Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many wins for the hogs b-ball next year?

Started by Jackson-hole, April 09, 2007, 10:55:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

31to6

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: claytongray on April 09, 2007, 01:01:13 pm
Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 11:03:26 am
Quote from: litmachog on April 09, 2007, 11:02:45 am
With the team they have coming back, and hopefully renewed vigor from the players and a style that the other teams have to learn, 20 wins should be expected.  That is 20 wins prior to SEC tourney.  Anything less should be a disappointment.
Our team has to learn the style, too. And apparently he couldn't teach it too terribly well to USA.
It's well within your rights to be negative, but the transformation South Alabama made from pre-Pelphrey (8-20 before he got there) to now (back-to-back regular season champions) leads me to believe he's a little better than you give him credit for.
Stan Heath accomplished the same here; in fact, our program was in WORSE shape when he took it.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

HotlantaHog

A lot depends on the scheduling philosophy. Stan, to his credit, scheduled tough teams, guaranteeing the Hogs a good RPI -- getting us in the NCAAs with a 7-9 SEC record. With the players Arkansas has coming back and Texas already on the schedule, there is no reason for the schedule not to be a Top 15-20 strength of schedule -- down only because Florida will be down next year, so you take the No. 1 team off the schedule.

With an equivalent schedule next year as last year's, there is no reason Hogs can't go 10-6 in the SEC, 11-3 out of conference, and win a couple games in the SEC and NCAAs. That would make Hogs 21-9 pretournament, 23-10 after SEC, and 25-11 after NCAAs.

If the Hogs choose a philosophy of scheduling cupcakes to ensure a good start, Arkansas should go 14-0 out of conference (including beating Texas at home), and end up with 28 wins.

Next year should be good, and it will be interesting to watch to see how it unfolds. The REAL question is the following year, when Hogs lose a ton of talent.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: NEAHawgfan on April 09, 2007, 01:07:05 pm
With the team they have coming back, and hopefully renewed vigor from the players and a style that the other teams have to learn, 20 wins should be expected.  That is 20 wins prior to SEC tourney.  Anything less should be a disappointment.
Our team has to learn the style, too. And apparently he couldn't teach it too terribly well to USA.
The "style" shouln't be hard to learn. Everybody is acting like PB is Michael Jordan. Where was he against Florida? How about USC? He's good, but he's no Corliss or Scottie Thurman. I think he'll stay. Welsh? Who cares? Listen guys, these players are under the mistaken impression that they call the shots at U of A. I guess they think we should all fear them leaving. Why should we? What the hell have they done? If they go.....fine. Let Pelphrey bring in some more. Oh, and by the way, on the "bringing in a coach who hasn't won an NCAA game, or NIT game for that matter." How many did Stan win again? Don't count the ones he won at Kent with somebody elses players either. Give Pel a chance. After all, he does at least want the damn job.
Guess what. When PB didn't do well, the Hogs didn't do well. I can't be optimistic if he leaves. In fact, I'm having a hard time being optimistic about a guy who has zero postseason wins in 5 years. I mean, I heard countless people claiming that it only takes a couple of years to rebuild a BBall program, yet in 5 years, he accomplished 1 NIT loss and 1 NCAAT loss. That's no better than what we lost to USF.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Hog Fan 51

The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Hog Fan 51 on April 09, 2007, 02:45:35 pm
Probably closer than these other predictions. You can't honestly believe that he will come in with a COMPLETELY different style of play and just take the SEC by storm. Talent is NOT everything.

VoR

Before predicting I'm going to wait and see how the tree shakes out 1st.

Before I put unreal expectations on JP and this team I want to know who all we have coming back, and whether or not we lose any of our signee's or not.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Mr. Prozac

LOL...
Hog Fan 51 at 12:57 PM:  7 wins
Hog Fan 51 at  1:44 PM:  15 wins
Hog Fan 51 at  2:45 PM:  12 wins

What will it be at 3:45?

rjmass

Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

H&D

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 02:34:07 pm
Quote from: NEAHawgfan on April 09, 2007, 01:07:05 pm
The "style" shouln't be hard to learn. Everybody is acting like PB is Michael Jordan. Where was he against Florida? How about USC? He's good, but he's no Corliss or Scottie Thurman. I think he'll stay. Welsh? Who cares? Listen guys, these players are under the mistaken impression that they call the shots at U of A. I guess they think we should all fear them leaving. Why should we? What the hell have they done? If they go.....fine. Let Pelphrey bring in some more. Oh, and by the way, on the "bringing in a coach who hasn't won an NCAA game, or NIT game for that matter." How many did Stan win again? Don't count the ones he won at Kent with somebody elses players either. Give Pel a chance. After all, he does at least want the damn job.
Guess what. When PB didn't do well, the Hogs didn't do well. I can't be optimistic if he leaves. In fact, I'm having a hard time being optimistic about a guy who has zero postseason wins in 5 years. I mean, I heard countless people claiming that it only takes a couple of years to rebuild a BBall program, yet in 5 years, he accomplished 1 NIT loss and 1 NCAAT loss. That's no better than what we lost to USF.

It's actually worse then what we HAD!!
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

BennyBlancofromtheRock

BennyBlancofromtheRock

This isn't a slam on Pelphery but I think there are very few who can honestly say that they would have fired Heath in order to hire Pelphrey.

Firing Stan was STUPID!

That said good luck Coach P...I'll be rooting for you.

