Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU's Trendon Holliday

Started by El Puerco Grande, December 20, 2007, 01:04:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRock

I believe Brando said that Trindan Holliday is 4'09" tall.

Fatty McGee

From Wikipedia:

"Many reported times are extremely unreliable due to differences in timing methods if not intentional falsifications. The fastest time officially recorded by the NFL was 4.29 seconds by Deion Sanders in 1989 [1], although the NFL did not begin electronic timing until 1990. In the electronic timing era, the fastest recorded time at the NFL combine was 4.30 seconds by cornerback Tye Hill in 2006 [2]. As noted above, most other times are not trustworthy due to the use of hand timing, but it is often claimed that players such as Sanders, DeAngelo Hall, Michael Vick, Bo Jackson, Randy Moss, Darrell Green, Laveranues Coles, have run the 4.1-4.2 range in college workouts.

The absolute fastest time has likely not been run by a football player but by a sprinter in track and field. Although 40 yards is never run, the 60 meter dash is a well-regulated track and field distance, the official record for which is 6.39 seconds by Maurice Greene. Studying tapes of sprinter Ben Johnson's world-record breaking 1988 100 meter dash (which was later annulled due to Johnson's steroid use), however, show that Johnson ran the 60 m in 6.37 seconds, this is considered the most quickly started race ever run [3]. Nonetheless, Johnson "only" covered the first 40 yards in 4.38 seconds. It is highly doubtful that any football player could run 40 yards faster than a world-class sprinter in spikes on a track, casting doubts on many claimed 40 yard times.

However, in track and field races, the runner must react to the starting gun, which can take 0.2-0.3 seconds. For electronically timed 40 yard dashes, the runner is allowed to start when he wishes, which automatically triggers the clock. This difference would indicate that, at peak form, Johnson more likely ran the 40 yard dash in 4.08-4.18 seconds, making claims of 4.2-range 40 times more credible."
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

mcrabtr81

I have always heard the fastest man to ever play in the NFL was Darrell Green.  Cornerback with the Washington Redskins from 1983-2002. In his prime he ran the 40 in 4.125 seconds and at training camp in 1986 ran an unofficial time of 4.09 seconds.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Hell how fast was Peyton getting it in the LSU game when he broke for the TD (nobody was catching that dude?)
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

CowHog

definetly not.....holliday is not near as fast as Deion was in his prime

moellerboi

Dieon in his prime was blazing fast.  But Holiday is a 10 flat 100 meters guy, I don't see how you can he's not as fast, or faster than Sanders.  Holiday has elite track speed. 

FBPLAYER65

The fastest man ever on steroids on a lightning fast track ran a 4.26 wind aided forty. It is not humanly possible to break 4.2 legitimately.

Boarcephus

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on December 20, 2007, 02:50:04 pm
This is about the best explaination of 40 times that I have seen.  It makes perfect sense.   I'm impressed!

I'd like to take full credit for it but that's cut and paste!  I'd read about Ben Johnson's time a few years ago when all these 4.1 and 4.2's started coming out and no way could a football player outrun a juiced up Johnson or a Greene, in competition with starting blocks.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HamShank

No, he's not a 4.09.  Nobody is.  And Holiday is 4 foot 3 inches tall and his legs are only a foot and a half long, so HELL no.

realpig

When you are talking about a 4.0 from the blocks, you are talking about reaction time and start speed as much as running speed.  A lot of these guys run kneck and kneck on the field, but few have the ability to reach full speed in 2 steps.  That's the difference in a 4.4 and a 4.1.
Successful people do what unsuccessful people dislike doing.  It's not that they like doing them, but their strength of purpose is greater than their dislike of doing them.

Josh Goforth

December 20, 2007, 07:35:35 pm #60 Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:37:30 pm by jg8417
A time under 4.3 is complete bs for a college athlete, pretty much take whatever time a guy has listed and add .2
Mcfadden is in that category with holliday, prob around a 4.35 legitimately. Holliday is prob a step faster at 4.3

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56491
If Mcfadden had a faster time he would def have it on here.

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trindon_Holliday

razorkev

Quote from: Nashville Fan on December 20, 2007, 01:21:52 pm
My bad. Devin Hester was clocked at 4.27 somewhere. Seems like most have him at 4.29.

Jacob Hester I just looked up is 4.73

I know this thread is about speed...but..When Jacob Hester runs folks over with his 4.7 speed...thats so much more entertaining....hehehe
In God I Trust

razorbak

"The fastest man ever on steroids on a lightning fast track ran a 4.26 wind aided forty. It is not humanly possible to break 4.2 legitimately."

"A time under 4.3 is complete bs for a college athlete, pretty much take whatever time a guy has listed and add .2
Mcfadden is in that category with holliday, prob around a 4.35 legitimately. Holliday is prob a step faster at 4.3."

I call B.S. on most of this thread's posts [though I'm sure it is unintentional B.S., unlike ESPN'S intentional B.S.].

The quotes above finally injected some reality into the debate.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

jdh71

I heard an announcer on tv a month or so ago during an LSU game and he was talking about Holliday, and he said the Holliday made a statement that he thought he was fast until he ran against Tyson Gay and Holliday said Tyson hit second gear and it was over.

StewHogg11

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 20, 2007, 01:09:53 pm
He is a NCAA 100 meter Champion !
No, he's not.  Walter Dix from Florida State beat him this year.
Every program has down years, Florida State just turns them into winning seasons.

