Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey said all of the right things but...

Started by razrken, April 10, 2007, 11:03:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razrken

I like him don't get me wrong...but did you stop to think where he got all of that information about Razorback Hisory.  He almost recited word for word from the museum under Bud Walton arena.  I think he is going to be a great coach, but lets not give him too much credit for knowing about us yet.  He did however do a good job of preparation prior to speaking.  That is definitely a step above where we have been in the past.  WPS

WADHOG

I don't care where he got it, he knew what to say and how to say it.  He was prepared, and that is what winners do.  He got his coaching ability from somewhere too, and that is what has me excited.  Go Hogs.  :)

MHHog

Well, he did coach under Eddie Sutton and he played in the SEC. Maybe he picked up a few things along the way.

hawgslop74

That just tells me that he did his homework and pays attention to detail.
:razorback:

Tigerhog14s

Quote from: WADHOG on April 10, 2007, 11:05:56 am
I don't care where he got it, he knew what to say and how to say it.  He was prepared, and that is what winners do.  He got his coaching ability from somewhere too, and that is what has me excited.  Go Hogs.  :)
Me niehter. You could tell he was proud to become a Razorback. I think he will do a great job. I'm sold.
Clothes make the man, Naked people have no influence on society. -Mark Twain

Lanlord

razorbear

Winners prepare and maybe this is the first sign of what the program will be transformed into next year.  Winners!
Brutha, you got to get real!

HeathHateMe

Well he knew about May-Day since they smoked him so I don't think he had to visit the museum for that.  It shows he will be a great recruiter if he can pick up and retain pertinent details and then use them to sell.  I imagine he would do the same thing walking into a HS field house to talk to a coach or recruit a kid.
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

HairyHog

He, at least, took time to find the words to say, so lets give him credit for that. That other guy (I forgot his name) felt uncomfortable from the beginning. 

kgr

I agree.  So what if he recited it from notes at the arena, talked to Sutton or JFB.  He thought enough about the fans to do his homework.  That shows preparation and forethought.  Preparation and forethought win close ballgames.

A large contrast from the following: well that punt was muffed because we didn't work on or talk about that situation before the game.

MCPeePants

He talked about the triplets and the U.S. Reed shot. He's a guy who claims to have lived and breathed basketball all his life and is always described as being a smart guy.

He would have been, what, about 9-12 years old when the triplets went to the final 4 and when U.S. Reed hit his shot? I imagine he probably saw it on tv and remembers it. I doubt he had to go to the museum to look it up.

moses_007

Least he admitted that Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry and company came to Rupp Arena and beat his Wildcat team. :razorback:

HawgWyld

Quote from: razrken on April 10, 2007, 11:03:18 am
I like him don't get me wrong...but did you stop to think where he got all of that information about Razorback Hisory.  He almost recited word for word from the museum under Bud Walton arena.  I think he is going to be a great coach, but lets not give him too much credit for knowing about us yet.  He did however do a good job of preparation prior to speaking.  That is definitely a step above where we have been in the past.  WPS
Hey, if he can walk the walk, the man will be a definite asset to the UA...

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

socalhogcaller

He cared enough to be prepared.  He's a basketball fan.  He may have been reminded of those things when he toured Walton, but I don't think he made it up.  You can tell, he was one of those kids that slept with his basketball and ate with one hand while dribbling with the other.  It wouldn't surprise me that he might have been watching Louisville during the the championships in 81? 82? when U.S. Reed hit that shot. He was, after all, living in KY. 

He's gonna be good.  Now, let's get somebody as smart as he is on the football sidelines.

HandD used autos

Quote from: MCPeePants on April 10, 2007, 11:23:09 am
He talked about the triplets and the U.S. Reed shot. He's a guy who claims to have lived and breathed basketball all his life and is always described as being a smart guy.

He would have been, what, about 9-12 years old when the triplets went to the final 4 and when U.S. Reed hit his shot? I imagine he probably saw it on tv and remembers it. I doubt he had to go to the museum to look it up.

Good Point!  I can remember CL shot over JP and the Wildcats or Lorenzo White's dunk over Houston without going to a museum !

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

anthonytkr

He was fantastic! Does anyone have any links to footage of his playing days and KY?

Tomhog™

There is no 'but' for me.  He is a person who is detail-oriented and on fire to keep moving this program in the positive.  His compensation package will give him even further drive with upwards of $1.25 mil in bonuses if certain goals are achieved...

ark30inf

Quote from: Razor6 on April 10, 2007, 11:27:44 am
He was well prepped. =)

1) Either he prepped himself....which is great.
2) Or we prepped him....which would indicate we have entered the 20th century in PR capability finally

I tend to think number 1 since 2 is unlikely given all other indicators.  So thats great.  I also tend to think this since he called Crawford "coach" on the radio which was slick...but not something we would think to coach him on.

MCPeePants

April 10, 2007, 11:52:43 am #22 Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:54:43 am by MCPeePants
Quote from: ark30inf on April 10, 2007, 11:37:08 am
He was well prepped. =)

2) Or we prepped him....which would indicate we have entered the 20th century in PR capability finally

or

3) He simply remembers those things from his youth because he was a huge basketball fan and was watching the NCAA tournament every year as a kid just like a lot of us did. 

