Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey said all of the right things but...

Started by razrken, April 10, 2007, 11:03:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

toshortrock

all the stuff we been through,and he acted like he wants to be here,and i really think he is excited to be here,let;s roll with him and see what happens ,,go hogs
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

sage_dragoon

John Pelphrey was part of a a triva answer on Stump the Schwab the other day.

The question was who were the two Kentucky Wildcats who were guarding Christian Laettner when he made the game winning shot at the buzzer for Duke's 92' championship.

I cant remember the other guy, but our coach was the onther.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

jbcarol

quote author=sage_dragoon
John Pelphrey was part of a a triva answer on Stump the Schwab the other day.

The question was who were the two Kentucky Wildcats who were guarding Christian Laettner when he made the game winning shot at the buzzer for Duke's 92' championship.

I cant remember the other guy, but our coach was the onther.
[/quote]

The other guy was Deron Feldhaus
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Pelphrey is a very smart guy.  He is always prepared for whatever situation he encounters.  He has been trained by the best, but Pitino would probably tell you that he had a lot of the necessary qualities to coach before he even quit playing.  He will be great no matter how long Arkansas has him.  He will make a difference in the program.  Give him a chance!
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

razornole

Quote from: hawgslop74 on April 10, 2007, 11:09:08 am
That just tells me that he did his homework and pays attention to detail.
:razorback:

you know cross your ts dot our is.  caught me off guard too, not use to seeing that kind of preperation as I mostly follow the football team
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

hoglady

Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 01:24:25 pm
The one thing that still bothers me, is the comment he made about not wanting to coach at KY because it would tarnish what he did there as a player.  The article in the NW Ark Times today suggested that we had to wait to speak to him until the KY job was filled becuase he was interested in that job.  So that's the first lie.  Should we start keeping count?
I took that answer as kind of a joke type answer - not totally serious. He shouldn't have been asked that at the press conference anyway, what kind of stupid question was that right then?
He said he learned AR Basketball history from Eddie Sutton - said he talked about the Razorbacks all the time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: jbcarol on April 10, 2007, 08:56:49 pm
Pelphrey is a very smart guy.  He is always prepared for whatever situation he encounters.  He has been trained by the best, but Pitino would probably tell you that he had a lot of the necessary qualities to coach before he even quit playing.  He will be great no matter how long Arkansas has him.  He will make a difference in the program.  Give him a chance!

Agree.  You could tell the same with Travis Ford, who was a true floor general at point.  Glad he got an extension at UMass.

jbcarol

Thanks to Mrs. jb for holding the rope while I was out of the country.

I missed the PC and don't know if Coach Pelphrey's answer was planned or off the cuff relating to tarnishing his image at UK.

Though not an All-American, Pelphrey and the group of Kentucky boys who stayed with UK are legendary in Kentucky.  What is true in his statement is that anything less than a Pitino-type run would spoil that legacy.  He was a red shirt under Sutton.  The school was one more wrong answer away from the death penalty.  John and Co. stayed with it rather than run.

For Pitino he played as a 6'7" Point Forward when they needed him too.  It is hard to get video footage of the '90 and '91 seasons because they were banned from TV.  Pelphrey led UK to the SEC Championship in '91 but the team was not recognized.  You will remember epic games in '92 vs. Razorbacks and vs. Duke.  What is more amazing is that UK was a #2 seed and won the SEC tournament.  (They had added Sophomore F Jamal Mashburn).

As posted earlier, Pelphrey was Pitino's challenge in the lockerroom and his advocate.  When UK was down at half, Pelphrey was the only player giving it 100%.  Pitino spent the entire half chewing Pelphrey out.  The other players got fired up and UK came back to win.  Pelphrey could take it. 

His banner hangs in Rupp Arena not due to performance or national championships.  It is due to loyalty and commitment because he stayed with it and UK took a chance on him (key attritbute for Razorback fans). 

As for U of A history, Pelphrey as an older elementary schooler would have reveled in the U.S. Reed shot as UofL was a hated rival at that time even though they did not play each other.  He was an assistant to Donovan at Florida as well as his time with Sutton.  Glad he was prepared.  More excited for the Hawg Fans.  Mrs. jb, you called that play, sista.

wwwhogfan

Of course he just learned all that information about Arkansas.  Who walks around knowing anything but the Mascot of most IA schools in the country.  You have to learn it somewhere.  It impresses me that he is taking the job so seriously. 

homerjsimpson

Quote from: wwwhogfan on April 11, 2007, 08:13:49 am
Of course he just learned all that information about Arkansas.  Who walks around knowing anything but the Mascot of most IA schools in the country.  You have to learn it somewhere.  It impresses me that he is taking the job so seriously. 

