims are the same for both teams.  The crowd was 100% HOGS.  Am I missing something???

Your right, we should beat them everywhere we play them. But we didnt. its nothing against little rock, just play your "home" games at home.

Torqued pork

We're a senior team that WAS ranked in the Top Twenty-Five in pre-season. There's no excuse worth discussing about losing to App. State - NONE!!!

Brass Knob

Maybe not popular in North-Western Ark. but play these games for fan support throughout the state.... It is important for recruiting in other parts of the state and something that really has to be done and something that almost all schools do..... I dont think that BWA means we win this game..... Fundamentals of the game = a win in this games.... These should follow us no matter where we go..... Make free throws, play defense, and dont turn the ball over!!

Newcoachplease

Quote from: Brass Knob on December 22, 2007, 06:23:03 pm
Maybe not popular in North-Western Ark. but play these games for fan support throughout the state.... It is important for recruiting in other parts of the state and something that really has to be done and something that almost all schools do..... I dont think that BWA means we win this game..... Fundamentals of the game = a win in this games.... These should follow us no matter where we go..... Make free throws, play defense, and dont turn the ball over!!

The state is not that big. If you cant drive to fayetteville to see a game, than your just lazy.

I wouldnt mind playing a true "neutral court" game in LR every year, like versus memphis or some other school. It is just stupid to play a "home" game there.

And yes, fundamentals do win games, but home court advantage has a big deal to do with it. That is why in the tournament on neutral courts, anything can happen.

Brass Knob

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 06:31:28 pm
The state is not that big. If you cant drive to fayetteville to see a game, than your just lazy.

I wouldnt mind playing a true "neutral court" game in LR every year, like versus memphis or some other school. It is just stupid to play a "home" game there.

And yes, fundamentals do win games, but home court advantage has a big deal to do with it. That is why in the tournament on neutral courts, anything can happen.

The state isnt that big?  Your are just lazy if you cant drive to see a game..... That is just plain stupid.... The UofA is in the upper most corner of the state..... It almost 5 hours from the eastern half of the state if you live right on I-40..... if you live in in the upper east of lower east it is even longer.... And not everybody can afford a ticket, a hotel, and gas to drive all the way to Fay.  Not a whole of people but not a small state, in respect to size..... I guess if you cant afford it you should get a better paying job because i am sure income is a measure of laziness too! haha....5 hours is a long expensive trip especially for recruits who would like to see us more than once a year..... Little Rock is perfect right in the middle of the state..... It is good for fans and recruiting.... Where are you from?

bassman1994

It's App State.  That's pathetic.  I know anyone can beat you on any given day, and I understand there's parity, but with the team we have... it's just sick.  The frickin' court, home-neutral-away... doesn't matter.  The should have beaten that team.  I'm all about Pelphrey, damn good coach, but the honeymoon is over.

Newcoachplease

Quote from: Brass Knob on December 22, 2007, 06:42:14 pm
The state isnt that big?  Your are just lazy if you cant drive to see a game..... That is just plain stupid.... The UofA is in the upper most corner of the state..... It almost 5 hours from the eastern half of the state if you live right on I-40..... if you live in in the upper east of lower east it is even longer.... And not everybody can afford a ticket, a hotel, and gas to drive all the way to Fay.  Not a whole of people but not a small state, in respect to size..... I guess if you cant afford it you should get a better paying job because i am sure income is a measure of laziness too! haha....5 hours is a long expensive trip especially for recruits who would like to see us more than once a year..... Little Rock is perfect right in the middle of the state..... It is good for fans and recruiting.... Where are you from?

Conway

Lets play all of our games in LR to appease the poor and the lazy. Maybe they will move the university to LR. The fact is the university is in Fayetteville, get over it. That is where the games should be played. 

And Arkansas is not a big state. Texas is a big state, maybe UT should play games in El paso so those people dont have to drive 12  hours to a game.

For anyone in the state, they could have woken up at 7 and drove to fayetteville, grab lunch, watched the game, and drove home and been home by midnight. Yes, games are played in LR for lazy people.

cowboym

Quote from: kuhog on December 22, 2007, 05:51:55 pm

Oklahoma goint to Oklahoma City is not quite the same as Fayetteville to Little Rock.  Norman basically is in Oklahoma City.  It's not very far from Lexington to Louisville either.  Lawrence, KS to KC.   Texas Tech to Dallas is the only one that compares.
Cowboy M

Brass Knob

December 22, 2007, 07:07:25 pm #16 Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:09:15 pm by Brass Knob
Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 06:50:57 pm
Conway

Lets play all of our games in LR to appease the poor and the lazy. Maybe they will move the university to LR. The fact is the university is in Fayetteville, get over it. That is where the games should be played. 