I don't understand why everyone is just assuming there had to have been some "preparation" done for him to be able to speak about those things. Maybe there was but I imagine it's at least just as likely that he can talk about it because he remembers it.

1hogfan

Quote from: Lanlord on April 10, 2007, 11:11:50 am
He knew more than Altman.
Heck, He knew more than Coach Heath did after 5 years!

Pigroast

He  lived, breathed and played/coached SEC for how many years(10?)?  I would expect that someone as passionate about basketball as he is... would know all those things about the conference he has been in
for so long.

Go Hogs!   :razorback:
"We're gonna pick them up when they get off the damn bus" -Mike Anderson

kgr

Quote from: ark30inf on April 10, 2007, 11:37:08 am
He was well prepped. =)

I tend to think number 1 since 2 is unlikely given all other indicators.  So thats great.  I also tend to think this since he called Crawford "coach" on the radio which was slick...but not something we would think to coach him on.

I heard him address Ron Crawford as "coach" on DTS and it impressed me.  It showed a level of respect and dignity which has been lacking on (from) the hill.  Also, he didn't butcher the English language in his speech.

Bomis Hawg

My homework says that Pelphrey scored 22 with 5 treys in that one game against the Hogs.
23 for Mayberry.  19 for Miller.  18 for Day.  Pelphrey, his senior year, did average 12+ per game in SEC/NCAAT games.

Pelphrey said the right things.  Wasn't a stick in the mud.  That seems to mirror my thoughts of the debale known as the Dana Altman press conference.  He's a guy that coached and played under Sutton.  Played under Petino.  Coached under Donovan.

Donovan and Pitino are no non-sense guys.  Problem comes up, they deal with it the right way.  The few in-house problems will be fixed under Pelphrey.

Style of play suits his team.  Team is game for it, likes the idea.  The think I liked about what he said was the team needed to "toughen up" and get up-to-part with the scheme and running style.  Wonder if he'll talk to a guy that wears #5.

All in all, I think it's a solid hire.  Time will tell if he can be a true adapter of the game like Billy and Rick.  Both of those guys could make the moves and get the game in their direction.  9 scholarships available the next two class (the remainder of this and next year). 

1) getting the players to adapt to his style, prove he can win.  2) get the recruits interested and coming to Arkansas.  3) get the collective fan base as a unit.  Pretty much the goals for the next 12 months for Mr. Pelphrey.

When the SEC slate rolls around, or even the final games of the non-conference slate, Arkansas fans will be ready for a change -- especially with the views of Houston Nutt.  Pelphrey needs to be that bridge.  The guy that makes the fans want to be at Bud Walton.  A guy to unify the masses.  I think he can.  I'm behind him.

Go Hogs.

Razorhogs

I didn't know anything about him, but I like the way he came across in the press conference.  Just someone please tell him that most Arkansas Fans don't like Kentucky.  I didn't like the Kentucky references....

cityhog

The one thing that still bothers me, is the comment he made about not wanting to coach at KY because it would tarnish what he did there as a player.  The article in the NW Ark Times today suggested that we had to wait to speak to him until the KY job was filled becuase he was interested in that job.  So that's the first lie.  Should we start keeping count?

football-writer

AND...doesn't he get a big financial bonus if he has players that are academically sound and that graduate?  No more players in trouble with grades...and if he has their minds focused on achieving something great, I don't believe they'll have time to get into trouble.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

razrken

Lets face it guys if one day Kentucky comes open and he is successful here we will probably lose him...I would not be upset over that.  "When momma calls, sometimes you have to listen"  "Bear" Bryant on his decision to leave A and M to coach Alabama.

GorillaJMonsoon

He also said on DTS that his 10 year old son had been looking up Razorbacks on the internet to see what they were and to learn more about them.  He said his son was telling him how Razorbacks are real tough and have sharp tusks, etc.  I thought that was cool, that his kid, who was getting uprooted from his school and friends in Mobile, was already looking ahead to his new home and trying to get into the flow here.  That alone makes me like them. 

football-writer

Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 01:24:25 pm
The one thing that still bothers me, is the comment he made about not wanting to coach at KY because it would tarnish what he did there as a player.  The article in the NW Ark Times today suggested that we had to wait to speak to him until the KY job was filled becuase he was interested in that job.  So that's the first lie.  Should we start keeping count?

Maybe SOMEONE has grown so paranoid being around Nutt that he sees dissention everywhere.  He hasn't lied to any Springdale recruits yet.  He hasn't sent 1,000-plus text messages to boosters who can then e-mail players.  He IS on his first FULL day as the new coach and already you are looking for the wolf in the sheep's clothing.    I KNOW you're ready to fire Houston and then set him on fire...but ...and keep this in mind....Pelphrey IS NOT HOUSTON NUTT!!!!
Before you call for HIS job, let him have two years to prove you either right or wrong.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

George S. Pigton

If mama does come calling, I figure that will have meant the Hogs have been
kicking UK's butt for several years and doing well in the Dance, I'll take that.
Maybe then we will have the forthought and pocket book to hire a winner
to come in and keep things moving forward insteak of another mid-major type
fellow.