"Friendly a** punks talking bad on the internet/Anybody who types that much can't be a danger/See me in person bet I break yo fangers" - WILLIE D

Turnberry

December 21, 2007, 12:59:44 am #65 Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:03:51 am by Turnberry
Alexander Wright, former Dallas Cowboy WR, ran a 4.09 once.  He actually ran a 4.14 and then a 4.09 at the Valley Ranch track.  I believe they were wind-aided though. It was well documented right after he did it. 
aka PlanoHog

FBPLAYER65

Like I said the fastest man ever on steroids on a lightning fast track ran a 4.26 wind aided forty. Some of you really are clueless.

Beaverfever

Quote from: CowHog on December 20, 2007, 06:38:10 pm
definetly not.....holliday is not near as fast as Deion was in his prime
NOBODY is way faster than someone who can run a 10 flat 100 meter. 

hoggystyle78

All I know is that if Michael Grant would've been healthy for the LSU game that year, Holliday doesn't break the long TD run. JMO

HogsSon46

Quote from: buckyhog on December 20, 2007, 01:19:33 pm
From Wikipedia:

Many players with incredible times have also done amazing things in the NFL, for example:

Bo Jackson ran a 4.12[2]. As a part-time player, Bo averaged 5.4 yards per carry. He also had 221 rushing yards on November 30, 1987 (just 29 days after his first NFL carry), which is still a Monday Night Football record.
Deion Sanders officially ran a 4.17. He also ran a 4.57 backwards.
DeAngelo Hall, a cornerback currently playing for the Atlanta Falcons, ran a 4.15 second 40 yard dash (on a rubber track, which is considered informal for the 40 yard). On a regular dirt track he ran a 4.24.
Randy Moss, a wide receiver currently playing for the New England Patriots, ran a 4.25 second 40 yard dash. Moss currently holds the rookie TD reception record with 17.
Devin Hester ran a disappointing 4.5 40 at the 2006 NFL Scouting Combine, but then ran a 4.24 when he participated in the Pro Day event held by the University of Miami. He is now considered one of the best kick returners in NFL history and holds numerous return records.
Reggie Bush ran a 4.33, in 2006, he was the only rookie and the only running back to score a rushing TD and punt return TD. He also led the rookie running backs in receiving and set the NFL record for most catches by a NFL rookie running back
Ellis Hobbs, a cornerback currently playing for the New England Patriots, ran a 4.39 second 40-yard dash and has gone on to tie the record for the second-longest play, the longest being from chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie on a field goal that was returned. (a 108 yard kick return; Devin Hester and Nathan Vasher), and also hold the record for the longest kick return.
Other notable 40 yard dash times (not all official or electric gate times) are:

Joey Galloway ran a 4.18, Michael Bennett supposedly ran a 4.13, Willie Gault, who played with Walter Payton on the 1985 Chicago Bears, supposedly has time of 3.95 and 4.08. Considering this, the fastest 40 ran by a professional sprinter was 4.2/4.3 by Asafa Powell (9.74,World Record), so the 3.95 stands as incorrect. However, Gault did once run a more legitimate 4.1 40. There have been many other 4.1 and 4.2 40 yard dashes recorded, and many of these were hand timed once again bringing in the human factor of, "margin for error".

Now that's impressive!

mike32

Holliday ran a 10.02 100 meters.  He ran against the (American) pros in the track and field trials earlier this year.  Came in second to a man you may have heard of ----Tyson Gay--Holliday was leading at 60 meters and Gay hit another gear and it was over.

gobhog

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on December 21, 2007, 07:41:25 am
Like I said the fastest man ever on steroids on a lightning fast track ran a 4.26 wind aided forty. Some of you really are clueless.

Apples to Oranges
In track you start off the gun and anything faster than a .1 reaction time is considered a false start. If the football 40 is hand timed there is another .24 seconds (that is how much you add to a hand time to make it a FAT time)
So that same 4.26 forty on a track in a race could legitamately be 3.92 at WORST if hand timed. Understand??

jasonf

he won the NCAA 100 meters - so I don't know what his 40 is, but I don't doubt that he's the fastest college athlete.

DC

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on December 21, 2007, 09:17:10 am
All I know is that if Michael Grant would've been healthy for the LSU game that year, Holliday doesn't break the long TD run. JMO
I was wondering when someone would mention Grant. Anyone know how fast he is?

StewHogg11

Quote from: jasonf on December 21, 2007, 06:35:58 pm
he won the NCAA 100 meters - so I don't know what his 40 is, but I don't doubt that he's the fastest college athlete.
Like I said earlier no he didn't.  Walter Dix from FSU won the 100M this year.
Every program has down years, Florida State just turns them into winning seasons.

"Friendly a** punks talking bad on the internet/Anybody who types that much can't be a danger/See me in person bet I break yo fangers" - WILLIE D

LSUFan

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JLaws

At the 2000 draft, the St. Louis Rams selected RB Trung Canidate in the first round and I just remember Mike Martz saying he ran a 4.0#... don't have a link to back that.
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rjoyner44 on December 20, 2007, 01:12:26 pm
In our lifetime, I predict someone will run a 3.99!

I saw a guy about a month ago run a 3.99 to Oxford...some chick was chasing him w/a 2x4...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: rjoyner44 on December 20, 2007, 01:12:26 pm
In our lifetime, I predict someone will run a 3.99!
I ran a 3.9 20 once.

stronguard

Joey Galloway, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Darrell Green and Willie Gault have all been reported to run a 4.19. 

No way this kid ran a 4.09.  Did not happen.

On a side note, there was a kid at Jacksonville in the early 90's named Marketha who ran a legit 4.25.  Electronically timed.  I was there, I watched it.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.