And Arkansas is not a big state. Texas is a big state, maybe UT should play games in El paso so those people dont have to drive 12  hours to a game.

For anyone in the state, they could have woken up at 7 and drove to fayetteville, grab lunch, watched the game, and drove home and been home by midnight. Yes, games are played in LR for lazy people.

Wake up at 7 eat breakfast drive 5 and half hours, bought a ticket, bought supper and and then drove home all in  one day.... That is 11 hours on the road at least $60 for gas a minimum of $15 for 3 meals combined (that is pretty cheap eating for $5), $20 for a ticket....So they are supposed to drive almost 700 miles and spend almost $100 for every home game..... Get real.... In states recruits dont have the time or the financial means to do that..... And Austin is more or less in the middle of Texas so they dont have this problem, so that is not a relevant point....Again you are just ignorant!.. I guess good recruits in the east we should just let go to Memphis or Tennessee?  Because after all they are probably lazy if they cant make home games!

Newcoachplease

Austin is 4 hours from Dallas
about 3 from Houston
about 10 from el paso
10 from lubbuck.
about 2 from San Antonio

How the hell do they get recruits? They dont play games in every city in texas.

How is that not a relevant point. Oh wait, it doesnt support your crappy argument on why we should play every game in some other city.

How about we started playing games in HS gyms of recruits. That way they are not put out.

Maybe Disney World we start a world tour too, because it is too far and expensive for me to drive to.

Get real, play the games where they belong.

I have never heard of a recruit turn us down because fayetteville "was too far" for them and they couldnt afford to get here.

And i bet the players dont like playing there, or at least from there effort, it looked like they didnt.

Brass Knob

about 3 from Houston
about 10 from el paso
10 from lubbuck.
about 2 from San Antonio

Well that is pretty centralized if you ask me.... And UT does actually play in Houston and Lubbock this year..... So i guess they play in state but not Austin like do almost all major D I schools.... And i think you are being extreme because it is becoming hard to defend a rather bad point..... We play 15 games in Fayetteville 2 neutral sites, Dallas where more Ark grads are than any other city outside of ark and NLR, and then we play 9 away games (Not counting exhibition, pre-season touny, or post-season tourny games).... So i think it is obvious 2 neutral sites a year with 15 home games already is good for continuing fan support and good for recruits to see us more than once a year.... This was probably either going to be an away game or a neutral site game, so now are you going to argue that we should have played in    Raleigh, N.C instead of LR.... More of  advantage in LR than N.C.... It is good for the university.... And what about football, we are almost unbeatable in LR, so the team not performing is a result of bad play not the location...

kuhog

Quote from: cowboym on December 22, 2007, 06:55:28 pm
Oklahoma goint to Oklahoma City is not quite the same as Fayetteville to Little Rock.  Norman basically is in Oklahoma City.  It's not very far from Lexington to Louisville either.  Lawrence, KS to KC.   Texas Tech to Dallas is the only one that compares.

These were just a short list of examples. Take a look at where programs play (in state) neutral games. There are a ton of teams that do this. And a lot of these teams travel more than 2-3 hours from campus to get there.

WBChogfan

Why don't we play UALR or ASU in Alltel?

reddogjcss

They should have beat Ap State even if they where playing at the south pole, all the Hawg fans where there. We are going to play lots of road games. Face it this team is average at best; don't matter who's coaching them. :-[

Red Tusk

Were you at the game newcoach?  The Hogs have been playing games in LR since before I was born and will be after I die.  The venue should have NO bearing on this loss today.  The Hogs play ONE non-conference game in the HEART of the Razorback nation and lose. 

I was there front and center and the only reason we lost this was due to leadership from the point.  We don't have it again this year and I hope and pray that somebody steps up and takes it before the conference games start. 

I would argue that there were more AR grads there today in Alltel than there would have been in BWA but its a mute point.  The crowd was not at fault here.  They got beat.  Back to the drawing board. 

If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

Smoking Pork

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 07:28:37 pm
about 3 from Houston
about 10 from el paso
10 from lubbuck.
about 2 from San Antonio

How the hell do they get recruits? They dont play games in every city in texas.

How is that not a relevant point. Oh wait, it doesnt support your crappy argument on why we should play every game in some other city.

How about we started playing games in HS gyms of recruits. That way they are not put out.

Maybe Disney World we start a world tour too, because it is too far and expensive for me to drive to.

