Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[merged] All posts about Tulsa coverage in Arkansas media go here

Started by Jones4040, April 23, 2007, 07:57:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jones4040

I never thought i would see film of the Tulsa spring game on an Arkansas TV.

Like GM or not (most of us like him), does anyone really give a flip about Tulsa?

This weekend we had track and Hog baseball, news from the basketball team, the cardinals, the nba finals, etc. and we get highlights of the Tulsa spring game?

The true colors are showing, when you take time away from our bad ass baseball team and give it to Tulsa's spring game.

True Colors shining through.

Hogchick

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 07:57:17 am

Like GM or not (most of us like him), does anyone really give a flip about Tulsa?

This weekend we had track and Hog baseball, news from the basketball team, the cardinals, the nba finals, etc. and we get highlights of the Tulsa spring game?

The true colors are showing, when you take time away from our bad ass baseball team and give it to Tulsa's spring game.

Do the stations up there usually show Tulsa stuff?

Hollywood_HOGan45

tulsa stations up here show arksansas stuff all the time.

I'll echo cabothog's words:

Cry me a frankin river

Jones4040

Never...Now the Tulsa papers report some on Arkansas, but not the other way around and rightfully so.

TOM "tbw1"

You, sir, are a witling.  KFSM's viewing area reaches all the way to Tulsa.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Jones4040

Then why does channel 5 not cover tulsa all the time?

DSMSHog

April 23, 2007, 08:06:06 am #6 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:51:14 am by kgr
What is this world coming to.

Jones4040

There are Hog fans in Tulsa, but I have never in my life met a Tulsa fan living over here.

Jones4040

Do you really think the Hog Baseball team's time should get cut so Tulsa's spring game can get covered?

RazorsEdge

The NBA finals were this weekend?  I didn't even know that, but I don't like the NBA.  It just always seemed like the finals were in June.

Jones4040, when you are a sports director you will be able to make your own decisions.  You could put your "Day in the life of Houston Nutt segment" against the Tulsa spring game.  Until then..........

Since 1894

I respectfully disagree with your Jones4040.  Your profile doesn't say where you are located from but in NWA, a lot of people want to follow Gus and get updates.  We have seen the HUNH Spread for years and want to see if it can work in college.  Tulsa is less than 2 hours away now and we will always wonder, what if.

If you listened to Mike on Press Row this morning, he gave his opinion of where the Tulsa program is right now and pointed out several shortcomings.  They have a lot of needs right now that they will have to work on (via recruiting) and Mike's opinion was that having the fans call the plays was kind of weird.  I got the impression (as of right now), Mike would be surprised if the HUNH Spread would take a couple of years before it got up and going.

Be Good

John
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

arklahoman36

Considering part of the KFSM coverage area is in eastern Okla, I don't know why it's so shocking or appalling that Tulsa would get a little coverage.

The Tulsa stations throw a little coverage of ARK on the air there, and the Tulsa World regularly includes ARK coverage.

Quit your whining and change the channel if you don't like it.

Jones4040

I said nothing about Nutt...I said Hog baseball got cut for Tulsa spring game.

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:06:51 am
There are Hog fans in Tulsa, but I have never in my life met a Tulsa fan living over here.
There are a lot of Gus fans over here that want to see how the HUNH plays out in college.  If you dont want to watch, turn the channel. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

so Im assuming you've met everybody in the nwa area

Hog Scratch Fever

What's the big deal?  I've never been a Tulsa fan, but I have interest in the program now just because I want to see how Malzahn does there, and I live in Conway.  I haven't abandoned my love for the hogs, I am just hoping Malzahn does well.  I'm sure the same goes for Mike.  I don't know him personally, but I can imagine he still loves the hogs, but is interested in how Gus does, but is frustrated at what has gone on at the hill.  No more, no less.
"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

Jones4040

Since 1894....isn't it funny that fans and media expect 3 years for the HUNH to get installed at Tulsa, but when it was Arkansas they expected it on day 1?

Gus could have installed it here in 3 years, but we will never know. Not enough patience here. Gotta win now. Tulsa can lose every game for the next 2 years and nobody would care.

Jones4040

So, I gather that all of you are ok with time being cut away from the Hog Baseball team and givin to the Tulsa spring game.