Now get recruiting. (start at home)

HawgCan

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 10:58:10 am
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 09, 2007, 10:56:37 am
if everybody stays, we'll get at least 24Ws.

That's a HUGE "if" my friend. I don't see PB or MW sticking around to see if a recycled SBC coach can even win a game in the NIT (he couldn't this year).

MW will be here!!  I know him personally and I coached him in peewee basketball and little league baseball and he says he is a Razorback no matter who the coach is!!  But with that said I think he will have no problem playing for our new coach..

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: HawgCan on April 09, 2007, 04:48:53 pm
Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 10:58:10 am
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 09, 2007, 10:56:37 am
if everybody stays, we'll get at least 24Ws.

That's a HUGE "if" my friend. I don't see PB or MW sticking around to see if a recycled SBC coach can even win a game in the NIT (he couldn't this year).

MW will be here!!  I know him personally and I coached him in peewee basketball and little league baseball and he says he is a Razorback no matter who the coach is!!  But with that said I think he will have no problem playing for our new coach..
Sorry about earlier, guys. I was venting my frustration that Houston Nutt has survived WWIII on the Hill (he is the new Hitler in this scenario). I am actually kind of excited about JP, and I'm willing to give him a chance, just as I did Stan Heath. Maybe he'll make the Final Four in his first season, while the FB team loses to TAMU in the Cotton Bowl. Then the healing process in the FB program could begin while we celebrate the success of the BBall program.

Go stAte

Quote from: stuckpig on April 09, 2007, 11:50:11 am
25 if we had kept heath
probably 21 with pelphrey
I'm not saying this is a bad hire, but we will be a step back from what Heath would have done with THIS team THiS year. He recruited the players and we fired him at the most unfortunate time. Stupid decision by a greedy old man who wanted to get "his" guy in before he was shown the door. Too bad JFB loses either way, because when BCG fails at UK(no final fours in four years) if Pelphrey has success hear he will pull a Sutton.

the only problem with that logic is that heath would have been still been "coaching" the team.  the words coaching and heath dont belong in the same sentence. 

hawgslop74

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 02:46:34 pm
Probably closer than these other predictions. You can't honestly believe that he will come in with a COMPLETELY different style of play and just take the SEC by storm. Talent is NOT everything.

Does Bruce Pearl ring a bell to you?

MamaHogFan

oldtimerhog

22 with Heath
18 with Altman
25 with Pelphrey
02 with Dickey or Houston Nutt
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

HeathHateMe

I bet Pelphrey will go out and ball with them very soon at BWA.  He will get their attention after he whoops a few of their a$$es.  Then H and Posse will come over wanting a game and Pelph will say how about a little one on one coach.  Houston will be just like the guy in the cell phone commercial and just about the time he yells "FADER" Pelph will throw his stuff and tell him to get the hell out of his gym.
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

Hogfanman2817

We're gonna figure out how to use the Wildcat in BBall and go all the way, brotha.

King of the Burbs

April 09, 2007, 11:30:24 pm #74 Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:35:09 pm by King of the Burbs
Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 11:06:12 am
Quote from: HawgWyld on April 09, 2007, 11:03:58 am
Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on April 09, 2007, 11:01:03 am
Quote from: arkhog9 on April 09, 2007, 11:00:08 am
25+ if PB stays.  If he leaves, the team is still looking at around 20.  They just have to be more consistent.
No way in Hades they win 20 without PB. You guys act like Stan was a horrible coach. He was better than Pelphrey ever thought about. You'll see.
I guess we will see.

Forgive me for being optimistic, but I'm inclined to think we've got a pretty good coach.

I'd say 20 wins sounds about right. Great team coming back, provided Beverly is on board. If Beverly was willing to stick around for Dana Altman, why wouldn't he stick around for Pelphrey?
We just fired a coach who was 82-71 in 5 years in the SEC after being handed a program in shambles to hire a coach who was 82-67 in 5 years in the SunBelt Conference (if you haven't checked, it's the lowest rated on the Power Rankings among major D I-A conferences in BBall) who couldn't even win an NIT game. At the very best (and it's still a stretch to say the least) we broke even.

This was a team from (you just said it yourself) "the lowest rated on the Power Rankings among major D I-A conferences in BBall" that went into MADISON SQUARE GARDEN to face a pissed-off Syracuse team (you remember them from around Tournament time I'm sure, they were the team that everyone was saying should've gotten in instead of us) and lost by 6 freaking points.  I know it was in the NIT, but if they were the winner of "the lowest rated on the Power Rankings.......conferences in BBall" and playing Syracuse (who was 10-6 in the Big East) at Madison Square Garden, shouldn't they have gotten their A$$ kicked all over the court?  Seems as though Pelphrey actually did a pretty good job coaching his team up against a team that SHOULD overpower a team from the mighty Big East with Boeheim coaching them.  Just my opinion though....

Oh, and my prediction for next year:  Everyone stays (maybe McGowan and Hunter go) and we win 23-25 games in the regular season.  We'll win the West with an 11-5 record.  We'll get into the NCAA Tournament as a #5 seed, win two games and get back to the Sweet 16 for the first time in FOREVER.

Go Hogs!

jjones

with the talent in place and converting into a different style of bball, i will use a different approach and say we will have 8 regular season losses.  If this team can gel and learn an up-tempo style of play, there is no telling how many postseason victories we could have.  GO HOGS!!