Get real, play the games where they belong.

I have never heard of a recruit turn us down because fayetteville "was too far" for them and they couldnt afford to get here.

And i bet the players dont like playing there, or at least from there effort, it looked like they didnt.

Here's what is going to happen some time in the not-so-distant future. All games are going to be played in Fayetteville (football and basketball). By doing so, the Hogs will lose all support in the southern half of Arkansas as well as the northeast quarter.  What Frank and the BOT have failed to realize is that in northwest Arkansas you have a bunch of vendors that have moved in from all over the country to work for J.B. Hunt, Tyson, Wal Mart, etc. These vendors may buy tickets, but they could care less about actually putting their behinds in the seats. They didn't go to school at UAF or grow up in Arkansas. UAF support will eventually be splintered between ASU and UCA. That little backward state to the east of us is a lesson in split support between it's larger universities that we should heed.

Red Tusk

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

Ex-Trumpet

How come UALR doesn't play a home game in Bud Walton?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Smoking Pork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 23, 2007, 12:47:10 am

That's UAF's home court. UAF used to be the entire state's team. Gradually, and sadly, it's becoming NWA's team.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Smoking Pork on December 23, 2007, 02:53:20 pm
That's UAF's home court. UAF used to be the entire state's team. Gradually, and sadly, it's becoming NWA's team.

There is no UAF; there is the University of Arkansas.  It is in Fayetteville, UA.

http://www.uark.edu/rd_vcad/urel/174.htm
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

chiefsfan

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 06:31:28 pm

Not that big of a state.  Its a freaking 5 hour drive from where I live to Fayetville.  Yet only 2 hours to Little Rock.  Call me lazy if you want, but I dont have the time to make a 5 hour drive most days to see a basketball game
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 23, 2007, 12:47:10 am

You honestly think Arkansas would let them?

and for the record, UALR will have to play one game at Alltel this year because they are the technical host for the NCAA's this year when they come to Alltel

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Mr. Prozac

December 24, 2007, 02:45:35 am #31 Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:47:40 am by Mr. Prozac
Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 06:50:57 pm
Conway

Games in Little Rock allow potential recruits from central, southeast, and east Arkansas to experience a game that they otherwise might miss due to a lack of proximity. It keeps the University's feet planted in the remaining 3/4 of the state. It also challenges the team to play outside their comfort zone without scheduling a true road game. They play it at a time when attendence at Bud Walton is generally down a bit anyway (at Christmas). Like it or not, it is also a "nice gesture" to the rest of the state and serves to maintain a sense of ownership for the program for those who live outside Northwest Arkansas. I would venture a guess that not too many people who don't have season tickets would buy a one game ticket to see App. State in Fayetteville at Christmas.

So far as your Texas analogy is concerned: They already play all over Texas and in Oklahoma. This year they played at New Mexico State in Las Cruces (which, if memory serves, is only about 45 minutes from El Paso), and at Rice (in Houston), with games remaining at College Station (dang near in Houston), at Baylor (halfway to Dallas), and at Texas Tech (in Lubbock). They also play at OK State (in Stillwater--4 hours from Dallas) and Oklahoma (Norman--3 hours from Dallas)--both within 2 hours of north Texas. So they do reach most parts of the state, even as expansive as it is.

So, to recap, they will have played games this season in Austin (I believe 19 games), near El Paso, in Houston, near Houston, in Lubbock, in Waco, and two games within 2 hours of drive of north Texas...Their conference is in itself an "outreach program" to the various parts of the state.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 05:17:26 pm

Here I was thinking the reason we shot poorly was because we have poor shooters.  Thanks!

Smoking Pork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 23, 2007, 11:31:10 pm
There is no UAF; there is the University of Arkansas.  It is in Fayetteville, UA.

http://www.uark.edu/rd_vcad/urel/174.htm

Not true. AP style calls it the UAF. Look it up.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Smoking Pork on December 24, 2007, 10:44:44 am
Not true. AP style calls it the UAF. Look it up.

I gave you the official link.  I don't care what AP style calls it.  Who's AP style?  I'm not an alumnus of AP style...

Ex-Trumpet

cthog99

fact is, it doesn't matter where you play, you should beat app state, period.

maumellebyrd

I think UA should play a home game at Barton Colosseum

Red Tusk

Quote from: maumellebyrd on December 24, 2007, 10:40:48 pm
I think UA should play a home game at Barton Colosseum

First Hog game I went to was at Barton..talk about loud.  Alvin Robertson, Darrel Walker, Klein were my heroes in those days.