I mean guys this isn't even note worthy. Every school has a spring game and you can't learn anything by them. Mike could have said " Tulsa and GM had their Spring game today" and that would have told you everything you needed to know. Its not like film from the game is going to tell you anything.

Why can't we just give the time to the Hogs?

Porkerpower

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:07:48 am
Do you really think the Hog Baseball team's time should get cut so Tulsa's spring game can get covered?

Ya see, you're trying to dictate what other people do with a sports report.  If it offends you that much, change channels. Never watch that channel again if it makes you feel better.
It's news worthy in NWA because one of their own is there.  Malzahn has a chance to do stuff of legend at Tulsa.  So far in his college career, one year, he's the defending "offensive coordinator of the year", according to Rivals.  He has greatness written all over him, and all of college football can see it.  He's from Springdale for gosh sake.  A local boy doin good.  Be happy for him.

Yea, it's news worthy in NWA.

Jones4040

OK, then why didn't they cover the North carolina Spring game? Butch Davis is a springdale high alum and his Dad still lives on Springdale CC? Do we cover every sports figure that has ever spent time in NWA?

No one has answered my question. Do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring Game?

Tomhog™

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:13:43 am
Since 1894....isn't it funny that fans and media expect 3 years for the HUNH to get installed at Tulsa, but when it was Arkansas they expected it on day 1?

Gus could have installed it here in 3 years, but we will never know. Not enough patience here. Gotta win now. Tulsa can lose every game for the next 2 years and nobody would care.

When you have a coach off of two consecutive losing seasons and and a very hot seat, absolutely he wasn't going to give it three years to be implemented...

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:19:20 am
OK, then why didn't they cover the North carolina Spring game? Butch Davis is a springdale high alum and his Dad still lives on Springdale CC? Do we cover every sports figure that has ever spent time in NWA?

No one has answered my question. Do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring Game?

Butch Davis hasnt coached here in many many moons.

WIsh he was here right now but our AD was too stupid to cut the nutt when BD was available.

RazorsEdge

Since Gus grew up in Ft. Smith, people there are likely to be interested as well.  Who won the NBA finals?

sihog

Tulsa??hell no GO HOGS GO
GO HOGS GO

NuttinItUp

Who cares. KFSM and all tv stations cover things that they think will interest their viewership. If you don't like it, don't watch. Supply and demand.

Jones4040

Once again I ask.....Do you think it is good to cut time away from the Hog baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?

spudhog

name me 5 players from our baseball team? 4 matchups in the nba playoff's? 

Kilgor

Viewers want to see it.  Deal with it.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

RazorsEdge

Jones4040, you have 61 posts on this board.  Most of your posts are about Mitch, Damian and Gus.  You have one post about the Razorback baseball team.  Why are you devoting your time to something negative when you could be posting about the Razorback baseball team.  It looks to me like the coverage is about right for you.

DeltaBoy

see ya in Vent or the Trashcan!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: RazorsEdge on April 23, 2007, 08:31:03 am
Jones4040, you have 61 posts on this board.  Most of your posts are about Mitch, Damian and Gus.  You have one post about the Razorback baseball team.  Why are you devoting your time to something negative when you could be posting about the Razorback baseball team.  It looks to me like the coverage is about right for you.
Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

Big_D

You might want to reevaluate your position on Tulsa fans that live over here now, in light of Gus going over there.

What you don't seem to realize is I can love the Hogs and still pull for Gus too. Does your brain not seem to comprehend that?

Jones4040

Hamblin, Coon, Jones 1, jones 2, Walker, Willard, Duggar, Sschmidt, Welker, todd.

Bulls Heat
Rockets Jazz
Spurs Nuggets
Nets Raptors

the donger

I give a flip about TU football.

HogSophist

True ignorance is showing through.

all stations up here show Jacksonville Jaguars highlights too, wonder why?

all stations up here used to show Pittsburgh Steelers stuff too, every hear of barry foster?

wonder why there are a lot of bronco fans in ARK? ever hear of atwater

what do folks like you, who will bitch about tulsa coverage, or soon to be USC snippets have to gain. People on here care about those with an arkansas connection.

So, look yourself in the mirror stewart smalley and give yourself a daily affirmation, it will be ok.

your insecurity knows no bounds
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Porkerpower

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:26:52 am
Once again I ask.....Do you think it is good to cut time away from the Hog baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?