Nice! Any links to more of these pics?

little pigee

Frank stated the reason he knew the history several times; "HE'S BEEN THERE!!!" "HE'S BEEN THERE!!!" "HE'S BEEN THERE!!!" "HE'S BEEN THERE!!!"
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

GolfnHog

The fact is: he told the Hog nation how he felt, versus what we wanted to hear. Granted those two elements meshed quite nicely because they were honest and upfront. Like any person that goes into an interview, if you tell what you believe and not what you want them to hear, the listening audience is intelligent enough to know the difference. This man is from the era of "what you see is what you get". He came prepared because it is a core value to him and it will transcend into those that he is tasked in leading. The expectations for me are quite simple. He stays the course in his beliefs and values, the Basketball team prospers and the fans have something positive to ride with. God knows we are overdue.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Razorbackuphere

Im sold too.  This guys got it together folks.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 01:58:52 pm
Quote from: razrken on April 10, 2007, 01:27:04 pm
Lets face it guys if one day Kentucky comes open and he is successful here we will probably lose him...I would not be upset over that.  "When momma calls, sometimes you have to listen"  "Bear" Bryant on his decision to leave A and M to coach Alabama.

ummmm, did Bear forget he was from Arkansas and not Bummer?

Bear Byant was an Alabama alum.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hview on April 10, 2007, 02:57:36 pm
Coach Pelphrey came prepared and his speech indicated he knew what was important to the fans. I was impressed with him. He'll represent the program well and I think he'll do fine as a HC.

I know it is late in season to find a quality point guard, but with a pressing team we are going to need more depth at that position. That is my main concern.

That's exactly right.  Trashing this guy at this point in time does none of us any good at all.

Let's get behind Coach Pelphrey and support him.  He deserves at least that much from us.  WPS!!!

cowboy7290

Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 01:24:25 pm
The one thing that still bothers me, is the comment he made about not wanting to coach at KY because it would tarnish what he did there as a player.  The article in the NW Ark Times today suggested that we had to wait to speak to him until the KY job was filled becuase he was interested in that job.  So that's the first lie.  Should we start keeping count?

No we should not keep count... He was contacted by the search firm not the other way around.. When a search firm contacts you basically you are in the running for that job at that time. To be fair to all parties we should have had to wait untill Ky hired to talk to him... You do not contact a search firm and get in the running they contact you.......

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on April 10, 2007, 01:53:18 pm
Quote from: razorbass on April 10, 2007, 01:40:44 pm
What was it he said about Michael Jordan?

Think he was referring to Charles Balentine's shot in Pine Bluff against #1 UNC.

I knew exactly who he was referring to as making the shot, but I'm afraid that not too many present-day Hog fans could remember it well enough to know our player's name was Charles Balentine. "PANDAMONIUM IN PINE BLUFF!!!"

Actually, the shot wasn't at the buzzer, and that's about the ONLY thing Pelphrey got wrong.  UNC got the ball back with enough time to set up a Joe Wolf shot which rimmed out, allowing us to preserve the win.

cityhog

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 11, 2007, 11:59:30 am
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on April 10, 2007, 01:53:18 pm
Quote from: razorbass on April 10, 2007, 01:40:44 pm
What was it he said about Michael Jordan?

Think he was referring to Charles Balentine's shot in Pine Bluff against #1 UNC.

I knew exactly who he was referring to as making the shot, but I'm afraid that not too many present-day Hog fans could remember it well enough to know our player's name was Charles Balentine. "PANDAMONIUM IN PINE BLUFF!!!"

Actually, the shot wasn't at the buzzer, and that's about the ONLY thing Pelphrey got wrong.  UNC got the ball back with enough time to set up a Joe Wolf shot which rimmed out, allowing us to preserve the win.

Balentine was MONEY with that baseline jumper.  That was ALWAYS his best shot.  I remembered it was Balentine.  Another all time Hog great.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

JP is a good salesman...now forget all of the negativity associated with the word "salesman".  I am not a salesman by trade, I am an engineer that supports a sales organization and thus I have to go out on sales calls to make sure the solution we deliver is technically what the customer one can use, and it meets their technology goals. So having said that he can sell him self and part of that is aligning your self with the people you are "selling" to.  In my opinion I don't care if he came by that information on the internet, the Bud Walton Museum, or a little bird told him.  He took the time to find out about the people he was speaking to and aligned himself with those people.  This is great!!!! On all accounts he is a smart guy, being a smart guy he will prepare himself when he goes to address a crowd and more importantly a RECRUIT.  When you have the ability to connect/align yourself with your audience you have the ability to go far in any occupation.  I personally was hanging on every word the man said and I realized what he was doing at the same time.  This guy is going to be one of our greats and I for one am glad that the girl we had before him backed out.

WPS
LIVE! Do not just Exist!!

wwwhogfan

Quote from: homerjsimpson on April 11, 2007, 10:54:41 am

More pics of my wife?  A little off topic don't you think?

PigKuneDo

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 11, 2007, 11:59:30 am

Yeah his reference was to the picture of Balentine making the shot, which also showed Jordan with his back to the camera... Pel specifically mentioned that Jordan's back was to the camera...

- Bert

football-writer

Quote from: wwwhogfan on April 11, 2007, 02:44:58 pm
Quote from: homerjsimpson on April 11, 2007, 10:54:41 am

More pics of my wife?  A little off topic don't you think?

I'm not sure if that's what he was talking about...but if that's your wife...you are my new hero!
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time