Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit picks SEC divisional champs for 2007 season

Started by pittstr, April 20, 2007, 10:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pittstr

Herbstreit just picked LSU to win the West and Florida to win the East next season.

hogfan064

Both have QB questions although both teams do have talent at that position

badbrad

OnYourToes

Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

Big_D

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 20, 2007, 10:36:39 am

Do we have  quarterback questions?

DeltaBoy

I go with that.  I think Ole Miss is gonna suprise some folks this fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bsking

Yeah, thats who always gets picked.  LSU is a very awkward team for me this year.  They dont really have a "star" runningback to put the load on his shoulders, and they will have to find a replacement for JR.  They will most likeley be very good, but dont be suprised if they struggle to put points on the board the first few games.

UMGOBLUE

MICHIGAN FOOTBALL
11 National Championships
42 Big Ten Championships

You can write tony all over that one Buckeyes

Winner

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Big_D on April 20, 2007, 10:40:08 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 20, 2007, 10:36:39 am

Do we have  quarterback questions?

Yes we do....who's gonna handoff this year?.....or whats a quarterback?

jst01

Kirk Herb cares more about how his shirt and hair look than making logical picks.  stay on the bandwagon Kirk!

solix

LSU has Periloux (sp?) i think, but didn't he get in trouble for counterfeiting?  that would be a huge question mark.  I really don't think tebow can carry the load this year

tigerLSU

Quote from: bsking on April 20, 2007, 10:42:36 am
They dont really have a "star" runningback to put the load on his shoulders,

the strength of LSU team will be the RB, last season we had 0 running game. Next year we have 2 studs in Keiland williams and R.Murphy.
KW will be the second best RB in the SEC next to DMC

slopinhogs

the way our QB situation is i don't feel really good about this year. and our defence is awfullt thin. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

cbjagman

Quote from: pittstr on April 20, 2007, 10:35:48 am
Herbstreit just picked LSU to win the West and Florida to win the East next season.
Gosh, since Herbstreit knows a lot about football should anyone be really surprised?

tigerLSU

Quote from: solix on April 20, 2007, 10:47:37 am
LSU has Periloux (sp?) i think, but didn't he get in trouble for counterfeiting?  that would be a huge question mark.  I really don't think tebow can carry the load this year

Matt Flynn (senior) will start, RP will see significent play time

311Hog

spe450

Quote from: solix on April 20, 2007, 10:47:37 am
Flynn will step in and do a great job, just like he did a couple of years ago.

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: tigerLSU on April 20, 2007, 10:48:11 am

the strength of LSU team will be the RB, last season we had 0 running game. Next year we have 2 studs in Keiland williams and R.Murphy.

No...he'll have to settle for third best.  F.Jones is the second best RB in the SEC and maybe America.

tigerLSU

Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2007, 10:49:27 am
LSU will have an ungodly defense.

Defesne will be the best ever at LSU
the Talent at the front 7 is just insane, We never had an LSU team so deep at the DE/DL before. so many studs decided to return, like glen dorsey, he could have easily been the 1st DL taken in the draft, he chose to stay

H&D

Quote from: jst01 on April 20, 2007, 10:46:37 am
Kirk Herb cares more about how his shirt and hair look than making logical picks.  stay on the bandwagon Kirk!

How are those not logical picks??  Would it be more more logical to pick the Hogs, unproven QB, everyones eyes on D-Mac and young unexperienced defense and a special teams that well is more "short bus special" the past few years.  And in no way is this a attack on the players, you can only do what you are coached.  And it is hard to be coached when there is so much "charity" work to be done.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

tigerLSU

Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on April 20, 2007, 10:51:35 am

No...he'll have to settle for third best.  F.Jones is the second best RB in the SEC and maybe America.

Wait and see

KW will be the next DMC when its said and done

hogfan3414

third best..maybe

redbarn

With Nutt as our coach and the people we lost and are having to replace plus every other team keying on DMac and Jones since we will have no passing game they may be right.  BUT...........Look where they had us picked last year in preseason.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

demonHOG1013

No maybe about it....if he was at another school they would be the top two heisman finalists

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: tigerLSU on April 20, 2007, 10:52:57 am

Wait and see

We'll see.  I'm sure he's good and he may put up better #'s since he's not playing second fiddle to a Doak Walker winner, but I'll take Felix Jones any day of the week.

hogfan3414

Wait and see

haha..i'm waiting

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on April 20, 2007, 10:53:37 am

No maybe about it....if he was at another school they would be the top two heisman finalists

I agree, demon.

Bomis Hawg

LSU's defense will be unreal.  That, alone, should put them ahead.
Alabama and Auburn are wildcards.  Both have coaching, but can the team respond?
Arkansas could be in either group, really.
I think Ole Miss might creep up if they get ANY sort of consistancy from Schaeffer.
Oh, and Miss State....