I didn't see the sports show, but did they not do any reporting on the hogs baseball and track team?  Surely they did.
I'm assuming you're trying to say a Tulsa segment could have been replaced by MORE hog coverage?  Is this correct?

Or did they omit hog coverage all together?  If so, shame on them.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:33:32 am
Hamblin, Coon, Jones 1, jones 2, Walker, Willard, Duggar, Sschmidt, Welker, todd.

Bulls Heat
Rockets Jazz
Spurs Nuggets
Nets Raptors
Should I count that as your second post about Razorback baseball?

HogSophist

True ignorance is showing through.

all stations up here show Jacksonville Jaguars highlights too, wonder why?

all stations up here used to show Pittsburgh Steelers stuff too, every hear of barry foster?

wonder why there are a lot of bronco fans in ARK? ever hear of atwater

what do folks like you, who will bitch about tulsa coverage, or soon to be USC snippets have to gain. People on here care about those with an arkansas connection.

So, look yourself in the mirror stewart smalley and give yourself a daily affirmation, it will be ok.

your insecurity knows no bounds
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Nashville Fan

Let me see. You are complaining and point fingers at Mike for covering a story 100% created by HDN? Not sure I understand your post. To me it would make more sense to post something about HDN spliting the football interests in NWA.

Actually, I would be interested to know if more went to the Tulsa spring game then the AR spring game and the attendence at Tulsa spring game this year versus last year.
Pittman or Bust!

Porkerpower

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:26:52 am

I didn't see the sports show, but did they not do any reporting on the hogs baseball and track team?  Surely they did.
I'm assuming you're trying to say a Tulsa segment could have been replaced by MORE hog coverage?  Is this correct?

Or did they omit hog coverage all together?  If so, shame on them.

1stwordswerewoopig

This has been said before but I'll repeat it...

They show what they think interests their viewership.

If you are offended, let them know (letter/phone call), and change the channel.

If you're REALLY offended, let their advertisers know.

That seemed to work against Imus!

Jones4040

Once again I ask...do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?

hogtusk

I'm interested in how Gus does in Tulsa, but not at the expense of Razorback coverage. Take the time away from the weather or something else.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Coacht

I'm interested in what GM does at Tulsa. I'm a hog fan. However, I am an Arkansas fan as well. I would love to see anyone from Arkansas do well anywhere they go. GM is in a position to make a big name for himself and I would like to say I followed him from the beginning.
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

RazorsEdge

Once again, Jones4040, you have 64 posts on this board.  Most of your posts are about Mitch, Damian and Gus.  You have one post about the Razorback baseball team.  Why are you devoting your time to something negative when you could be posting about the Razorback baseball team.  It looks to me like the coverage is about right for you.

OKCHogFan

I want Gus to prove his system can work...

STRILE

You are such a hugger.  Gus will always be a Razorback.  I, for one, wish him the best.  I believe the sky is the limit for him.
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

HogSophist

Is it your position that channel 5 did not cover the Arkansas themes at all? (i didnt catch 5 news)

Or is it your position that they did, but you ASSUME that because TU highlights were shown, it cut a UofA spot short?

If it is the first, you have a valid point. If it is the second, you have nada....

russell33

whats the big deal? all 4 of the tulsa channels cover the hogs.

Since 1894

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:16:43 am
So, I gather that all of you are ok with time being cut away from the Hog Baseball team and givin to the Tulsa spring game.

I mean guys this isn't even note worthy. Every school has a spring game and you can't learn anything by them. Mike could have said " Tulsa and GM had their Spring game today" and that would have told you everything you needed to know. Its not like film from the game is going to tell you anything.

Why can't we just give the time to the Hogs?

Jones4040 -

Yes, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to install the HUNH Spread offense.  If it takes Tulsa a couple of years to get it up to speed, then that will be a positive in the eyes of the HDN supporters.  After two losiing seasons, HDN couldn't afford another sub-par year and that is why he again went with his strengths. JMHO.

Also, you keep saying that the TU report "cut into" baseball coverage.  Do we really know that?  Maybe Ch. 5 gave as much time to baseball as they would normally have and they would have gone; if not to TU football, to a different story - maybe golf, MLB, ...

I don't know.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.