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

kgr

I don't know most Hog Fans disliked KY.  I respect KY and want to win every time we play.  But, I don't have a visceral dislike; and, until recently, KY respected us because they knew it would be a battle.  Now TN football, anything TX for those I have nothing but dislike.

razorbass

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: razorbass on April 10, 2007, 01:40:44 pm
What was it he said about Michael Jordan?

Think he was referring to Charles Balentine's shot in Pine Bluff against #1 UNC.

cityhog

Quote from: razrken on April 10, 2007, 01:27:04 pm
Lets face it guys if one day Kentucky comes open and he is successful here we will probably lose him...I would not be upset over that.  "When momma calls, sometimes you have to listen"  "Bear" Bryant on his decision to leave A and M to coach Alabama.

ummmm, did Bear forget he was from Arkansas and not Bummer?

cityhog

Quote from: football-writer on April 10, 2007, 01:29:42 pm

Maybe SOMEONE has grown so paranoid being around Nutt that he sees dissention everywhere.  He hasn't lied to any Springdale recruits yet.  He hasn't sent 1,000-plus text messages to boosters who can then e-mail players.  He IS on his first FULL day as the new coach and already you are looking for the wolf in the sheep's clothing.    I KNOW you're ready to fire Houston and then set him on fire...but ...and keep this in mind....Pelphrey IS NOT HOUSTON NUTT!!!!
Before you call for HIS job, let him have two years to prove you either right or wrong.

Trust no one and you will never be let down.  Not calling for his job, but just pointing out the OBVIOUS contradiction between what HE said, and what was said in the paper. 

AR_dustoff

I dont care how he knows it..he's excited to be here, so I'm glad!

slopinhogs

April 10, 2007, 02:08:17 pm #41 Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:12:10 pm by slopinhogs
pitino said he was the greatest player he ever coached. he was nothing but hustle and a leader in the locker room and Honorable mention all American and an all sec perfrom er. he remembers playing agings Oliver miller and the may day gang. he said all the right things probably from hearing reading or knowing some guys but i like what he stands for and i think the hogs will be proud they have him. i know i will.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

cmiller01

Did any of you notice that both Pelphrey and White both had written speaches...
But FB seems to always seems to wing it focus on a couple of speaking points and sounds as if he's repeating himself over and over.
With dana the speaking point was that he had "it" and with Pelphrey, "He's been there".
Just something i noticed. hah.

homerjsimpson

Quote from: George S. Pigton on April 10, 2007, 01:32:59 pm
If mama does come calling, I figure that will have meant the Hogs have been
kicking UK's butt for several years and doing well in the Dance, I'll take that.
Maybe then we will have the forthought and pocket book to hire a winner
to come in and keep things moving forward insteak of another mid-major type
fellow.

Or maybe we will have an AD that will step up to the plate and pay the man enough money to stay. Not all that glitters is gold.

homerjsimpson

Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 01:58:52 pm
Quote from: razrken on April 10, 2007, 01:27:04 pm

ummmm, did Bear forget he was from Arkansas and not Bummer?

He played at BAMA

homerjsimpson

Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 02:02:14 pm

Trust no one and you will never be let down.  Not calling for his job, but just pointing out the OBVIOUS contradiction between what HE said, and what was said in the paper. 

Don't believe everything you read in the paper

cityhog

Quote from: homerjsimpson on April 10, 2007, 02:21:36 pm
Quote from: cityhog on April 10, 2007, 02:02:14 pm

Don't believe everything you read in the paper

Okaaaay, but why did he withdraw his name from consideration at USF as soon as the KY job came open?  You can choose to believe we are his "dream job" as he stated in his press conferenceif it makes you feel better.  I choose to believe that his statement is a pot of hooey. 

kenton

JFB was all "he was on our first list, we had to wait for KU to talk to him before we could get him.. yeah yeah he was always on the first list. first list i tell you.  where are my old man pills?"
Hogville is full of winners and smiters.

I'm Kenton Rogers from somewhere in Texas and I APPROVE THIS POST

WMS > RRS
RRS < WMS
WMS = KING

Hogville: IF YOU CAN'T SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW THEN I'M GOING TO DEMEAN YOU BY CALLING THE REPOST POLICE.  Most commonly used phrase on Hogville: Read more.  Post less.  (darn, take your own advice!)

homerjsimpson

Could be that he withdrew his name from USF due to fact that they probably will never compete in the Big East.

We might not be his "dream job" but i do think his dream job is to coach at a school where there is the potential to recruit top players and contend for a conference and national championship. Don't think that will happen at USF>

hview

Coach Pelphrey came prepared and his speech indicated he knew what was important to the fans. I was impressed with him. He'll represent the program well and I think he'll do fine as a HC.

I know it is late in season to find a quality point guard, but with a pressing team we are going to need more depth at that position. That is my main concern.