Most of you are jumping on the Kentucky bandwagon.  They'll come back to earth.  Vanderbilt is the team to look for if you want a surprise team.

Florida is the sexy pick in the East.  I think the usual suspects are there.  I think SoCar might be ahead of Georgia again if Stafford hasn't improved, but I have zero research done.

hogsanity

So are we bashing Herbstriet for picking the obvious 2 teams, or because he did not pick the Hogs.  LSu and Fl both DESTROYED their BCs opponents.  Yea, LSu has questions at Qb and WR, and FLa may be weaker on D, but how can you not pick both of those teams?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pigfeet

jst01

Bomis, your pic looks too much like mine, Did you notice Nick flippin off the hitter with his glove hand??  you know you're good when you can say F you to the batter and then K him..

MuskogeeHogFan

Those are solid but very, very early picks. A lot can happen between now and then. I look for Georgia and Bama to be better than expected and I think that Tennessee will bounce back as well. Ole Miss may have a surprise upset or two and South Carolina will be a thorn in the sides of many teams this fall.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

jameshogfan

What a tuffy....

That's like me watching Rocky IV and announcing before the fight that I predict Rocky will win. Duh...

spudhog

auburn might win the west. jawja wins the east. tebow is overratted. they lost a lot of defense.

UMGOBLUE

yeah, it sucks to be a gator fan right now. 
[/quote]

I never said it sucks being a gator fan. i just don't think they have the ability to win the SEC East next year with Tennessee and Georgia. I have nothing against Florida
MICHIGAN FOOTBALL
11 National Championships
42 Big Ten Championships

You can write tony all over that one Buckeyes

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2007, 10:59:49 am
So are we bashing Herbstriet for picking the obvious 2 teams, or because he did not pick the Hogs.  LSu and Fl both DESTROYED their BCs opponents.  Yea, LSu has questions at Qb and WR, and FLa may be weaker on D, but how can you not pick both of those teams?

I agree with hogsanity.  Anyone who's done their homework won't pick Arkansas due to HDN's "choke record" in the big games.  There's no way I'd pick against Florida or LSU......without a doubt the two most talented teams in the SEC.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: jst01 on April 20, 2007, 11:02:24 am
Bomis, your pic looks too much like mine, Did you notice Nick flippin off the hitter with his glove hand??  you know you're good when you can say F you to the batter and then K him..

Nice.  Nick is very good.  When you can back it up, it ain't braggin. ;D

Had to change my pick today, though.
We should all take a moment and remember those at Va. Tech.  And, wear your maroon.

Bomis Hawg

1993 & 1994 were the last two years a team from the SEC West repeated as division champions.
Alabama did it.  History is not on Arkansas' side.  LSU was the last to win the SECW after Arkansas won.

hogfan064

If it comes down to coaching then it will be South Carolina vs Alabama

If it comes down to talent its Florida vs LSU

cbjagman

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 20, 2007, 11:34:45 am

I noticed that Arkansas wasn't included in either of your lists. Are you crazy? They would certainly qualify in the first category........hands down.

mtownhog

Wait and see

Keiland Williams will be a very good running back, but to say hes the next dmac is blasphemy

arkbengal

Quote from: UMGOBLUE on April 20, 2007, 11:06:39 am
yeah, it sucks to be a gator fan right now. 

I never said it sucks being a gator fan. i just don't think they have the ability to win the SEC East next year with Tennessee and Georgia. I have nothing against Florida
[/quote]

UMGOBLUE, what are the Michigan boards saying about the Ryan Mallett situation ?

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: tigerLSU on April 20, 2007, 10:51:59 am
Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2007, 10:49:27 am
LSU will have an ungodly defense.

Defesne will be the best ever at LSU
the Talent at the front 7 is just insane, We never had an LSU team so deep at the DE/DL before. so many studs decided to return, like glen dorsey, he could have easily been the 1st DL taken in the draft, he chose to stay

Don't be modest. LSU was a great team last year, and they will continue to be a great team. IMHO they were underrated in the polls last year, and I believe should've played for the National title.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

3kgthog

LSU will beat us regardless of if they win the division. We don't have the passing game or the special teams to get us over the top against elite competition.

Hollywood_HOGan45

LSU will have a ferocious defense and they could end up winning the national title.

no dad gum way are we able to move the ball on them with a one diminsional offenese.

Pigasaurus

Herbstreit was one of the first talking up the hogs and Dmac on natl tv last year.  He will be back on the dmac train again.  After the Auburn game, he included a mention of the hogs every time he was on.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

spraycanhog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 20, 2007, 11:34:45 am

Thats why it will be Tenn vs Ark,  the favored teams never win.

The running game never wins!
Go Hogs!
Fire Nutt!
Hire Gus!

moses_007

Ouachihog

How many passes did Tebow throw last year other than the "jump shot" pass??

Seriously?

Florida is talented, and will have a good year, but they will miss Leak more than they realize. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."